Vital MX Forum QNA: David Bailey

Related:
kiwifan
11/4/2016 11:39pm
Always wanted to be able to tell you what joy you brought to my imagination as a 13 year old kid back in 1985-87, David. Anyone...
Always wanted to be able to tell you what joy you brought to my imagination as a 13 year old kid back in 1985-87, David. Anyone too young to have been alive during those wonderful, wonderful days of motocross really missed out on not only the best racing, but probably the greatest group of riders ever, and you were the very best Smile Thank you so much for the precious memories that I (and others) have of what a great rider and representative of the sport you were and are. P.S. you and Art Ekman were the best announcing team, ever!
x2 Smile
smezmx
11/5/2016 3:55am
The third pic is a rare one,it actually show's you getting a bit out of shape for a change! Laughing
I spoke to a guy on facebook who told me he was /is the guy behind you in the pic (you can see his helmet in the bottom right) he then told me that he was'nt keeping pace,but he went down hard in the first turn and that you had just lapped him.Wink

Another pic there of you and ronnie both looking at that factory honda and laughing.yeah i'd be happy too if i knew i'd be getting to ride that bike back then! It looks like Ronnie's even rubbing his hand's together at the thought of it!LaughingSmile
Somebody also mentioned that those bikes (or maybe johnny o's bike?) had a super trick rear brake pedal on it but i'm not sure if i'm correct on that one? My memory is'nt the best ......
txs again david,hope everyone likes the pics.............cool stuff

11/5/2016 7:39am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2016 8:21am
Always wanted to be able to tell you what joy you brought to my imagination as a 13 year old kid back in 1985-87, David. Anyone...
Always wanted to be able to tell you what joy you brought to my imagination as a 13 year old kid back in 1985-87, David. Anyone too young to have been alive during those wonderful, wonderful days of motocross really missed out on not only the best racing, but probably the greatest group of riders ever, and you were the very best Smile Thank you so much for the precious memories that I (and others) have of what a great rider and representative of the sport you were and are. P.S. you and Art Ekman were the best announcing team, ever!
It was my pleasure. I had a great time out there and a great run in the sport. It's hard to put into words the feeling I had to dream of being one of the best riders during the 70's watching Marty Smith and Hannah and so many great names and then actually become like them. However much joy you had, I had just as much out there living that dream!

I just heard that Art had some health complications. Hopefully he is okay. Send some good vibes and prayer out for him. He's getting up there in age, but I pray he recovers and gets a while longer to teach and travel.

I heard a funny line from him last year. He was getting an award for being in broadcasting for 50-years and he started out by saying, "You make a lot of mistakes when you're young ... I invented the 60-yard line." Ha! I can totally picture it. He was great to work with and very patient with me. In all his true passion for the sport and excitement, he'd get a name jumbled up like Ricky McGrath or Broc Summers here and there, but he was a the right host with the perfect voice at the right time for our sport.
11/5/2016 8:19am
smezmx wrote:
The third pic is a rare one,it actually show's you getting a bit out of shape for a change! :laugh: I spoke to a guy on...
The third pic is a rare one,it actually show's you getting a bit out of shape for a change! Laughing
I spoke to a guy on facebook who told me he was /is the guy behind you in the pic (you can see his helmet in the bottom right) he then told me that he was'nt keeping pace,but he went down hard in the first turn and that you had just lapped him.Wink

Another pic there of you and ronnie both looking at that factory honda and laughing.yeah i'd be happy too if i knew i'd be getting to ride that bike back then! It looks like Ronnie's even rubbing his hand's together at the thought of it!LaughingSmile
Somebody also mentioned that those bikes (or maybe johnny o's bike?) had a super trick rear brake pedal on it but i'm not sure if i'm correct on that one? My memory is'nt the best ......
txs again david,hope everyone likes the pics.............cool stuff

That top one is the huge finish line structure at the Bologna SX in Dec. '86. That turned out to be the last race I ever rode. There was a Superbiker deal mixed in to the program on 500's as well as the SX. It was two days of racing in cold weather but really fun. I had just won the King of Bercy again after 3-nights of racing. I went 3-1-2 and then we flew straight to Bologna and jumped right in to more racing. For the superbike deal 1/2 pavement using parts of the SX track I had a brand new '87 CR500 so I was stoked to ride and was in the first heat with Eddie Lawson! I was on a roll and won everything. After the races I met Giuseppe Luongo who took me and Gina to Florence the next day to look around and to a 4-hour lunch! I learned then that he was the promoter of the Maggiora race earlier that year and I started thinking I like his style and appreciated him going out of his way to show Gina and I around. I figured he would be the right person to ask about living over there and doing the GP's one day, but I went over the bars in January so it never materialized.

That next one of Lechien and I is at Gaildorf in 1985. We're all decked out and headed to the starting line. We hung out a little bit that year, put stickers on our helmets and played a lot of ping pong at the hotel in our spare time. He was having a great year!

That out of shape photo, hmmmm, is that Lake Whitney? I should've won that day, but I rode like a squid and there's the proof, but so did Hannah so I didn't feel too bad. I think Liles won

Lechien and I are probably laughing at something Jim Felt was saying. He's leaned down behind Johnny's bike. That was a great time at Honda for Lechien. His 125 was like a 250 and those wild looking 250's were F1! He smoked the 125 class every week and almost won the SX title. Good times.

That next shot is at my national in Va. I took some time cutting those extra vents in that Scott face mask knowing it would be hot and after I won I tossed 'em to the crowd. Somebody has a pair of goggles worn by a guy who put on his own national and won!

Those last couple photos stand out for two reasons. First, you can tell we all got along back then here in the US and abroad and we really enjoyed our time in the sport! Secondly, Johnny wore that corduroy Gary Bailey MX School hat all the time. I don't know why, but Gary was probably stoked.

The Shop

ninety3
11/5/2016 10:14am
Such an Epic thread !
jeffro503
11/5/2016 10:38am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2016 10:39am
ninety3 wrote:
Such an Epic thread !
No Kidding! This is by far the best QA thread ever made. So awesome seeing David just stroll through and answer questions like this.

David , I sure hope you stick around , or at least just stroll through the board ( or just this thread ) at times. It truly is an honor having you here. Thank you so much for all the awesome stories and information you have passed on in this thread. You are a true to life legend.

This thread = Hall of fame material.

Jeffro
selous scout
Ft Victoria Rhodesia/ Jarrettsville Md/, MD US
Fantasy
3966th
11/5/2016 12:32pm
It's a gift that keeps on giving Jeffro503 !
Bowmanator
11/5/2016 5:20pm Edited Date/Time 11/5/2016 7:51pm
David, I have another question for you if you get time and would like to answer. Concerning Jeff Spencer, I know he helped you though several orthopedic injuries in `83, but did you realize the importance of his association with the team before those episodes? I assume he was instrumental in steering you towards a more solid training foundation beginning in `82? I read you typically tried to get 9-10 hours of sleep per night during the season, and if so, was that Spencer's advice?
11/8/2016 2:00pm
Bowmanator wrote:
David, I have another question for you if you get time and would like to answer. Concerning Jeff Spencer, I know he helped you though several...
David, I have another question for you if you get time and would like to answer. Concerning Jeff Spencer, I know he helped you though several orthopedic injuries in `83, but did you realize the importance of his association with the team before those episodes? I assume he was instrumental in steering you towards a more solid training foundation beginning in `82? I read you typically tried to get 9-10 hours of sleep per night during the season, and if so, was that Spencer's advice?
Good question! I haven't heard Jeff's name in a long time.

I was aware of him just from observing the Honda team. He seemed to fit in with the team going on runs with the guys and kicking the hacky sack around with Sun, Hansen and O'Mara, but he also had a professionism about him. Once I signed with Honda at the end of 1981, I got a call from Jeff who introduced himself and asked about my training so he could have some idea how to form a plan to get me ready for the '82 season. I was comfortable with him right off the bat, but I was also intimidated so I just made up a few things since I basically had no running program or stretching or diet or supplements. Once I met him he had a way of knowing my condition, but not letting me know he knew so as to not make me feel like the liar I was and how far from the type of shape I should've been in. I've said on here before, I just rode. A lot! Anyway, I got a lot of basics from Jeff, some of it confirmation of what I knew deep down but hadn't put into practice yet. (I don't remember much emphasis on sleep) Jeff would train with us and he made it fun. In '82 I broke my foot the week before Anaheim, but rode the next round in Seattle mostly because Jeff had me in a special brace and gave me the confidence to try. Later in the year I broke my fibula in the Astrodome and that messed up my opportunity to start the nationals with my new strength. So Jeff arranged for me to see a hotshot dr. near Anaheim and that guy had my cast cut off and asked me to walk towards him down the hall. I was freaking out! My leg was clearly broken, but after he and Jeff explained the non-weight bearing bone part, I left there in an ace wrap and got 3rd or 4th at the Lake Whitney national 2-weeks later. Before Jeff, every injury was an ordeal. After Jeff, injuries were dealt with immediately and correctly making them basically a non-factor. In 1983, I totally ruined my ankle in Dallas on press day and missed that round, but never missed another round. Once healed from that, I broke my other foot during the main event in DC. Jeff's contribution to Honda is immeasurable, but for the record, Darryl Schultz probably would'nt have won the 1982 500 title and in 1983 Johnny O and I might not have won our titles! I know for sure I wouldn't have, which means I would'nt have had that blue plate! Honda didn't rehire him after that and I was puzzled. Hannah and I had a little discussion about keeping him on board, but the $ mixed with our funding of Jeff's services for Johnny and Lechien eventually didn't sit well so I lost touch with him, but I owe a lot to him for teaching me to fish! In many situations in racing and in life, he was the most hands on person (outside of family) that equipped me for the rest of my career AND, when I got hurt and was talking about how I was gunna get better and walk his response to all of that was, "But what if you don't?" It took some time and pride swallowing, but I learned how to move on. He's very sharp and thinks ahead. There are many things I remember him saying, but I don't want to give it all away. I can just say that in those early years at Honda, Jeff's involvement and professionalism made me take things more serious and for that I'm grateful. He would still laugh and keep things fun, especially over Johnny's antics, but he was valuable imo at Honda and it was a real bummer to lose him.

I don't know what all Jeff got into since those days, but he was always very helpful to me. We called him Private Stock because not matter where we were, long flight, middle of nowhere testing etc. he always had the perfect thing to eat in his backpack.
mxmasta
Fantasy
814th
11/8/2016 2:28pm
David,

thanks for taking the time to take this picture with me in Maggiora. It was the icing on the cake for me after a great weekend of racing and a bad weekend for our Team Germany.

11/8/2016 3:34pm
mxmasta wrote:
David, thanks for taking the time to take this picture with me in Maggiora. It was the icing on the cake for me after a great...
David,

thanks for taking the time to take this picture with me in Maggiora. It was the icing on the cake for me after a great weekend of racing and a bad weekend for our Team Germany.

Ha! My pleasure masta. Your outfit was great. Would've loved to see Roczen race that track..
Bowmanator
11/10/2016 10:19am
As always you have excellent insight, and the answer's are greatly appreciated and interesting. I have a comment concerning the second time we saw you race pro which was at the June 1980 Atlanta International Raceway 250/500 national. It was so hot and humid that day. I remember you and Gary rolling into the pits that morning in a blue Toyota Celica, and the KX250's forks were attached to the rear bumper, while the front wheel was stored in the hatch back area with tools and gear. Gary had the shock removed with a solid strut in place while in commute, along with a road wheel mounted. We thought that was a very clever was to get to the race.
Bowmanator
11/12/2016 7:05am

By the way, here's a photo from 1979, and this past year I found the current owner of the bike who lives in southern Virginia.
Bowmanator
11/16/2016 12:00pm
David, I have another question if you have time and would like to answer. I'm wondering what if anything was difficult to adjust to the `80 KX250 coming from the Bultaco? Also, was there anytime during the `81 season you thought in `82 you'd be back on Kawi? By the way, this photo is 1980 at Metrolina in Charlotte, NC courtesy of former Cycle News editor Tom Muller. I assume this was a supercross or off weekend since you didn't race many sx races in `80?

Bowmanator
12/29/2016 8:11am
David, since no-one is jumping in with additional questions, I have another to ask if you don't mind. How helpful were the race videos Gary made, and did you study the riders in other classes, for example Mark Barnett in `81 and Danny Chandler in `82 too in-order to analyze their techniques? Also, how frequently did you study the film...after each race?

I remember a friend pointing out Gary's cameras to me before morning practice at the `80 Road Atlanta Trans USA final, and realized his set-up was really progressing by the `84 Six Flags national

Thanks again and Happy New Year to you and the fellow participants here on Vital MX.
12/30/2016 6:31am
mxmasta wrote:
David, thanks for taking the time to take this picture with me in Maggiora. It was the icing on the cake for me after a great...
David,

Ha! My pleasure masta. Your outfit was great. Would've loved to see Roczen race that track..
Great David! meet again after 30 years and 'was amazing! still I can not believe I was really very excited, and I think you can see from the picture I hope one Giono to come this time in California to come and see you!

bdlcks
12/30/2016 11:57am
Is it just me or was this really the best era ever. I could read these stories all day over and over
12/30/2016 1:12pm
bdlcks wrote:
Is it just me or was this really the best era ever. I could read these stories all day over and over
It's hard to describe to a youngster just how awesome the 80's were in moto. Waiting for that issue of mxa at the newsstand, and it usually had stories of a couple races plus gp stories. The pics were such awesome fuel for my 13 year old imagination! The bikes and riders were also the very best, but David Bailey just seemed like one of those laid back guys that could dominate without breaking a sweat. Those memories are bittersweet, because I can never go back and enjoy them again. It was truly the golden age, because of riders like David.
Bowmanator
12/5/2017 7:56am
Hi again David, I'm unsure if you're still following this forum, but if you are and have a moment it's much appreciated.

I'm wondering what your memory is from that winter of December 1982 leading into the `83 season? What was your confidence level, riding level, anything in general going on, and did you mainly ride that winter in Simi Valley or Southern Virginia? thanks
smezmx
1/17/2020 5:22am
Enjoyed reading this one again........top notch interview......Wink

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: David Bailey

The Latest