Vote With Your Wallet

Chili
7/16/2010 10:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 5:54am
You see this phrase a lot from the 4 stroke faithful as the reason we no longer have much for choices for new 2 strokes. Well how much of it is people truly not willing to buy 2 strokes and how much is that it seems damn near impossible?

After 5 years of 4 strokes and one season on a 450 my son has decided he just doesn't enjoy racing a 450 as much as pretty much any other bike he's previously owned so it's up for sale. As a recent college grad saving to buy a home he doesn't want to risk owning another 250F so it was time for another smoker.

I spent a good portion of the day calling every KTM dealer in ND and MN to put down a deposit on a 2011 250SX for him and was shocked that the Orange 2 stroke saviors seem to be limiting availability.

First place I called was a big KTM dealer and was informed he can't get me one. He asked KTM for 10 (he's presold 7) and KTM is giving him 4. Next dealer I tried is a small shop he stated he ordered "a couple" and he's getting none. Next two larger dealers both are getting 1, one is confirming with KTM rep they are actually going to get it before we finalize a deal. Last dealer that called me back said KTM hacked his order down and no 250SX for his shop either.

So unless I'm getting fed a line and these dealers don't want my kids money it appears there is a grand total of 6 250SX's that are going to hit ND and MN and one dealer had already presold 7, hard to vote with your wallet in those circumstances. All of the shops had SX-F's available for me though.
|
wardy
7/16/2010 10:40pm
heck call aj and he can build you any smoker you want......
Chili
7/16/2010 10:48pm
Geezus Ger keep quiet, if he spends AJ money he'll be living with us forever Smile
CamP
7/16/2010 11:25pm
Get a YZ250. It's a better bike anyway. You can get this new '10 for $5775 otd in Minnesota right now.

LINK
Chili
7/16/2010 11:31pm
CamP wrote:
Get a YZ250. It's a better bike anyway. You can get this new '10 for $5775 otd in Minnesota right now.

LINK
We had that conversation as well but that is less than $500 dollars cheaper than the 2011 KTM and the kid just doesn't dig the fact the YZ hasn't updated it's look other than the aluminum frame since what 2001?

The Shop

redrider400
7/16/2010 11:33pm
CamP wrote:

LINK
geezuz, thats awesome. I just bought a 2010 yz450f because when I went to look at the yz250, the otd price with only a couple hundred dollars more for the 450. They said that they couldnt come off of the price on the yz250 because they are in high demand around here (atlanta, ga by the way). I would have driven up there for that deal.
the_wood109
7/17/2010 12:05am
Didn't the church make the same argument at one time?
Lightning78
7/17/2010 1:30am
Chili wrote:
You see this phrase a lot from the 4 stroke faithful as the reason we no longer have much for choices for new 2 strokes. Well...
You see this phrase a lot from the 4 stroke faithful as the reason we no longer have much for choices for new 2 strokes. Well how much of it is people truly not willing to buy 2 strokes and how much is that it seems damn near impossible?

After 5 years of 4 strokes and one season on a 450 my son has decided he just doesn't enjoy racing a 450 as much as pretty much any other bike he's previously owned so it's up for sale. As a recent college grad saving to buy a home he doesn't want to risk owning another 250F so it was time for another smoker.

I spent a good portion of the day calling every KTM dealer in ND and MN to put down a deposit on a 2011 250SX for him and was shocked that the Orange 2 stroke saviors seem to be limiting availability.

First place I called was a big KTM dealer and was informed he can't get me one. He asked KTM for 10 (he's presold 7) and KTM is giving him 4. Next dealer I tried is a small shop he stated he ordered "a couple" and he's getting none. Next two larger dealers both are getting 1, one is confirming with KTM rep they are actually going to get it before we finalize a deal. Last dealer that called me back said KTM hacked his order down and no 250SX for his shop either.

So unless I'm getting fed a line and these dealers don't want my kids money it appears there is a grand total of 6 250SX's that are going to hit ND and MN and one dealer had already presold 7, hard to vote with your wallet in those circumstances. All of the shops had SX-F's available for me though.
Thats what I find so ridiculous about the whole "Vote with your wallet" advice we seem to be getting on here from industry folks........listen up you who pass advice from Keith Mcarty and whoever is running the KTM stuff............................WE CANNOT FIND NOR BUY THEM PLEASE MAKE THEM AT VERY LEAST A-FUCKIN-VAILIABLE SO THOSE OF THAT WANT TO "VOTE WITH OUR WALLETS" CAN DO SO!!!!!!!!

I love it when I read a comment from an industry guy in here about "voting with our wallets" when its obvios that none are avail seemingly on purpose............. at least give us the chance to vote with our wallets and don't say the same and not make the bikes available to us to buy, inevitably leaving most with the unappealing decision to buy a 4 stroke because last years 4 stroke model is being blown out due to lack of sales..... and dealers are getting a rich-diculous premium for the 3 to 5 smokers they are receiving for the year!.....................It doesnt work that way, almost like dangling the carrot in front of a horse yet not letting them get it when they are all for just that.

Yamaha and KTYM and ALL other MFG's (besides Honda) LISTEN UP!!!! There are a lot of riders looking for the 2 strokes yet they arent available. One of you needs to sack up and take control of a rapidly re-emerging market, the first MFG to do so will be rewarded with a dam good amount of revenue and corner the 2 stroke market/demand.....sadly there is too much pride in making the 4 stroke that MFG's feel as if they have to push the 4 strokes on riders that simply do not want them..........I really don't feel it is all about a conspiracy theory with making more money I think its all about their pride being hurt with a side of making more money but I stand by the thought that the majority of this mess is all about pride not a conspiracy theory to take all the money from out wallets.

Cygnus
7/17/2010 6:05am
Why not look for a clean unused used bike?
SteveS
7/17/2010 6:36am
Cygnus wrote:
Good solution, but it wouldn't count as a "vote with your wallet".
Cygnus
7/17/2010 6:47am
Cygnus wrote:
SteveS wrote:
Sure it does. The dealer gets no cash since they don't have bikes
motogroove
7/17/2010 7:00am Edited Date/Time 7/17/2010 7:12am
The new Husqvarnas might be worth a look. They are beautiful and seem plenty fast too.

Too bad the new 2-stroke Husabergs are all enduro models (doesn't sound like you want an enduro). 300 six speed with switchable ignition, adjustable exhaust port (powervalve?), electric start, fancy forks but retro PDS...

It's not easy being a nonconformist. More power to you.

-Dean 2001 GasGas xc300
motogroove
7/17/2010 7:11am
Oh jeez, I guess the biggest 2-stroke husky motocrosser is the CR125.
Looks like fun, but again not what you seek.
Suns_PSD
7/17/2010 8:33am
I haven't shopped this year but in the past I had no trouble tracking down new 250Sx's. Heck I've seen a few left over 2010's floating around.

I'd suggest to keep looking. It's a fantastic motorcycle.
Chili
7/17/2010 10:30am
Cygnus wrote:
SteveS wrote:
Cygnus wrote:
Sure it does. The dealer gets no cash since they don't have bikes
But as far as sales go it would not register as a 2 stroke purchased it would just be another new bike not purchased. He's reached a stage in his life where after having a new bike every year or every second year at worst this will likely be at least a 4 or 5 season bike. For that main reason he's trying to buy the most current technology and look he can in a 250 smoker.

My main point was I was just caught off guard with how hard it appears this bike will be to get my hands on and the fact we are continually told there are less and less two strokes because no one will buy them. Looks like my negotiating ploy of asking the dealer if the price will improve if I take two and dump my 450 will be severely hampered LOL.
aggiemoto99
7/17/2010 10:40am
Get a yamaha if it's available.

And email KTM and say you wanted one but it wasn't around to purchase.

Great bike...tell him now that he is on a two stroke he needs to forget about looks.

Instead show up no graphics..worn plastics...and rip a fat holeshot against the blinged 250f's.

Chili
7/17/2010 10:44am
Sadly here he can't race 250F's he still has to run in MX1 against the 450's.
Tiki
Fantasy
1774th
7/17/2010 10:52am
I am afraid that ship has sailed Chili.
Blake
7/17/2010 11:57am
My next bike will be a 250 or larger KTM 2 stroke. Or nothing.

Post a reply to: Vote With Your Wallet

The Latest