WTF Yamaha frame?

RandyS
I'm sandblasting my 03 YZ2T project frame and underneath where the down tubes meet the tube holding the swingarm bolt inner hangers there is a buildup of brass. Not like it was cracked and someone tried to braze the weld but a flat rectangular buildup of material going from the cross tube holding the inner hangers forward about two inches on the down tubes. Surely this must be a Chad Reeds 03 SX bike, anyone have a clue why Dave Dye(or some hacker in his garage) would do this? Baffled.
|
RandyS
9/13/2016 8:45pm
Almost 450 views, 0 replies. Guess I can surmise that it's not some trick vibration dampening mod that all the factories do, probably just some tweaker with a torch.
motomx88
9/13/2016 9:33pm
We use to do that on our race bikes back in the day. It was to anneal the area to have more flex. Only problem was it had an tendency to crack.
RandyS
9/14/2016 11:11am
I convinced myself that the drain holes got plugged, water sat, rusted through the tubes, and some dumbass brazed the holes up. So I decided to look on Ebay to see if I could find a frame with a title, and found this. Unless this is the guys brother they came from the factory like this. I powdercoated an 04 450 and don't remember seeing this. Has Yamaha done this on other frames and I never noticed. And why? Look where the downtubes meet the cross member, you'll see brazing about 2" long on both.

Post a reply to: WTF Yamaha frame?

The Latest