Vital MX Forum QNA: Jeff Emig

12/22/2017 9:02am
Hey Jeff, I've been a huge fan since you were on 80's and actually raced against you in the Texas Stadium in 1988 in 250 Int. class. I thought I had a good chance to win, until I saw you line up a few spots down, and I remember thinking, "Well this is just bullshit"...haha. But thanks for ruining all my hopes and dreams of being a SX star that rainy day, and encouraging me to go to college instead.
P-Nut
12/22/2017 9:48am
Hey Jeff,

First saw you in Greeley, CO, 1987...you came and raced a local supercross
running the 47 outta your dads box van...been a fan ever since.

Always dug this pic....

12/22/2017 10:12am
Hey fro, the other day my 13 year old came home from school ecstatic about who his substitute teacher was for one of his classes.......Your sister? He's not bullshitting me is he? If your sister is teaching my kid, thats rad and tell her i will slap him if need be. ha.
jeffro503
12/22/2017 10:25am
You stole my name! Smile

No questions Jeff. Just a fan of your career , and thanks for coming on here man. Hope you have a great Christmas.

The Shop

Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 11:33am
bd wrote:
Fro... I know you have spoken about this before but can you expand on it. Your first 250 Supercross win in Vegas - some riders sat...
Fro... I know you have spoken about this before but can you expand on it. Your first 250 Supercross win in Vegas - some riders sat out to make a point. I was there and you raced the supercross without stadium lights. As a fan -- THANK YOU! I also understand why the riders sat it out. Did you get backlash from some of the riders? Do you wish you had sat out to make a point to the promoters? What can the riders do to have a voice with promoters? Trey is trying to be that bridge. Any advise for him?

Second question: Last year Vegas 450F main? Did the video screens make it a challenge for you all see Tomac's cat and mouse game with Dungey? What happened with that anaylsis?

Awesome job.... the analyst job is extremely hard and in my opinion, you kill it. Stay on the gas Fro!!
Yo BD,

This is long story to try and explain. Yes, there was a bit of back lash from some rides that thought we "crossed the line" of unity. But the fact is that I did not think that we could affect the problem in a positive way by not riding. And when it cam down to it, my allegiance was to the fans, they are the ones that pay my contacts, not the promoters. In the end, there were some changes made to the system and some things got better. I won the race, got my name in the record books as a main event winner and I made a huge win bonus.

What Trey Canard is doing is working primarily with safety. I think he is the perfect person for creating that bridge you talk about.

Question two: I would have to watch the race back again to understand what you are saying about the cat/mouse games that I missed. Great race though!

Happy Holidays!
Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 11:37am
Are they really working on a sequel for Frezno Smooth and are you going to make a cameo appearance? St. Louis 1996 was my first supercross...
Are they really working on a sequel for Frezno Smooth and are you going to make a cameo appearance?

St. Louis 1996 was my first supercross. I've been a huge fan since then. Your Troy Lee paint jobs and gear were always so bad ass. I just might have to replicate that camo helmet you had to go along with my new Shift Black label gear.
Smashing Pumpkins,

I have had a few conversations about Fresno Smooth 2, yes. But as far as a "cameo" appearance? J-Bone and I are dead, remember!!!

Thanks for the questions and comments, have a great holiday!
Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 11:59am
braaap707 wrote:
Hi. Seeing your riding that TC125 a lot lately as well as at the dream race. Very cool. On the note of 2 strokes how important...
Hi. Seeing your riding that TC125 a lot lately as well as at the dream race. Very cool. On the note of 2 strokes how important do you think it is for them to stick around at the pro and amateur levels ? With the emx125 class being a great hit in Europe do you believe we should have a full time 125 class for the 14-18 year olds that travels the outdoor series for them to show their stuff on a big bike ? Thanks for doing this fro !

I think the 125cc bike is an important part of the stepping stones in our sport. I am thankful that Husqvarna and the other manufacturers are investing in its future. I think that the gap between the 85/SuperMini to a 250F is too big for most young riders. I know times have changed, but to put it into perspective, I rode a 125 as my primary Motocross bike from the end of 1987 to the end of 1994, thats 7 years!!! Seven years to mature mentally, physically, and skillfully... (if thats even a word..) But you get my point, right?

Not sure what the future of a racing series can be at this point though...

But for me, I am thankful that Husqvarna makes a full line of Motocross bikes for me to choose from. Last year I started on the new TC250, then rode my FC450 for a while, then after my shoulder injury in March of this year, I started back on my TC125. I have been having a blast on it! I decided to put the 150cc kit on it now to give it just a bit more power and its awesome! Most people don't believe it when I tell them I ride the 2018 bone stock, just with 150 kit, FMF pipe, bars/grips and number plate backgrounds... Boom! I love it!

Happy Holidays!
Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 12:06pm
nd54 wrote:
The good old days at LL Ranch. Back in either 1987 or 1988 I was eating dinner at a place near the highway (I-40). While sitting...
The good old days at LL Ranch. Back in either 1987 or 1988 I was eating dinner at a place near the highway (I-40). While sitting at the table eating with my brother someone walks by and says "GERRRRR" to the table next to us (which I think you, your dad & maybe your brother) were sitting at. What does this mean?
nd54,

My dads race shop was Gary Emig Racing, or GER... So everyone called him "Big GERRRR", like a growl. It was always pretty funny. Maybe it was suppose to be like the sound of an engine revving, who knows....

Have a great Holiday!
Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 12:16pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Hey Jeff . Riders from the 90s have the reputation for not really training hard .Is this true or do you guys just get a bad...
Hey Jeff . Riders from the 90s have the reputation for not really training hard .Is this true or do you guys just get a bad rap , and how would you compare it to the regimens of today's riders.
ATK,

Well, THOSE riders that actually did train hard get a bad rap... Look, no one is successful in a sport as physical as ours without training at some level, talent only gets you so far. But I would say that more riders have a more disciplined approach to training these days, and that Ricky Carmichael and his dedication to his program had a dramatic influence on what the riders who are successful are doing in 2018... Lets put it this way, no one has called me wanting to look at my program/training notes from 1996-1999, haha! I just worked on how I felt. So if I was tired, I trained less, if I was full of energy, I trained harder. Now set program to speak of, and thats why I was so inconsistent. But... when I was on, I was ON!!!

Happy Holidays!
Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 12:27pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Hi Jeff, Of all the teams you rode for which bike was your favorite during your career and why? Oh and Dungey might of landed on...
Hi Jeff,

Of all the teams you rode for which bike was your favorite during your career and why?

Oh and Dungey might of landed on the Wheaties box but this guy...

https://youtu.be/cRgkDLlxwbk?rel=0
Maverick,

Hard to beat that '96-'98 KX 250... That chassis and suspension was SO good! We did an amazing job of developing the engine too. I really enjoyed the process of testing and making the bike better. Rick Ash, Brett Leaf, Norm Bigelow, Jeremy Albrecht and the team worked really hard to give me the best bike out there. Good memories for sure, but even better machine. I still have one, you can check it out at the Fox Racing HQ in Irvine, CA. Its on display with a bunch of classic race bikes.

"Oh Ryan Dungey is the first SX Champ to be on a cereal box...." Thats bullshit! History will show that EMIG O's were the first to feature a racer from our sport. AND, be the healthiest way to start your day of riding, with OATS ANS BRAN! (which probably meant you were hitting the first filthy port-o-let you seen once you got to the track in the morning) Start every day with a .........

Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.

Have a great holiday!
Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 1:01pm
Presley155 wrote:
Fro Daddy, to this day you are my favorite rider. I'm a 40 year old Jeff Emig super fan, and I buy the new GI Fro...
Fro Daddy, to this day you are my favorite rider. I'm a 40 year old Jeff Emig super fan, and I buy the new GI Fro camo gear each year. I know you've talked about it some before, but describe the mindset you had when you famously wore the all black Shift jersey at Troy in 97' when it was a million degrees out and you smoked everyone. And how does a super fan like myself get a signed circa 97' Emig #1 jersey? That is the crown jewel of collectibles for me.

I loved wearing that gear! And actually the back jersey wasn't that hot, it just looked hot. I mean, you felt it today you would think now way, this thing is a sweater! But that kit was just badass, and it fired me up, in a good way.

I only have one of those jerseys myself and I'm keeping it. haha!

Happy Holidays!

https://youtu.be/Fh6oRjVd0lQ
Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 1:06pm
b8res wrote:
Jeff... thanks for stopping in! One of my favorites photos!! Pure badassery!! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/12/21/233379/s1200_DC760E73_B954_4CA6_8439_E6E29C56C1BC.jpg[/img]
Jeff... thanks for stopping in!

One of my favorites photos!!

Pure badassery!!

b8res,

Im 99% sure this photo is from Shintaro Urashima, from Dirt Cool magazine in Japan. Steel City 1997 and I went 1-1 in the 250/Premier class. Thanks for posting.

Happy Holidays!
Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 1:08pm
levimx22 wrote:
yo fro, if i start out every morning with a fat bowl will it make me faster? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/12/21/233380/s1200_Screenshot_2017_12_21_14_59_00.jpg[/img]
yo fro, if i start out every morning with a fat bowl will it make me faster?

levimx22,

Probably not. Stick to some oatmeal and Rynopower Supplements. haha!

Have a great holiday!
newmann
12/22/2017 1:08pm
Always enjoy me some Emig. Congrats to you for overcoming your hurdles and becoming a great spokesman for the sport!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
WCRider
Fantasy
2234th
12/22/2017 1:11pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2017 1:12pm
I was there, great memories. Can't wait to hear you on January 6th. Thank you for making me dream when i was young Jeff. Good continuation and Happy Holidays.

Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 1:11pm
Mucktub wrote:
Hey Jeff, You may or may not remember but I was the guy you saw after the MXdN in Maggiora in the pits with the original...
Hey Jeff,

You may or may not remember but I was the guy you saw after the MXdN in Maggiora in the pits with the original blue with white mesh Shift T-shirt. I should of asked you to sign it but I had too much booze to consider it and no pen.

Still looks good, it must be 20 years old, they don't make 'em like they used to.

Must be a sweet part of your legacy, the whole Shift deal and it's continued sucess after you were the original shifter.

Thanks for the memories Jeff, and the t's.
Mucktub,

That was a busy day!!! Man what an event... One of the best ever, period. Shift has been a kick ass brand to work with, now over 20 years! No doubt that it was one of the best career moves that I made. Thanks for the post.

Happy Holidays!
MR. X
12/22/2017 1:17pm

Was this a sick bar dragging corner pic or the start to a crash?

Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 1:20pm
jnickell wrote:
Hi Jeff. My question takes us back to the 1994 San Jose SX. You and MC were dicing and it looked like MC brake checked you...
Hi Jeff. My question takes us back to the 1994 San Jose SX. You and MC were dicing and it looked like MC brake checked you causing you both to lay it down in the left hand turn after the finish line jump. Also, there was a jump immediately after the first triple that allowed you guys to clear a small table top as if it wasn't there. The gap was quite large and the landing was a large single that led into a 90 degree left. I remember watching you guys huck that and it appeared you all came up short purposely to scrub speed for the turn. At first I was thinking you guys were coming up short and I cringed until I figured out what I "think" you guys were doing. Can you confirm the alleged brake check and how you attacked the section after the triple? Thanks for the memories Jeff.

You can relive highlights of all the 1994 races at the following link. The San Jose race starts around the 53 minute mark, brake check and large jump included. Even though the large jump doesn't get any justice from the video. Here's the link... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtkZsCPCx70

P.S.

My son was born in September 1990 and his name is also Jeff. His name is not random. I chose the name because of the quantity of successful MX Jeffs at the time (I also liked the name). The list included yourself, Stanton, Ward, Mataisevich. Little did I know I should have named him Ryan...
jnickell,

As racers we all remember things a certain way, I know I do! There are so many races where I swore that it happened this way or that way, then I watch it back, and its not that way at all. But my defense team can show that I did "go outside" and I did "try to stop"... haha! But shit man, thats racing. It was pretty heated between the two of us back then so it was what it was... just another race where I got the holeshot and MC past me for the win. It sucked, but thats the way it went.

And yes, Jeff was really popular name for SX riders back then, but probably not as successful as the 2 Ryans of the last decade!

Happy Holidays!
Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 1:25pm
sende wrote:
Hey Mr. Emig. Big fan here since the early 90's.
Wich bike of your professional career was your favourite?
sende,

1996-1998 Kawasaki SR250 So good...

Happy Holidays!

Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 1:27pm
RiverockMX wrote:
Fro, remember this lid from 91? Ooh man..I just had to have one! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/12/21/233382/s1200_Fro_Lid.jpg[/img]
Fro, remember this lid from 91? Ooh man..I just had to have one!

RiverockMX,

Ya that was a cool TLD... Not sure where the OG is though... I don't think I have it. Nice replica.

Happy Holidays!
Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 1:29pm
Just wanted to check in and say what's up to my alltime favorite rider and the reason I got into moto in the first place. Hell...
Just wanted to check in and say what's up to my alltime favorite rider and the reason I got into moto in the first place. Hell I even named my old dog Emig. You're the man thanks for taking the time to do this.
Thanks Red Ryder.

"Old Dog" and EMIG seem to go together well these days! Haha!

Have a great holiday!
12/22/2017 1:29pm
Hey Jeff, I had the awesome privilege to meet and talk to you for a few hours when I won the Rockymountain MC Ultimate supercross experience a few years ago for Atlanta Supercross. We had dinner at an electic bistro and I am pretty sure 90% of the customers there were Gay, but I digress haha. Anyways It was an honor to meet you and I really wish I remembered some of the awesome stories you told me and my friends. Only issue was I was slightly buzzed from the free alcohol and only remember bits and pieces. That's all I got man, cheers and merry Christmas!
12/22/2017 1:32pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2017 1:33pm
Here’s a photo for reference, I’m the tall one on your right

moore433
12/22/2017 2:03pm
MR. X wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/12/22/233550/s1200_emig_bardrag.jpg[/img] Was this a sick bar dragging corner pic or the start to a crash?

Was this a sick bar dragging corner pic or the start to a crash?

I’m pretty sure I read that Emig was hitting that turn like that every lap and I do believe he rode of it..
One of the most iconic photos in Mx history in my opinion!!!
Thanks for posting that pic!!
plowboy
12/22/2017 2:05pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2017 2:06pm
Jeff, I'm not sure if you check this place out on a regular basis but it can be rowdy and ornery sometimes. As you can see so far...you are held in pretty high regard around here. That's respect earned as a racer and ambassador. Thanks for the memories and for doing this. Have yourself a great holiday.
SteveUrchin
Fantasy
1034th
12/22/2017 2:43pm
no questions just facts
Badass on & off the track
You weren't scared to have fun
If I could go back I'd party with you in havasu crusty days!!!
Hero in my book!
Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 2:43pm
What is your opinion on the use of Cannabis in the industry to eliminate the use of pharmaceuticals?
Smokes,

No opinion. Happy Holidays!
Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 3:17pm
datkin128 wrote:
How hard would top level racers like you and McGrath train in the 90s? Was McGrath all talent or would he train pretty hard too? How...
How hard would top level racers like you and McGrath train in the 90s? Was McGrath all talent or would he train pretty hard too? How do you think it compares to the top guys nowadays?
datkin128,

I have no idea about what MC did, but for me I had times where I trained my ass off. But I wasn't consistent with it. These days I feel like most riders are more disciplined than I ever was, especially the Champions.

Have a great holiday!
Forty
12/22/2017 4:12pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2017 4:12pm
Jeff -- I raced in the late 70s and early 80s and stepped away in 85 to raise the family...came back in 2000....

I missed your entire career!

So I only know you from your calling the races.

But from what I'm reading and seeing here you were as prepared then as you are now.

No question...just thanks for the good work.

jnickell
Fantasy
1874th
12/22/2017 4:17pm
jnickell wrote:
Hi Jeff. My question takes us back to the 1994 San Jose SX. You and MC were dicing and it looked like MC brake checked you...
Hi Jeff. My question takes us back to the 1994 San Jose SX. You and MC were dicing and it looked like MC brake checked you causing you both to lay it down in the left hand turn after the finish line jump. Also, there was a jump immediately after the first triple that allowed you guys to clear a small table top as if it wasn't there. The gap was quite large and the landing was a large single that led into a 90 degree left. I remember watching you guys huck that and it appeared you all came up short purposely to scrub speed for the turn. At first I was thinking you guys were coming up short and I cringed until I figured out what I "think" you guys were doing. Can you confirm the alleged brake check and how you attacked the section after the triple? Thanks for the memories Jeff.

You can relive highlights of all the 1994 races at the following link. The San Jose race starts around the 53 minute mark, brake check and large jump included. Even though the large jump doesn't get any justice from the video. Here's the link... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtkZsCPCx70

P.S.

My son was born in September 1990 and his name is also Jeff. His name is not random. I chose the name because of the quantity of successful MX Jeffs at the time (I also liked the name). The list included yourself, Stanton, Ward, Mataisevich. Little did I know I should have named him Ryan...
Jeff Emig wrote:
jnickell, As racers we all remember things a certain way, I know I do! There are so many races where I swore that it happened this...
jnickell,

As racers we all remember things a certain way, I know I do! There are so many races where I swore that it happened this way or that way, then I watch it back, and its not that way at all. But my defense team can show that I did "go outside" and I did "try to stop"... haha! But shit man, thats racing. It was pretty heated between the two of us back then so it was what it was... just another race where I got the holeshot and MC past me for the win. It sucked, but thats the way it went.

And yes, Jeff was really popular name for SX riders back then, but probably not as successful as the 2 Ryans of the last decade!

Happy Holidays!
Thanks for all the replies Jeff. I have to correct you on the San Jose race though. MC didn't actually win that one. Your boy Larocco was on rails that night and stole it after MC had to check his brakes to confirm they were working. Oh, by the way, that was my son Jeff's first SX. We've been to countless races since then. Thanks for the entertainment all these years and I also have to compliment you on your booth skills. Well done.

One last question, who was your pro rider hero back in the 80's. Mine was DB and OShow.

Jim

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Jeff Emig

The Latest