Vital MX Forum QNA: Mitch Payton

MitchPayton
1/20/2016 3:38pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2016 3:56pm
Whitey wrote:
Gday Mitch, thanks for swinging by Of all your riders past and present who do you think challenged you the most to get the best/most out...
Gday Mitch, thanks for swinging by

Of all your riders past and present who do you think challenged you the most to get the best/most out of them and how did you go about achieving that?

To what degree have you been involved with Chad in both bike and career advice?
I think, mate, maybe Nathan Ramsey. He proved that my way wasn't always the best way. I backed off, he won, and we're friends still today.

So far with Chad's racing this year we're only involved with the exhaust that he uses on the bike. In the past we've done exhausts, sometimes engine, and sometimes even suspension. Will do whatever he asked us to do, he's been a really loyal friend.
OldYZRider1
1/20/2016 4:15pm
It seems we see a lot of very talented 250 guys have trouble transitioning from the 250's to 450's with many injuries occurring. This hurts a riders career earnings potential in the sport and I'd think hurts the teams ability to get and retain sponsors. It also seems that these new 250's can run the pace of the 450's at many tracks, even at the nationals. The question is; do we need to separate the classes? Could 250's and 450's run together such that the team can compete on whichever they feel works best for them or their rider?

Thanks for all you've done for the sport of MX!
1/20/2016 4:45pm
Mitch there's been rumors that kawi and Suzuki are developing a 125 again released in the next few years, would you welcome a 125cc class added to the pro nationals as a stepping stone class for young riders? Or do schoolboy 1 and 2 classes give kids ample opportunity to grow into a professional ? What are your thoughts on kids (12-16) just jumping right from an 85/112 to riding a 250F ?

Thanks for your response in advance
imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
1/20/2016 8:18pm
Mitch, you are the man!

1. Did you ever visit the VitalMX forum, before now?

2. Do you ever expect there to be a 2 stroke winning a SX or MX race again?

Thanks for the way you represent the sport and doing this Q & A on Vital.

The Shop

1/20/2016 10:06pm
Hey Mitch

I've noticed some of the top factory teams are using steel shock springs now. Factory honda and Ken Roczens rch suzuki are two examples that come to mind.

Have you considered making the switch back to steel shock springs or do the benifits of a ti shock spring still outweigh the benifits of running a steel spring?

Would you give a member on your team the option of running a steel spring if they wanted to?

Thanks

Jono
1/21/2016 1:05am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 1:06am
Just want to Thank you for all your work and effort you put into the sport.

Did PC put in a bid in for JS7/259 when he moved up from minis or was that not an option?

I've seen pictures that he tested the Honda CR125 but i'm not exactly sure when that was, also i was too young back then to get involved with the politics of the sport.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
1/21/2016 8:08am
Did you really call the [police On Breker for stealing your new sod?
MitchPayton
1/21/2016 1:47pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 4:21pm
Sully wrote:
Thanks for doing this Mitch. A few members here have told stories of some of the stuff you guys used to do at your PC Husky...
Thanks for doing this Mitch.

A few members here have told stories of some of the stuff you guys used to do at your PC Husky shop. What's your best story/memory from back then? I'm sure the statute of limitations has run out on most stuff.
In the old days sometimes we had bachelor parties there, and they got kind of wild. Had mud wrestling and thank goodness no cell phones with cameras.
MitchPayton
1/21/2016 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 4:20pm
jnickell wrote:
HI Mitch. You have worked with some of the greatest riders of all time. Including THE guy that owns that title. Who are some of the...
HI Mitch. You have worked with some of the greatest riders of all time. Including THE guy that owns that title. Who are some of the riders you didn't have an opportunity to work with that you wish you did?
Probably in the US I've got to work with almost everybody that I wanted to. Kevin Windham was one that I wished I could've worked with, and maybe Chad Reed when he first came to the US should I got him.
MitchPayton
1/21/2016 1:59pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 4:19pm
Mit12 wrote:
Mitch, First off Congratulations on your successful career! I remember when we met at a Sled Riders meating and hanging around with the gang at the...
Mitch,
First off Congratulations on your successful career! I remember when we met at a Sled Riders meating and hanging around with the gang at the old Anaheim Husky shop. Boy we could fill this form with stories of old. My question to you is, looking back on those times did you ever think you would be the most successful Race team in MX and SX? And what were the greatest challanges you have had to overcome business wise?
Thanks Tim
No, I didn't think I would ever be in the position I am now. I am very lucky, and have worked really hard to be here and I would say the biggest challenge was when we were young to get the manufacturers to try our products.
MitchPayton
1/21/2016 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 4:19pm
mauidex wrote:
knowing how psycho Honda was back in the day with riders and clothing regarding logos and colors and all kinds of corporate hoops, mid 80's to...
knowing how psycho Honda was back in the day with riders and clothing regarding logos and colors and all kinds of corporate hoops, mid 80's to 90's, .........how the hell did you get them to let you run BLUE Hondas????? or was it ask for forgiveness instead of permission....LOL ????
Honda was actually OK with it in the beginning, and it was probably one of the best things to happen to the sport to bring in an outside sponsor. But they had kind of just started this new thing called Ride Red, and it really didn't go so well with that they had a decision to make at the end of our second year and they told me to go away.
MitchPayton
1/21/2016 2:05pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 4:18pm
Mitch, could you share a little about the prairie dogs mc and how you were one of the founders? also, do you have any good stories...
Mitch,
could you share a little about the prairie dogs mc and how you were one of the founders? also, do you have any good stories from your desert racing days?
I remember the club with Dave Davidson and Mike Dice and some other people. I was really young. I had more fun I think probably in those days because I was not a very good rider, and didn't care if I was and just had a blast riding motorcycles.
MitchPayton
1/21/2016 2:09pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 4:23pm
Mitch, My son was recently made disabled, what advice can you give him that will help him as he grows up not being as able as...
Mitch,

My son was recently made disabled, what advice can you give him that will help him as he grows up not being as able as everybody else and possibly being teased.

Regards

Travis

P.s Did you ever try to snag Travis Patrana when he was on 80s riding Suzuki's as he was becoming pro? i always wondered this.
Keep a positive attitude, try to find something that he's passionate about. Always believe that things will get better, and as far as being picked on that's a pussy move. Send them my way.
moto726
1/21/2016 5:21pm
Hey Mitch,

First off thanks for doing this, it's cool of you to take time out of your busy schedule to interact with us crazy vital people! I can't think of a cool question to ask other than I met you at the Seattle supercross a couple years back and when I first seen you I seen you coming out of the bathroom and didn't think that was an appropriate place to stop a guy and say hello haha, I eventually seen you in the pits though, anyway, what's the strangest fan request/interaction that you've had? Thanks again!

1/21/2016 5:29pm
Hi Mitch,

My oldest boy turns five this year and is really looking forward to his first motorcycle. What advice do you have for fathers and mothers alike who want to introduce their kid(s) to the sport this early?

Also, if you were to buy a 50 today, would you buy a two or four-stroke?

Thanks!
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
1/21/2016 8:54pm
ML512 wrote:
Mitch, How many mini-dads or agents have you had call you up, or approach you and say "Did you see how fast my kid/rider was going...
Mitch,

How many mini-dads or agents have you had call you up, or approach you and say "Did you see how fast my kid/rider was going last Thursday at Glen Helen? He was pretty close to your guys..."

Laughing
That's ptetty damn funny right there.
FlaNard
1/21/2016 10:56pm
Just a thank you from me Mitch. You're an icon and we appreciate all that you do and have done for the sport.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
1/22/2016 9:16am
Mitch, My son was recently made disabled, what advice can you give him that will help him as he grows up not being as able as...
Mitch,

My son was recently made disabled, what advice can you give him that will help him as he grows up not being as able as everybody else and possibly being teased.

Regards

Travis

P.s Did you ever try to snag Travis Patrana when he was on 80s riding Suzuki's as he was becoming pro? i always wondered this.
Keep a positive attitude, try to find something that he's passionate about. Always believe that things will get better, and as far as being picked on...
Keep a positive attitude, try to find something that he's passionate about. Always believe that things will get better, and as far as being picked on that's a pussy move. Send them my way.
This is the best post ever.

Thanks for doing the question/answers, I moved out to CA a few years ago, ended up stopping by PC with some Monster guys and got to shake your hand. Growing up on the east coast and being such a fan of mx, I had to mask how excited I was just to shake Mitch Paytons hand in his office. Legend!

ps-My PC exhaust on my 250sx is great
Parks65
1/22/2016 12:03pm
Hi Mitch!
I've only met you once and I was a young guy at washougal in 96' but you gave me a stack of PC Stickers(probably an attempt to shoe me away), I wanted to say thanks for being a nice guy and good luck this season!

BRING BACK THE CHROME BIKES!!!!!
NorcalVet
1/22/2016 12:33pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2016 12:36pm
Welcome aboard, hope you join in on other threads once in awile.

How about a race shop ? I have a '05 RM 250 (extra play-race bike ) basically stock except for my awesome PC works pipe.
- what would you recommend for vet-nov as I use it mainly for mx practice and racing. But sometimes I'm looking for a little more grunt for some obsticals on certain tracks.

Should I consider a 265-295 big bore?

Porting or a combination of both?

And one last question, what detailed work did you perform on RC's RM back in 2005?

Motor/ porting, suspension, custom PC works pipe....

MitchPayton
1/22/2016 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2016 8:05pm
ML512 wrote:
Mitch, How many mini-dads or agents have you had call you up, or approach you and say "Did you see how fast my kid/rider was going...
Mitch,

How many mini-dads or agents have you had call you up, or approach you and say "Did you see how fast my kid/rider was going last Thursday at Glen Helen? He was pretty close to your guys..."

Laughing
More than a few. Sometimes it's really funny.
MitchPayton
1/22/2016 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2016 8:07pm
Hi Mitch, My oldest boy turns five this year and is really looking forward to his first motorcycle. What advice do you have for fathers and...
Hi Mitch,

My oldest boy turns five this year and is really looking forward to his first motorcycle. What advice do you have for fathers and mothers alike who want to introduce their kid(s) to the sport this early?

Also, if you were to buy a 50 today, would you buy a two or four-stroke?

Thanks!
I have two twin boys. Both started on PW 50s. Rode those for a while, and are now on 50 mL KTM juniors. Take your time, it's about fun.
MitchPayton
1/22/2016 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2016 8:03pm
imoto34 wrote:
Mitch, you are the man! 1. Did you ever visit the VitalMX forum, before now? 2. Do you ever expect there to be a 2 stroke...
Mitch, you are the man!

1. Did you ever visit the VitalMX forum, before now?

2. Do you ever expect there to be a 2 stroke winning a SX or MX race again?

Thanks for the way you represent the sport and doing this Q & A on Vital.
Yes, I've looked at it quite often, and as far as a two-stroke winning a Supercross race again? I don't think so.
endurox
1/22/2016 2:59pm
Any truth to a story about your feet duct taped to a 750 Honda with you at the throttle and a fireman on the back seat?
uk125250
1/22/2016 5:44pm
Thanks for being such a big supporter of Team USA over the years.
jemcee
1/22/2016 6:27pm
Hey Mitch, been in a chair myself for about 13 years and have always wondered what's with your chair set up?
With ya feet out in front? Aren't you constantly smashing your feet against walls and shit?
Also I used to use those grey tyres but then switched to the long lasting high pressure schwalbe tyres. They're a million times better to push and last way longer but are expensive and I wonder why you don't run them, but maybe I just answered my own question cause metal shavings love to puncture tyres haha
also how much fun were you having here? haha

1/23/2016 10:20am
Hi Mitch,

is it true that Pierrot Slegers made exhausts or help them make for you in the very beginning of your company?

And how often do you speak to your foreign friends
Pierrot slegers and Jan Luyten

and did you really offer a job opening to Pierrot's son Junior when they where visiting Socal?

and if so is there a opening for me :D

Flatliner
1/25/2016 6:49pm
Can you talk a little about how involved you were with mc's 97 RM 250?

Thanks for checking out vital.
chuckdavies
1/26/2016 4:28am
Mitch - long time huge fan of yourself/PC.

My only question is would you be able to sign the front plate of my 92 McGrath Peak Cr125 please? Heres a pic of it on the CGH stand over here in the UK, thanks!

KC435
1/26/2016 8:18pm
Hello Mitch-

First, thanks for signing my Missouri boy, Austin. I will be surprised if he doesn't amount to something great in his pro career.

That being said, do you see pro racer "burnout" being greater these days than ever before?

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Mitch Payton

The Latest