Why Don't Factory Teams All Start With A Stock Bike?

twotwosix
Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 3:13pm
I have always wondered why it isn't common practice for the OEM's to begin developing an AMA Pro SX/MX race machine from a 100% stock bike? It has always seemed worrysome to me when I saw a Factory race team testing a clean-sheet newly designed bike, in mid-October, that already had different clamps, linkage, different brand of suspension, etc. on it. In my brain I can see how these riders end up mid season hating their setups and threatening to go buy a stock bike from a local dealership to go ride at home. Many of them sign to a new team and never even ride a stock bike, let alone start with a stock bike when they get a newly designed model from their OEM for that year. When I see Yamaha using Preston, Villo, etc. and I see KTM using Morias, Sleeter, etc. and Honda using Canard, Short, etc., it tells me that it's important to have the production guys working with the Race team to an extent and how it's often been a huge misstep for race teams to not baseline off a stock bike.

And before 'that guy' comes in with the "Pro's are too fast for stock bikes" BS, just save it. I have seen with my own eyes Stewart, Carmichael, Roczen and many others obliterate a track on a stock bike with nothing other than their favorite bend of bars and suspension revalve.

I think these factory teams get ahead of themselves often IMO when it comes to development. Thoughts? Stories you have?
|
tobz
11/17/2020 1:08pm
Fair point, but no need to shout Sad thought it was mxa for a sec.
nskerb
11/17/2020 1:10pm
Why would you test stock suspension when you know that you have a setup that has thousands of manhours and dollars into research and development that will blow it out of the water.
twotwosix
11/17/2020 1:10pm
tobz wrote:
Fair point, but no need to shout Sad thought it was mxa for a sec.
Man, MXA? Don't cuss me like that... Laughing

The Shop

twotwosix
11/17/2020 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2020 1:17pm
nskerb wrote:
Why would you test stock suspension when you know that you have a setup that has thousands of manhours and dollars into research and development that...
Why would you test stock suspension when you know that you have a setup that has thousands of manhours and dollars into research and development that will blow it out of the water.
Speaking about developing a new model year bike, you would be surprised how much changing actual suspension changes a bike. Obviously most all fork internals are getting changed out quickly for Pro level components, but I would argue that immediately bolting on larger diameter kit suspension can start down a slippery slope of getting away from the original nature of a bike. If a guy is coming on to a team with a well regarded, race winning bike, I would still tell him to go ride a stock bike for a week to baseline.

I think if our AMA seasons started with MX instead of SX, I bet you the new models would develop better. I say that because SX bikes are often shitty MX bikes and SX is what they have to build it for first... that's a thought. I wouldn't say to do that, but it's worth considering how it affects development.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
11/17/2020 1:25pm
Because that would not be TRICK
face biter
11/19/2020 12:37am
Maybe a lot of those parts are coming from sponsors, if so I can understand that they might expect to see them on the bikes.
chuckdavies
11/19/2020 1:01am
twotwosix wrote:
I have always wondered why it isn't common practice for the OEM's to begin developing an AMA Pro SX/MX race machine from a 100% stock bike...
I have always wondered why it isn't common practice for the OEM's to begin developing an AMA Pro SX/MX race machine from a 100% stock bike? It has always seemed worrysome to me when I saw a Factory race team testing a clean-sheet newly designed bike, in mid-October, that already had different clamps, linkage, different brand of suspension, etc. on it. In my brain I can see how these riders end up mid season hating their setups and threatening to go buy a stock bike from a local dealership to go ride at home. Many of them sign to a new team and never even ride a stock bike, let alone start with a stock bike when they get a newly designed model from their OEM for that year. When I see Yamaha using Preston, Villo, etc. and I see KTM using Morias, Sleeter, etc. and Honda using Canard, Short, etc., it tells me that it's important to have the production guys working with the Race team to an extent and how it's often been a huge misstep for race teams to not baseline off a stock bike.

And before 'that guy' comes in with the "Pro's are too fast for stock bikes" BS, just save it. I have seen with my own eyes Stewart, Carmichael, Roczen and many others obliterate a track on a stock bike with nothing other than their favorite bend of bars and suspension revalve.

I think these factory teams get ahead of themselves often IMO when it comes to development. Thoughts? Stories you have?
I agree to a certain extent - changing linkage, triple clamp offsets etc before riding a bike when those are down to personal preference is ridiculous.

The same way I shake my head when amateur riders buy a new bike, send it off to their 'suspension' guy to be 'fully setup' for them before having even ridden it?! What??? Just because a review from a different country says the fork is a little stiff does not mean it is too stiff for you. Blows my mind. I understand if you're 18 stone then you'll want it stiffening up for your weight - that's obviously fine. But when you're ballpark and you're sending your suspension to a guy who hasn't even seen you ride to be fully worked and revalved is a waste of money.
BUTWHY?
11/19/2020 1:09am
twotwosix wrote:
I have always wondered why it isn't common practice for the OEM's to begin developing an AMA Pro SX/MX race machine from a 100% stock bike...

I think you answered your own question with saying you’ve seen the 2,7,94 etc ring out stock bikes... yes they do ride a stock bike minus suspension and bars... but you also have no idea what the testing procedures are... the mental game of 1mm can literally be the difference between a championship bonus and second place bonus money. When you can ride a bike to 99% of its capabilities, you deserve the right to have every option to explore.
Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
11/19/2020 1:10am
OP just regurgitated the podcast. This has been covered before.
kkawboy14
11/19/2020 2:50am
You probably wouldn’t like riding RC or Stewart’s SX bike that they can hit a quad on!
omalley
11/19/2020 5:10am
What makes you think that you’re seeing the first laps on a new bike? Isn’t it possible that the riders have some hours on a stock (or nearly stock) bike, long before we see videos/pics of them riding? I have heard of numerous cases where riders are sent over to the OEM to test pre-pro models, sometimes a couple years before their release.

That said, top pros put a bike through a set of parameters that 99.99% of us never will, especially in supercross. They know up front that stock isn’t going to work. It would be like me wasting time with stock springs at 230lbs-why bother.

There is one caveat-KW eventually did wind up on production-based forks, but they were still modified.
Deadric
Fantasy
4155th
11/19/2020 7:13am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 7:17am
twotwosix wrote:

I agree to a certain extent - changing linkage, triple clamp offsets etc before riding a bike when those are down to personal preference is ridiculous...
I agree to a certain extent - changing linkage, triple clamp offsets etc before riding a bike when those are down to personal preference is ridiculous.

The same way I shake my head when amateur riders buy a new bike, send it off to their 'suspension' guy to be 'fully setup' for them before having even ridden it?! What??? Just because a review from a different country says the fork is a little stiff does not mean it is too stiff for you. Blows my mind. I understand if you're 18 stone then you'll want it stiffening up for your weight - that's obviously fine. But when you're ballpark and you're sending your suspension to a guy who hasn't even seen you ride to be fully worked and revalved is a waste of money.
Assuming we're talking about people that are racing... Any "suspension guy" that cant improve a bike from stock is a "suspension guy" that should be avoided. Nothing will help your riding more than having a properly tuned suspension for your size and skill level. If we want to talk about wasting money lets talk about dropping $1k on a full exhaust system for that 3 extra HP while already not making it to half throttle on that 450 they just picked up.

To OPs point though I've always wondered when a guy dominates why not just use that same bike the next year? Tomac for example seems to struggle getting his SX settings where he likes them so when he finds them and starts winning by 20 seconds a race why change that just for the sake of having a current year bike? In factory form there cant be much of a difference in power, if any at all. Feel could change greatly though so why mess with that?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/19/2020 8:43am
Factory teams assume their riders can go faster with lighter, stronger components than what comes stock on the bikes. So they start with that. Then, they add any required sponsor items, as indicated above. That's their baseline. It may be mostly stock underneath that, and they test from there, one change at a time. You can bet they don't just make changes for change's sake.
captmoto
11/19/2020 8:48am
I agree to a certain extent - changing linkage, triple clamp offsets etc before riding a bike when those are down to personal preference is ridiculous...

I wish I was in the targeted rider weight category, I would save me money ever time I buy a bike. I would guess about the time a guy feels he is ready for re-valving is about the time his suspension could use a refresh service.
Xeno
11/19/2020 8:52am
Because production motorcycles are intended for "average" riders. There is nothing average about Supercross.
MXBen711
11/19/2020 9:36am
twotwosix wrote:

Deadric wrote:
Assuming we're talking about people that are racing... Any "suspension guy" that cant improve a bike from stock is a "suspension guy" that should be avoided...
Assuming we're talking about people that are racing... Any "suspension guy" that cant improve a bike from stock is a "suspension guy" that should be avoided. Nothing will help your riding more than having a properly tuned suspension for your size and skill level. If we want to talk about wasting money lets talk about dropping $1k on a full exhaust system for that 3 extra HP while already not making it to half throttle on that 450 they just picked up.

To OPs point though I've always wondered when a guy dominates why not just use that same bike the next year? Tomac for example seems to struggle getting his SX settings where he likes them so when he finds them and starts winning by 20 seconds a race why change that just for the sake of having a current year bike? In factory form there cant be much of a difference in power, if any at all. Feel could change greatly though so why mess with that?
I think your missing the point,

If you dont know whats wrong with it, how can you ask someone to fix it

loftyair
11/19/2020 11:06am
Berik boots.
Windham went from factory to stock, with hop-up shop (fac connection) suspension, liked it better, supposedly.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3600th
11/19/2020 12:15pm
loftyair wrote:
Berik boots.
Windham went from factory to stock, with hop-up shop (fac connection) suspension, liked it better, supposedly.
If I recall correctly the kit/works suspension made the bike far too rigid. I recall Wil Hahn also talking about this before when he was on Factory Connection team.
Alex.434
11/19/2020 1:35pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 3:13pm
No one on here works in manufacturing or product development?

The reason is cost guys.

Stock bikes are built for the average rider and priced to sell in the market. If you built out an assembly line bike with all of the top of the line parts, it would be outrageously expensive, plus logistically impossible.

I'll give you a real work example. Ducati released the 1098 Superbike in 2007, a year late they released the 848, which was their middleweight. The 848 came with some lower spec parts like non-monobloc Brembos, a wet clutch, as slightly diff spec wheels (as I recall, it was a while ago).

The 1098 and the 848 cost the EXACT SAME to make in the factory, but you can't sell a 'middleweight' 848 for the same price as a 'superbike' 1098. Meaning the consumer says 'hey it's less power so should cost less'. That cost less came from putting lower end parts on it.

So back to your run of the mill motocross bike. The market says the bikes need to be $8,000-10,000'ish. So you put on cast triples, non-billet calipers, OEM spec wheelsets (ie: lower quality), mass produced radiators, mass produced engine parts, etc etc. Adding billet calipers on not only jacks the price through the roof but the suppliers struggle to make those parts at high volume, due to the quality of them.

What rolls off of the assembly line is a reliable, fast, performance machine that is just fine for the vast majority of its users... with a price point that is still acceptable to the consumer. You are seeing the OEMs start to play around with "Factory Edition" bikes which start to put on the better quality bits, for a premium price, but we are a far cry from true factory specials like you see in the streetbike world, with price tags in the $50,000+ range (and if you were to race one at World Superbike you'd STILL put on more trick shit).

So yes, while a top pro can get on a bog stock bike and 'go fucking fast' on it, that's not what they, or their teams, are interested in. They are interested in putting the best, fastest, most high performance bike they can assemble under their riders asses' (according to the rulebook) so they can go and win races.
cable
11/19/2020 3:32pm
some guys do ride stock practice bikes with factory suspension. at least they used to. ive ridden one

Post a reply to: Why Don't Factory Teams All Start With A Stock Bike?

The Latest