Vital MX Forum QNA: Kris Keefer

hvaughn88
4/20/2017 1:24pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Keefer,
If you and TP broke up, what song would lock yourself in your room and listen to on repeat?
swing and a miss
Welcome back, how long you plan on making this one last?
Frank Ricard
4/20/2017 1:45pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Keefer,
If you and TP broke up, what song would lock yourself in your room and listen to on repeat?
swing and a miss
hvaughn88 wrote:
Welcome back, how long you plan on making this one last?
hopefully make it to the SLC race thread
F1prerun
4/20/2017 2:18pm
Having an ECU is really important once you have the right setting and fuel combo. I have a GET on my YZ450F and it is so...
Having an ECU is really important once you have the right setting and fuel combo.

I have a GET on my YZ450F and it is so easy to ride down low but broadens the mid-top end so much. It revs forever (even though I know I don't need to rev a 450).

There are sensors for the engineer to download the info once back at the truck, but it doesn't get adjusted in real time.

With stock ignitions they are mapped for sound and have safe engine parameter guidelines to follow. that way the customer can't blow up his bike and there are no warranty nightmares. With an aftermarket ECU I can control how much power I want and maybe get a little less reliability, but more performance. I have used just plug and play ECU's from GET and Vortex with pump fuel and have got great bottom end and over-rev gains without sacrificing much reliability. To me suspension, handlebars and a ECU is all I would take with me if I was going to race anywhere out of country.
Kris,

Which model GET ECU do you have on your yz450f?

Is the ECU with the GPA switch/LC led model worth the extra money or is the standard ECU good enough?

The Shop

smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
4/20/2017 6:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2017 6:33pm
cold calling keefer... love your insight in the rag and on pulp. also how you stay down to earth. no bro attitude. keep it up.
my ? is did you say the 15' yz250f would benefit from the engine mounts off a 17'? all of them or just a set? thx in advance. take care brother.

ps -I always put my grocery cart back in the rackWhistling
Kris Keefer
4/20/2017 6:34pm
Having an ECU is really important once you have the right setting and fuel combo. I have a GET on my YZ450F and it is so...
Having an ECU is really important once you have the right setting and fuel combo.

I have a GET on my YZ450F and it is so easy to ride down low but broadens the mid-top end so much. It revs forever (even though I know I don't need to rev a 450).

There are sensors for the engineer to download the info once back at the truck, but it doesn't get adjusted in real time.

With stock ignitions they are mapped for sound and have safe engine parameter guidelines to follow. that way the customer can't blow up his bike and there are no warranty nightmares. With an aftermarket ECU I can control how much power I want and maybe get a little less reliability, but more performance. I have used just plug and play ECU's from GET and Vortex with pump fuel and have got great bottom end and over-rev gains without sacrificing much reliability. To me suspension, handlebars and a ECU is all I would take with me if I was going to race anywhere out of country.
F1prerun wrote:
Kris, Which model GET ECU do you have on your yz450f? Is the ECU with the GPA switch/LC led model worth the extra money or is...
Kris,

Which model GET ECU do you have on your yz450f?

Is the ECU with the GPA switch/LC led model worth the extra money or is the standard ECU good enough?
F1,

If you are racing and are fairly series the GET ECU with GPA and launch control is pretty cool! I can adjust my mapping on my phone, etc. However, if you just want to bolt on and go, the EVO without the GPA is just as good. I like to tinker a lot so I get all the trinkets to mess with! Smile Enjoy!
Kris Keefer
4/20/2017 8:59pm
cold calling keefer... love your insight in the rag and on pulp. also how you stay down to earth. no bro attitude. keep it up. my...
cold calling keefer... love your insight in the rag and on pulp. also how you stay down to earth. no bro attitude. keep it up.
my ? is did you say the 15' yz250f would benefit from the engine mounts off a 17'? all of them or just a set? thx in advance. take care brother.

ps -I always put my grocery cart back in the rackWhistling
Smoothie862,

Thanks for the kind words. I will continue to not have that "bro" BS, I promise! I will double check with TP but I am pretty sure all four engine hangers is what I tried. It's been so long since I did that test I will have to check again. It helped with cornering feel for me. Oh and thanks for racking your cart! Good man!
mark911
4/20/2017 11:40pm
mark911 wrote:
Mr. Keefer, Im aware that you've been involved with the development of the Alta Redshift. I just bought one to replace my YZF250 for racing the...
Mr. Keefer,
Im aware that you've been involved with the development of the Alta Redshift. I just bought one to replace my YZF250 for racing the 60+ vet class. I've only got a few hours on the bike and my only complaint is with the extra weight the forks seem to blow through the travel when landing which pitches the bike forward. I was wondering what your assessment of the forks is and your general thoughts on the bike for Vet racing? Also, I'm curious if you know if the bike Josh Hill rode at the straight rhythm used a stock battery pack or a lighter version developed just for 3 runs? No reason to run a stock pack as its the equivalent of racing a 10 minute Moto with a desert tank full of fuel!

Thanks in advance for your time.
Mark, Congrats on your purchase, the Redshift is a fun piece of machinery. I am currently working on helping develop new fork settings with ALTA and...
Mark,

Congrats on your purchase, the Redshift is a fun piece of machinery.

I am currently working on helping develop new fork settings with ALTA and they should be available soon I think? I also thought the fork was a little harsh for me because it rode low in the stroke. Stiffening only the compression made the harsh feeling worse. Best thing I could do was stiffen the fork and open up the rebound damping. This helps the fork move, but keep it up in its stroke a little more. For Vet racing I think it would be a great weapon on a smaller type of track. If it is too sandy or deep you might lose some time on gas powered machines. However, they are currently working on different battery packs and batteries that have more power/life. The battery is ever evolving and only going to get better.

I don't know which battery or if a modified battery was used in Hill's SR bike? Knowing the smart engineers at ALTA they probably came up with something that was lighter for him to use.

Have fun on the RS and hope to see you shredding it at the tracks soon!
Mr. Keefer,
Does Dirt Rider have a set recurring test schedule (day, time, track or location, etc)? I'm retired and think it would be cool to listen in and watch how the testing process plays out between various bikes and riders.

BTW, if Dirt Rider is ever in need of a Technical Editor/Writer I'm qualified, available and very affordable (free)!
TJMX947
4/21/2017 6:34am
Keefer - Lisa Loeb didn't perform "Stay." That was an artist by the name of Bic Runga from New Zealand I believe?

I know this because I grew up in the 90s and am still very obsessed with the 90s...to the point that I watch old Nationals on YouTube and drool over old Pro Circuit bikes on Vital . I've actually considered giving up my trusty CRF450R and KTM 350SXF for a 125/150 but my excessive girth curtails that wishful thought.

What is your take on the KTM 350SX-F? I bought a used 2016 and I can't decide between my 2014 CRF450R or the KTM. I hate jumping back forth between bikes but I just don't have as much fun riding the 450 anymore. Truth be told I would have never stopped riding 250Fs but that girth again...its a doozy. Thanks!

Also - If DR ever needs an East Coast editor I'm your guy. I live extremely close to Club MX and I can write. I would be honored to hang out there everyday and let you know how its going! Just a thought.
One-Hander
4/21/2017 6:39am
Kris,

I am thinking of pulling the plug on my wallet and getting a 2018 KTM150SX in two months. I don't want the headache of having to pay for a blown 250F engine again.

Have you had any time on the 2017 150SX and can you give me your thoughts on the bike and what it may need added/adjusted?

Thanks.
Kris Keefer
4/21/2017 8:11am
mark911 wrote:
Mr. Keefer, Im aware that you've been involved with the development of the Alta Redshift. I just bought one to replace my YZF250 for racing the...
Mr. Keefer,
Im aware that you've been involved with the development of the Alta Redshift. I just bought one to replace my YZF250 for racing the 60+ vet class. I've only got a few hours on the bike and my only complaint is with the extra weight the forks seem to blow through the travel when landing which pitches the bike forward. I was wondering what your assessment of the forks is and your general thoughts on the bike for Vet racing? Also, I'm curious if you know if the bike Josh Hill rode at the straight rhythm used a stock battery pack or a lighter version developed just for 3 runs? No reason to run a stock pack as its the equivalent of racing a 10 minute Moto with a desert tank full of fuel!

Thanks in advance for your time.
Mark, Congrats on your purchase, the Redshift is a fun piece of machinery. I am currently working on helping develop new fork settings with ALTA and...
Mark,

Congrats on your purchase, the Redshift is a fun piece of machinery.

I am currently working on helping develop new fork settings with ALTA and they should be available soon I think? I also thought the fork was a little harsh for me because it rode low in the stroke. Stiffening only the compression made the harsh feeling worse. Best thing I could do was stiffen the fork and open up the rebound damping. This helps the fork move, but keep it up in its stroke a little more. For Vet racing I think it would be a great weapon on a smaller type of track. If it is too sandy or deep you might lose some time on gas powered machines. However, they are currently working on different battery packs and batteries that have more power/life. The battery is ever evolving and only going to get better.

I don't know which battery or if a modified battery was used in Hill's SR bike? Knowing the smart engineers at ALTA they probably came up with something that was lighter for him to use.

Have fun on the RS and hope to see you shredding it at the tracks soon!
mark911 wrote:
Mr. Keefer, Does Dirt Rider have a set recurring test schedule (day, time, track or location, etc)? I'm retired and think it would be cool to...
Mr. Keefer,
Does Dirt Rider have a set recurring test schedule (day, time, track or location, etc)? I'm retired and think it would be cool to listen in and watch how the testing process plays out between various bikes and riders.

BTW, if Dirt Rider is ever in need of a Technical Editor/Writer I'm qualified, available and very affordable (free)!
No there is no set schedule with Dirt Rider testing. It depends on what is going in the magazine and what we have for testing. Every Sunday I try to set my schedule up for the week so I know exactly where I will be. We were throwing the idea around of a reader/subscriber contest that will let one winner come with us on the 2018 250 or 450 Shootout. That still could be a possibility.
Kris Keefer
4/21/2017 8:16am
TJMX947 wrote:
Keefer - Lisa Loeb didn't perform "Stay." That was an artist by the name of Bic Runga from New Zealand I believe? I know this because...
Keefer - Lisa Loeb didn't perform "Stay." That was an artist by the name of Bic Runga from New Zealand I believe?

I know this because I grew up in the 90s and am still very obsessed with the 90s...to the point that I watch old Nationals on YouTube and drool over old Pro Circuit bikes on Vital . I've actually considered giving up my trusty CRF450R and KTM 350SXF for a 125/150 but my excessive girth curtails that wishful thought.

What is your take on the KTM 350SX-F? I bought a used 2016 and I can't decide between my 2014 CRF450R or the KTM. I hate jumping back forth between bikes but I just don't have as much fun riding the 450 anymore. Truth be told I would have never stopped riding 250Fs but that girth again...its a doozy. Thanks!

Also - If DR ever needs an East Coast editor I'm your guy. I live extremely close to Club MX and I can write. I would be honored to hang out there everyday and let you know how its going! Just a thought.
Lisa Loeb did perform a song called "Stay" (I miss you). Look it up! Smile

I love riding the KTM 350 SX-F. It is one of the most fun bikes there is to ride. I mean the 16 350 SX-F is probably as fast as that 2014 Honda 450 you have realistically. When I go to a track like Milestone that is tight, hard packed and rutty the KTM 350 SX-F is one of the best bikes. The only reason I choose a 450 is because of the deep tilled soil at some tracks and getting over jumps from an inside line.

If we need an East Coast Editor, I am moving back east and riding with you!
Kris Keefer
4/21/2017 8:20am
One-Hander wrote:
Kris, I am thinking of pulling the plug on my wallet and getting a 2018 KTM150SX in two months. I don't want the headache of having...
Kris,

I am thinking of pulling the plug on my wallet and getting a 2018 KTM150SX in two months. I don't want the headache of having to pay for a blown 250F engine again.

Have you had any time on the 2017 150SX and can you give me your thoughts on the bike and what it may need added/adjusted?

Thanks.
I have ridden the 2016 KTM 150 SX, but not the 17 version. They are fun to ride, but will have to be ridden aggressively. I don't know how much you weigh or your skill level so that could come into play here. If I was going two-stroke I would rather have a 2017 KTM 250 SX. They are light and easy to ride and I am 170 pounds. If you do decide on going to the 150 they come with a leaner needle so you might want to try that needle with the clip being in the 3rd or 4th position. Let me know what you end up with! BRAAAAAP!
One-Hander
4/21/2017 10:01am
One-Hander wrote:
Kris, I am thinking of pulling the plug on my wallet and getting a 2018 KTM150SX in two months. I don't want the headache of having...
Kris,

Thanks.
I have ridden the 2016 KTM 150 SX, but not the 17 version. They are fun to ride, but will have to be ridden aggressively. I...
I have ridden the 2016 KTM 150 SX, but not the 17 version. They are fun to ride, but will have to be ridden aggressively. I don't know how much you weigh or your skill level so that could come into play here. If I was going two-stroke I would rather have a 2017 KTM 250 SX. They are light and easy to ride and I am 170 pounds. If you do decide on going to the 150 they come with a leaner needle so you might want to try that needle with the clip being in the 3rd or 4th position. Let me know what you end up with! BRAAAAAP!
Hi Kris,

Thanks! I currently ride a 125 after downgrading from a YZ250 (which was too much for my throttle whiskey hand) so I'm thinking the 150 might be a good fit. Rolling on the throttle is not my strong point.
TJMX947
4/21/2017 10:33am
My bad Keefer, I read that as "Sway" not "Stay" :-) Good call!

Charlotte is a hot spot for Magazine Editors. Weege lives here, Basher moved here while he was with MXA... We have room for a Dirt Rider guy. Thank you for the info!
Kruse317
Fantasy
3337th
4/21/2017 11:15am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2017 11:17am
Do you prefer the SG12 or Tech 10 boots? It seems to come up on the forum pretty often and I am trying to decide between the two myself. Have been in Gaerne for about 10 years but just got a new pair of Tech 10's for a good deal. Have yet to ride in them. Thanks.
Kris Keefer
4/21/2017 7:09pm
Kruse317 wrote:
Do you prefer the SG12 or Tech 10 boots? It seems to come up on the forum pretty often and I am trying to decide between...
Do you prefer the SG12 or Tech 10 boots? It seems to come up on the forum pretty often and I am trying to decide between the two myself. Have been in Gaerne for about 10 years but just got a new pair of Tech 10's for a good deal. Have yet to ride in them. Thanks.
Kruse317,

I like the SG12 a lot. It is very comfortable and the sole is really durable. However I still prefer a Tech 10 for my ankle protection. The Tech 10 takes longer to break in as the SG12 is almost ready from the first minute.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
4/22/2017 11:32am
Kris,

Has Keefer, Inc ever thought about testing products outside of the moto market? Like more "Keefer After Dark" type of products?
Kris Keefer
4/22/2017 4:54pm
motoxxx599 wrote:
Kris,

Has Keefer, Inc ever thought about testing products outside of the moto market? Like more "Keefer After Dark" type of products?
HAHA. No haven't thought of that. I will stick to Dirt Rider and testing products. For now: Wink

4/23/2017 10:24am
Kris,
If the Japanese had an extra $500 to spend on an OEM 250/450, how do you think they would spend it?
Thanks for answering our questions.
Kris Keefer
4/23/2017 7:21pm
Kris, If the Japanese had an extra $500 to spend on an OEM 250/450, how do you think they would spend it? Thanks for answering our...
Kris,
If the Japanese had an extra $500 to spend on an OEM 250/450, how do you think they would spend it?
Thanks for answering our questions.
The OEM's are all going toward electric start so I don't want to throw that in there. So I will go with taking weight off. Yes! Taking weight off gets expensive because making the tooling to have a lightweight part and have it durable takes money. I know KTM is making all of the other manufacturers watch their diets now that the FE's are so light (with a battery).
Motofinne
4/24/2017 2:11am
What are your thoughts on the GPs? My favorite part of the GPs are the different tracks and surfaces that the riders have to adapt to from race to race. I feel like there is always a chance of a new winner or a podium guy in the GPs because of the various track conditions they have to adapt for.

I feel like almost all the US national tracks are prepped the same way and the same guys takes the top 5 spots in the motos. Southwick is the only track that can provide a bit of a shake up with the results.

So my question is: Do you think MX Sports should try to prep some of the tracks in a different way? It seems like all the tracks gets ripped really deep and that makes the racing very similar regardless of where the race is.

motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
4/24/2017 7:31am
Kris,

What are your thoughts on Vince Friese?
One-Hander
4/24/2017 9:51am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2017 9:56am
Kris I have another question if you don't mind.

I see you have tested both the 2017 250SX and the TC250. The bikes are pretty much identical on paper, but do they have any differences as a rider - which do you prefer, or which (if you had to open your wallet) would you buy (and why)?

Thanks again.

Kris Keefer
4/24/2017 1:21pm
Motofinne wrote:
What are your thoughts on the GPs? My favorite part of the GPs are the different tracks and surfaces that the riders have to adapt to...
What are your thoughts on the GPs? My favorite part of the GPs are the different tracks and surfaces that the riders have to adapt to from race to race. I feel like there is always a chance of a new winner or a podium guy in the GPs because of the various track conditions they have to adapt for.

I feel like almost all the US national tracks are prepped the same way and the same guys takes the top 5 spots in the motos. Southwick is the only track that can provide a bit of a shake up with the results.

So my question is: Do you think MX Sports should try to prep some of the tracks in a different way? It seems like all the tracks gets ripped really deep and that makes the racing very similar regardless of where the race is.

Man, I love the GP's. I think I get more excited to watch the 450 GP guys more than our dudes here. I just like how technical a lot of the riders are in the GP's. I know SOME of our guys are that way, but not as much as the European riders.

I do like our tracks here in the states and think we do a pretty good job on prep, but you're right in the fact we need more different types of terrain. I felt like we had some of that in the 90s and that all went away. We need a hard pack track, a sand track, etc.

I don't think MX Sports needs to change the way they prep the tracks, but rather look for new venues with different types of soil. Regardless, I love moto and love watching both the GP's and AMA series.

On a side note I am a huge Cairoli fan after watching that dude ride the wheels off of his KTM in Trentino. Holy crap! Cheers!
Kris Keefer
4/24/2017 1:26pm
motoxxx599 wrote:
Kris,

What are your thoughts on Vince Friese?
We all know Vince's deal. I think he mellowed out a little as the year went on. Most of his moves are his fault and some are not his fault. When you have a track record like VInce's it's hard to shed that image you know? However, his starts are impressive and Mike must of showed him a few things about getting starts? Or maybe Vince should show the 800 what he has been doing cause the dude gets holeshot after holeshot.
Kris Keefer
4/24/2017 1:30pm
One-Hander wrote:
Kris I have another question if you don't mind. I see you have tested both the 2017 250SX and the TC250. The bikes are pretty much...
Kris I have another question if you don't mind.

I see you have tested both the 2017 250SX and the TC250. The bikes are pretty much identical on paper, but do they have any differences as a rider - which do you prefer, or which (if you had to open your wallet) would you buy (and why)?

Thanks again.

The KTM has a little more bark to it down low, but otherwise they are very similar. If it was just me I would buy the KTM as it pulls a little better down low and for no other reason than I personally like the color scheme more. Think about what you get the best deal on and go that direction. Yes there is a little difference in engine feel, but in this case go with what your wallet is telling you from the inside.
swtwtwtw
4/24/2017 1:38pm
I just want say thanks for shedding some suspension set up light for my bike, 2017 FC250, both in person and in Dirt Rider. Following those suggestions I know I have it dialed for my riding ability after a couple hours.

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Kris Keefer

The Latest