Vital MX Forum QNA: Justin Starling

JackLHyde
10/28/2015 7:22am
Justin,

you gave a nice overview on which manufacturer gave you how many bikes in the amateurs.

How is this stuff being handled in the pro ranks? More often than not you hear from riders not having a bike to ride after a contract ends / gets terminated, whatsoever. Do they get to keep some or have to give all back. And why don't they just buy one to ride with?
Preston412
10/28/2015 7:39am
Hello Justin, I wanted to say thanks for considering Tristan Lane as a replacement rider for the Holland SX, it meant a lot to him.
Is there a possibility to get him hooked up for the next 3 weeks to train with some pro riders for the Mini O's? He has made a lot of improvements since moving to the A class but seems to have a hard time finding fast guys to practice with.
thanks again
jonboy688
10/28/2015 8:16am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2015 8:17am
who is the rider that you looked up to the most growing up, and now?
do you play mad skills moto at all?
MXerDW
10/28/2015 9:29am
Hey Justin, have fun overseas racing this coming month and safe travels. Get some top 5's and podiums buddy.

Dwayne

The Shop

10/28/2015 10:35am
HenryA wrote:
So I see that you have told us about the Japanese MFG's, but what were your thoughts about the KTM when you raced it? How different...
So I see that you have told us about the Japanese MFG's, but what were your thoughts about the KTM when you raced it? How different is the Euro-made bikes compared to the japanese when it's equipped with pro suspension, engine etc?

And what gear will you be running in 2016?
You know, I did not get to ride the KTM all that much because I was hurt a lot of 2012 when I raced for AG Motorsports KTM... Their race bike was awful. It hardly ever ran haha. I had bought my own practice KTM 250f and that bike was pretty good. We left it mostly stock besides pipe, suspension, and bars and such. I enjoyed the KTM and I would definitely ride their new bike! As to the difference between bikes, the KTM felt stiff to me and the Honda Kawasaki etc felt comfortable.

I am not sure on gear yet, waiting for Traders to tell me!

10/28/2015 10:36am
Why did you roost the shit out of me last month at Budds Creek going up the uphill triple? (Kevin Crine memorial race practice) J/K, It's...
Why did you roost the shit out of me last month at Budds Creek going up the uphill triple? (Kevin Crine memorial race practice)

J/K, It's all good. I got you back coming up out of the horseshoe.

I don't have any questions, but thanks for taking a few minutes to answer questions for the others.
Haha! I don't remember that... Sorry!
10/28/2015 10:40am
JackLHyde wrote:
Justin, you gave a nice overview on which manufacturer gave you how many bikes in the amateurs. How is this stuff being handled in the pro...
Justin,

you gave a nice overview on which manufacturer gave you how many bikes in the amateurs.

How is this stuff being handled in the pro ranks? More often than not you hear from riders not having a bike to ride after a contract ends / gets terminated, whatsoever. Do they get to keep some or have to give all back. And why don't they just buy one to ride with?
Honestly, I am not sure how it is handled in the professional ranks.. From what I have heard, It seems like teams take back their practice bikes, parts and all that as soon as the contract agreement is over... And a lot of pros have big heads so they won't go buy a bike because they feel like they should be given bikes, not buying them!

I personally think its smart to buy one bike, just incase anything happens, you have a bike to ride!
10/28/2015 10:42am
Preston412 wrote:
Hello Justin, I wanted to say thanks for considering Tristan Lane as a replacement rider for the Holland SX, it meant a lot to him. Is...
Hello Justin, I wanted to say thanks for considering Tristan Lane as a replacement rider for the Holland SX, it meant a lot to him.
Is there a possibility to get him hooked up for the next 3 weeks to train with some pro riders for the Mini O's? He has made a lot of improvements since moving to the A class but seems to have a hard time finding fast guys to practice with.
thanks again
Not a problem, I did what I could but at the end of the day, Its not my decision who gets to go!

As of right now, Its hard to find Pros to ride with as they are all riding Supercross and none of them are riding outdoors.

However, I told him I would be happy to help him with what I could!
10/28/2015 10:47am
jonboy688 wrote:
who is the rider that you looked up to the most growing up, and now?
do you play mad skills moto at all?
it varied, Myself and family are very close with the Pastranas so I always looked up to Travis.. After he went over to action sports stuff, I started to really look up to James Stewart for how he rode the bike and the natural talent he has!

As for Mad Skills, I have it.... But I don't play it haha, it's so frustrating how if you don't spend $10 for the best bike, you don't stand a chance!
Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
10/28/2015 1:36pm
Hi Justin

Give us a little insight as to what your daily training/riding routine is. And who do you train with? Do you have a trainer? do you do it all on your own? Do you train with another pro?
Starcrossed
10/30/2015 6:10pm
Hey Justin, thanks for participating in the QNA this week. You provided one of the most memorable privateer highlights of the year with your performance in moto 1, at Budds Creek. It is a rare occasion when a privateer gets a holeshot or is able to mix it up with the factory riders inside the top five. Finishing 11th against the extremely deep 250 field is an accomplishment few privateers can claim. Can you tell us how everything went up to that gate drop, how you were feeling that day, how much of a factor the conditions were, and whether or not you gained any additional exposure with sponsors, fans, media, etc...based on your results that day? Good luck in 2016.
10/31/2015 12:01am
Hey Justin, thanks for participating in the QNA this week. You provided one of the most memorable privateer highlights of the year with your performance in...
Hey Justin, thanks for participating in the QNA this week. You provided one of the most memorable privateer highlights of the year with your performance in moto 1, at Budds Creek. It is a rare occasion when a privateer gets a holeshot or is able to mix it up with the factory riders inside the top five. Finishing 11th against the extremely deep 250 field is an accomplishment few privateers can claim. Can you tell us how everything went up to that gate drop, how you were feeling that day, how much of a factor the conditions were, and whether or not you gained any additional exposure with sponsors, fans, media, etc...based on your results that day? Good luck in 2016.
Not a problem! I have been wanting to do one of these for awhile! haha

Budds Creek was definitely one to remember. I had just got picked up by Traders Racing Kawasaki and had only rode the bike for about one hour before race day, so I was really nervous going into race day with such little time on their bike.
Luckily for me, I am a decent mud rider haha, I woke up saturday morning nervous but excited for the mud! Practice went well I qualified 15th with the one timed session we got. I lined up in-between I think Craig and Savatgy. I decided to do the sight lap just because at that point I was pretty confident I would score some good points! My bike felt like a rocketship out of the gate and I was pumped to grab the holeshot. I only led for about half a lap before Hampshire made a pass on me, I tried my best to not freak out and just be calm. I ended up getting passed again by Alex Martin and I was 3rd for about 3-4 laps before Hampshire went down again and next thing I knew I was second again! haha I believe I stayed top 3 till around 17 minutes.. I got tight and nervous thinking about how I was about to podium my first race on the new team and ended up getting arm pump and going backwards which sucked. But 11th was by far my best moto of my career and I was excited and so was the team. Second moto didn't go as well as my goggles broke and I struggled to see and came in 20th for 16th overall.. Great weekend with so little time with the team!

As for getting any additional exposure, YES! That week I believe I gained around 2-3k followers on Instagram haha and sponsors were very happy with me and made sure I knew that! After that weekend, Traders signed me for the remainder of 2015 and now we are going into 2016 together!
Adam43
10/31/2015 3:29pm
Imagine a local A-class Joe who has suddenly stumbled upon a giant pot of money.

He wants to qualify and race at AMA Nationals, and has six months to get ready.

What advice would you give him?
JG463
10/31/2015 10:34pm
Yeah! Good seeing you do this Justin. The few weekends we spent together this year were rad! I'll see you at a few rounds this winter and Summer. Keep Kenny in line and keep up the good work my friend!

Jon
Thelen20
11/1/2015 6:23pm
Thanks for doing this Justin and thanks for always scoring me some killer points in my fantasy league!
11/1/2015 8:02pm
Adam43 wrote:
Imagine a local A-class Joe who has suddenly stumbled upon a giant pot of money. He wants to qualify and race at AMA Nationals, and has...
Imagine a local A-class Joe who has suddenly stumbled upon a giant pot of money.

He wants to qualify and race at AMA Nationals, and has six months to get ready.

What advice would you give him?
Hmm, Thats a very weird question..

I would say buy a road bike, buy a gym membership, train your butt off for the physical side..

The buy some A-Kit suspension, A good motor, and work on one lap sprints.. I have seen plenty of guys go out and say they are going to score points and just do 30 minute motos all day every day but can't get past the most important part, Timed qualifying haha
11/1/2015 8:04pm
JG463 wrote:
Yeah! Good seeing you do this Justin. The few weekends we spent together this year were rad! I'll see you at a few rounds this winter...
Yeah! Good seeing you do this Justin. The few weekends we spent together this year were rad! I'll see you at a few rounds this winter and Summer. Keep Kenny in line and keep up the good work my friend!

Jon
My man JG! Was awesome having you on Traders for a couple outdoors before you went the family route!

Hope all is well!
11/1/2015 8:04pm
Thelen20 wrote:
Thanks for doing this Justin and thanks for always scoring me some killer points in my fantasy league!
Not a problem, I am pumped Steve thought of me!!

And I plan to score you more points in 2016 !!!
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/2/2015 7:59am
Well, last question. I'll play devil's advocate... Was doing wife swap as bad of an experience as I would imagine? LaughingLaughingTongue
RCB33
Fantasy
118th
11/3/2015 6:50am
I got one more question, what is your favorite racing memory from you career thus far(ametuer and pro career)
11/3/2015 10:48am
ML512 wrote:
Well, last question. I'll play devil's advocate... Was doing wife swap as bad of an experience as I would imagine? LaughingLaughingTongue
Haha! You know, it was not so bad. It was all staged, so it was kind of amusing.. But I definitely would not do it again haha!
11/3/2015 10:49am
RCB33 wrote:
I got one more question, what is your favorite racing memory from you career thus far(ametuer and pro career)
Hmm, favorite memory would have to be winning the CTi Iron Man Award at Mini O's in 2010.. I went into that weekend with my only goal was to win the Iron Man Award and to accomplish that goal was huge for me! Its not an easy award to win!
juanchi151
11/3/2015 11:57am
Give us a little insight as to what your daily training/riding routine is
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
11/4/2015 5:36pm
All right, Justin, you're off the hook here. Smile

Thanks for helping out!

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Justin Starling

The Latest