WARNING: Torque your battery bolts.

aroark247
Edited Date/Time 8/13/2018 3:14am
At least for Honda, if the negative lead comes loose or off, it will immediately cut the engine. And it doesn't give a shit if you're on a jump face or not.
|
Moto96
8/11/2018 8:34am
Thats always been an issue with a battery on certain systems including some cars. You pull either lead and it wont run on just the alternator like the old days. Or if the battery dies, so does the machine regardless if the connections are tight.. That's why batteryless is best.

Of course, then you can't be lazy and have to kick it.

GODZILLA
8/11/2018 9:06am
I know that since I spent a looooong time deep in the woods, with a brand new KTM '12 that wouldn't start, far, far away from home...
Wink
ob
8/11/2018 9:26am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2018 9:30am
GODZILLA wrote:
I know that since I spent a looooong time deep in the woods, with a brand new KTM '12 that wouldn't start, far, far away from...
I know that since I spent a looooong time deep in the woods, with a brand new KTM '12 that wouldn't start, far, far away from home...
Wink
You can bump start KTMs with a dead battery, and they will also run with a dead battery. Or if your ktm battery fails in the woods and you happen to be riding with another Ktm you can put the good battery in your bike start it then pull the battery out and put it back in the other ktm.
Just don't start the bushes on fire while one idles as you work on the other bike. Not saying that ever happend to me lol.
8/11/2018 9:29am
GODZILLA wrote:
I know that since I spent a looooong time deep in the woods, with a brand new KTM '12 that wouldn't start, far, far away from...
Wink
ob wrote:
You can bump start KTMs with a dead battery, and they will also run with a dead battery. Or if your ktm battery fails in the...
You can bump start KTMs with a dead battery, and they will also run with a dead battery. Or if your ktm battery fails in the woods and you happen to be riding with another Ktm you can put the good battery in your bike start it then pull the battery out and put it back in the other ktm.
Just don't start the bushes on fire while one idles as you work on the other bike. Not saying that ever happend to me lol.
The SXF won't.... My mate tried with his SXF250 '16 and it would start but die almost immediately.

The Shop

ob
8/11/2018 9:31am
GODZILLA wrote:
Wink
ob wrote:
You can bump start KTMs with a dead battery, and they will also run with a dead battery. Or if your ktm battery fails in the...
The SXF won't.... My mate tried with his SXF250 '16 and it would start but die almost immediately.
My sxf will.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
8/11/2018 9:39am
So these bikes dont run if battery is dead? I figured it was just for starter. I was thinking you could just park at the top of a hill each time you got off the track and bump start it each time if the was an issue but know realize with all the electronics with ignition etc it is needed. That sucks. Lol
My 15 is without so will be a new experience.
BobPA
8/11/2018 9:43am
GODZILLA wrote:
Wink
ob wrote:
My SX-F also will.
ob
8/11/2018 9:53am
FLmxer wrote:
So these bikes dont run if battery is dead? I figured it was just for starter. I was thinking you could just park at the top...
So these bikes dont run if battery is dead? I figured it was just for starter. I was thinking you could just park at the top of a hill each time you got off the track and bump start it each time if the was an issue but know realize with all the electronics with ignition etc it is needed. That sucks. Lol
My 15 is without so will be a new experience.
KTMs will run with a bead battery, I'm not sure why the Hondas won't? No capacitor?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/11/2018 9:56am
I just want to be the first to post that I've never had this problem on a 2-stroke. Whistling
8/11/2018 10:00am
Falcon wrote:
I just want to be the first to post that I've never had this problem on a 2-stroke. Whistling
Never had this problem on a Kawi or Zook. I do know guys who have DNF'd races due to blown fuses on their KTM though.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
8/11/2018 10:01am
Maybe they could throw in dual batteries to balance out the dual pipes
Moto96
8/11/2018 10:23am
ob wrote:
BobPA wrote:
My SX-F also will.
From what I gather it depends on the system/year. Some cars wont do this either. Some wont idle if you pull either cable, but will run with a dead battery once started. Some at least need the loop connection to run. For example, you could replace the battery with a capacitor to make a loop.

Batteryless is a foolproof setup, but you gotta kick or bumpstart.
pdub187
Fantasy
2544th
8/12/2018 3:19pm
I got stuck with a flat battery in deep loose sand on my old 250sxf a few years back. A push start wasn't happening. That was a fun push.
Lynch
8/12/2018 11:25pm
Never had this problem on a Kawi or Zook. I do know guys who have DNF'd races due to blown fuses on their KTM though.
This, spent all day at the race track, practise at 9, qualify at 11 and the freaking fuse goes while on the gate before the final moto 5 hours later..
Francis377
8/13/2018 12:48am
ob wrote:
BobPA wrote:
My SX-F also will.
Any sxf should .
I was too cheap to replace my battery after the winter and my mates had to push me for the bump start before each moto for an entire summer. If it doesnt bump start there probably is a different isuue with the bike.
steed 2.0
8/13/2018 3:14am
aroark247 wrote:
At least for Honda, if the negative lead comes loose or off, it will immediately cut the engine. And it doesn't give a shit if you're...
At least for Honda, if the negative lead comes loose or off, it will immediately cut the engine. And it doesn't give a shit if you're on a jump face or not.

Post a reply to: WARNING: Torque your battery bolts.

The Latest