Vital MX Forum QNA: Jeff Emig

Create New Tag

12/25/2017 10:01 PM

moore433 wrote:

Jeffro,,
You had a awesome career and glad to see you still riding and racing.. Enjoy your tv commentary too!! Congrats also on your over coming your speech impediment to become a tv announcer, wow, that took some work!!!!!

I remember being pitted close to you at at LL qualifier in San Antonio Tx in 88 I believe. I was in awe of your box van with a kx 125 hanging upside down against the right side wall inside the box van!!!!
You and your brother Brian rode awesome that weekend...

Interesting fact, I believe it was 89 Ponca City Jeremy Albright( your long time mechanic ) were both racing the 125 int class. Off the gate everyone took off and out of the corner of my eye I saw a green blur coming at me across the start straight. It was Jeremy out of control somehow, which really surprised me because he was a dang good rider back then. Anyway, he was crossing right in front of me and I nailed him.. We both went flying!!!!!
I finished the moto stuck in 3rd gear. He didn’t finish. And later I saw him and his back was skint from his neck to his pants...
can’t believe I ran over a moto industry big wig back in the day... lol

Keep up the good work #47!!

Jeremy Albrecht was a pretty good rider in his day! That start at Ponca was pretty dangerous, I had multiple crashes it that turn throughout my career....

Thanks for the kind words...

|

12/25/2017 10:06 PM

FlaNard wrote:

Thanks Fro. For being such a huge part of why I got into this sport in the first place and for being such a cool guy to me when I was just a star stuck kid hoping for a picture. Happy holidays to you and yours!

FlaNard,

Thanks for the kind words!

Happy Holidays!

|

12/25/2017 10:10 PM

jdj727 wrote:

Fro daddy.. dude the helicopter/ strung out Halloween parties at your pad in Riverside.. classic.. let’s not even mention Metro on Tuesday nights.. I remember at the 99 goat invitational out at World mini just as we finished the first part of the main you just passed me.. I was riding 125 and was off the first gate drop after they interviewed you they asked me what I was gonna do.. yep hook a chain to Emig he’s going to the front so I better try and tag along..

jd,

Yep there were some crazy parties back in the days... Shhhh. Haha!

All the best.

|

12/25/2017 10:13 PM

Rhino wrote:

Most here won't have a clue what I'm talking about, but how many years did you and MC, Ryno, MRC, etc run the JG sticker on your helmets? I have a few saved still.

Rhino,

We ran those for a few years. Jeff Grafton was a special person and he was taken from us way too soon...

Thanks for the message. Best wishes!

|

12/25/2017 11:03 PM

752dad wrote:

First of all Jeff, thanks for taking the time to come on here and answer everyones questions.
It makes me crazy when the broadcaster screams “Rider X makes a mistake” rather than “Rider X hit a huge kicker and almost swapped out” When a NASCAR driver spins or hits the wall they never say it’s a mistake. Your thoughts from a rider perspective?

Thanks again and happy holidays.
KC

Not sure exactly what your getting at, but for sure in Nascar there is more time to explain the situations.

Thanks again for the question. Best regards.

|

12/25/2017 11:06 PM

mxfanWI wrote:

Hi Jeff - as a late 80s and 90s era rider myself I have been a long time fan and have become an even bigger fan in more recent years. A comment and question:

I wanted to say as a fan, bench racer and overall motocross enthusiast, it is refreshing to have someone directly involved in the sport, like yourself, who makes an effort to reach out to the fans via social media and appearances at the races, etc. It is awesome to post something on instagram and receive a personal response or run into you at a Monster event and you take a minute to say hi and grab a quick pic. I personally wish more of the riders today would take the time for more personal interaction.

Question: If one wanted to set up a "Day with Fro" what would we need to do.

mxfanWI,

Thank you for the kind words. You can DM me about the "Day with Fro" idea, haha!

Best wishes!

|

12/25/2017 11:21 PM

Hey Jeff, First off Merry Christmas to you and your family ! I don't have a serious question for you but am wondering if you still go out and ride at Ocotillo Wells ? We've bumped into (not literally lol) a few pro's out there over the years and it's always a big deal for the kids, you still ride out there ?

|

12/25/2017 11:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/25/2017 11:39 PM

Hi Jeff,
As you are an individual who has been exposed to all areas of the MX industry, how can we get more tracks opened for existing and potential new riders? Would the manufacturers or aftermarket companies invest in running regularly open MX facilities at various states to grow and at least sustain the sport? More riding facilities would translate into more sales revenue. For example, if Husky owned a track, offered ride days to try out different models, it would be a win for everyone? Santa Clara lost their track, I’m in CT and we just lost CTMX; we used to be able to practice 2-4x a week, now we are probably only looking at riding at weekend events/races. Local zoning ordinances also limit new tracks from opening. Any suggestions you could offer would be appreciated, Thanks, Joe

|

12/26/2017 6:22 AM

MR. X wrote:

Was this a sick bar dragging corner pic or the start to a crash?

Please comment on this picture and what was the reaction you received throughout that day... Were you the only one doing it like that and if I heard right that was at the 1992 mx des nations at Manjimup in Australia. Thank you for your time answering everyones other questions.

|

12/26/2017 10:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/26/2017 10:25 AM

Jeff,

I know you and Ralph both catch a lot of flack from some OG SX fans, but I really do enjoy listening to you guys in the booth. It's apparent that you both take the job seriously and want to do the best you can each weekend to bring us a great show. Having said that, I have heard interviews from both you and Ralph and you guys both have some serious personality and are pretty funny guys. I hope you two can bring a little more of that into your broadcasts in 2018! I bet when they say 'cut' and you guys are off air we miss out on some good stuff each week! Maybe sneak a quick shot of your favorite adult beverage before the night show moving forward! Haha

Good luck for the upcoming SX season Fro!

|

12/26/2017 10:31 AM

Thanks for spending the time in here, Jeff. We'll call this another successful QNA in the books.

|

12/26/2017 12:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/26/2017 12:27 PM

GuyB wrote:

Thanks for spending the time in here, Jeff. We'll call this another successful QNA in the books.

It was more like a PAR, a "Praise and Reply" session.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

12/26/2017 12:42 PM

Ted722 wrote:

Wow, hard to believe it's been almost 30 years since I saw you and Chris Neal have a good battle at the '88 Golden States at Sandhill Ranch. Good memories from the Golden States.

If you were racing Outdoors today, what would you like or dislike about today/s tracks? Seems like they're more alike than different compared to when you raced.

Thanks for doing this!

ted,

I think that your analysis is spot on, and most riders feel the same. They do a tremendous job with the MX Championship right now though. But yes, all of the tracks seem to be the same. I miss the variety that the championship had in my days. You could say that there was most "natural terrain" back then...

Great question. All the best!

|

12/26/2017 12:47 PM

What are your memories of the 1997 MxDN. I remember the track was in perfect shape but for the Sunday races they way over watered it. Which of course would help the Belgians. What do you remember about how things went down before the races on Sunday?

|

12/27/2017 6:52 PM

Jeff Emig wrote:

FlaNard,

Thanks for the kind words!

Happy Holidays!

Jeff:

Why do you and Ralph seem to go out of your way NOT to mention the national Motocross series during the Supercross broadcasts?

Specifically at the end of the Supercross Series, you guys never mention that most of the riders and teams we have been watching in Supercross are headed to the AMA National MX series in a few weeks. If an uninitiated person was to go just by your announcing, they would think that the next event for all the riders they have been watching all during the Supercross season is the Monster Energy Cup in the fall.

During the AMA national series Greg and Jason mention Supercross all the time. But you guys never mention Motocross. Why is that?

Thank you Jeff and Happy New Year.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

12/28/2017 1:38 AM

Jeff, no question, I want just say Hi and thanks for some memories from MXoN Teutschenthal 2013
Your Shift gear combo back in the days is still for me best ever made!

|

16 Yamaha YZ450F
94 Honda CR 500
90 Honda CR 500
81 Yamaha SR 500
68 BSA Thunderbolt