Want to Help Privateers?

TeamGreen
Edited Date/Time 9/11/2013 1:39pm
(As discussed in the "something's gotta change" thread: please keep the angst and politics over there, thanks)

There are plenty of riders out there that could use a little help.

You can help these guys by simply...asking. Literally, do ya know a Privateer? Ask him what he needs and/or how you can help. Yes, sometimes the answer is gonna be "I need a Ton of Money" ;but, in reality, a can of "Race-Gas"...a Tire...some gas money...be his Mechanic when he doesn't have one...etc. If you ask, he'll have an answer that most of you can fit into your own way of helping.

I know. I've done all of these things and it DOES WORK. You can and will make a difference.

Many of you ain't got much to give. I get it; but, the VAST majority of us can do "Something". Hell, I've even seen people "host" riders in their home during a race weekend or even between races while on the road.

Do ya have a few bucks & you'd like to make a difference? You can help a guy by getting him a Bike...and get creative.
Your guy rides a KX450F? Well, guess what: they're about $5-$5.5K right now for the '13!
It's the same as a '14...and it pays still.

Want to go Real Big? Help out with Travel (Help him book his stuff EARLY!, too. Waaaaay fewer $ that way). Travel is the SINGLE biggest expense for the Privateer.

I spent about $30K sending Jiri Dostal to all the 2008 SX's...and that's on-top of around $30K of his own. Note: That was 3 Bikes (2 he got thru a dealer-deal and 1 that I bought. You ALWAYS want YOUR bikes to be the "Race" Bike). We used our 42' Motorhome (F750 Fun Mover) for the West Coast "swing" and raced outta the Wart-Hog rig for the East. This also paid for the "ESPN" Races in San Diego and The X-Games: $60K...that's not nearly as much money has folks discuss else-where.

Going lighter? You can buy a can of race gas for $60-$130...obviously depends on which race-gas (I'm a VP Race Fuels guy. PERIOD) How about $50 to go in his Trucks gas tank?

A REALLY easy way: Pre-Paid Debit-Card.

Buy the guy Lunch...whatever.

Here's the thing: If you give this a try...?

You have..."Done Something".

A note: A certain "Coolant Manufacturer" in here has done more for too many privateers for me to count. He's helped me find good rides for Really FAST guys that needed a little help when they were down, too. A guy he knows get's hurt? This goof-ball manages to help raise thousands of $$$ (Tens of thousands, actually). I'm talkin' about Engine Ice Dave: One of the Very Few that we can call "Core" & it truly means something. If your in the South-East? He WILL know a guy that could use some help.

If we try, we WILL make a difference.
|
Sondy132001
9/10/2013 12:48pm
My brother, Marc and I have hosted many a riders during the 2-3 month beginning of SX, Austin Squires, ha I met Austin when I walked in the door and he was sleeping on my couch... ME: who the hell are you ? AS:who the hell are you ? um I own this house haha Jason Frenette, Jamie Dobbs, Jason Buttles, Dean Grant, lots of Canadians and South Africans, Australians, Kiwi's, Northern Californians and East Coasters. They don't take up much space, a couch, a spare bedroom, maybe even a driveway (sleep in their vans) and use your shower. We even had John Dowd kick it a week at our race track, Sunrise Valley Raceway back in the 90's, when his transmission went out, him and B stayed there until it got fixed.

Haven't done it in recent years, but I just moved and got a spare room if it would help someone out.

S
TeamGreen
9/10/2013 12:52pm
Everyone, meet Sondy...

Sondy, this is everyone...

To the Peanut Gallery...remember the little Blonde Hottie at Sign-Up at the Golden State Series...? Damn...we're talking "Huron"!

Nice Post, Lady. Your dad must be Proud...a TRUE MOTO Family.

The Shop

Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
997th
9/10/2013 2:48pm
Great idea's! I can't do much, but dammit! I'm in!!! Sign me up coach!Smile
rallendude
9/10/2013 3:19pm
Speaking of EID. Ain't seen him around much lately.

All very well put. $50 might be what keeps a guy at the races next week. Buy him a bike? That's your bike when he's done. It's not all gone. Good investments.
motoBRD
9/10/2013 5:11pm
Last year during SX, I decided I wanted to help some privateers. I'm just finishing college in public relations, so all I had to offer was my writing skills. Good on the guys buying bikes. That just wasn't in the cards. So I emailed a bunch of guys and support teams. Ed over at FirepoliceMx was the only one that got back to me, and I helped write race reports all season. It was pretty cool. We had our stuff on the major sites and even worked on Facebook to get some big names to share our stuff. Good experience.

My next project is still up in the air. Anyone know anything about the Warthog Racing deal a few years back? I heard they gave out gas cards, entry fees and other help to privateers.

My idea for helping privateers is similar to WWR. Since I am still low on funds, my idea is to set up a crowdfund for many people who want to pitch in a few bucks. If we reach a certain funding goal, all the money would be divided to the top 5 or 10 privateers at each round of SX. I would think some paypal system would be most effective at distributing the funds.

Is that a good idea? Any thoughts or suggestions? Obviously the idea needs some more details worked out, but I just can't stand all these privateer help threads where nothing gets done. I feel like if there are people who are passionate about keeping the core of our sport racing, let's assemble, raise some money, and help some privateers keep racing.
dkg
9/10/2013 6:16pm
My brother, Marc and I have hosted many a riders during the 2-3 month beginning of SX, Austin Squires, ha I met Austin when I walked...
My brother, Marc and I have hosted many a riders during the 2-3 month beginning of SX, Austin Squires, ha I met Austin when I walked in the door and he was sleeping on my couch... ME: who the hell are you ? AS:who the hell are you ? um I own this house haha Jason Frenette, Jamie Dobbs, Jason Buttles, Dean Grant, lots of Canadians and South Africans, Australians, Kiwi's, Northern Californians and East Coasters. They don't take up much space, a couch, a spare bedroom, maybe even a driveway (sleep in their vans) and use your shower. We even had John Dowd kick it a week at our race track, Sunrise Valley Raceway back in the 90's, when his transmission went out, him and B stayed there until it got fixed.

Haven't done it in recent years, but I just moved and got a spare room if it would help someone out.

S
Good, suggestion, probably could do the same (after checking with my better half). Of course they better like BBQ once in a while.Smile
9/10/2013 6:46pm
I cannot afford large sums of cash, but I am down for kicking in funds, gas cards or other type gift cards. Just say when & where.

I don't know ya TG, but you're good people! Grinning
velocitygear
9/10/2013 10:11pm
I cannot afford large sums of cash, but I am down for kicking in funds, gas cards or other type gift cards. Just say when &...
I cannot afford large sums of cash, but I am down for kicking in funds, gas cards or other type gift cards. Just say when & where.

I don't know ya TG, but you're good people! Grinning
Same here!

Team Green I applaud you, those numbers are staggering! I can't even begin to think of even scratching that surface!

But;

Is there any way to implement a donation strategy at SX events? Or is Monster / Feld going to eliminate such a possibility?

An optional buck at the gate entrance (Monster girls taking donations Smile ) would go a hell of a lot further than anything I could ever muster! I'd like to see something that evolves the sport and helps all privateers. Is that in ANY WAY possible?

and if so, how in the world do you get it started. Such an idea needs to be started by DP or someone in a similiar position, right? Or is there another way?
500guy
9/11/2013 10:14am
it's almost laughable that the discussion thread rages on 6-7 pages but the thread where someone has a plan and will do something dies a slow death.

End of story, lots of complaining going on but when it comes to action not much will happen because everyone just wants to bitch about why the other guy should do more.
Tracktor
9/11/2013 11:45am
Years ago there was a place at Motodrive where you could sign up and "host" a traveling privateer. I don't think it went anywhere?

Frankly, the best help I see to give them is advice to make sure they have a solid back up plan for life after moto. This sport chews them up and it isn't getting any better the direction it's now headed, imo..........................
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2421st
9/11/2013 12:16pm
Team Green,

Just want to give you kudos for what you do and have done for the sport. As Velocity said, you are very generous
to our sport.

Thank you
PS
IWreckALot
9/11/2013 12:33pm
Tracktor wrote:
Years ago there was a place at Motodrive where you could sign up and "host" a traveling privateer. I don't think it went anywhere? Frankly, the...
Years ago there was a place at Motodrive where you could sign up and "host" a traveling privateer. I don't think it went anywhere?

Frankly, the best help I see to give them is advice to make sure they have a solid back up plan for life after moto. This sport chews them up and it isn't getting any better the direction it's now headed, imo..........................
My sentiment beyone X1,000

I wish riders would pitch community colleges or universities or even trade schools as sponsors. And rather than asking for money to sponsor the school, have the school offer tuition. The demographic is spot on for the collges to want to pitch in.
mxadam579
9/11/2013 12:48pm
Everybody needs help everybody needs money. I like looking at some of these guys instagram photos buying guns buying ammo buying top of the line s-works bicycles buying a lot of stuff they dont need. If they dont spend THERE money on all the unessential items they may be able to pay there own fees and not want money.
velocitygear
9/11/2013 1:29pm Edited Date/Time 9/11/2013 1:30pm
500guy wrote:
it's almost laughable that the discussion thread rages on 6-7 pages but the thread where someone has a plan and will do something dies a slow...
it's almost laughable that the discussion thread rages on 6-7 pages but the thread where someone has a plan and will do something dies a slow death.

End of story, lots of complaining going on but when it comes to action not much will happen because everyone just wants to bitch about why the other guy should do more.
I know, right! I'd love to help but the reality is my pocket is limited. I'm going to try to help DA#63 but again, I'm chump change. However, the spectators at events at an optional $1 a piece could make a HUGE difference!

Nobody here has any thoughts or persons they know that could at least look into the donation strategy at SX events?

Hey Gibby, where's you? You're at all the events, what say you?
mxb2
9/11/2013 1:39pm
mxadam579 wrote:
and tattoos
plenty of tats and diamonds on privateers, not sure where that money comes from.?

Post a reply to: Want to Help Privateers?

The Latest