WP 52mm Cone Valve Forks - Please Read

MOTO120
3/2/2017 12:16pm
Hello all,
Just wanted to pass along a tad bit of information I found out recently, thought someone might benefit from this at some point. I am currently building an FC450 and was in the market for a set of 52mm CV's. After a quick email to WP, I received this exact response from them: "Unfortunately as of the 1st of this year we are no longer selling parts for 52mm Cone Valve Forks. These forks will be only for Factory Racing and you will have to contact KTM Racing and have a valid AMA SX/MX pro card and be put on a contract with KTM Factory Racing for any Factory material and services.". So with that said, I'm no longer in the market for a set of WP 52mm CV's haha.
|
Motofinne
3/2/2017 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2017 2:38pm
Wait, they wont even sell replacement parts for them for people that have them? In that case the price on used 52mm CVs just dropped massively. No one will want to buy them if that is true.
MOTO120
3/2/2017 12:21pm
My thoughts exactly....
logan_140
3/2/2017 12:25pm
Onlins it is now..?
Johnny Depp
3/2/2017 2:15pm
Parts were always known to be sketchy. Unobtanium just makes it more desirable. Those Bastards are keeping all the good stuff for themselves.

There is another thread running on this subject. Good info never the less.

The Shop

yzrider314
3/2/2017 2:54pm
Have you tried Factory Connection or Race Tech to see if they have anything available for these? They are authorized WP dealers, so they might be able to help you out.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3640th
3/2/2017 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2017 3:03pm
MOTO120 wrote:
Hello all, Just wanted to pass along a tad bit of information I found out recently, thought someone might benefit from this at some point. I...
Hello all,
Just wanted to pass along a tad bit of information I found out recently, thought someone might benefit from this at some point. I am currently building an FC450 and was in the market for a set of 52mm CV's. After a quick email to WP, I received this exact response from them: "Unfortunately as of the 1st of this year we are no longer selling parts for 52mm Cone Valve Forks. These forks will be only for Factory Racing and you will have to contact KTM Racing and have a valid AMA SX/MX pro card and be put on a contract with KTM Factory Racing for any Factory material and services.". So with that said, I'm no longer in the market for a set of WP 52mm CV's haha.
You can still get parts. You just have to know who to go through. There are suspension shops that are authorized dealers that can service. Wp will not sell or do any work for the average consumer that's all. This has been known for years. You just have to know how to navigate and beable to have them serviced. For example RG3 can do em, ebr performance in Texas can do them, Jm racing in Texas can do them as well. You just don't know where to look or what's going on. Billy at powerbad was doing them but I have heard he may not be doing them any more.
PTshox
3/2/2017 7:48pm
This is what happens when some bean counter (read - accountant) starts making decisions at a company. Or, they bring in some dildo with no real world experience to run their channel/distribution program.

If the guy writing that e-mail had a clue he could have simply directed you to a dealer. For example, "Sir, where do you live? Those parts are sold through WP distributors with training on how to install them directly from us. If you can simply tell me what state you live in I can provide you a list of the nearest distributors that can assist you. And, thank you for your interest in WP products. We appreciate our customers! Many thanks."

But, nope, you got a corp dildo on the other end with no clue. Happens everyday. Think of what Trump is doing to such type of folks in US government right now.
3/3/2017 1:48am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2017 1:49am
im in the process of replacing 4cs forks with 48mm showa spring forks on my sons fc 250 , i already modded some 48mm kyb`s psf1s for my fc 250 , i still run the 4cs axle lug on the kyb slider with kyb outers . you can use the wp outers but the kybs move better i rekon , the showas should be a similar mod just different bottoming cone and thread on the rebound adjuster . The jap forks are easier to tune and the psf1 equipped bike is already much more planted in the front and plusher without valving or trick bits , just a bit soft initially which is midvalve float im told . Cant justify cone valves i rekon way over rated , i did my whole kyb set up for 250 bucks .
MOTO120
3/3/2017 8:40am
MOTO120 wrote:
Hello all, Just wanted to pass along a tad bit of information I found out recently, thought someone might benefit from this at some point. I...
Hello all,
CrGuy2T wrote:
You can still get parts. You just have to know who to go through. There are suspension shops that are authorized dealers that can service. Wp...
You can still get parts. You just have to know who to go through. There are suspension shops that are authorized dealers that can service. Wp will not sell or do any work for the average consumer that's all. This has been known for years. You just have to know how to navigate and beable to have them serviced. For example RG3 can do em, ebr performance in Texas can do them, Jm racing in Texas can do them as well. You just don't know where to look or what's going on. Billy at powerbad was doing them but I have heard he may not be doing them any more.
You are 100% accurate saying "you don't know what's going on"...I have not clue about most things 2-wheels, just like them is all. Simply posted what I received directly from WP, never once did I say that it was now impossible to have them serviced or that current owners should just throw them in the trash. I just think it's weird that WP services suspension systems that they sell but yet won't service their highest end product, that's all. To me this is like buying a Titanium Yoshimura exhaust system but yet Yoshimura telling me "Sorry, we won't service your Titanium exhaust system, we only service the Aluminum ones...but thanks for buying our Titanium one! You're going to have to go to "XYZ" pipe shop to have our Titanium product serviced"...but that's not the case because Yoshimura is awesome and will service anything they sell Cool .
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2247th
3/3/2017 8:54am
MOTO120 wrote:
Hello all,
CrGuy2T wrote:
You can still get parts. You just have to know who to go through. There are suspension shops that are authorized dealers that can service. Wp...
MOTO120 wrote:
You are 100% accurate saying "you don't know what's going on"...I have not clue about most things 2-wheels, just like them is all. Simply posted what...
You are 100% accurate saying "you don't know what's going on"...I have not clue about most things 2-wheels, just like them is all. Simply posted what I received directly from WP, never once did I say that it was now impossible to have them serviced or that current owners should just throw them in the trash. I just think it's weird that WP services suspension systems that they sell but yet won't service their highest end product, that's all. To me this is like buying a Titanium Yoshimura exhaust system but yet Yoshimura telling me "Sorry, we won't service your Titanium exhaust system, we only service the Aluminum ones...but thanks for buying our Titanium one! You're going to have to go to "XYZ" pipe shop to have our Titanium product serviced"...but that's not the case because Yoshimura is awesome and will service anything they sell Cool .
It is a good update and good to let people know. "Don't kill the messenger" right?

But its not like they are currently selling them out of the shop and not offering service. Most these 52s are coming from old pros, they have the old lug so obviously from at least 3-4 years ago.

You should look into the Cone valve 48s, not much reason to get the 52s beside the "factory" effect ya know. Performance will be more than enough with the 48s
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3640th
3/3/2017 8:55am
52's were never meant to be for the avareage consumer. This is why you have to use other shops to service them. This is also what makes the so valuable and badass when someone actually has them. Anyone can run down and get some 48's. It all depends on if you want to be just anyone or have stuff no one else has.
chuckdavies
3/3/2017 9:24am
CrGuy2T wrote:
52's were never meant to be for the avareage consumer. This is why you have to use other shops to service them. This is also what...
52's were never meant to be for the avareage consumer. This is why you have to use other shops to service them. This is also what makes the so valuable and badass when someone actually has them. Anyone can run down and get some 48's. It all depends on if you want to be just anyone or have stuff no one else has.
This is true^^

Also, a lot of people buy them that seriously wouldn't benefit from them, infact, most of these they would hinder them. The 52s are really stiff, and require a lot more maintenance due to the internals and the aluminium lower tubes
3/3/2017 9:30pm
logan_140 wrote:
Onlins it is now..?
I don't rate Ohlins 1 bit, so i'd say there's a lot better options to consider before that route. What about the 48mm CVs? Or the...
I don't rate Ohlins 1 bit, so i'd say there's a lot better options to consider before that route.

What about the 48mm CVs? Or the KTM/Husky specific Factory KYB setup from Technical touch that i went with...

http://www.shop-technical-touch.com/documents/pdf/racing-catalogue-2017…
Nice , ide take that over any wp suspension
jeffro503
3/3/2017 9:55pm
logan_140 wrote:
Onlins it is now..?
I don't rate Ohlins 1 bit, so i'd say there's a lot better options to consider before that route. What about the 48mm CVs? Or the...
I don't rate Ohlins 1 bit, so i'd say there's a lot better options to consider before that route.

What about the 48mm CVs? Or the KTM/Husky specific Factory KYB setup from Technical touch that i went with...

http://www.shop-technical-touch.com/documents/pdf/racing-catalogue-2017…
dirtaddict wrote:
Nice , ide take that over any wp suspension
Every time Chuck posts a picture of his sweet suspension....I literally start slobbering. Gawd those are beautiful!

Post a reply to: WP 52mm Cone Valve Forks - Please Read

The Latest