WTF is with the rate of top riders getting sick, "food poisoning" or mystery ailment?

OldTiddler
Edited Date/Time 4/10/2014 8:55am
Seems to happen to one contender or another every week. Too much airport food?
|
4/6/2014 5:07am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2014 5:08am
In the colder areas of the country if has been the winter from hell, very long and cold and lots of illnesses going around as a result of that. Or maybe Feld is to blame.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/6/2014 5:15am
Imagine signing autographs for a few hundred fans every weekend (between dealer signings and at the track). Now picture how many of those fans want a photo with you. What percentage of those who lean in next to them do you think might have a cold or the flu, and are more worried about their moment with the rider than they are about the rider's health?
lumpy790
4/6/2014 5:43am
Every time my wife flys she gets sick a couple days later....I always thought it was from Rebreathing everyone else's germs that gets circulated through the planes air system
DonM
4/6/2014 5:49am
They always call it food poisoning and it clearly is not...it's kinda funny how the "food poisoning" has been spreading through the pits...it must be an epidemic....

The Shop

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
4/6/2014 6:20am
GuyB wrote:
Imagine signing autographs for a few hundred fans every weekend (between dealer signings and at the track). Now picture how many of those fans want a...
Imagine signing autographs for a few hundred fans every weekend (between dealer signings and at the track). Now picture how many of those fans want a photo with you. What percentage of those who lean in next to them do you think might have a cold or the flu, and are more worried about their moment with the rider than they are about the rider's health?
Add in the time they spend traveling, training and riding and the immune system takes a hit.
Trav138
4/6/2014 6:36am
Why can't they go back to the epstein barr days of old.
I was thinking the same,that was an epidemic back then.
rcannon
4/6/2014 6:40am
If you happen to be listed in the top ten of Supercross racing, do eat food thats randomly offered to you. Its obvious we have someone handing out contaminated corn dogs.

Its always corn dogs since the smell, and taste of the fried portion will cover up the spoiled flavor. Its just my thought, and may not be 100% accurate.
scooter5002
4/6/2014 6:51am
I've been flying twice a month for just over two years now, and I can't tell you how many times I've gotten sick within a couple days of my flight. This from a guy who hasn't had the flu for years, and rarely get a cold. Airports and planes are nasty places, would imagine that has something to do with it as well.
rcm406
4/6/2014 6:56am
I've been flying twice a month for just over two years now, and I can't tell you how many times I've gotten sick within a couple...
I've been flying twice a month for just over two years now, and I can't tell you how many times I've gotten sick within a couple days of my flight. This from a guy who hasn't had the flu for years, and rarely get a cold. Airports and planes are nasty places, would imagine that has something to do with it as well.
Don't most of the top guys fly private and not commercial?
LtColMXUSM131
Fantasy
270th
4/6/2014 7:00am
It is the new Epstein–Barr.
Remember when everyone was getting that a few years back.
And now it is gone.
DonM
4/6/2014 7:01am
I've been flying twice a month for just over two years now, and I can't tell you how many times I've gotten sick within a couple...
rcm406 wrote:
Don't most of the top guys fly private and not commercial?
No...just Stewart
scooter5002
4/6/2014 7:02am
Don't know, I assumed commercial. Private would certainly cost a pretty penny, wouldn't it?
Beast666
4/6/2014 7:49am
With nutrition being such a hot subject with the top riders and trainers it is easy to see how a lot of these riders can come down with food poisoning. I myself watch what I eat very carefully and when I am at home it is no big deal as I purchase my foods at the same store week in and week out and prepare it the same way, My problem is I am out on the road nearly every weekend and find that I can go and eat at the same chain restaurant in a different city and eat the same meal. While one place I have no problem with the meal. Yet I eat the same meal at another city and it will go right thru my gut in less than 15 minutes of stepping out from the meal.

I honestly think that just a slight change in the way a meal is prepped or where the food is sourced from can upset the digestive system of a person that eats healthy and has a very strict diet over a person that chows down whatever fast food they feel like.

A good example of this is I spent a weekend with my parents and daughter they all wanted pizza while I wanted something else. To make a long story short 2 slices of peperoni and a salad with just red wine vinegarette for dressing had me sitting on the porcelain throne for 2 days while everyone else was fine.
kongols
4/6/2014 7:54am
I don`t think Stewart had food poisoning. From what I understood he was very sick all week.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/6/2014 7:56am
DonM wrote:
They always call it food poisoning and it clearly is not...it's kinda funny how the "food poisoning" has been spreading through the pits...it must be an...
They always call it food poisoning and it clearly is not...it's kinda funny how the "food poisoning" has been spreading through the pits...it must be an epidemic....
Food poisoning in Vegas can be something else entirely.
Beast666
4/6/2014 8:00am
GuyB wrote:
Best advice for Lost Wages is to stay away from the buffets. (They are all over priced now). I get down there at least a dozen times a year and will always get away from the strip to find my meals.
DonM
4/6/2014 8:02am
DonM wrote:
They always call it food poisoning and it clearly is not...it's kinda funny how the "food poisoning" has been spreading through the pits...it must be an...
GuyB wrote:
Yeah, somebody must have put something in my drink....ummm it's called alcohol Sick
jasonward73
4/6/2014 8:17am
I certainly don't train at a fraction of the level these guys do but I travel about 3-4x as much as they do and eat out all the time. I have done this since 2000. I rack up nearly 150k actual seat miles and only travel in the "lower 48" each year. I am far from a germaphobe but pay attention to what I touch and generally eat at places that are busy chains or hot local places with high ratings on TripAdvisor.

I've never had food poisoning. I only average less than 1 cold a year, sometimes go a year or two with no illness. Maybe I am a freak but just because you travel doesn't mean you get sick.

Now the interaction with all the kids. That's a more likely culprit. The things I see my daughter touch and then how often her fingers are in her mouth literally makes me gag at times. It drives me crazy. I'm sure they interact with tons of these germed up kids all the time.
dkg
4/6/2014 9:00am
DonM wrote:
GuyB wrote:
That's all part of the "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" thing consume it there leave it there . . . . One way or the other. Evil
pummel
Fantasy
370th
4/6/2014 9:34am
I think that these guys train extremely hard travel a ton, shake hands with a lot of people and have very specific restrictive diets. They are trying to get their bodies to work at the highest level possible. Just like a super pumped up 250f with a little questionable gas in it,they end up being much more sensitive to bad food then most other people.
Hank_Thrill
4/6/2014 9:49am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2014 9:55am
GuyB wrote:
Imagine signing autographs for a few hundred fans every weekend (between dealer signings and at the track). Now picture how many of those fans want a...
To add to this, as hard as these guys train and as physically demanding Saturday's are, it can take a toll on the immune system.

Also factor in another immune weakener, the PSYCHOLOGICAL STRESS that comes along with the territory; feeling pressure from sponsors, feeling pressure they put on themselves, race day stress, along with any personal life stressors, can also have an enormous effect on the immune system. It's NOT a matter of whether these guys come across pathogens that make them sick - that happens all of us every day. What determines whether they get sick is how well their immune system are functioning. Professional moto is both a physically and mentally stressful job.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
4/6/2014 10:10am
I think it comes from eating sushi. These guys are on very strict diets and sushi is a great protein, no carb (if you don't do the rice or rolls), low fat, food source. Also, when people are on very strict diets, sometimes going off of it for one meal can really screw up your digestive system - I have experienced that before. I travel every week of the year Ina plane going somewhere. I'm in an airport right now ironically. I rarely get sick, ever. I know planes and airports aren't good, but for people with strong immune systems it doesn't always pose a problem. I'm with Gibby. I think it has more to do with meeting fans, shaking hands, hugs, autographs, etc. jMHO
CR250
4/6/2014 11:07am
THIS IS NOT A CONSPIRACY THEORY....JUST A THOUGHT!!!!

Oxygen Toxicity? I don't know if these guys warm up on their stationary bikes with an oxygen mask supplement. But I can tell you from experience if you get too much oxygen it feels exactly like food poisoning. Sweats, Nausea, Cramping and Vomiting. And it take about a day or two to feel better.
CamP
4/6/2014 12:09pm
Airports and airplanes are germ farms. It's not the airplane air that makes you sick. It's everything you touch that's already been touched by someone that's sick. Touch your eyes, and bam...you're sick a few days later.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
4/6/2014 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/6/2014 12:56pm
GuyB wrote:
UpTiTe wrote:
Add in the time they spend traveling, training and riding and the immune system takes a hit.
You hit the nail on the head. The level of training these guys do promotes a constant systemic inflammatory process that can't help but make them more susceptible to bacterial and viral illnesses. Their bodies are constantly sending out white blood(WBC's)cells, macrophages, etc. because of this constant inflammatory reaction process. The bacteria that are constantly exposed to them, WBC's, etc., develop resistance more than you and I, thus, they are more apt to get sick and more often.

This cycle is what can lead to an exacerbation to the latent mono virus, that is dormant, and can lead to chronic mono(Epstein-Barr). Therefore, the results to both are a compromised immune system with similar results, although these incidents are more acute.
zehn
4/6/2014 2:27pm
DonM wrote:
I'm not making any accusations here, but in the cycling world, "food poisoning" its often codeword for getting a bad batch of drugs.
Knapton
4/6/2014 2:42pm
I dont think its flying. Ive been flying lots lately and have yet to get sick (knock on wood) Just wash your hands regularly and dont be putting your fingers in your mouth when your out in public touching stuff
BobbyM
4/6/2014 2:45pm
OldTiddler wrote:
Seems to happen to one contender or another every week. Too much airport food?
AS an old school graduate i must say we rarely got sick like guys do nowadays and if we did we didn't bitch and moan about it for christ sakes. i mean do you really want somebody to know yer shittin yer pants?
BobbyM
4/6/2014 2:52pm
GuyB wrote:
they been doing this shit for years guyb...built up immunities throughout the years. thats how the immune system works haven't you heard?

and these guys talk about training hard etc. yer fucking up if yer training hard during the week racing scooters. that shit is done pre season not during the season. you think the nfl trains during the season like they do in training camp?

man most of these dorks on here are dumber than a small dog

Post a reply to: WTF is with the rate of top riders getting sick, "food poisoning" or mystery ailment?

The Latest