WORCS race red flagged for being too hard.....

LungButter
Edited Date/Time 9/28/2021 1:18pm
This is unreal, I'm always sticking up for West Coast off road on here but the WORCS people need to pull their head out of their asses and get back to having some actual off road races. Red flagging a race because supposed "Pros" thought a section was too hard well....I can't defend that at all

How bad would the people who cried about this be crying if they had to race the old pro sections at Honey Lake....
|
suspensionguy
Fantasy
2040th
9/27/2021 10:35am
Sorry but those “pro” sections are lame and only create bottlenecks. As a racer we do not like them and feel they are only there for the spectators because they do not make for better racing.
xrclark433
9/27/2021 10:40am
WORCS guys complain about anything if the track isn’t a smooth fire road
Kyle978
9/27/2021 10:41am Edited Date/Time 9/27/2021 10:46am
I got shit on here a few years ago for making a post highlighting the WORCS race promoters poor practices. The post actually got deleted by someone other than GuyB.

In this instance a Pro rider hit a rock on the course and shot off the track outside of the banners. They lost time and a position when doing so. The promoter deemed this as track cutting and black flag/DQ'ed the rider on his last lap while running 3rd in 450 pro at his first off-road race.

After the race when we asked/challenged the ruling, they made it clear that we were the new guys to THEIR series and THEY will dictate how his future in off-road racing goes because THEY are the big dawgs in west coast off-road. When I challenged their ruling I had WORCS officials threatening to fight me. It was the biggest joke I've ever experienced in racing, Pro or local.

At this same event I'm referencing (Taft 2018) they cut out the pro section in the middle of the race because riders got stuck. So some had hit the section, some got to go around with no way to equalize the people who went through vs. went around.

That rider is now a full time participant (and actually just won his first 450 pro WORCS race this weekend) and they go out of their way to suck his dick on a regular basis.

I was hoping they figured out how to act and promote a legit series but apparently they're still struggling to figure out how racing works.
LungButter
9/27/2021 11:13am
Sorry but those “pro” sections are lame and only create bottlenecks. As a racer we do not like them and feel they are only there for...
Sorry but those “pro” sections are lame and only create bottlenecks. As a racer we do not like them and feel they are only there for the spectators because they do not make for better racing.
I haven't been to a WORCS race in person for about 5-7 years but back in the "hey day" of WORCS ('02-'09ish) the pro sections were legit and separated the men from the boys. Nowadays it seems that your assessment is correct.

However, to red flag an off road race because some Cali moto babies got stuck is pathetic anyway you slice it.

The Shop

FWYT
9/27/2021 11:51am
Crazy.
FWYT
9/27/2021 11:53am
Trevor Hunter rides those a lot and shares his great vids here. It will be interesting to get his take, assuming he rode it.
LungButter
9/27/2021 12:05pm
Kyle978 wrote:
I got shit on here a few years ago for making a post highlighting the WORCS race promoters poor practices. The post actually got deleted by...
I got shit on here a few years ago for making a post highlighting the WORCS race promoters poor practices. The post actually got deleted by someone other than GuyB.

In this instance a Pro rider hit a rock on the course and shot off the track outside of the banners. They lost time and a position when doing so. The promoter deemed this as track cutting and black flag/DQ'ed the rider on his last lap while running 3rd in 450 pro at his first off-road race.

After the race when we asked/challenged the ruling, they made it clear that we were the new guys to THEIR series and THEY will dictate how his future in off-road racing goes because THEY are the big dawgs in west coast off-road. When I challenged their ruling I had WORCS officials threatening to fight me. It was the biggest joke I've ever experienced in racing, Pro or local.

At this same event I'm referencing (Taft 2018) they cut out the pro section in the middle of the race because riders got stuck. So some had hit the section, some got to go around with no way to equalize the people who went through vs. went around.

That rider is now a full time participant (and actually just won his first 450 pro WORCS race this weekend) and they go out of their way to suck his dick on a regular basis.

I was hoping they figured out how to act and promote a legit series but apparently they're still struggling to figure out how racing works.
I like Cole but this win has an * for sure.

I also think that now that he got a win we are going to see him on the top step a lot more going forward. I predict some epic Dante vs. Cole battles in the coming years.
Crossup
9/27/2021 1:20pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2021 1:24pm
Here are some shots of the Pro section from Trevor Hunters GoPro on YT. Yeah loose round rocks suck, but there are several lines through there. Its not that long a section.

Instead of red flagging the entire race, why not wait until the leader is coming around and just close/re-route the section? This has happened to me on a couple rain drenched events.

gpracer4224
9/27/2021 1:43pm
I rode both days and on Saturday, though I was against it before the race, it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought and there were always multiple lines to go through no matter where people were stuck.

On Sunday, it was quite a bit different. The WORCS crew decided watering the rocks down right before we started was a good idea to make it "more challenging" and that effectively ruined the race. Had they left the rocks alone and kept them dry like they were on Saturday, it probably wouldn't have turned into what it did. But, since they did do that and they have amateur racers in that race, it became a huge bottle neck and there wouldn't have been any way for the top pro's to get through there by lap 3. When I came around on lap 2, it was already really really bad with some racers still stuck from their first lap, plus quite a few legit Pro's still in the rocks.

IMO, the challenge factor wasn't what caused the red flagging of the race, it was the fact that there was no way it would last the whole 90 minutes with the riders in the race. Most of the top pro's probably would've complained had they had to sit and idle for minutes on end with 30+ riders stuck across that rock pile so either way it was a bad deal. The rocks were fun and challenging on Saturday though! I'll post some video of Sunday's chaos in a bit.

Here's Saturday's Pro race with the rocks coming in at 5:23
LungButter
9/27/2021 1:44pm
Crossup wrote:
Here are some shots of the Pro section from Trevor Hunters GoPro on YT. Yeah loose round rocks suck, but there are several lines through there...
Here are some shots of the Pro section from Trevor Hunters GoPro on YT. Yeah loose round rocks suck, but there are several lines through there. Its not that long a section.

Instead of red flagging the entire race, why not wait until the leader is coming around and just close/re-route the section? This has happened to me on a couple rain drenched events.

A. That section is LAME, every off road race doesn't need to have endurocross in it. Glen Helen has plenty of options for real off road without this bullshit.

B. It is even more lame that this is the section that caused a Red Flag. What a bunch of pussies. I hadn't seen the section before this so I was assuming it was some vertical hill climb in a gully or something that had everyone bottle necked with no way around.

C. Crap like this is what you get when promoters are more worried about UTVs than dirt bikes. It's been clear for a few years WORCS could care less about the bikes, the facilities chosen are clearly favoring places they can let the golf cart people race too. So what we get is thrown together shit for the bikes. Nevada, NorCal, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah are all loaded with places they could (and have in the past) had great races for dirt bikes but they can't take the UTV crowd there so they don't go there. Follow the money I suppose.....

gpracer4224
9/27/2021 2:22pm
Here are my two trips through the rock section on Sunday's afternoon pro race ~
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
9/27/2021 2:26pm
So race down a dirt highway, run an extreme enduro boulder field and then continue on dirt highway? Those rocks are BS unless you knew you were signing up for an enduro/extreme enduro. Even the line to get through them is just try to squeeze past the boulders.

We have riprap sections in hare scrambles here and they add some degree of difficulty but kind of fit in with the overall theme, and they don't require a completely different bike setup than the rest of the course.
Titan1
9/27/2021 2:37pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2021 3:12pm
Crossup wrote:
Here are some shots of the Pro section from Trevor Hunters GoPro on YT. Yeah loose round rocks suck, but there are several lines through there...

LungButter wrote:
A. That section is LAME, every off road race doesn't need to have endurocross in it. Glen Helen has plenty of options for real off road...
A. That section is LAME, every off road race doesn't need to have endurocross in it. Glen Helen has plenty of options for real off road without this bullshit.

B. It is even more lame that this is the section that caused a Red Flag. What a bunch of pussies. I hadn't seen the section before this so I was assuming it was some vertical hill climb in a gully or something that had everyone bottle necked with no way around.

C. Crap like this is what you get when promoters are more worried about UTVs than dirt bikes. It's been clear for a few years WORCS could care less about the bikes, the facilities chosen are clearly favoring places they can let the golf cart people race too. So what we get is thrown together shit for the bikes. Nevada, NorCal, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah are all loaded with places they could (and have in the past) had great races for dirt bikes but they can't take the UTV crowd there so they don't go there. Follow the money I suppose.....

Just like supercross began to infiltrate motocross tracks across America...now endurocross is beginning to infiltrate off road races across America.

I hate "endurocross sections"...I sign up to race other people, not just "make it through" the course...if I wanted a hard course, I'd race hard enduro...if I wanted man-made obstacles I'd race endurocross.

I'll race some challenging, natural terrain trails...but keep the man-made obstacles in the stadiums, and the pro-sections do nothing to add to the racing...I don't want a course that causes DNF's by attrition...

With that said...if you start the race with that section...you'd better leave it there for the entire race, and redflagging the race is a dumb decision. They should have pulled it after the first lap (so everyone had to race it once) then worked out a bypass on it for all subsequent laps.
Sawfish
9/27/2021 3:09pm
What a shit show. How do you pile up that many boulders, make it a section of the track and expect anything else?
swordfish
9/27/2021 3:50pm
wrc777 wrote:
So race down a dirt highway, run an extreme enduro boulder field and then continue on dirt highway? Those rocks are BS unless you knew you...
So race down a dirt highway, run an extreme enduro boulder field and then continue on dirt highway? Those rocks are BS unless you knew you were signing up for an enduro/extreme enduro. Even the line to get through them is just try to squeeze past the boulders.

We have riprap sections in hare scrambles here and they add some degree of difficulty but kind of fit in with the overall theme, and they don't require a completely different bike setup than the rest of the course.
Clearly you have never raced an extreme enduro😂
I can’t imagine the fits people would be having racing east coast tracks. I totally get what your saying but that rock section is not that crazy. Some natural obstacles or technical section would make a lot more sense.
LungButter
9/27/2021 3:57pm
I rode both days and on Saturday, though I was against it before the race, it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought and...
I rode both days and on Saturday, though I was against it before the race, it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought and there were always multiple lines to go through no matter where people were stuck.

On Sunday, it was quite a bit different. The WORCS crew decided watering the rocks down right before we started was a good idea to make it "more challenging" and that effectively ruined the race. Had they left the rocks alone and kept them dry like they were on Saturday, it probably wouldn't have turned into what it did. But, since they did do that and they have amateur racers in that race, it became a huge bottle neck and there wouldn't have been any way for the top pro's to get through there by lap 3. When I came around on lap 2, it was already really really bad with some racers still stuck from their first lap, plus quite a few legit Pro's still in the rocks.

IMO, the challenge factor wasn't what caused the red flagging of the race, it was the fact that there was no way it would last the whole 90 minutes with the riders in the race. Most of the top pro's probably would've complained had they had to sit and idle for minutes on end with 30+ riders stuck across that rock pile so either way it was a bad deal. The rocks were fun and challenging on Saturday though! I'll post some video of Sunday's chaos in a bit.

Here's Saturday's Pro race with the rocks coming in at 5:23
Sounds like they are letting too many amateurs out with the Pros. You used to have to be fast as hell to qualify for Pro2 at most rounds....nowadays they have split the classes and made it easier to qualify so everyone can get a trophy.

What a joke. They should sell the dirt bike side of the series to someone who gives a fuck.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
9/27/2021 4:06pm
We'll never know why those Euros keep beating us outdoors and off-road. Must be the bikes.
resetjet
9/27/2021 5:49pm
Been to plenty of races with sections that turn into a shit show. Usually you reroute yourself, but if they are gonna have something like this have a bypass that takes 3 times as long to complete…..
j100
9/27/2021 6:31pm
thats hilarious. that section is not bad at all.
gpracer4224
9/27/2021 6:36pm
j100 wrote:
thats hilarious. that section is not bad at all.
the section itself wasn't bad until they decided to water it making it super slick, it's hard to tell in the video. Saturday they left it dry and there were no issues throughout the race
gpracer4224
9/27/2021 6:37pm
wrc777 wrote:
So race down a dirt highway, run an extreme enduro boulder field and then continue on dirt highway? Those rocks are BS unless you knew you...

swordfish wrote:
Clearly you have never raced an extreme enduro😂 I can’t imagine the fits people would be having racing east coast tracks. I totally get what your...
I can’t imagine the fits people would be having racing east coast tracks. I totally get what your saying but that rock section is not that crazy. Some natural obstacles or technical section would make a lot more sense.
I had a chance to race snowshoe this year and I equate this wet rock section to the entire snowshoe course, just with slightly bigger rocks
Titan1
9/27/2021 8:08pm
wrc777 wrote:

swordfish wrote:
Clearly you have never raced an extreme enduro😂 I can’t imagine the fits people would be having racing east coast tracks. I totally get what your...
But a WORC race isn’t an extreme enduro…and it’s not an endurocross…so people dont want just try and finish (like they do with hard enduro), or to ride man made obstacles (like they do with endurocross)…WORC races are usually dry, dusty, faster roads/double track with rocks and whoops, with a moto track and some single track thrown in there. So people sign up to race that…not a hard enduro and not endurocross.

So when they put an “endurocross” or “hard enduro” section in a WORC race, they shouldn’t be surprised when people complain.
swordfish
9/28/2021 3:36am
wrc777 wrote:

swordfish wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
But a WORC race isn’t an extreme enduro…and it’s not an endurocross…so people dont want just try and finish (like they do with hard enduro), or...
But a WORC race isn’t an extreme enduro…and it’s not an endurocross…so people dont want just try and finish (like they do with hard enduro), or to ride man made obstacles (like they do with endurocross)…WORC races are usually dry, dusty, faster roads/double track with rocks and whoops, with a moto track and some single track thrown in there. So people sign up to race that…not a hard enduro and not endurocross.

So when they put an “endurocross” or “hard enduro” section in a WORC race, they shouldn’t be surprised when people complain.
Racers are always gonna find something to complain about, especially when it doesn’t play in their favour. I mean it’s WORCS, I wouldn’t expect to see that in one of their races. WORCS is like desert MX.
9/28/2021 6:07am
I had a chance to race snowshoe this year and I equate this wet rock section to the entire snowshoe course, just with slightly bigger rocks
I'm an east coast guy so I don't really know much about WORCS, but did everyone have to run the pro section in the race?

In my local races that run a "pro" section its optional with a longer/slower bypass being the other option.
APLMAN99
9/28/2021 6:50am
Looks like the off road version of adding SX obstacles to an MX track……
9/28/2021 9:04am
I'm an east coast guy so I don't really know much about WORCS, but did everyone have to run the pro section in the race? In...
I'm an east coast guy so I don't really know much about WORCS, but did everyone have to run the pro section in the race?

In my local races that run a "pro" section its optional with a longer/slower bypass being the other option.
When I raced the series in '08 it was just for the main Pro class and Pro 2. Pro 2 in WORCS is basically the amateur Pro class. It was a 2 hour split start race with about 1-2 minutes between the starts back then.

I HATED the pro sections, but I never once spent time practicing in that stuff either. The pro sections were the only reasons I disliked the move from Moto to Offroad.
Sawfish
9/28/2021 12:07pm
resetjet wrote:
Been to plenty of races with sections that turn into a shit show. Usually you reroute yourself, but if they are gonna have something like this...
Been to plenty of races with sections that turn into a shit show. Usually you reroute yourself, but if they are gonna have something like this have a bypass that takes 3 times as long to complete…..
Exactly. I’ve been in races with massive mud holes you could try and blast through and chance getting stuck, or you have the option to take the loooooooong way around.
Titan1
9/28/2021 1:13pm
resetjet wrote:
Been to plenty of races with sections that turn into a shit show. Usually you reroute yourself, but if they are gonna have something like this...
Sawfish wrote:
Exactly. I’ve been in races with massive mud holes you could try and blast through and chance getting stuck, or you have the option to take...
Exactly. I’ve been in races with massive mud holes you could try and blast through and chance getting stuck, or you have the option to take the loooooooong way around.
Shorter (and faster, if you don’t get stuck) “Hard lines” and longer (slower) “easy lines” are pretty common in a lot races I’ve done…They are sometimes a necessity due to the fact that most off road races have novices on the same course, at the same time, as pros…and when racing public land, it’s not an option to just bring in a dozer and modify the trail…so they’ll put in a longer/slower bypass so they don’t have to deal with novice riders stuck on course for hours at a time.

Post a reply to: WORCS race red flagged for being too hard.....

The Latest