Vortex (XPR or Twisted Development) on " 19-21" 450 KTM- Any Experiences?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/30/2021 7:23 AM

Who's running XPR or Twisted Development mapped Vortex ECU on 19-21 KTM 450? Looking for experience and input with either one. No engine or pipe mods planned, plan on staying with 91 octane. Goal is better low-mid pull for using 3rd gear out of corners and reduced engine braking. Any specific experience with certain maps either is using?

Thanks

|

4/30/2021 9:06 AM

I do have vortex for my CRF 450R 2017 from XPR, works really good...............broad, easy and strong power.

|

4/30/2021 9:26 AM

I have a 21 Gas Gas MC 450 with a Vortex mapped by Twisted Development. I like it much better than stock and also much better than with the FMF Pipe and stock ignition. Twisted did the remap fast! Never rode the Vortex ignition without the pipe! Go for it the resale on Vortex is strong if you hate it.

|

4/30/2021 9:28 AM

VetRider97 wrote:

Who's running XPR or Twisted Development mapped Vortex ECU on 19-21 KTM 450? Looking for experience and input with either one. ...more

Have you tried re gearing your bike yet?

I own a 21 KTM 450 and I have resisted getting a Vortex, and I have found that going to either a 13 51 or a 13-52 allows more low end pop out of third.

if you have the stock gearing, (13-49) then your ratio is 3.77.

Going to a 13-51 will make it 3.92, or a 13-52 will be 4.00, so you can get to the meat of third gear easier. Of course this will slow down top speed a bit but you may be able to leave it in third for most of your laps.

|

4/30/2021 9:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2021 9:37 AM

VetRider97 wrote:

Who's running XPR or Twisted Development mapped Vortex ECU on 19-21 KTM 450? Looking for experience and input with either one. ...more

I have one on my 18.5 450 FE which is a 19. Love it over stock. Its not like huge or massive gains or anything but its cleaner, broader and more responsive. Where the Vortex shines is when you start changing cams, throttle bodies, race fuel and HC pistons. You can tune it to your engine mods, fuel you run or both.

I'm also running a pipe, airbox cover vented, and cageless filter.

Like Brent said lower your gearing to a 51 rear. I can even start in 3rd with this and never shift to the first corner unless its really long.

|

5/1/2021 6:55 AM

Brent wrote:

I own a 21 KTM 450 and I have resisted getting a Vortex, and I have found that going ...more

Thanks for input.

Right now gearing is stock and seems pretty good for tracks I ride. Whenever I went up a tooth on rear on my past bikes and it made me shift more often including my 17 450 KTM and I trying to stay away from shifting as much as possible. Goal is to make bottom/mid throttle cleaner, broader and more responsive.

Per comments here and other reviews I have read the Vortex gives modest gains in these areas. I also want to try the maps with reduced engine braking.

I was looking at going with the KTM connectivity unit but have been told experienced vet pro the Vortex is better way to go and best mod to start with for this bike over pipe.

|

5/1/2021 8:09 AM

I had one for my 21 crf 450 from twisted and it wasn’t what I wanted . Sent it back two times and nothing changed. Talked to Chad from xpr and I just bought another one from him . The bike now is awesome pulls so nice and revvs forever . I would go with xpr

|

5/1/2021 10:47 AM

Like my Vortex from Twisted on my Husky. Starts easier/quicker. Smoother all around. You'll loose the bar mounted traction control option.

|

5/1/2021 4:25 PM

VetRider97 wrote:

Brent wrote:

I own a 21 KTM 450 and I have resisted getting a Vortex, and I have found that going ...more

VetRider97 wrote:

Thanks for input.

Right now gearing is stock and seems pretty good for tracks I ride. Whenever I went up a tooth on rear on ...more

I bought and tried the connectivity unit on by KTM for one day, and took it off.

The changes it made were so subtle that it wasn't worth the hassle or cost.

Im going to e bay it.

|

5/1/2021 4:43 PM

Brent wrote:

I bought and tried the connectivity unit on by KTM for one day, and took it off.

The changes it made were so subtle that it ...more

I had the opposite experience. I added the connectivity unit to my GasGas MC450 with a full FMF system and love it. I rode a friends GasGas with a Twisted mapped Vortex and liked my bike better. But we all ride differently and ride different tracks.

|

5/1/2021 10:37 PM

VetRider97 wrote:

Thanks for input.

Right now gearing is stock and seems pretty good for tracks I ride. Whenever I went up a tooth on rear on ...more

Brent wrote:

The changes it made were so subtle that it ...more

moto67e wrote:

I had the opposite experience. I added the connectivity unit to my GasGas MC450 with a full FMF system and love it. I rode a ...more

I thought the connectivity unit didn’t work on gasgas? Did you use the husky or ktm app?

|

5/2/2021 2:04 AM

I had Tokyo mods remap my stock ktm250sxf and it made a world of difference

|