What is the point of 450s ??

normanmx
Edited Date/Time 6/22/2012 10:36am
Maybe an old thread..but really...What is the real use for 450s if 250s are equal or faster in both motocross and supercross?
Add to that the factor that half the 450 riders for some strange reason are getting injured and that many MX/SX enthusiasts like me enjoy the 250s intensity much more.
Maybe 350s is an option? 250 stock and modified? Hell I dont know but something is not right....Just IMO.
|
staycasted
6/20/2012 6:28pm
it took a few years but this year it really seems to be the case.. almost every race the top 4 250s are faster than everyone but dunge
6/20/2012 6:28pm

The point of a Big Fat Pig 450 is to idle around a track.

And to sell said Big Fat Pig to the ever increasing overweight MX rider.

bvm111
6/20/2012 6:40pm
it was the same thing with 125 vs 250 2 strokes.... in order to utilize the power you have to maintain your momentum and carry speed differently than a bike with more HP!

Johnny O smoked all the 250cc and 500cc at what the 84 or 86 MXDN?

give it a rest people, quit being so pussified with everything!!!!

The Shop

6/20/2012 6:40pm Edited Date/Time 6/20/2012 6:43pm
jasonv43 wrote:
[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GnP0hDnLVPw/Tgeki1ThyMI/AAAAAAAAFSQ/eCUUD7TQ2bI/s640/pig-racing.jpg[/img]

HA!

Way to cute to be a BFP 450!

ACTUALLY is that Barcia, Roczen, Tomack and Bagget at the finish line?

And which is which?

normanmx
6/20/2012 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 6/20/2012 6:51pm
jasonv43 wrote:
[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GnP0hDnLVPw/Tgeki1ThyMI/AAAAAAAAFSQ/eCUUD7TQ2bI/s640/pig-racing.jpg[/img]
. HA! Way to cute to be a BFP 450! ACTUALLY is that Barcia, Roczen, Tomack and Bagget at the finish line? And which is which...

HA!

Way to cute to be a BFP 450!

ACTUALLY is that Barcia, Roczen, Tomack and Bagget at the finish line?

And which is which?

Maybe the only one that gets the point!!!!LOL !!!LOL!!!! And FYI the one always crashing before winning this season is Roczen.
RM127
6/20/2012 6:53pm
I always thought having a stock pro class would be awesome for bike sales. Virtually the best bike wins.

All they can change is:

-Handle bar controls
-Foot pegs (height)
-Tires

But the huge problem is Money. Now the Brand of bike will have to supply parts. No more money and free parts from aftermarket parts.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
6/20/2012 6:56pm
"What is the real use for 450s if 250s are equal or faster in both motocross and supercross?"

they aren't.
ProMoto
6/20/2012 7:18pm
Strictly from a fans perspective why have 2 pro classes with 40 riders each when they lap up to 20th place in both? Imagine the outdoors with the top 20 450 riders and the top 20 250 riders together. Any displacement they want to ride. See how many pick the 250f.
TDeath21
6/20/2012 8:17pm
It takes a lot more strength and stamina to muscle a 450 around than a 250. When Baggett pins it and rails a corner, Dungey has to pick the right spot, slow down a bit, then make the turn. Yes the 250 guys are setting faster lap times than all but 1 of the 450 riders. However, if you put those same guys on 450s, their lap times wouldn't be as fast and they wouldn't finish 2-3-4-5 behind Dungey.
fader418
6/20/2012 10:39pm
TDeath21 wrote:
It takes a lot more strength and stamina to muscle a 450 around than a 250. When Baggett pins it and rails a corner, Dungey has...
It takes a lot more strength and stamina to muscle a 450 around than a 250. When Baggett pins it and rails a corner, Dungey has to pick the right spot, slow down a bit, then make the turn. Yes the 250 guys are setting faster lap times than all but 1 of the 450 riders. However, if you put those same guys on 450s, their lap times wouldn't be as fast and they wouldn't finish 2-3-4-5 behind Dungey.
Thats funny. How many laps did Barcia lead Dungey last summer? Pretty much all of them except for a few. Yeah it would be tough for BB, ET, JB to beat Tickle. Has Tickle ever beat any of those guys outdoors in his life? Ok so maybe you are talking about Alessi. Those guys can and will beat Mike too.
6/21/2012 1:19am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2012 1:20am
TDeath21 wrote:
It takes a lot more strength and stamina to muscle a 450 around than a 250. When Baggett pins it and rails a corner, Dungey has...
fader418 wrote:
Thats funny. How many laps did Barcia lead Dungey last summer? Pretty much all of them except for a few. Yeah it would be tough for...
Thats funny. How many laps did Barcia lead Dungey last summer? Pretty much all of them except for a few. Yeah it would be tough for BB, ET, JB to beat Tickle. Has Tickle ever beat any of those guys outdoors in his life? Ok so maybe you are talking about Alessi. Those guys can and will beat Mike too.
I don't think Barcia lead Dungey last year more than Dungey lead Barcia (starting from his debut at Unadilla) and he certainly didn't beat RD many times in results. Justin was a solid 3rd place guy at some of his 450 races last year - behind Dungey and Villopoto. When he does make the full transition I have no doubt he'll be in the mix. But to get the better of RD? Not for a while.

I'm all for keeping the 450s because there are some guys who would be at a serious disadvantage otherwise due to their size. I have no doubt that Davi Millsaps can haul on a 250, just as Ken De Dycker could in Europe. But those guys and people like them would feel a noticeable hindrance from their size on the smaller displacement bike.

The 450 class is a great equalizer for the smaller teams and privateer because it's a class where horse power isn't so much of a factor. Yes OK, a top 250 rider can apparently beat a top 450 rider with much less HP. But a 450 is heavier, it's harder to muscle around, harder to brake and get stopped up the inside of a corner etc. If you're a privateer in the 250f class or as I said, a rider on one of the smaller teams - it's VERY difficult racing against the faster 250fs where, against each other with none of the weight and handling disadvantages.... horse power is a huge factor.
Waldy
6/21/2012 3:08am
Hasn't this question already been answered by Alessi's 2010 season and Shorts 2011 season. There is no replacement for displacement. If 250f's raced with 450's the 450s would just take all the inside lines and pull away from the 250's coming out of corners. the 250s wouldn't be able to pass. Another example of how this doesn't work was Kyle Cunningham at the moister cup. I think that the racing on 450's is fine but the Supercross tracks need to be slower/ more technical. The outdoor racing is fine, We're just out of luck because of injuries to the top guys this year. I think the new group of fast kids coming up to the 450 class next year; will make things a lot more interesting.
6/21/2012 4:10am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2012 4:11am
currently the 450 class is simply there as a fill in until RV, CR, TC and JS get back to race fitness. At that point it becomes a viable sport again, sorry and I know it's a shite comment but it's so true.

Currently I wish the TV footage was of places 9 backwards as clearly that is where the action must be, nothing much happening @ the front.
mikem
6/21/2012 6:51am
Currently I think the guys in the 250 class are faster (other than Dungey) than the guys in the 450 class. If you were to move Barcia, Roczen, Baggett and Tomac into the 450 class they would still be running up front. IMO. If Tickle, Weimer, Alessi went down to the 250 class they would be running behind those guys. Regardless of what size bike they were on.
moto282
6/21/2012 7:00am
I remember Stewart matching or beating 250 laptimes on his 125 too, so it's not like this hasn't happened before.
newmann
6/21/2012 7:09am
The open class has always been the manly man class. Just because it's run on fuel injected thumpers, that doesn't change things. Put those 130 lb. kids on them without bulking up a bit and the injured list will only get worse.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
6/21/2012 7:15am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2012 7:17am
. The point of a Big Fat Pig 450 is to idle around a track. And to sell said Big Fat Pig to the ever increasing...

The point of a Big Fat Pig 450 is to idle around a track.

And to sell said Big Fat Pig to the ever increasing overweight MX rider.

He's right actually, I'm 6'2" and have a few extra pounds. The lil 250f's would seize right up trying to do a big hill climb. But it does have alot to do with having a race for the people that want to see big bikes as well. When you go to a drag race or a oval track race, people always want to see how the faster and bigger horse power.

What would quick really add to the mix is bringing back a pro open class where nitro and turbos are added to the mix.
Faceaz
6/21/2012 7:28am
TDeath21 wrote:
fader418 wrote:
Thats funny. How many laps did Barcia lead Dungey last summer? Pretty much all of them except for a few. Yeah it would be tough for...
I don't think Barcia lead Dungey last year more than Dungey lead Barcia (starting from his debut at Unadilla) and he certainly didn't beat RD many...
I don't think Barcia lead Dungey last year more than Dungey lead Barcia (starting from his debut at Unadilla) and he certainly didn't beat RD many times in results. Justin was a solid 3rd place guy at some of his 450 races last year - behind Dungey and Villopoto. When he does make the full transition I have no doubt he'll be in the mix. But to get the better of RD? Not for a while.

I'm all for keeping the 450s because there are some guys who would be at a serious disadvantage otherwise due to their size. I have no doubt that Davi Millsaps can haul on a 250, just as Ken De Dycker could in Europe. But those guys and people like them would feel a noticeable hindrance from their size on the smaller displacement bike.

The 450 class is a great equalizer for the smaller teams and privateer because it's a class where horse power isn't so much of a factor. Yes OK, a top 250 rider can apparently beat a top 450 rider with much less HP. But a 450 is heavier, it's harder to muscle around, harder to brake and get stopped up the inside of a corner etc. If you're a privateer in the 250f class or as I said, a rider on one of the smaller teams - it's VERY difficult racing against the faster 250fs where, against each other with none of the weight and handling disadvantages.... horse power is a huge factor.
So from your logic, the 250's are the premier class. Afterall, anyone can buy a 450 & have competitive equipment. More evidence things are screwed up, when the up / coming class takes more money than the premier class.
newmann
6/21/2012 7:42am
fader418 wrote:
I don't think Barcia lead Dungey last year more than Dungey lead Barcia (starting from his debut at Unadilla) and he certainly didn't beat RD many...

Faceaz wrote:
So from your logic, the 250's are the premier class. Afterall, anyone can buy a 450 & have competitive equipment. More evidence things are screwed up...
So from your logic, the 250's are the premier class. Afterall, anyone can buy a 450 & have competitive equipment. More evidence things are screwed up, when the up / coming class takes more money than the premier class.
Bingo. The 125 class should come back. The 250 class should be the premier class with 250 2 stroke and 4 stroke bikes. Then the open class. As in OPEN. Simple.
normanmx
6/21/2012 7:52am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2012 7:57am
This sounds like a very good and interesting idea to give this sport an exciting twist.
Plus the manufacturers and aftermarket parts would be delighted I would guess
6/21/2012 7:54am

Faceaz wrote:
So from your logic, the 250's are the premier class. Afterall, anyone can buy a 450 & have competitive equipment. More evidence things are screwed up...
newmann wrote:
Bingo. The 125 class should come back. The 250 class should be the premier class with 250 2 stroke and 4 stroke bikes. Then the open...
Bingo. The 125 class should come back. The 250 class should be the premier class with 250 2 stroke and 4 stroke bikes. Then the open class. As in OPEN. Simple.
Agreed 100%.
6/21/2012 8:01am
The point of the 450's is to get more money from the consumer.
ktm125
6/21/2012 8:08am
8686 wrote:
bingo..we have a winner!
normanmx
6/21/2012 8:09am
8686 wrote:
Wrong...the 250s are harder and more expensive to maintain.Thus generating more for the manufacturers than 450s.
6/21/2012 8:11am
normanmx wrote:
Wrong...the 250s are harder and more expensive to maintain.Thus generating more for the manufacturers than 450s.
That was just a general statement. Wasn't saying that one generates more revenue than another. Deep breaths, Norman.
6/21/2012 8:23am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2012 8:26am
fader418 wrote:

Faceaz wrote:
In a way yes, it's the premier class from the point of view of equipment.

But really it's always been that way to a certain extent with the smaller capacity bikes. It doesn't mean a rider can't overcome a lack of stellar equipment, it just means it's tougher. It's harder to make your CRF 250 competitive with say, what Justin Barcia rides, than it is starting with a stock KXF 450 and what Villopoto is riding.

However that's only a part of the story. By it's nature Motocross/Supercoss has and will continue to become more and more exclusive the more and more "Professional" it becomes. That can't really be helped. Not saying it's a good thing.
6/21/2012 8:32am
ProMoto wrote:
Strictly from a fans perspective why have 2 pro classes with 40 riders each when they lap up to 20th place in both? Imagine the outdoors...
Strictly from a fans perspective why have 2 pro classes with 40 riders each when they lap up to 20th place in both? Imagine the outdoors with the top 20 450 riders and the top 20 250 riders together. Any displacement they want to ride. See how many pick the 250f.
Yea, imagine that.... sounds like the MXDN
peelout
6/21/2012 8:34am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2012 8:34am
let me put it this way, Bro, when i was riding 250s hoes didn't want me, now i'm on a 450 and hoes all up on me
Eywa
6/21/2012 8:35am
normanmx wrote:
Maybe an old thread..but really...What is the real use for 450s if 250s are equal or faster in both motocross and supercross? Add to that the...
Maybe an old thread..but really...What is the real use for 450s if 250s are equal or faster in both motocross and supercross?
Add to that the factor that half the 450 riders for some strange reason are getting injured and that many MX/SX enthusiasts like me enjoy the 250s intensity much more.
Maybe 350s is an option? 250 stock and modified? Hell I dont know but something is not right....Just IMO.
I look at it from a consumer point of view. Where does the used up MX bike by a local pro or b rider go to? Maybe to another racer but most racers I know want new bikes and only those on a small budget or beginners wanting to try the sport out buy those bikes.

But other buyer is trail riders. Buy mx bikes and ride them on the trails. There are enduro riders that convert mx to trails.

For heavier vets and senior, people at high altitude (in Colorado you lose 15-20 percent horsepower,) the extra power is desired, they are more durable because they are not as highly strung or trying to eek out every ounce of performance out of them. There is a place for them, just like there was a place for 500 2 strokes, which were good desert machines. But they are gone because of AMA and Manufacturers, but mostly people did not choose them. When people stop choosing 450s as a bike to ride, they will go away but for me I will only purchase a 450.

Post a reply to: What is the point of 450s ??

The Latest