WTF KTM/WP 2019 450-SXF Issues

8/10/2018 8:11pm
Unfortunately a great decision to get a new bike, although a little snafu, who new you were going to get a little lemon,
Keep an eye on the fuel filter for more shavings, it would be great to know their origin.

Im sure it,s an awesome bike.
Solidkm
8/10/2018 8:38pm
You could have gotten a lemon from any manufacturer. Props to RG3 denver. Hope you get it sorted quickly. Bummer for sure.
atrdrvr7
8/11/2018 3:03am
Total bummer! I just bought one 3 weeks ago and it has been great. Other than a bit of popping on decel which I fixed myself. My only complaint is that weird arse bend on the Neken bars. Once you get it dialed in I think your going to be really happy with it. I coming off a 16'. Bike turns and over all just handles better. Power is great. Very linear and easy to use. Good luck with everything.
8/11/2018 3:05am
Mate that sucks, nothing worse than having a new scooter in the garage that you can't ride.
I had a new KTM 350, it came with the link arm nut missing.
A friend has the 2017 model KTM 450, he couldn't get his forks feeling right sent, the forks to the local suspension guy
and found the valve and shim stack in pieces in the bottom of his fork.

As sad as it is to say, you need to double check everything on new bikes before you start sending it. Otherwise it
may end badly.

The Shop

Cory128
8/11/2018 5:01am
atrdrvr7 wrote:
Total bummer! I just bought one 3 weeks ago and it has been great. Other than a bit of popping on decel which I fixed myself...
Total bummer! I just bought one 3 weeks ago and it has been great. Other than a bit of popping on decel which I fixed myself. My only complaint is that weird arse bend on the Neken bars. Once you get it dialed in I think your going to be really happy with it. I coming off a 16'. Bike turns and over all just handles better. Power is great. Very linear and easy to use. Good luck with everything.
How did you fix the deceleration pop?
grunkster
8/11/2018 5:18am
I know a busy suspension guy who does a ton of wp...he says the quality control is very poor. Finds all kinds of issues
Cory128
8/11/2018 5:23am
grunkster wrote:
I know a busy suspension guy who does a ton of wp...he says the quality control is very poor. Finds all kinds of issues
The more people i talk to the more issues that seem to pop up. I never really hear of the same issues again and again though, but yes i have a had few suspension guys say they find all sorts of issues. I have no doubt the bike is going to great. I feel confident in the testing and engineering of the bike. It is just a bummer they seem to cut corners in the assembly process and/or final QC.
jeffro503
8/11/2018 6:28am
Cory128 wrote:
So here's an update. First off i drove 6hrs one way to get the bike due to the fact all the local dealers were out of...
So here's an update. First off i drove 6hrs one way to get the bike due to the fact all the local dealers were out of stock. The next shipments of KTM's is due in September from what i was told. I called WP and left 2 messages about my issue and asked to be called back asap. I have not received any call back.
I also called the local dealer and the soonest anyone would look at the bike was Aug 23rd and some said no sooner than Aug 29th. These dates were just to look at it.
So heres what i did. I went to RG3 Denver and he hooked me up with a complete cartridge from a Spring Conversion bike. It took 2 mins for him to make the switch and i am very greatful. If anyone needs Suspension serive I highly recommend Matt @ RG3 Denver. I am going to mail the messed up Cartridge to Elite Ktm in Loveland and let me look into the issue.
So thats where i am at. There is clearly a problem with the Cartridge now feeling what a prorper working one should feel like. I am glad i caught this issue before i hit the track and potentially had a much bigger issue and/or possible injury. FYI to everyone reading this. Please don't take the words of others. Check your stuff yourself thoroughly and do your maintenance before you hit the track. YOU NEVER KNOW!
Cory.....any way to blow out that filter and be able to get some riding in? Did you get another one ordered up?
Cory128
8/11/2018 6:33am
jeffro503 wrote:
Cory.....any way to blow out that filter and be able to get some riding in? Did you get another one ordered up?
Yes. I flushed the tank and cleaned all the lines along with the filter. They were clearly shavings from milling. Long and skinny so they were easy to find. I was just shocked as to how many there were in the tank and filter.
Moto96
8/11/2018 6:56am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2018 6:57am
Tim507 wrote:
Bummer.....most of these issues should have been picked up at the dealer IMHO and Factory QC prior to shipping.

c0ncEpT wrote:
Have you seen how dealers prep bikes? They literally bolt the front wheel on and sprits some oil on the air filter. That's about the extent...
Have you seen how dealers prep bikes?

They literally bolt the front wheel on and sprits some oil on the air filter. That's about the extent of the $300-$500 prep fee most dealers charge.
Nobody pays for that anymore. I've never paid for that.
atrdrvr7
8/11/2018 12:12pm
atrdrvr7 wrote:
Total bummer! I just bought one 3 weeks ago and it has been great. Other than a bit of popping on decel which I fixed myself...
Cory128 wrote:
bumped the TPS up to .60v. Cleared it right up. Still thinking of sending ECU to Twisted Development to clean up the maps.
Cory128
8/11/2018 7:40pm
atrdrvr7 wrote:
Cory128 wrote:
atrdrvr7 wrote:
bumped the TPS up to .60v. Cleared it right up. Still thinking of sending ECU to Twisted Development to clean up the maps.
May i asked how you did this?
Eddieg15
8/12/2018 6:04am
They say that KTMs would not pass the Japanese quality controls standards
Bull sh!!!!!tyttt
captmoto
8/12/2018 9:13am
Cory128 wrote:
atrdrvr7 wrote:
Cory128 wrote:
May i asked how you did this?
I've done it, it is way easier to do than to explain. This is a basic explanation and there is more on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWclkhd6weU
mx317
8/12/2018 10:34am
jeffro503 wrote:
Cory128 wrote:
Yes. I flushed the tank and cleaned all the lines along with the filter. They were clearly shavings from milling. Long and skinny so they were...
Yes. I flushed the tank and cleaned all the lines along with the filter. They were clearly shavings from milling. Long and skinny so they were easy to find. I was just shocked as to how many there were in the tank and filter.
You should have been given some extra fuel filters in your bag with your manual. It is usually 3 extra filters and a wash cap for the fuel lines.
8/12/2018 1:43pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2018 1:45pm
Can’t believe you didn’t just take the fucker back and demand another unit or your money back.

Spend 10k and then run around trying to fix shit ? You shouldn’t have to fuck with a new bike at all for the first 8 hours. Break it all in then mess with suspension etc. I wouldnt Of touched it. woulda called ktm if the dealer wouldn’t make it right IMMEDIATELY.

Seriously thats jacked man. Can’t beleive you would even entertain fixing issues yourself if it’s a brand new Bike. Now that you had rg3 open it up and fix it ktm isn’t gonna make anything right. Can’t prove it was messed up to begin with....

Post a reply to: WTF KTM/WP 2019 450-SXF Issues

The Latest