Vital MX Forum QNA: Jeff Emig

Create New Tag

12/21/2017 1:30 PM

Hey Mr. Emig. Big fan here since the early 90's.
Wich bike of your professional career was your favourite?

|

12/21/2017 1:31 PM

Fro, remember this lid from 91? Ooh man..I just had to have one!

|

12/21/2017 1:42 PM

Just wanted to check in and say what's up to my alltime favorite rider and the reason I got into moto in the first place. Hell I even named my old dog Emig. You're the man thanks for taking the time to do this.

|

12/21/2017 1:59 PM

oldblood wrote:

Hi, do you have any funny stories from your amateur days, mxdn, or crusty 1?

Jeff Emig wrote:

Old blood, man that would take a long time to type, like "War and Peace, The MX version!" Crusty 1 was great because it was so "pure"... No way you could pull that off today as a pro rider. The free riding and back yard minibike races were our life. And we had so much fun! Thanks for the question, Happy Holidays!

The cast in that movie seemed like an entertaining bunch of guys, you, McGrath, Hughes, Metzger, Manley, Lawrence, Antunez, Enslow, Matiasevich, Deegan, and the rest made it a pretty funny movie it must have been fun. Oh, and Stephenson may have been in it

|

Memories of tomorrow
AKA- rutslut I was early to finish, I was late to start.

12/21/2017 2:07 PM

What is your opinion on the use of Cannabis in the industry to eliminate the use of pharmaceuticals?

|

12/21/2017 2:28 PM

How hard would top level racers like you and McGrath train in the 90s? Was McGrath all talent or would he train pretty hard too? How do you think it compares to the top guys nowadays?

|

12/21/2017 2:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2017 4:27 PM

Mr. Emig,

Always been a big fan of yours
since your debut in the 250 class.

Since I live in St.Louis, and got to see
you take down McGrath in 96, and other
amazing ridders change up the scene here
in the big MO, what is your real opinion on
St.Louis Super Cross, and would you move it
closer to the middle of the season instead
Of near the end where most champions already
have the championship momentum?

Thank you for progressing, and giving so
much to the Motorsport world Jeff.

|

12/21/2017 3:50 PM

Muscle-Milk-KTM wrote:

Hi Jeff

It's alway great to hear you commentating along side Paul Malin for a couple of rounds of the MXGP. Just a few questions if you don't mind.

1 - When it comes to the MXON', do you and Paul still go over that day in 94 or has that run it's course now?

2 - What impresses you the most about the MXGP series?

3 - Finally, are you gonna do some GP's again next season and if so, what one/s?

BTW you was a badass back in the day, style for miles.

Hey MMKTM,

Hopefully the conversation about him working my ass in 1994 has run its course. Haha! Last year the event was in England and he had this epic set up with the bike and gear and everything from 1994 it was great. So maybe we can finally put that to bed.

What impresses me the most about the MXGP series? Those guys are pure motocross racers, with no Supercross distracting them throughout the year. The watch those guys ride a sand track is just epic!

Yeah hopefully I’ll join the Broadcaster for a couple more races. I love to travel and I love working with Paul and the crew, and gives me an opportunity to visit some places that I’ve never been.

Happy holidays!

|

12/21/2017 4:30 PM

Thanks for being you Fro. Legend.

P.S Your 97 KX 250 was the best looking bike of the decade.

|

"Are you kidding me guy? You know how hard I grease it"

12/21/2017 4:36 PM

Hi Jeff,

No questions, just a few comments. I have always been a big fan of yours. My Dad (Michael Gray) used to help your Dad back in the day with race cars. I believe it might have been before you born. I always loved going to the St. Louis SX every year to see you race. You always rode well there. I also loved seeing your brother Bryan race when he would show up to race at local Missouri races. He was pretty fast too.

Anyways, thanks for doing this!

|

12/21/2017 4:37 PM

crusty_xx wrote:

No question, just here to say Hi Jeff

Sup? Happy Holidays!

|

12/21/2017 4:51 PM

Hey Jeff! Is there any particular bike you raced that you REALLY liked? One that you felt you could do no wrong on?

|

12/21/2017 6:06 PM

Thanks for doing this, Jeff. In the Massacre at Saddleback DVD, Hannah mentioned that there were a handful of races throughout his career that he remembered almost every detail of. Are there any races from your career (am or pro) like that?

|

12/21/2017 6:37 PM

Jeff...it's truly an honor, Sir. You're such a legend. I'm big into SX, MX and also into their respective video games. From you being on the covers of the EA Supercross game series back in 99/2000 to now you being involved in Milestone's Monster Energy Supercross The Official Videogame.

My question. How did you become involved in the new Monster Energy Supercross game. I heard it was initially just Ralph but they've obviously added you. Curious about that experience. How long it took, did you enjoy it, anything cool about the experience.

Thanks for your time, Fro. 1997 is still my favorite Supercross series of all time. An epic year.

|

12/21/2017 7:14 PM

Hey Jeff, I think you do a great job in the announcing booth. I don't mean to critique you harshly, honest question: One thing that catches my attention during broadcasts or your work outside of SX is when you (and many others) pronounce Husqvarna Husq-a-varna. I believe the correct pronunciation is Husq-varna. Has this been brought up to you before?

|

12/21/2017 7:57 PM

Hi Jeff. We hear a lot about your battles with Jeremy and LaRocco. What did you think of competing against Doug Henry? One of you two was the outdoor champion every year from 92-98, except for your guys' rookie 250 year in '95. What were some highlights of racing Doug?

|

12/21/2017 7:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2017 8:03 PM

Jeffro,,
You had a awesome career and glad to see you still riding and racing.. Enjoy your tv commentary too!! Congrats also on your over coming your speech impediment to become a tv announcer, wow, that took some work!!!!!

I remember being pitted close to you at at LL qualifier in San Antonio Tx in 88 I believe. I was in awe of your box van with a kx 125 hanging upside down against the right side wall inside the box van!!!!
You and your brother Brian rode awesome that weekend...

Interesting fact, I believe it was 89 Ponca City Jeremy Albright( your long time mechanic ) were both racing the 125 int class. Off the gate everyone took off and out of the corner of my eye I saw a green blur coming at me across the start straight. It was Jeremy out of control somehow, which really surprised me because he was a dang good rider back then. Anyway, he was crossing right in front of me and I nailed him.. We both went flying!!!!!
I finished the moto stuck in 3rd gear. He didn’t finish. And later I saw him and his back was skint from his neck to his pants...
can’t believe I ran over a moto industry big wig back in the day... lol

Keep up the good work #47!!

|

12/21/2017 8:53 PM

Thanks Fro. For being such a huge part of why I got into this sport in the first place and for being such a cool guy to me when I was just a star stuck kid hoping for a picture. Happy holidays to you and yours!

|

Are you smart enough to buy a bike that costs less, weighs less, makes more horsepower per cubic centimeter, can be rebuilt for recycled aluminum can money and is giggle inducing? It is hard to believe that the American riding public flunks this test en masse. How stupid are you?

12/21/2017 9:13 PM

Fro daddy.. dude the helicopter/ strung out Halloween parties at your pad in Riverside.. classic.. let’s not even mention Metro on Tuesday nights.. I remember at the 99 goat invitational out at World mini just as we finished the first part of the main you just passed me.. I was riding 125 and was off the first gate drop after they interviewed you they asked me what I was gonna do.. yep hook a chain to Emig he’s going to the front so I better try and tag along..

|

12/21/2017 10:07 PM

Sandwarrior752 wrote:

As an Euro i really enjoyed the few GP's where you joined the booth, really good job! Hope that'll happen again in 2018 season.

Not much other questions, just wanna say i loved your riding back in the day! Saw you in Bercy SX as a kid and was hyped about USA racers ever since.

Also love the Husky 125 stuff you put out on Instagram!

Sandwarrior,

Thanks for the kind words. After Monster Energy SX is over I hope to do a couple of MXGP’s again.

And the Husqvarna TC125 us a blast, I love it! Have a great Holiday!

|

12/21/2017 10:18 PM

7446pats wrote:

Do you have a original MXA Seat cover from 97 I can have or buy for my build? (Farleigh Castle vmxdn 2016 on show far from finished at the time) hahaha

Also, what made Moto great In the 90s? Who was your favourite rider ever?

Unfortunately I do not have one of those seat covers. That item is going to be rare and herd to find. But if I see one I’ll let ya know.

The 1990’s was a good time for moto because it was the first time that the fans really had access to what the pro riders did away from the race track. Not to mention it was just a really fun time, the bikes were rad, two-stroke sounded cool, etc...

As far as favorite writer, man I loved all the guys that came before me. But the guys at Rhys specifically in the 90s, I really liked Jeff Ward, JMB, Stanton, O’mara & Guy Cooper!

Happy Holidays!

|

12/21/2017 10:33 PM

Park Boys wrote:

What was your best MX race? The one you felt the most invincible.

Park Boys,

Well, there certainly more MX races that I felt that way than SX! But, I would have to say Kenworthy’s in Troy, Ohio, 1997. Super hot, and that’s when I felt at my best. Looking back, I would say that my fitness was good, but where I had a big advantage was by being what I call “efficient” on the bike, where I didn’t use a lot of energy to ride that pace. Consequently I had a really good day, but damn was it hot!!! Have a great Holiday!

|

12/21/2017 11:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2017 11:16 PM

Most here won't have a clue what I'm talking about, but how many years did you and MC, Ryno, MRC, etc run the JG sticker on your helmets? I have a few saved still.

|

12/22/2017 6:26 AM

First of all Jeff, thanks for taking the time to come on here and answer everyones questions.
It makes me crazy when the broadcaster screams “Rider X makes a mistake” rather than “Rider X hit a huge kicker and almost swapped out” When a NASCAR driver spins or hits the wall they never say it’s a mistake. Your thoughts from a rider perspective?

Thanks again and happy holidays.
KC

|

12/22/2017 6:53 AM

Hi Jeff - as a late 80s and 90s era rider myself I have been a long time fan and have become an even bigger fan in more recent years. A comment and question:

I wanted to say as a fan, bench racer and overall motocross enthusiast, it is refreshing to have someone directly involved in the sport, like yourself, who makes an effort to reach out to the fans via social media and appearances at the races, etc. It is awesome to post something on instagram and receive a personal response or run into you at a Monster event and you take a minute to say hi and grab a quick pic. I personally wish more of the riders today would take the time for more personal interaction.

Question: If one wanted to set up a "Day with Fro" what would we need to do.

|

12/22/2017 7:20 AM

Wow, hard to believe it's been almost 30 years since I saw you and Chris Neal have a good battle at the '88 Golden States at Sandhill Ranch. Good memories from the Golden States.

If you were racing Outdoors today, what would you like or dislike about today/s tracks? Seems like they're more alike than different compared to when you raced.

Thanks for doing this!

|

12/22/2017 7:47 AM

Hey Fro,

Can we count on you at the dream race every year? That was the highlight of our PNW summer. Thanks for showing up!!

|

Osama Bin Mixin - Head of the 2-stroke Taliban

12/22/2017 8:19 AM

Hey Fro,

Second generation fan here! Heard many of stories from my dad about getting to watch you climb the mini ranks at regional races around the Mid West and local riding spots in "The Glory Days". Curious if you ever get back to KC much and what your favorite round of Monster Energy SX is!?

Thanks,
Matt

|

12/22/2017 8:33 AM

Hey Fro! You mentioned your fitness and the heat at Troy. By that point, especially with the black gear, you had certainly proven your point. When did you get serious about fitness? Is it true that Hannah beat you in a foot race around Southwick? I appreciate your candor and the grace you display. Never heard you badmouth anyone or make excuses. Good job.

|

12/22/2017 8:57 AM

Hey Jeff, thanks for stopping by.

There's talk about how much r&d ktm/husky put into their two strokes and how the yamaha is way behind. However bikes haven't drastically changed since the 90s compared to say the 70s to 80s. Particularly the 2 strokes which are still carb'd.
So does your husky compare to your race bikes of the 90s? Is it better? If so, do you mind elaborating on the difference?
Thanks Jeff and merry christmas!

|