Walking the track

mikec265
6/11/2019 8:57pm
My favorite tracks walks were at my own track in NorCal, at the end of the day, with my boy. He was 6 or 7 on...
My favorite tracks walks were at my own track in NorCal, at the end of the day, with my boy. He was 6 or 7 on a sx50. We’d talk about how we’d nailed certain lines, look at the ruts we’d made, pick rocks, and lie about how fast we were. A cold beer in one hand and his hand in the other. Nuthin better.
I just did that tonight with my 5 year old at home, minus the beer. Walked before and after riding.
Hammer 663s
6/11/2019 9:16pm
My favorite tracks walks were at my own track in NorCal, at the end of the day, with my boy. He was 6 or 7 on...
My favorite tracks walks were at my own track in NorCal, at the end of the day, with my boy. He was 6 or 7 on a sx50. We’d talk about how we’d nailed certain lines, look at the ruts we’d made, pick rocks, and lie about how fast we were. A cold beer in one hand and his hand in the other. Nuthin better.
mikec265 wrote:
I just did that tonight with my 5 year old at home, minus the beer. Walked before and after riding.
Way back in the day. They grow up fast. He's 13 now but we still ride together every chance we get. We don't have our own track anymore but when I win the lottery we damn sure will again.

mxer15
6/12/2019 3:14am
I used to walk the track but then I just started looking at a few corners after the start to see where I could pass or be passed at the start. As far as sighting lap not sure I ever got a sighting lap at local race track track. And one of the reasons I stopped walking the track was because track changed so much, I found it more fruitful to get to starting area early and watch a Moto or two to see where lines formed.
Rupert X
6/12/2019 4:29am
When I started racing NESC in the Mid 70's, seems like it was not just a tradition, but perhaps mandatory ? Seems like I remember hundreds of riders walking the Southwick track, for instance, before - or after you had your helmet inspected (!!)?

The Shop

sandtrack315
6/12/2019 2:27pm
I don’t. That’s what first gear and a sight lap are for.

I do remember doing it Friday night at the races when I was younger. I think it was more about being excited to ride the track than strategy, but we convinced ourselves it was the latter.
Dropbear
6/12/2019 3:55pm
Always at a new track or one I haven’t ridden for a while.

If it was a weekly or fortnightly race, I usually didn’t bother, maybe only just check out a new jump or obstacle.
Dropbear
6/12/2019 3:57pm
Heikki checking the track out in style.
Jbrady247
6/12/2019 9:08pm
If I have ridden the track before I will give it the scan over. But at the pipe age of 32 this year I raced my first arenacross and supercross futures. I took every minute possible at track walk especially at sx. That was the hardest track I have ridden.
Vet57
6/13/2019 4:47am
Rupert X wrote:
When I started racing NESC in the Mid 70's, seems like it was not just a tradition, but perhaps mandatory ? Seems like I remember hundreds...
When I started racing NESC in the Mid 70's, seems like it was not just a tradition, but perhaps mandatory ? Seems like I remember hundreds of riders walking the Southwick track, for instance, before - or after you had your helmet inspected (!!)?

Yes sir! Remember half time intermission when everyone (or most) would be out walking the track as well.
6/14/2019 2:30am
Goon126 wrote:
When I started racing as a kid in the 90s at GFI Paris Raceway, we would get to the track early on race day and would...
When I started racing as a kid in the 90s at GFI Paris Raceway, we would get to the track early on race day and would walk the track. There would be several people walking the track. Now it doesn’t seem like many people walk the track if any at all. Do any of you still walk the track on race day?
I/we have always walked the track since day one, we would even walk the track at the end of the day and see how the track developed during the day. As an adult maybe not as important but as a junior its makes a huge difference.Every year during the Aussies (5 Day event) we would walk the track every morning and every afternoon.It might seem extreme but if you can dial the track in 1 lap and the competition are still looking for there lines after 2 laps you have a big advantage.
ti473
6/14/2019 6:23am
I would barely make clean bike practice after speeding all the way to the track and defiling the woods, so generally no. I did like doing it the few times I got a chance to though, however I'm not sure how much it helps as things look so much different than when you're on the bike.

Post a reply to: Walking the track

The Latest