Vital MX Forum QNA: Mike Alessi

4/13/2016 8:18am
Hi Mike, thanks for a great career, very entertaining, your determination and love of mx shines through, as with all your real fans I think we...
Hi Mike,
thanks for a great career, very entertaining, your determination and love of mx shines through, as with all your real fans I think we deserve the chance to purchase a " Believe the hype" tee shirt,
Like most I would pay good money for it.
A great price of memenorabillia.

Thanks again. Your #1 Fan.
I have 1 shirt left of that. lol its in my closet in California.
4/13/2016 8:21am
haha thats pretty funny. The good ol' mini days. I feel a lot of racers go through feeling burnout in their careers. About 2 years ago...
haha thats pretty funny. The good ol' mini days.

I feel a lot of racers go through feeling burnout in their careers. About 2 years ago I was that guy. Got in a weird funk and couldn't shake it. Thought about calling it a career. I feel what helped me was I don't want to have any "what ifs" when I am done. I felt like I would have if I would have quit. Changed things up in my program and it seemed to help. We put our bodies through a lot to stay fit and healthy. A lot of sacrifice goes into it.

I appreciate you the fans and I want to show my gratitude the best way I can and I feel the best way is to stay humble and be kind.
Sully wrote:
Hey Mike, I don't think you're doing enough to perpetuate the "home schooled motocrosser" stereotype that a lot of the guys on this site seem to...
Hey Mike, I don't think you're doing enough to perpetuate the "home schooled motocrosser" stereotype that a lot of the guys on this site seem to have. Can you work on misspelling some words, and maybe throw in a random "I seen..." every now and then?

In all seriousness, thanks for doing this, it really is appreciated. And I can say you've scored at least one new fan (me) for the effort.

Oh, and buy your mother a lawnmower.
haha its not me its my computer… spell check…. hahahaha! Makes me look good.
No problem. I like the chance to get to talk to my fans.

She has used this forum to turn you all against me and buy her that damn law mower...
4/13/2016 8:25am
Spydee wrote:
Mike, if motocross wasn't your forte which other sport would you have envisaged yourself succeeding in? Would you rather have robotic arms or legs? Oh and...
Mike, if motocross wasn't your forte which other sport would you have envisaged yourself succeeding in?
Would you rather have robotic arms or legs?
Oh and what did you think of Apex MX track when you rode it over in Worcester (England) last year? Did they give you the track to yourself or did they make you pay the £500 hire fee? Haha!
You've always been a cool dude in my books regardless of what people say. Just remember you have fans across the pond too man.
Take care and all the best.
Motocross is what I have known my entire life. I started riding when I was 3 and racing when I was 4.I suck at golf, and basketball. I can play a mean game of t-ball… and air hockey. Thats about it though lol.
I liked the Apex track. It was really close to my buddy Brad Turner's house.
Thanks for the support. I had a great time in England last year. I will probably be back.
4/13/2016 8:33am
Hi Mike Firstly we all know that being a professional rider is tough beyond what we can ever imagine and to be in the sport as...
Hi Mike

Firstly we all know that being a professional rider is tough beyond what we can ever imagine and to be in the sport as long as you have means you are doing something right :-). All professional athletes who are in the limelight are criticised on a daily basis and i guess that's just something you guys have to deal with, my question is how do you deal with this and does it motivate you to prove people wrong? or do you set your own goals and not worry about what others say, as let's be honest it is easy to sit there and criticise but they are not the ones doing it everyday.

When things like this exist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg_Lz6MVYxc does it bother you at all ?

Thanks for taking the time to read this
I believe every professional athlete or person who lives life in the limelight gets talked bad on on a daily basis. It comes with being famous. People will always have their own opinions of you and what "they think" you are really like. I find that to be ok because the people who actually know me know what kind of person I really am. keyboard warriors of the world will always have something negative to say… I wouldn't say it motivates me or gives me a prove them wrong attitude. I have set my goals and as long as I can get up every morning, look myself in the mirror, have my faith, and be happy with who I am thats all that matters to me…

Thanks for the question.

The Shop

4/13/2016 8:37am
Hey Mike

Would you say that the Gopher dunes in Tillisinburg Ontario Canada is the gnarliest sand track you have ever ridden!?
Gopher Dunes is a really good track. Is it the gnarliest sand track I have ever been on… no. There is a sand track in Italy I went to with Cairoli…. That was the craziest sand track I have ever been to. I still have nightmares about that track. I see why GP racers are so good in the sand.
4/13/2016 9:27am
Hey Mike! I've followed your career since seeing you on 50's in some of the old moto mags. I was just wondering if your had a running total on how many main event and motocross holeshots you have gotten? I figured it has probably padded your wallet nicely over the years. Keep on putting in the work. It's cool to see you out there.
4/13/2016 10:36am
haha thats pretty funny. The good ol' mini days. I feel a lot of racers go through feeling burnout in their careers. About 2 years ago...

I feel a lot of racers go through feeling burnout in their careers. About 2 years ago I was that guy. Got in a weird funk and couldn't shake it. Thought about calling it a career. I feel what helped me was I don't want to have any "what ifs" when I am done. I felt like I would have if I would have quit. Changed things up in my program and it seemed to help. We put our bodies through a lot to stay fit and healthy. A lot of sacrifice goes into it.

I appreciate you the fans and I want to show my gratitude the best way I can and I feel the best way is to stay humble and be kind.
Sully wrote:
Hey Mike, I don't think you're doing enough to perpetuate the "home schooled motocrosser" stereotype that a lot of the guys on this site seem to...
Hey Mike, I don't think you're doing enough to perpetuate the "home schooled motocrosser" stereotype that a lot of the guys on this site seem to have. Can you work on misspelling some words, and maybe throw in a random "I seen..." every now and then?

In all seriousness, thanks for doing this, it really is appreciated. And I can say you've scored at least one new fan (me) for the effort.

haha its not me its my computer… spell check…. hahahaha! Makes me look good. No problem. I like the chance to get to talk to my...

She has used this forum to turn you all against me and buy her that damn law mower...
So is that a yes?

4/13/2016 10:38am

Sully wrote:

haha its not me its my computer… spell check…. hahahaha! Makes me look good. No problem. I like the chance to get to talk to my...

This is like Facebook but only BETTER
h&m_cycle
4/13/2016 11:05am
Seems to me you could of been a gun fighter in the Old West with those reflexes... I never paid attention when you
signed autographs... Are you Left Handed? It seems like a clutch feel advantage I don't know...

Thanks for coming on... You've always been fast at High Point, I was hoping to see you there...

Good Luck In Canada...
jasonv43
4/13/2016 11:14am
Ok I'll ask the tough questions that nobody wants to address.

1.) Since you live near Jacksonville. Do you go to the Jaguar games and are you a fan of Blake Bortles and this new look offense they have? I may be biased towards him since I graduated from the same college he did.Smile

2.) You are currently wearing a Shoei correct? I know you have taken some tough hits over the years. What are your thoughts on helmets these days. Do you like the direction we are going with the newer tecnology?

3.) This is the big one. 2005 - Glen Helen - Moto 2. Care to talk about it?

I just want to say that although I have not always been the biggest fan. I have slowly come around over the years and respect what you do. It seems that you put in the hard work and effort and like you have said it's got to be tough to be in the spotlight all the time. I don't think I would handle it well but you seem to have really turned a corner over the last few years. Keep up the good work and I wish you nothing but the best in the years to come.

I will leave you with this.

bc67
4/13/2016 12:43pm
mike thanks for taking time out to answer these questions

when you done the gp in 05 in ireland was the bike the same spec as your us bike?
also did you notice a big change in the gps after so long in-between doing them 05-15
what was your favourite bike that you have rode in you career ?
thanks
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/13/2016 1:18pm
Have you watched the video of you ar Redbud yet?
1-forty-8
4/13/2016 1:26pm
Hey Mike, thanks for doing this man.

I saw you ride Hawkstone Park, many years ago, you were leading the first 250 race when your bike quit on you just before the hill.. You were hauling ass up to that point! What did you make of Hawkstone and the general vibe of British MX? Have you ever thought of going somewhere further away to base yourself? I always thought you would kill it in Australia. Seems like a good scene there, and the weather would be awesome!
flymoto
4/13/2016 2:07pm
Mike thanks for taking the time to speak to us fans.

I met you last year at matterley basin GP, thanks for stopping and having time! Overall how did you find the GP experience? Do you wish you had come over and done a few seasons earlier in your career? What would you say is the hardest thing to adapt to when racing the GP's?

4/13/2016 3:21pm
Hey Mike! I've followed your career since seeing you on 50's in some of the old moto mags. I was just wondering if your had a...
Hey Mike! I've followed your career since seeing you on 50's in some of the old moto mags. I was just wondering if your had a running total on how many main event and motocross holeshots you have gotten? I figured it has probably padded your wallet nicely over the years. Keep on putting in the work. It's cool to see you out there.
Wow. That is a good question. I honestly don't have an answer for that one.
4/13/2016 3:24pm
h&m_cycle wrote:
Seems to me you could of been a gun fighter in the Old West with those reflexes... I never paid attention when you signed autographs... Are...
Seems to me you could of been a gun fighter in the Old West with those reflexes... I never paid attention when you
signed autographs... Are you Left Handed? It seems like a clutch feel advantage I don't know...

Thanks for coming on... You've always been fast at High Point, I was hoping to see you there...

Good Luck In Canada...
I've always had good reflexes. Im not left handed just quick reaction time.

I really like High Point. I won't be there this year though.
4/13/2016 3:31pm
jasonv43 wrote:
Ok I'll ask the tough questions that nobody wants to address. 1.) Since you live near Jacksonville. Do you go to the Jaguar games and are...
Ok I'll ask the tough questions that nobody wants to address.

1.) Since you live near Jacksonville. Do you go to the Jaguar games and are you a fan of Blake Bortles and this new look offense they have? I may be biased towards him since I graduated from the same college he did.Smile

2.) You are currently wearing a Shoei correct? I know you have taken some tough hits over the years. What are your thoughts on helmets these days. Do you like the direction we are going with the newer tecnology?

3.) This is the big one. 2005 - Glen Helen - Moto 2. Care to talk about it?

I just want to say that although I have not always been the biggest fan. I have slowly come around over the years and respect what you do. It seems that you put in the hard work and effort and like you have said it's got to be tough to be in the spotlight all the time. I don't think I would handle it well but you seem to have really turned a corner over the last few years. Keep up the good work and I wish you nothing but the best in the years to come.

I will leave you with this.

Jaguars are my favorite football team. Even though they don't really have a win record I still support the home team. I'm hoping for a better season this year. I go to a few games when I have the time.

I really like the Shoei helmet. I believe it is the best helmet out there. I have taken a few hits to the head over the years and the Shoei is the one I feel has protected me the best out of all of them. I know a lot of the other helmet brands are developing better helmets. I haven't tried any others since 2012.

Not sure what moto you are talking about… lol…
All of us have been young and dumb at one point in our lives right?

Thanks for your support. I'll leave you with this… don't always believe what other people have to say about others…

Awesome photos. Those are some of my favorites.
4/13/2016 3:35pm
bc67 wrote:
mike thanks for taking time out to answer these questions when you done the gp in 05 in ireland was the bike the same spec as...

when you done the gp in 05 in ireland was the bike the same spec as your us bike?
also did you notice a big change in the gps after so long in-between doing them 05-15
thanks
The bike I rode in Ireland was not the same spec bike as the one I raced on in America. The rules are different in both countries.
I would say the biggest thing I noticed was how much the series has grown in 10 years.
My favorite bike is the bike I am on now. My Smartop MotoConcepts bike.
4/13/2016 3:39pm
UpTiTe wrote:
Yes I have watched the Red Bud crash. Pretty bad.
4/13/2016 3:48pm
1-forty-8 wrote:
Hey Mike, thanks for doing this man. I saw you ride Hawkstone Park, many years ago, you were leading the first 250 race when your bike...
Hey Mike, thanks for doing this man.

I saw you ride Hawkstone Park, many years ago, you were leading the first 250 race when your bike quit on you just before the hill.. You were hauling ass up to that point! What did you make of Hawkstone and the general vibe of British MX? Have you ever thought of going somewhere further away to base yourself? I always thought you would kill it in Australia. Seems like a good scene there, and the weather would be awesome!
Ya I was really bummed when my bike locked up that day. I really liked Hawkstone. I had a great time while I was there. I have raced in a lot of different places and it has been a lot of fun.
4/13/2016 3:54pm
flymoto wrote:
Mike thanks for taking the time to speak to us fans. I met you last year at matterley basin GP, thanks for stopping and having time...
Mike thanks for taking the time to speak to us fans.

I met you last year at matterley basin GP, thanks for stopping and having time! Overall how did you find the GP experience? Do you wish you had come over and done a few seasons earlier in your career? What would you say is the hardest thing to adapt to when racing the GP's?

I really liked the track at Matterley Basin. I felt the track was a lot like some of the American tracks we have. The GPs are a great series. If I get the chance I could see myself doing a few more races over there. Maybe the entire series.
I believe the hardest thing to adapt to is the language barriers. Every race is in a different country with a different language. I know a lot of countries have adapted to the universal English language but I'd have to say out of all of it that would be the hardest.
NotCore
4/13/2016 4:59pm
Mike wins the Vital QNA sweepstakes. Most direct, consistent and complete answers to questions ever. Very impressed.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/13/2016 5:06pm

4/13/2016 5:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2016 5:27pm
Mike,

How have you and your Brother dealt with different levels of success? it's just something i see in my own sons, and how each of them deals with the other doing certain things better than the other.

Please let me reiterate that i see it both ways, with different sports, but you have had the limelight a little more in MX so i would just like to know how you deal with it. So in years to come i can have some solid advice (not that i would ever let slip who told me)

pp.s why have you always worn the tinted orange goggles.

4/13/2016 5:36pm
bc67 wrote:
mike thanks for taking time out to answer these questions when you done the gp in 05 in ireland was the bike the same spec as...

thanks
great question
4/13/2016 5:38pm
NotCore wrote:
Mike wins the Vital QNA sweepstakes. Most direct, consistent and complete answers to questions ever. Very impressed.
haha thanks man. Just being who I am. Glad you are enjoying it
4/13/2016 5:50pm
Mike, How have you and your Brother dealt with different levels of success? it's just something i see in my own sons, and how each of...
Mike,

How have you and your Brother dealt with different levels of success? it's just something i see in my own sons, and how each of them deals with the other doing certain things better than the other.

Please let me reiterate that i see it both ways, with different sports, but you have had the limelight a little more in MX so i would just like to know how you deal with it. So in years to come i can have some solid advice (not that i would ever let slip who told me)

pp.s why have you always worn the tinted orange goggles.

Hey Travis,

I'm going to try to answer this the best I can. I don't know if it will make sense but I hope I can give a little advice.

I feel everyone handles life in their own way. I know I am a very competitive person as I believe my brother is. As kids we always were very competitive with each other. Jeff has a lot of natural talent and I feel I have a better work ethic. We both had success and we both had failures. I believe being encouraging to each other when we were young kept us close. I know there were times we shoved certain things in each others faces as a lot of siblings do.

When you live your life in the "limelight" it takes a certain balance to handle it. I'm not going to lie, there have been times I have gone on here or other social media sites and things people have said have really bothered me… Some things stuck with me for days. I finally learned that it doesn't matter what people I have never met or maybe met a few times have to say about me. I know who I am as a person and I try to be the best person I can be every day. I try to stay humble and let people see me as a person and not a famous superstar that a lot may think I am.

I think the best thing you can do for your sons is to always encourage them and let them know how proud you are of them, even if they don't win a race or get the holeshot lol. Make sure they know you will always support them and be there for them. If one seems to progress more then the other try to balance the "great jobs" between them. Don't give one more attention because he does better or is more talented,

I don't know if this will make any sense to you or will help but I feel its the best answer I can give.

P.S. I wear the tinted goggles because I am very sensitive to light
NorcalVet
4/13/2016 5:58pm
Now I need to ask the wife/ cfo a for riding mower
- because it takes away from my garage time & bike prep Cool
kiwifan
4/13/2016 6:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2016 6:23pm
i really enjoy the 2-stroke. Its a lot of fun to ride.
Hi Mike, congrats on a stellar career, I look forward to seeing you race for another couple of years at the top.

A guy in here (Black Diamond) made a bitching CR250, you should hassle him about riding it in next years 2 stroke champs! :-)

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Mike Alessi

The Latest