WILVO YAMAHA looking to run a third rider in 2018 in MXGP class

Related:
Create New Tag

9/9/2017 7:59 AM

http://ontrackoffroad.com/2017/09/05/wilvo-yamaha-looking-to-run-a-third-rider-in-2018/

One of the strongest MXGP satellite teams looks to grow 5th September 2017

Wilvo Yamaha could be one of very few MXGP teams to run three riders in the 2018 FIM Motocross World Championship. Owner and Team Principal Louis Vosters confirmed at the USGP last weekend that the new satellite crew are eyeing another athlete to compete on the 2018 YZ450Fs alongside Shaun Simpson and Arnaud Tonus next year.

Wilvo have endured a bittersweet first term in the premier class. Shaun Simpson won the Grand Prix of Indonesia and Arnaud Tonus claimed his first podium and moto victory on home turf in Switzerland several weeks ago. The Dutch unit have matched the factory Monster Energy Yamaha crew in terms of results but have also suffered with injuries to both the Scot and the Swiss.

“To be honest I would like to have a third rider. It is not easy but I am trying to work it out together with Yamaha,” Vosters said at WW Motocross Ranch in Florida. “I think it is 50-50 and, for sure, there are some really good riders in the paddock who have no team and it is a shame for the sport. Personally I would like to have three because I think we have had ten GPs with just one rider this season and hopefully it will not be the same next year.”

Wilvo are apparently waiting on confirmation of support from Yamaha Motor Europe for an expansion to their racing efforts. “It is complicated but I have been thinking about it for a long time and I think we can handle and organise it,” Vosters said of the extra resources required around the Bergeijk-based HQ.

Names linked with a third YZ450F include MX2 graduate (and currently injured with rib and liver damage) Benoit Paturel and HRC-departee Evgeny Bobryshev. Vosters remained coy about who hovers on his shopping list but commented on both the Frenchman and the Russian. “It is difficult to say,” he commented. “It is quite bad that ‘Bobby’ doesn’t have a ride so he would be a possibility but it is also bad that Benoit doesn’t have anything. He is in the Yamaha family and would be a rookie. He is a talent and one for the future. So I would also be positive about him

|

9/9/2017 9:56 AM

Call up barcia

|

9/9/2017 2:10 PM

I'd call Christophe

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

9/9/2017 2:53 PM

Barcia & Pourcel... two people that have expressed how much they didn't like the Yamaha's... would be strange. But definitely a great opportunity for either rider.

|

http://www.taggerdesigns.net/shop/

Instagram / Snapchat @taggerdesigns

9/9/2017 3:25 PM

pourcel just became u.s. citizen, so I guess that means f*** y** europe.

good to see they are stepping up their program. to be honest kawasaki should do the same in mxgp and ama.

|

9/9/2017 3:51 PM

Nagl was in talks with them too I believe

|

9/9/2017 3:55 PM

crusty_xx wrote:

Nagl is 99% sure TM. I would say Benoit Paturel.

|

9/9/2017 4:37 PM

crusty_xx wrote:

MXMattii wrote:

that's why I said "was" wink

|

9/9/2017 6:10 PM

I'm in !!!
As long as results don't matter ... an ... well ... um .. if I'm sober I'll ride. wink

What expectations?!? Heck they can't get lower than my own so from that aspect it's a win win win !!! w00t

|

9/9/2017 8:59 PM

MXMattii wrote:

most likely.

|

9/9/2017 9:46 PM

This 3rd rider will be Paturel.

|

9/10/2017 12:56 AM

Damn Pautrel in MX1 already? MX2 class is dead, that 23yo rule needs to go asap.

|

9/10/2017 1:43 AM

crusty_xx wrote:

MXMattii wrote:

Wow, that would be a massive step down

|

9/10/2017 2:17 AM

Patural will be this best fit for this spot in my opinion.

Glad to finnaly hear some good news around the MXGP paddock

|

9/10/2017 2:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2017 2:30 AM

crusty_xx wrote:

MXMattii wrote:

Motocrossjunky wrote:

Wow, that would be a massive step down

That's what I thought too when I heared it first.
I really don't know much about the teams and factory support, but I would assume that a ride at a factory supported KTM or japanese Manufacturer team would be much better than a non paid TM factory ride. But I guess Nagl knows best what he is doing...

But for me it sounds like the beginning of the end - hopefully TM and Nagl prove me wrong.

|

"Me fail English? That’s unpossible." - Ralph Wiggum

9/10/2017 3:01 AM

Paturel,could be another potential Febvre or Gajser of the future,who knows?

|

(I also regret my username,funny at the time "you had to be there..")

9/11/2017 4:04 PM

Russian Bob?

|

9/11/2017 4:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/11/2017 4:10 PM

mxmasta wrote:

That's what I thought too when I heared it first.
I really don't know much about the teams and factory support, but I would assume that a ride at a factory supported KTM or japanese Manufacturer team would be much better than a non paid TM factory ride. But I guess Nagl knows best what he is doing...

But for me it sounds like the beginning of the end - hopefully TM and Nagl prove me wrong.

The beginning of the end was this year for Nagl.
He said that the mesh grid start penalized him that was hole-shooting all the time in the past. But at this level you've got to figure that out sooner than later.
He disappointed big time and, on a such competitive field, there are younger riders that deserve a factory ride more than him.

|

9/11/2017 9:51 PM

I'm available.

|

Osama Bin Mixin - Head of the 2-stroke Taliban