Wanting to start a new track. (need advice)

Tbrown747
7/21/2015 8:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2015 6:11pm
There is a track that has been closed down since 2013 due to the owner passing away. I found out the track is still in the family but nobody has touched it. The track is still there and so are the facilities, like bathrooms and concession. I grew up racing on it and it was a great track. I have done planning, and have designed a 3d view of what I would want to do with it. I also have people willing to look into sponsoring if it is reopened.

The first step in this would be to have the permission from the family to re open the track. They wouldn't have to do any work, I would be willing to do everything and pay them for track use as they see fit.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the question is do I call them or would it be okay to make a trip to the area to find where they live and ask them that way?

any advice would greatly appreciated. Thanks
|
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
7/21/2015 9:16pm
I would go talk to them face to face and have a written proposal and then let them get back to you with questions and then you could go from there. Worse they can do is kill you and bury you on the back 40.
Ryno23
Fantasy
779th
7/21/2015 10:25pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2015 10:26pm
Do your homework before you go. As in find out about insurance, proposed hours of operation, riding fees, facilities, water usage, ect. If they see you are all about doing it right and have the means to do it your chances will improve I would imagine. Best of luck to ya. Hate seeing any track close down permanently.
downard254
7/22/2015 4:59am
Ryno23 wrote:
Do your homework before you go. As in find out about insurance, proposed hours of operation, riding fees, facilities, water usage, ect. If they see you...
Do your homework before you go. As in find out about insurance, proposed hours of operation, riding fees, facilities, water usage, ect. If they see you are all about doing it right and have the means to do it your chances will improve I would imagine. Best of luck to ya. Hate seeing any track close down permanently.
This. I think the more prepared and professional your appearance to them, the better your chances of making it happen. I'm afraid though, that the cost of insurance for an MX track is going to scare the bajeezus out of you.
Good Luck.
imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
7/22/2015 5:30am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2015 5:31am
what state is it in

The Shop

JustMX
7/22/2015 5:58am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2015 6:01am
I suspect you are somewhat clueless on what is actually involved in running a track.

Have you ever helped at an event?

Do you have any other experience running.a business?

First.step would be to.ask.them.if.they are interested in having events there. They might not share the late owners love of the sport or might not be interested in the hassle or liability.

I doubt a 3-d plan will impress them as much as knowing something about track prep, Risk management, staffing, and what is realistically involved.in running a track.

Have a conversation with them, ask them why they didn't keep an established track open. Listen to them carefully and objectively. Keep in mind these are people that could be running a track WITHOUT having to pay rent or splitting money.

I was a promoter for 15 years. If you have any other questions pm me.
Highsider
7/22/2015 10:25am
Sleep off the urge.
JustMX
7/22/2015 12:30pm
Way to cut to the chase
Allracing
7/22/2015 1:39pm
So I tried to start my own track, I went and talked to another track owner, when I told him what I wanted to do he said "Do you know the fastest way to make a million dollars running a motocross track?" I said "No" but I really wanted to know so I could do it, he said "You start with two million dollars!"

In all seriousness it costs a lot of money, to run a track the right way. Just leasing the basic equipment(water truck, skid loader, excavator, and bulldozer) you need to run the track decently will run you about $10k a month. Sit down and figure out how many riders you need to show up just to cover that cost at $15-20 dollars a rider. Then no matter how you design or groom the track 50% of the riders will complain about it. If you are looking to do it for fun and not make any money that's one thing, but if you want to do it to make money that's a completely different thing.
hvaughn88
7/22/2015 1:47pm
It's interesting we have a thread about a well-known track closing down and another thread about opening a track on the front page
Tbrown747
7/24/2015 2:46pm
JustMX wrote:
I suspect you are somewhat clueless on what is actually involved in running a track. Have you ever helped at an event? Do you have any...
I suspect you are somewhat clueless on what is actually involved in running a track.

Have you ever helped at an event?

Do you have any other experience running.a business?

First.step would be to.ask.them.if.they are interested in having events there. They might not share the late owners love of the sport or might not be interested in the hassle or liability.

I doubt a 3-d plan will impress them as much as knowing something about track prep, Risk management, staffing, and what is realistically involved.in running a track.

Have a conversation with them, ask them why they didn't keep an established track open. Listen to them carefully and objectively. Keep in mind these are people that could be running a track WITHOUT having to pay rent or splitting money.

I was a promoter for 15 years. If you have any other questions pm me.

I really appreciate all the advice. Sorry it took a little while to respond.
I have grew up around racing and I do realize all the cost that goes into it. I'm working on a business degree and I work as a Financial advisor dealing with insurance, retirement etc. We are employees but have to run our own business, I do not know everything that will go into running a track but I have experience in certain areas that will help.

Tbrown747
7/24/2015 2:58pm
lostboy819 wrote:
I would go talk to them face to face and have a written proposal and then let them get back to you with questions and then...
I would go talk to them face to face and have a written proposal and then let them get back to you with questions and then you could go from there. Worse they can do is kill you and bury you on the back 40.
That's a great Idea. I will be sure to have that all on paper before I go down there. I'm really hoping for a yes because its a 2 hour drive up there to their house lol but a phone call is just to easy to decline rather than someone being right in front of you.
The Rock
7/24/2015 4:18pm
My parents are from Tennessee and I was raised you never drop in on anyone but instead should contact them ahead of time as a courtesy. In this instance in the wake of the passing of 2013 all the more reason to handle this situation with kid gloves.

As a professional salesperson I avoid putting anyone on the spot as much as possible if I am trying to close a deal. No one enjoys being rushed. Personally I would put together a presentation and send it by e mail or snail mail with the request after they've had a chance to look at your proposal they'd like to get together.
Tbrown747
7/24/2015 6:11pm
The Rock wrote:
My parents are from Tennessee and I was raised you never drop in on anyone but instead should contact them ahead of time as a courtesy...
My parents are from Tennessee and I was raised you never drop in on anyone but instead should contact them ahead of time as a courtesy. In this instance in the wake of the passing of 2013 all the more reason to handle this situation with kid gloves.

As a professional salesperson I avoid putting anyone on the spot as much as possible if I am trying to close a deal. No one enjoys being rushed. Personally I would put together a presentation and send it by e mail or snail mail with the request after they've had a chance to look at your proposal they'd like to get together.
Ive thought about that. I was raised the same way, its just one of many things about southern hospitality. I just found out that one of my friends knows their son and played football with him. So hopefully he will be willing to kinda be the middle man as to getting her to listen to me and give me a chance.

Thank you for the advice.

Post a reply to: Wanting to start a new track. (need advice)

The Latest