Vital MX Forum QNA: Mike Genova

billyp330
10/20/2017 5:17am
LoudLove wrote:
Well, judging by the preponderance of run-on sentences, noun/verb disagreements, and punctuation errors, let's assume neither of us went to college... And yes, a non-athletic person...
Well, judging by the preponderance of run-on sentences, noun/verb disagreements, and punctuation errors, let's assume neither of us went to college...

And yes, a non-athletic person with no riding experience would struggle on a motocross course. However, you compared riding a track with "playing catch", which is a flawed analogy. A person could quickly learn to ride a KLX 110 with a moderate degree of coaching, which more closely parallels simply throwing & catching a baseball. Sure, that same person could not tackle an MX track, but they would certainly fail at making contact with a fastball as well.

Even Ricky Carmichael admitted that he did not have natural talent, but was tremendously successful due to his will and commitment to winning. But he competed against a very small talent pool, versus larger sports with millions of potential participants. And let's face it, the money in SX/MX ain't great, so the best candidates will pursue other avenues.
billyp330 wrote:
Not that it matters but I in fact did go to college and hold a B.E. in Mechanical Engineering. Unlike some i just dont care to...
Not that it matters but I in fact did go to college and hold a B.E. in Mechanical Engineering. Unlike some i just dont care to use rare terminalogy and ensure my sentences are of appropriate length to seem more intelligent then I am. Anyways back on topic. Please go talk to Aldon Baker and ask if him Ryan Dungey was a natural athlete or not. id like hear Mike's opinion of this debate.
MCR Boss wrote:
This is the last response of the night from me but I really did want to chime in on this one. Of course everything I offer...
This is the last response of the night from me but I really did want to chime in on this one. Of course everything I offer is purely my opinion and I’m going to keep under a thousand words.

I’m 58 and I’ve been playing, participating and following stick and ball sports, skiing, golf, boxing and others stuff my whole life, in addition to participating in and following motorcycle racing. While I’m average at best at all of them, I’ve been around and played with some of the best of the best atheletes in both disciplines.

The conclusion I have come to is that they are different kinds of athletes. Moto type guys, like extreme skiers, car racers and such are very coordinated with great balance, very good hand eye coordination, a certain mathematical brain when hucking a jump that they’ve never done, quick reflex’s, giant balls, a need and love for adrenaline rush, a love for individual sport as opposed to team, usually good physical assets like being wireie while being quietly strong as hell. So are these guys good athletes, hell yes. I’ve seen many of them pick up golf and play better quickly than some of my friends who were division one level atheletes. Are they great stick and ball guys, better than a pro slot receiver for the patriots, probably not.

On the flip side, the ridiculous amount athletic ability a pro stick and ball guy has is crazy. They can play anything well. They usually can dance like Fred Astaire and fly like the the wind. Their level of hand eye is also out of this world.

So it’s my opinion that they are simply two different kinds of athletes that neither could be a pro in the others world no matter how hard they tried. Steven Curry is not the kind of personality that would or could throw it side ways at 100 plus at the Sacramento mile, nor does Eli Tomac have the demeanour, running speed, and other skill set go under center for Notre Dame but he sure as hell has the strength, tenacity, balance, hand eye and much more to go down the down hill at Glen Helen at 40miles an hour and slam on the brakes at the bottom and lay it over and using extreme balance and haul ass up the hill.

Top guys in any sport are the great athletes coming in many different forms. That’s the beauty of our God given differences.
Very well said Mike. I can agree with everything you stated. Perhaps my love of all things moto made me a bit defensive when replying previously, as I did not in anyway mean to belittle other sport's athletes, I just thought it was absurd to say that the top moto guys are not "natural athletes"
tprice07
10/20/2017 5:54am
MCR Boss wrote:
We spent considerable time and effort meeting with big James and Malcolm after Vegas in May. Malcolm spent a ton of his own money last year...
We spent considerable time and effort meeting with big James and Malcolm after Vegas in May. Malcolm spent a ton of his own money last year and in his own words his bike was not so good. So with that said he seemed really interested in putting a deal together. After a month and half going by and no returned calls from Malcolm we simply asked via text if we should take him off our list and he responded yes.

The irony of it all is that just a week ago we got a call from big James asking if we still had an opening for Malcolm as the deal they were trying put together on their own fell through. Of course we have our team set for the upcoming year so we had to respectfully deny him.
That’s too bad, I guess that explains why they are in the situation they are. If I had to speculate his deal probably hinges on James. Malcolm could have been a great addition to your team!

Also, Brayton is from my home town and happy to see him on a Honda. Thanks for being a part of the sport!
LoudLove
10/20/2017 7:18am
"Steven Curry is not the kind of personality that would or could throw it side ways at 100 plus at the Sacramento mile". The flip side of that coin is: Steph Curry has exactly the type of personality it takes to succeed in motorsports. Curry's physical dimensions compared to his competitors put him at a disadvantage. However, he dominates the NBA in sheer will to win and relentless pursuit of perfection. He is basketball's Ricky Carmichael: on paper, it shouldn't work. But in reality, it works very, very well.

There's nothing "natural" about riding a motorcycle, so athletes hone skills that are conducive to accomplishing that task. However, riders must have a certain level of dexterity and balance to succeed at the highest level, so there is a "natural" component to racing. But again, the collective talent pool in MX is very, very shallow, so we seldom see athletes of the highest caliber on the starting gate. Yes, Tomac and Dungey are outstanding physical specimens, but we have also seen guys you wouldn't pick for a game of dodgeball dominate as well (back to RC). In motorsports, the throttle is the great equalizer, and can overcome physical disadvantages. But that same throttle does not twist itself, so there is a mental element to racing that can overshadow pure physical talent.

Well, crap. I just defeated my own argument, as willpower and tenacity are "natural" athletic talents. Dammit.
TymeMoto
10/20/2017 7:46am
Mike--HUGE fan, just wanted to thank you for everything you've done for the sport and I couldn't be happier that Honda chose MotoConcepts to be their only 450 satellite team.

Mike Alessi was my favorite rider growing up so I've been following your team since you guys were running black plastics on Suzuki's and called them MCR 450's.

Best of luck this season. You and Tony run a top notch program. There is going to be a lot of red bikes in the top 10 this year!

The Shop

colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
10/20/2017 10:21am
LoudLove wrote:
"Steven Curry is not the kind of personality that would or could throw it side ways at 100 plus at the Sacramento mile". The flip side...
"Steven Curry is not the kind of personality that would or could throw it side ways at 100 plus at the Sacramento mile". The flip side of that coin is: Steph Curry has exactly the type of personality it takes to succeed in motorsports. Curry's physical dimensions compared to his competitors put him at a disadvantage. However, he dominates the NBA in sheer will to win and relentless pursuit of perfection. He is basketball's Ricky Carmichael: on paper, it shouldn't work. But in reality, it works very, very well.

There's nothing "natural" about riding a motorcycle, so athletes hone skills that are conducive to accomplishing that task. However, riders must have a certain level of dexterity and balance to succeed at the highest level, so there is a "natural" component to racing. But again, the collective talent pool in MX is very, very shallow, so we seldom see athletes of the highest caliber on the starting gate. Yes, Tomac and Dungey are outstanding physical specimens, but we have also seen guys you wouldn't pick for a game of dodgeball dominate as well (back to RC). In motorsports, the throttle is the great equalizer, and can overcome physical disadvantages. But that same throttle does not twist itself, so there is a mental element to racing that can overshadow pure physical talent.

Well, crap. I just defeated my own argument, as willpower and tenacity are "natural" athletic talents. Dammit.
If you want to gobble steph currys dick that's fine, but do it somewhere else. This is a QnA with mike, not your platform to start a baseless arguement.

For what it's worth, I agree with Mike. Different kind of atheletes. Michael Vick would get destroyed in any extreme sport, just the same as Villopoto would get destroyed in a stick and ball sport.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
10/20/2017 10:24am
BobbyM wrote:
Mike... Go hire Reed for the season. He still has some left in the tank.
MCR Boss wrote:
Funny you say that Bobby. We reached out to Chad early this summer and he was very interested in trying to put something together. He was...
Funny you say that Bobby. We reached out to Chad early this summer and he was very interested in trying to put something together. He was adamant that he was still able to win a championship on the right bike and program.

The sticking point for us coming together was he was insistent that he had to have a works bike from Honda. So with that said we reached out to Honda to see if they had any desire to help us make this happen. Their answer was they had no budget left to spend so we would have pay them for a works bike program at the tune of 350,000 to 500,000.
Of course this number combined with Chads salary desires and more put the concept very much out of reach for us. We tried very convince Chad that our bike with Honda’s support would be very strong and he could have success.

Unfortunately or fortunately we weren’t able to make things happen with Chad and we moved on. I want to very much stress that Chad was very much a professional, extremely respectful of our time, offer, team and interest in him.
Can you elaborate on the difference between a full works Honda and the support Honda is currently giving yall? After you switched to the new Hondas and it was announced Honda was stepping up, I assumed your team was more like the rocky Mountain KTM team, obviously that's incorrect.
MCR Boss
10/20/2017 11:03am
shuggs wrote:
Mike What was it like when you decided not to go with MA800 in your team, despite the controversy over the years he has got you...
Mike

What was it like when you decided not to go with MA800 in your team, despite the controversy over the years he has got you some good publicity - and never mind TV time with holeshots!!
Mike Alessi is like a second son to me who I love and respect as a man and a racer.
I told Mike three years ago that he would have a ride at MCR as long as he wanted. Of course how much money he would make would be based on how competitive he was. So Mike not racing SX this year was his decision.

It will definitely be different not having him at the races because is such a personality in so many ways but everything has its time.

In terms of the so called controversy over the years, I guess when you hit the podium in your third pro race as a 130 pound 16 year old in the 450 class combined with racing both series non stop for like 13 years straight equaling a zillion races and many great performances that all of us fans loved to watch, combined with FIVE vice championships, there’s bound to be some BS associated with it.

Mike has poured his heart and soul into racing. His tenure has been longer and his career record is better than many of the top riders he has raced against. So my opinion is that SX/MX pro racing has benefited greatly from Mike and his family in terms of their popularity, abilities, publicity and more. Just the name Allessi stirs emotion for people, good or bad. I’m concerned that things may become even more stale and vanilla with our sport then it already is when their not there. I mean seriously, who is Matthes gonna focus on and pick on if Mike, Tony, Genova and MCR is not at his disdposal? Smile )
TymeMoto
10/20/2017 11:12am
I posted in here earlier before getting a chance to really read much of what had been written and I can't help but come always very impressed. The transparency, professionalism and detail in Mike's responses have been first class. I also agree about Alessi not getting the respect he deserves. In 10 years Mike Alessi will be viewed as one of the best racers of his era and the best starter this sport has ever seen. But that's a whole different conversation.
Old-Man
10/20/2017 11:27am
MCR Boss wrote:
We are in the process of developing what you are wanting. The challenge is how do you hide a cover that’s bigger than the hot tub...
We are in the process of developing what you are wanting. The challenge is how do you hide a cover that’s bigger than the hot tub is tall? Good news is we are on it.
Old-Man wrote:
Glad you like the idea, I have a solution that will take care of this issue.
P.M me an email
MCR Boss wrote:
Sounds great send me your thoughts on info@smartopcover.com and I will take a look at it. I’m assuming that your ideas must involve a three piece...
Sounds great send me your thoughts on info@smartopcover.com and I will take a look at it.
I’m assuming that your ideas must involve a three piece cover of some kind.
Sent.
"I’m assuming that your ideas must involve a three piece cover of some kind"
Little different than that, thought about that but the more I looked into it, it wouldn't work.

This idea will make sense when you get my email.Wink

Regards
Bill
shuggs
10/20/2017 11:38am
MCR Boss wrote:
Mike Alessi is like a second son to me who I love and respect as a man and a racer. I told Mike three years ago...
Mike Alessi is like a second son to me who I love and respect as a man and a racer.
I told Mike three years ago that he would have a ride at MCR as long as he wanted. Of course how much money he would make would be based on how competitive he was. So Mike not racing SX this year was his decision.

It will definitely be different not having him at the races because is such a personality in so many ways but everything has its time.

In terms of the so called controversy over the years, I guess when you hit the podium in your third pro race as a 130 pound 16 year old in the 450 class combined with racing both series non stop for like 13 years straight equaling a zillion races and many great performances that all of us fans loved to watch, combined with FIVE vice championships, there’s bound to be some BS associated with it.

Mike has poured his heart and soul into racing. His tenure has been longer and his career record is better than many of the top riders he has raced against. So my opinion is that SX/MX pro racing has benefited greatly from Mike and his family in terms of their popularity, abilities, publicity and more. Just the name Allessi stirs emotion for people, good or bad. I’m concerned that things may become even more stale and vanilla with our sport then it already is when their not there. I mean seriously, who is Matthes gonna focus on and pick on if Mike, Tony, Genova and MCR is not at his disdposal? Smile )
Thanks for this but remember CP377 is still going around yetWink
tek14
10/20/2017 1:01pm
Didn't know much about Mike Genova before as much of stuff was previous too much behind Alessi drama team.
After reading 3 pages I think sport is way better with you guys around.
Stewarts and Reed.. you doing something right when those guys want to have talk.
Good luck and remember to call Mookie if spot opens Smile
500guy
10/20/2017 2:43pm
Mike , excellent replies and very candid.

From the outside looking in it always seems to Me the Sport in General really loves to take an "Outsider" like you and use him up and spit him out.

After spending tons of your own money did you ever stop and think WTF am I doing ? it must be hard to balance trying to be what you want as a Team and fitting into a "cool guy" culture.

What else do you like to do besides spend tons of money on dirt bikes?
twotwosix
10/20/2017 2:44pm
Do you have a desire to win a 450 Supercross Championship? Will you make a push to sign a Championship contender or are you just not able (willing may be better here) to waste that kind of money to chase a title?

PS, I have always admired how you treat and care for your riders. Your treatment of McAdoo was very classy.
TymeMoto
10/20/2017 3:34pm

Looking like MotoConcepts Honda is going to have some of the best looking bikes in the pits again this year
aeffertz
10/20/2017 5:12pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2017 5:13pm
Great QnA, Mike! Really enjoying your answers and thoughts. The Mookie situation had to have been frustrating! I'm really glad the sport has someone like you and that you continue to field a team of riders. Fantastic!

One quick question from me. I've just always been curious... From a team owner standpoint, would you rather have one of your guys make it into the night show straight through a heat/semi but at the tail end of the qualifying group or in an LCQ win? I know the rider ideally would want to make it straight into the main from his first heat but I'd like to think someone in your position might enjoy the extra TV time, even if it is a LCQ?

Is there a monetary incentive in any of the qualifying races (heats/semis/LCQs) or is it solely on the main event finish? Holeshot bonuses? You don't need to give out specifics of your contract or anything like that, but maybe some things you've heard other teams or maybe even something you do offer.

Thanks for taking the time to read through and answer our dumb questions! Best of luck.
oshow
10/20/2017 7:40pm
MCR Boss wrote:
The money comes primarily out of my own pocket. While we advertise our brands MotoConcepts and Smartop the dollars are from money my company earns on...
The money comes primarily out of my own pocket. While we advertise our brands MotoConcepts and Smartop the dollars are from money my company earns on an annual basis. Hopefully we are getter ng some ROI on our effort but you really never know.

The whole bike homogulation rule and so on is a gigantic discussion that I’m not that passionate about because in my mind all the riders are running by the same rules so it’s a fairly even playing field. Don’t get me wrong, the good guys have the best stuff and it does make a diffence against another good guy but the lower tier guys that aren’t making night shows wouldn’t improve much even on the high level stuff. It’s not arrow it’s the Indian.

I do think the tracks are a little over the top in SX and are hurting to many guys and also making the racing less competitive. Something most people probably don’t know is that in the past the top top guys had a lot of say on how the track was that day. I. E. If a so called rider who was very influential and was very strong in the whooops wanted the them super tough and narly then that guy from another country down under would get them his way, which is really hard on the normal whoop rider.
oshow wrote:
All I can say to this is most likely the exact same thing Chad would say.... Get better in the whoops..
MCR Boss wrote:
Sounds great for Chad but there are parts of the track where other riders are better him. So do they get to set up parts of...
Sounds great for Chad but there are parts of the track where other riders are better him. So do they get to set up parts of the track that suits them for the better?
Good point Mike. And I image certain riders do get to influence that...or maybe I should say past riders would have been able to.
oshow
10/20/2017 7:45pm
shuggs wrote:
Mike What was it like when you decided not to go with MA800 in your team, despite the controversy over the years he has got you...
Mike

What was it like when you decided not to go with MA800 in your team, despite the controversy over the years he has got you some good publicity - and never mind TV time with holeshots!!
MCR Boss wrote:
Mike Alessi is like a second son to me who I love and respect as a man and a racer. I told Mike three years ago...

Thank you for sponsoring Mike! This sport needs them and you in it!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/21/2017 1:49am Edited Date/Time 10/21/2017 1:50am
Hey Mike,

How would you describe your experience in Canada? A part from the whole Friese/Benoit fiasco in Quebec how was it?

Would you be open to coming back up to compete in the series?

Thanks.
MCR Boss
10/21/2017 12:39pm
500guy wrote:
Mike , excellent replies and very candid. From the outside looking in it always seems to Me the Sport in General really loves to take an...
Mike , excellent replies and very candid.

From the outside looking in it always seems to Me the Sport in General really loves to take an "Outsider" like you and use him up and spit him out.

After spending tons of your own money did you ever stop and think WTF am I doing ? it must be hard to balance trying to be what you want as a Team and fitting into a "cool guy" culture.

What else do you like to do besides spend tons of money on dirt bikes?
I don’t think the sport wants to use people up and spit them out.

The reality is there is no way for any team to make money in its current form. The motorcycle manufacturers have their teams that they are willing to spend money on to promote and generate sales. Teams like mine are spending more than they take in and that just doesn’t work forever, so guys that have plenty of money to continue simply say the heck with this I’m out. I’m just a little dumber than some. One area I differ from other owners like Carey Hart is I actually have a company that makes money and uses racing as an expense and a benefit to the bottom line.

And yes I often times ask myself WTF am I doing spending this kind of money? One thing I’m not trying to do is spend my way into the cool guy club, cuz quite honestly I think that many of them should call me for some ideas on how to do things.

I very much have a life outside of racing that includes charity, travel, and R&R at one of my homes.
MCR Boss
10/21/2017 1:05pm
aeffertz wrote:
Great QnA, Mike! Really enjoying your answers and thoughts. The Mookie situation had to have been frustrating! I'm really glad the sport has someone like you...
Great QnA, Mike! Really enjoying your answers and thoughts. The Mookie situation had to have been frustrating! I'm really glad the sport has someone like you and that you continue to field a team of riders. Fantastic!

One quick question from me. I've just always been curious... From a team owner standpoint, would you rather have one of your guys make it into the night show straight through a heat/semi but at the tail end of the qualifying group or in an LCQ win? I know the rider ideally would want to make it straight into the main from his first heat but I'd like to think someone in your position might enjoy the extra TV time, even if it is a LCQ?

Is there a monetary incentive in any of the qualifying races (heats/semis/LCQs) or is it solely on the main event finish? Holeshot bonuses? You don't need to give out specifics of your contract or anything like that, but maybe some things you've heard other teams or maybe even something you do offer.

Thanks for taking the time to read through and answer our dumb questions! Best of luck.
Actually I think your question is really good.
Of course the riders and the management want to go straight from the heat to the main because of better gate selection and reduced energy used. However, if we have two guys in the same heat race and it’s looking like both of them aren’t going to transfer and they are going to the semi, we will direct them via pit board to drop back a spot or move forward a spot so that they aren’t ending up in the same semi. The reasoning is, we don’t want our guys competing against each other if we can help it. We also like as much tv time as we can get, hence why we look for good starters and we put a lot of focus on starts, cuz let’s face it not getting a good start and being seventh place in the main won’t get you that much tv time. Of course in my opinion that is one of problems with our sport.

Yes we incentivise our guys to win heats, semis, LCQ and of course mains. We pay up to $1000 for holeshots and each race during the night is eligible for holeshot bonus. I also will randomly radio down and double the holeshot bonus and put bonus dollars to the mechanic of $500. We also will have random race day bonuses for our beating a specific team or rider, but I won’t share those details.

I’m not sure if other teams do much of this but I believe in it and it is very common in stick and ball sports such as QBs getting paid on stats.
MCR Boss
10/21/2017 1:23pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Hey Mike, How would you describe your experience in Canada? A part from the whole Friese/Benoit fiasco in Quebec how was it? Would you be open...
Hey Mike,

How would you describe your experience in Canada? A part from the whole Friese/Benoit fiasco in Quebec how was it?

Thanks.
Our experience in Canada was great. The racing was fun and the cities that I traveled to were great also. Quebec was cool as we stayed right downtown and celebrated one of our guys birthday til the wee hours.

Kind of a bummer for us that Mike didn’t win it that year. No disrespect to Colton as I think he’s a great racer and nice kid, but Mike was just faster that year as evidenced by the amount of laps led combined with moto wins. If your ember Mike ran out of gas leading by a mile with a quarter of a lap to go. In another weird one, his grip came off leading and he had to ride for twenty minutes gripping a raw metal bar. There were other mishaps that cost him some points that weren’t his fault but o wheel that’s racing.

And yes we would absolutely come back up as the people were great, excluding the boulder hucking dummies in Quebec and Benoit’s brother coming out of the trees and T boning Vince while he leading Kevan. No hard feelings but that shit isn’t cool for anybody.
10/21/2017 2:49pm
MCR Boss wrote:
I don’t think the sport wants to use people up and spit them out. The reality is there is no way for any team to make...
I don’t think the sport wants to use people up and spit them out.

The reality is there is no way for any team to make money in its current form. The motorcycle manufacturers have their teams that they are willing to spend money on to promote and generate sales. Teams like mine are spending more than they take in and that just doesn’t work forever, so guys that have plenty of money to continue simply say the heck with this I’m out. I’m just a little dumber than some. One area I differ from other owners like Carey Hart is I actually have a company that makes money and uses racing as an expense and a benefit to the bottom line.

And yes I often times ask myself WTF am I doing spending this kind of money? One thing I’m not trying to do is spend my way into the cool guy club, cuz quite honestly I think that many of them should call me for some ideas on how to do things.

I very much have a life outside of racing that includes charity, travel, and R&R at one of my homes.
Thank you sir for your contributions to the sport!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/21/2017 2:56pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Hey Mike, How would you describe your experience in Canada? A part from the whole Friese/Benoit fiasco in Quebec how was it? Would you be open...
Hey Mike,

Thanks.
MCR Boss wrote:
Our experience in Canada was great. The racing was fun and the cities that I traveled to were great also. Quebec was cool as we stayed...
Our experience in Canada was great. The racing was fun and the cities that I traveled to were great also. Quebec was cool as we stayed right downtown and celebrated one of our guys birthday til the wee hours.

Kind of a bummer for us that Mike didn’t win it that year. No disrespect to Colton as I think he’s a great racer and nice kid, but Mike was just faster that year as evidenced by the amount of laps led combined with moto wins. If your ember Mike ran out of gas leading by a mile with a quarter of a lap to go. In another weird one, his grip came off leading and he had to ride for twenty minutes gripping a raw metal bar. There were other mishaps that cost him some points that weren’t his fault but o wheel that’s racing.

And yes we would absolutely come back up as the people were great, excluding the boulder hucking dummies in Quebec and Benoit’s brother coming out of the trees and T boning Vince while he leading Kevan. No hard feelings but that shit isn’t cool for anybody.
Thanks for answering my question. I also agree that it's not fun for anyone when people start acting childish on and off the track.

With the CMRC being close to being sold to the Jetwerx group there's really no telling where things in Canada will go moving forward but they do have have quite a few things I like about their plans. Keep an eye on things as they might interest you. I think they are releasing the details in the next couple of weeks. One of the downside is I believe they want do go down to an 8 round series which in my opinion is a little short for a series. 10 rounds is OK but ideally it would be great for them to go to a 12 round series.

As for Mike it sure looks like he really enjoyed his time as he's been coming back ever since.

Good luck to you and your team this upcoming SX season.
10/22/2017 9:30am
Mike,
Thanks for doing this, If you could take over for Feld for a year what would you change and why? Same thing taking over for DC?
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/22/2017 10:12pm
Thanks for doing this one, Mike. If people are paying attention, there's a lot to unpack here.

See you at A1.

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Mike Genova

The Latest