WTF KTM/WP 2019 450-SXF Issues

Related:
Create New Tag

8/10/2018 4:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2018 4:55 AM

So after years of deliberation I finally jumped ship and bought me a brand new 2019 Ktm 450-Sxf. I drove 12 hours round trip to get one of last ones in the first wave of the new shipments.
FYI First off i found metal shavings, a lot of metal shaving in the fuel filter. UGH! So i then had to take the tank off, drain and flush the tank completely.As i continued prep for the weekend
I went to check the fork settings: The compression adjuster is completely locked out. Wont move at all. So I took the plastic adjuster off and tried to use a 6mm wrench to move it. Nothing. Its completely locked out. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Now i have to take it to a dealer, wait for a Rep to look at it, go through the warranty process, ect. THIS IS A NEW BIKE!
So as i sit here and look at my new $10k bike that i cant ride and contemplate my life choices i was wondering if any one else has had anything like this happen to them?

|

8/10/2018 5:12 AM

Bummer.....most of these issues should have been picked up at the dealer IMHO and Factory QC prior to shipping.

|

Germany 1975 250 CZ Centerport, laydown shocks, mikuni with reed valve, Marzocchi forks with me as the motopilot

8/10/2018 5:26 AM

Tim507 wrote:

Bummer.....most of these issues should have been picked up at the dealer IMHO and Factory QC prior to shipping.

Have you seen how dealers prep bikes?

They literally bolt the front wheel on and sprits some oil on the air filter. That's about the extent of the $300-$500 prep fee most dealers charge.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Specialized Fuse Comp 29.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

8/10/2018 5:30 AM

Take it back and get a kawi.

|

8/10/2018 5:31 AM

To say i am bummed is an understatement.

|

8/10/2018 5:31 AM

Driving 12 hours seems like a deal until that happens....and I’d drive it right back to the dealer.

|

GP740
Since 1987

8/10/2018 5:50 AM

one would assume you took pictures?

|

8/10/2018 5:53 AM

No. No pictures taken. I didnt think about it. I simply just want to ride my new bike.

|

8/10/2018 5:58 AM

Man that would be frustrating as hell ! I could see just ordering a new fuel filter , but what are the shaving from? Could be anything I guess. And can you take the fork leg off , pop the cap and see if maybe it could be something simple. Or see if a local suspension guy could help out some way? That is better than driving another 24 hour round tripo right?

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

8/10/2018 6:03 AM

I would never own a certain brand if the closest dealer was 12 hours away

|

8/10/2018 6:11 AM

The shavings were long and skinny. Looks like from the fuel petcock assembly. The suspension issue is probably something a local suspension guy can handle. I am going to WP today direct and see what they say.

|

8/10/2018 6:14 AM

Cory128 wrote:

The shavings were long and skinny. Looks like from the fuel petcock assembly. The suspension issue is probably something a ...more

If you're that close to a WP shop , then yes , that is exactly what I would do. Order a fuel filter with 1 day shipping and be riding on Sunday!

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

8/10/2018 6:20 AM

No. Sorry. I am in Colorado. WP is in Cali. Just going to call and see how they suggest to handel the situation. Also going to call to few local dealers and ask what to do. Its just such a bummer to have to deal with any of this. 10k and you you have double check and fix the manufacturer's errors for lack of quality control.

|

8/10/2018 6:24 AM

Cory128 wrote:

No. Sorry. I am in Colorado. WP is in Cali. Just going to call and see how they suggest to handel the situation. Also going to ...more

Yeah that is a bummer for sure , but I'm sure you'll get it figured out asap and be out there riding before you know it. I haven't heard of a brand new fork being locked up on the compression like that before , which is weird. Wonder what actually happened there?

|

8/10/2018 6:28 AM

I will let you know when i find out. I have a feeling its the adjustment screw through the fork cap that is the issue. I just want to make sure that is all it is before i ride it. I dont see how the valve stack could be messed up but you never know i guess?

|

8/10/2018 6:32 AM

Pine, CO looks like a cool place to be. At least you have that going for you!

|

8/10/2018 7:43 AM

Cone Valve is your answer to all your problems.

|

8/10/2018 8:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2018 8:12 AM

My shock blew (shaft seal) with less than 3 hrs on my 2018.5 KTM 450 Factory Edition. My plans were to send the forks and shock out anyway for a revalve so it just sped up that process. WP or KTM should up their quality control.

|

8/10/2018 8:34 AM

Maybe try calling Elite in Loveland. Roger has been a KTM dealer for about 3 decades now.

|

8/10/2018 8:37 AM

Wow...sorry to hear of your msfortune.

FWIW I had some issues with my 2017 from the Factory, but they warrantied everything and I am so glad I chose this bike in the end. It's one of the best bikes I have ever had, despite the initial trouble. I'm sure you will feel the same once you get your issues sorted out.

Good luck!

|

17 KTM 450 SXF - AMAZING!

8/10/2018 8:53 AM

Those are the issues you can see...
I’d take that shit back and tell the dealer you want a replacement. Fuck that.

|

8/10/2018 9:17 AM

blaze 57 wrote:

My shock blew (shaft seal) with less than 3 hrs on my 2018.5 KTM 450 Factory Edition. My plans were to send the forks and ...more

FWIW, they have no reason to improve it unless you take it back to the dealer and tell them its an issue. Although it may be more convenient, depending on what it is, when you fix it yourself the factory will never know its in an issue. The warranty claims from dealers are what they use.

You really think that 2019 frame was redesigned for "more torsional rigidity" and the pankl transmission for smoother shifting? wink

|

8/10/2018 9:48 AM

blaze 57 wrote:

My shock blew (shaft seal) with less than 3 hrs on my 2018.5 KTM 450 Factory Edition. My plans were to send the forks and ...more

MX915 wrote:

FWIW, they have no reason to improve it unless you take it back to the dealer and tell them its an issue. Although it may be ...more

good point lol

|

8/10/2018 1:23 PM

Photo
|

8/10/2018 1:29 PM

mx98wfo wrote: Photo

And???

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

8/10/2018 3:53 PM

Can't you just take it to a dealer in Denver or Colorado Springs? That should only be a couple of hours from you, and like everyone on the Vital that travels to buy bikes says, it is a factory warranty that I can use at any Dealership. I always suggest buying from your local Dealer, but hey you got a good deal so it is worth the drive right?

|

8/10/2018 4:30 PM

Sun enterpise KTM in Brighton is real good too. Huge selection and they claim lowest price. Good luck

|

8/10/2018 4:30 PM

CrGuy2T wrote:

Cone Valve is your answer to all your problems.

But he just spent 25k$ on a new dirt bike. Why does he need to spend another 10$?

|

8/10/2018 5:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2018 5:58 PM

I can't believe you saved any money on the bike making a 12 hour drive. What was the reason for that? KTM owners say to change the fuel filter after the first hour. That's not a deal breaker to me. The fork will be taken care of but it's still a pain in the ass. Good luck.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

8/10/2018 6:29 PM

So here's an update. First off i drove 6hrs one way to get the bike due to the fact all the local dealers were out of stock. The next shipments of KTM's is due in September from what i was told. I called WP and left 2 messages about my issue and asked to be called back asap. I have not received any call back.
I also called the local dealer and the soonest anyone would look at the bike was Aug 23rd and some said no sooner than Aug 29th. These dates were just to look at it.
So heres what i did. I went to RG3 Denver and he hooked me up with a complete cartridge from a Spring Conversion bike. It took 2 mins for him to make the switch and i am very greatful. If anyone needs Suspension serive I highly recommend Matt @ RG3 Denver. I am going to mail the messed up Cartridge to Elite Ktm in Loveland and let me look into the issue.
So thats where i am at. There is clearly a problem with the Cartridge now feeling what a prorper working one should feel like. I am glad i caught this issue before i hit the track and potentially had a much bigger issue and/or possible injury. FYI to everyone reading this. Please don't take the words of others. Check your stuff yourself thoroughly and do your maintenance before you hit the track. YOU NEVER KNOW!

|