Vital MX Forum QNA: David Bailey

Related:
MikeD94
8/15/2016 5:24pm
Bonzai was sketchy off the start! I was so worried about going down that thing in a sandwich that I usually ended up holeshotting. I never...
Bonzai was sketchy off the start! I was so worried about going down that thing in a sandwich that I usually ended up holeshotting. I never took the outside at Webco. It was just one of those, letting your leg or arm hang off the bed at night type of things. Something could happen.. Nothing scared me that much outdoors except first turns and the Carlsbad downhill, but in SX there were some razor sharp doubles that Lechien or Warren Ried or somebody would grease at the end of practice and I'd be sweatin' it. There was a big double at the Rose Bowl in '83 and a quad jump at LA in '85. Those were a little scary, especially when you're heading into a heat and hadn't done 'em yet.

My first bike was a Schwinn Sting Ray ;-)
Then;
Yamaha 60cc mini enduro (I'm on it in that Lucas Oil commercial) - it shifted four down
Yamaha GT 80cc - it shifted four up, I think? I'm still mixed up..
Bultaco 100cc (lowered 125 pursang with a 100cc Lobito motor in it) - it shifted on the right side
Bultaco 125, 250 and by the time I was in the open class it was a 370
Kawasaki Uni-Trak 250 and a 420 for local races and practice - 1980
Kawasaki 250 (semi works stuff) in 1981. The first "Works" bike I ever rode was a 1981 Kawasaki. Fast and light!!
Then Honda. I got lucky and rode their epic works bikes from 1982 through 1985. 250's and 500's.
For practice bikes I would have two "stock" 250's, a 480, then 500 and I always had a 125 to keep sharp!

I never had an XR, but I did ride Gene McCay's Yamaha Nagucci (sp?) in Florida once at the mini olympics in the erly 70's. That thing revved like an old F1 car and felt like a 125 compared to my GT 80.

MX came easy for me. A gift from above. I had to work at it, but I could learn it and get good at it. Triathlon didn't come natural, plus I'm a baby in open water. All I can think of are snakes and sharks so it was hard to swim waaaaaay out there you know? I finally figured out how to swim with my legs and core giving me zero help, messing me up if anything. Once I got out of there alive the bike (handcycle) was a matter of just putting in the miles, getting to some hills, doing some speedwork. I've always been able to do that and I enjoy it. I rode 30 miles today. The race chair for the run segment took a while to figure out. Years in fact. That didn't come natural so to go 1:30 at Boston and win a few here and there was rewarding. Thinking back, they both took a lot of practice and experimenting and I did pretty good at both, but I was born to ride a motorcycle.

David,
The early bikes you mentioned sounds challenging with different shift patterns, etc! Also, I'm impressed that you still put in long miles.

I hope that you don't mind...I have more questions!

How long did it take for you to become faster than your dad the 'Professor' when you were growing up? How much input or influence did your dad have on your riding? Did you have any bad riding habits that you had to overcome? If so then what was it?

I'm curious to know since I did not see any faults when you came onto a pro scene and you made racing mx/sx look easy. Seemed no one had similar style as yours (and DeCoster's) until JMB came along.

Thanks for putting in the time here and most of all thanks for representing USA at MXDN's and USGP's!!
MikeD94
8/15/2016 5:29pm
langhammx wrote:
Motoxdoc- pretty cool story and some things were just meant to be. Cool
X2...what a coincidence and cool story!!
Ted722
8/15/2016 8:21pm
It was 1984 and I was 16. My soccer coach was into moto and I lived / breathed it. So, he scheduled a soccer tournament around a SX race! We came up to Sacramento from the San Jose area Sat. morning and played a couple games. Then, that night, took about half the team and went out to the Cal-Expo and watched Team Honda decimate the field. David Bailey lead the charge, O'Mara 2nd, Hannah 3rd. Can't tell you how the games went, but I remember the race!
8/15/2016 9:50pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2016 8:42pm
TeamGreen wrote:
David, It seems to me that you and Johnny were among the very 1st to get very (read: VERY) serious about training. Especially when it came...
David,

It seems to me that you and Johnny were among the very 1st to get very (read: VERY) serious about training. Especially when it came to "off track training" & dedicated endurance training. Most notably, I recall you guys doing it together. I think I remember you guys doing some running and bicycle races...if my memory isn't messing with me.

And, then, there's the "Relax and Win" era which really helped me learn to get good starts. Heck, I even remember going from just another guy responding to the gate falling and evolving into a rider that's seeing the gate as it falls...some of which you really helped with, conceptually, due to a question I was almost too embarrassed to ask in... '83? Your answer was along the lines of "I know it's hard; but, you've got to try to stay calm & you've got to focus on 'how' you get off the line". Funny, I'm sure that sounds obvious nowadays; but, it was cutting-edge at the time.

So, what I'm wondering is: as someone who was at the forefront of serious training for the sole purpose of being a better Motocross/Supercross racer, what do you think about most modern MX/SX training "mentalities" or the popular concepts at the top of the sport?

What are your feelings about "over-training"?

What are your thoughts on the modern nutrition concepts or the diets pro-athletes utilize?

Oh, and...what about "Recovery" (post race)?

Hope all is well for you and yours,

Manny
Hi Manny. I want to give credit to Lackey, Hannah, Broc, Barnett, Ward who were in excellent shape among the popular names and also as I mentioned before Steve Martin, Kris Bigelow and also Gary Pustelak and Tommy Benolkin to name some more amoung riders that may not have won titles but took training VERY serious. Johnny began after he led much of Hangtown on the Mugen and got tired. He knew he had to be fit to hang with Barnett and Broc. Once I signed with Honda and saw Hansen and Johnny really training (Johnny had 3 years worth of training logs each with over a 1,000 miles of running by then) I decided I better get with it. Because of Johnny and I being friends and doing well at the time and maybe goofing off here and there, we got a lot of press for training so it appeared as though we led the charge. We did train hard, Johnny more than me, but those other guys were gnarly!

That RAW method was a nice and really ambitious guy who kept on me until I was like fine, give it to me I'll try it.. then leave me alone I'm trying to concentrate ;-) In retrospect I think it was helpful to just find a place to be alone for a bit to collect my thoughts and mentally prepare rather just walking around thinking a million things and all the sudden your heading to the starting line a little scattered. It was goofy, but it was effective at the time. I would try almost anything - even sheepskin arm warmers..

I think riders are to quick to just hand the keys to a trainer/coach. Those guys can be helpful, but the rider really has to think it through and have goals (short and long term) on paper before he starts getting told to shift his weight here of there or look further ahead or keep his leg up. What do you want out of the sport? When do you want to achieve those goals by? What riders inspire you currently - or from the past? If an 8th grader can immitate all the presidential candidates during his graduation speech and get invited to the tonight show, a rider ought to be able to experiment with things they see their favorite riders doing. So get specific, draw up some plans and get to work. THEN, if you feel you need some assistance, seek somebody who understands your goals and is sincere about helping you reach them. These days with GoPros and races on TV and Youtube, you can figure anything out if you want it bad enough.

Over training? Pfffffffff. lol.

Nutrition? I ate whatever. Even when I did the Ironman I ate whatever. If you're Michael Phelps, Chris Froome or Insane "fast" Bolt, you gotta watch what you eat. It's you and some swimming goggles and shoes and a lane! Tht's it. No getting stuck behind people, different lines etc. For Froome, climbing is where the rubber really meets the road and weight doesn't go uphill. In motocross you'll see riders who are sick do fine which partially proves that it takes so much skill to ride and chose when to pass, when to push it and when to use a better line that you can eat french toast and pop tarts and you'll be fine. Diet is important, don't get me wrong. Control what you can, but remember when you hit the road which is every week, you're eating what they have which is the southwest sandwich roll and lays chips or who knows? It's hard to eat healthy on the road. I placed my riding above my diet. If I was super lean and looked fit in the mirror but wasn't riding well, I wasn't competitive. MC, RC, even RV were all a little bit heavy and not that into their diet or training it seemed, but they rode great! Eat smart, take vitamins and utilize drinks/shakes that have most of what you're looking for in them. Hop on the internet and educate yourself and ask questions!

Recovery? Sleep as often as you can. Cat naps. Everytime you doze off, you're resting and restoring stuff. Of course protein repairs tissue, but give your body full rest as well as good food, probably the most important time for good food or as my friend told me, "building materials" is before bed. Also pay attention to your body. If you feel tired, take it easy. Either that or eat! MX bikes go nowhere without fuel and we're the same.

The Shop

Skidaddle
8/15/2016 9:55pm
David, since you've raced all bore sizes, what do you think of Daniel Blair's idea of dumping 450s, and all the fast guys racing on 250s, or maybe 350s, just like when the 500 open bikes went away?

(His thoughts are very few can ride a 450 to its potential (like You, Dogger, RJ, Stanton, Bradshaw, a few others), and that too many guys are hurt, and/or are so far back the racing sucks as they are more or less surviving and not racing.
And it's no secret these 450s throw you down hard and like to come back and pound you into the ground some more.

I would think we would need an entry class being maybe 125s.

Surely the top guys would be wringing out 250s/350s, and now skill, line choice, technique, and strategy would just make for a better more exciting show as the 250s are already and it would better for fans Instead of watching most the class hanging on for dear life.
Thoughts?
8/15/2016 10:26pm
jasonv43 wrote:
Ok I've got 3 for you. 1. What young riders do you see coming through the ranks that you think will be the next big thing...
Ok I've got 3 for you.

1. What young riders do you see coming through the ranks that you think will be the next big thing? Webb? J Mart? Forkner?

2. What are your thoughts on guys like Dungey, Roczen, Tomac, Musquin and how they have elevated their game / the sport?

3. Stewart - Is he being too stubborn and should he walk away at this point or should he keep trying? No athlete really ever wants to be forced to walk away and they all want to go out on top. But can he do it?

And like others have said. You and Art Eckman were absolutely the best!!!
Webb already is established, but young Forkner is impressive. I think a lot of us saw it coming and it's really neat when a kid you think will do well does. I like the way those two ride. Forkner has a little spice and Webb is just smart. Both of 'em do subtle things that tell me they totally "get it!"

Dungey has been compared to me a few times or the other way around. I see that and it's a compliment. I also see a little Stanton in him. Just gets the job done.

Tomac is who I was rooting for since the 243 days and I was a fan of his dad, but it seemed to go off the rails. He should have a couple more titles by now as good as he is, or maybe I should say as "fast" as he is (imo). I hope he gets it on track. Southwick was awesome. Railing around Marvin at Washougal was so good. I rewound and watched that a few times! He can win at any time.

Marvin (not just because he's from France) reminds me of DV. Same incredible skill, but patchy when it comes to being real gritty like Hannah or RJ or RC. I was the same way so I can see it. It's hard to push the edge when it's not your strength. His skill level though is off the charts. He's also a really nice guy.

Roczen I struggled with. I liked his style and personality right away and wanted to see him win. Then he seemed to cave in, when as a fan I thought he should just pin it! But he's totally earned my respect, not just recently. His ability is on par with what 'ole 259 used to do. Crazy good, lightning fast and stylish.

Stewart has done plenty in the sport. One of the best and most exciting riders ever. Maybe he still could win, but he's been there done that so it'll be hard to go to that well again against younger hungier riders I think. It's probably hard to step down now so he might scare himself into some more wins. That would be cool. C'mon James!

They have all brought something that has elevated the pace and made it worth watching after all these years.

Thanks. Art was great! If it hadn't been for him I'd have been all over the place. He was a good host and a good friend. One person I wish I could've worked with is Larry Maiers. He helped us in the 80's with good questions, kept us relaxed and got the whole Motoworld thing legitimized. Art and I came along at just the right time after the ball was rollin' and it was a blast!
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
8/15/2016 11:34pm
Hi David ! No questions for you but wanted to share a funny memory (for us anyway) Remember when you did a riding school at Carlsbad several years ago ? You had us practicing different techniques on different parts of the track then after awhile said "Ok go do a lap" So we all take off hauling ass ready to try our new found speed secrets. We did a lap, came flying around the horseshoe turn, looked up and there you were on your quad in the middle of the track, we all slammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop about 2 feet before we plowed into you, it was the only time I heard you raise your voice all day "HEEYYY STOP !!!" "ALL YOU GUYS NEED TO RAISE YOUR VISORS AND LOOK DOWN THE TRACK !!!! " You seemed genuinely concerned and somewhat pissed, haha, lesson learned ! I always try to look ahead now. Sorry man glad we missed you. Thanks again for a fun day we'll never forget. Cool
JB 19
8/16/2016 1:55am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 6:12am
Hey David, awesome of you to do this. I was a kid in the 80's and the names like Bailey, Johnson and O'mara have always been like iconic, bigger than life names to me.

I have a question that I would understand if you have no desire to touch is totally fine, but if you could go back to the start of your career and walk away with never winning a single pro race and without your injury would you do it and just work a normal job or would you still travel the road that you have with all of the experiences and accomplishments, but with the injury in 87'?

I have two boys who are 7 and nearly 5 who ride and race and I wrestle all the time with letting them race, but I also remember what it was like when I grew up racing and traveling with my family and how much fun we had.

This thread will have to go down in history as one of the most all time greats. Thanks David.
ns503
8/16/2016 4:40am
This is the most awesome thread I have ever read on the entire Interwebs.

A thousand thanks for this!
gt80rider
8/16/2016 5:20am
No question, just wanna say awesome thread and the Yamaha gt80 was a fine bike to learn on back in the day. Smile
Flip109
8/16/2016 7:46am
I didn't start following sx/mx until 93-94 so I had just missed out on you David. But over the years I've read so many stories and seen so many pics of you. I wish I had been watching and riding in the 80's as a kid. I can tell from all I read and hear that it was the Golden era of MX. You sure would have been my hero growing up! I can tell you have a awesome personality and I loved reading through this thread. Much respect and best wishes in all that you do!
Voyager
8/16/2016 9:57am
No question…just reminiscing…I was at your track in Axton in ’86 (?) when you wrapped up the 500cc title. Think you battled Wardy all day? Anyway…I was diagnosed with cancer shortly afterwards and I remember, like it was yesterday, sitting in quarantine in the cancer ward, writing you a “get well soon“ note. Your courage helped me battle on...pushing me through the “why me” phase and into the “attack it head on” phase. Thanks brother.
sende
Fantasy
4455th
8/16/2016 12:32pm
This is hands down the best thread ever.
Thank you!!!
robkinuk
8/17/2016 12:40am
Bump, just in case anyone missed this as a sticky.
Grab a coffee for the best moto education you will get from a great champion!
smezmx
8/17/2016 4:22am
Found some more memory jogging (and hopefully cool) pics.maybe david could tell us a bit about one or two if it's not too late? The wrangler clothing advert with ron lechien seems kinda funny and i like the last one from the first paris supercross in 84.which david won incidently.

Myke
Fantasy
2887th
8/17/2016 7:31am
Thanks for sticking on here and answering more questions!
8/17/2016 9:02am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2016 10:15am
smezmx wrote:
Found some more memory jogging (and hopefully cool) pics.maybe david could tell us a bit about one or two if it's not too late? The wrangler...
Found some more memory jogging (and hopefully cool) pics.maybe david could tell us a bit about one or two if it's not too late? The wrangler clothing advert with ron lechien seems kinda funny and i like the last one from the first paris supercross in 84.which david won incidently.

I always enjoy looking through photos, especially ones I forgot about or haven't seen.

That first one with Gina is right after I won the Anaheim SX in '86. We're both pretty stoked. Such a relief after a funky '85 racing season.

The cover - I was stoked to be on one, but thinking, wear a face mask next time! I think I'm on a 480 in that photo

The bar dragger shot - Gina took that one at Binghampton! I chased Broc in the first moto and snuck by right there at the bottom of the downhill. This is during the second moto and as the laps winded down Broc picked it up and we were flying down that hill. A spectator said to Gina who had a camera around her neck, "if you want to get a good picture, Bailey is gunna get him right here this time." She pointed the camera at the corner and I went for it again, but as soon as I went by Broc gassed it some more, then I gassed it a tad more and we were both coming in way to hot! As I was scrubbing it off into that little rut I figured I'd just lay it down and maybe still have time to pick it up and stay pretty close since Broc was headed out so wide, but I somehow saved it and made the pass. One of those days.

The Bultaco picture - Tht's Rolling Hills in NC. My first year pro. Must have been a good sized local race or something. I rode there a lot as amatuer with guys like Barry Palmer, Chuck Sneed, Tim Sexton, Ricky Shearer and Rusty Reynolds.

That Bultaco one in the sand is of Gary at Daytona in '73 - I think.

First Fox photo shoot. Dork!

The white gear picture is from the 1982 Switzerland 500cc Des Nations. I'm searching for some cushion. About a 3rd of the track was gnarly rocky and JT had that V-2000. I knew it was against my Fox deal, but I went over there last minute without any gear. I had to have something, so I put a Fox sticker on the front and ran it. In the second moto I went across the finish line in 2nd and about 50 yards behind Magoo who wheelied across. People closed in on the track as he did it and in doing so sweeping all 4 motos! I had great view of all of that. Gibson flatted and Johnny who already had a shot in his hand for terrible blisters (infected maybe) broke his foot that moto. Good thing Danny won I was second. Danny carried O'Show to the podium and was in rare form. Fun times!

That holshot at Gaildorf was the biggest of my career! 63 riders on the gate in the new one race Des Nations format. You can see the starting gate way back there by those white tents. I thought I was in control, but Thorpe went by pretty quick

The picture of Thorpe, me right behind him and Ward right behind us is the same corner a few laps later. Besides Thorpe showing his skill, I was doubly feeling out matched by Ward "catching" us both on his 250!

The picture of Johnny, me and Thorpe is at Maggriora and Johnny's infamous ride on the 125. You can tell from Thorpes body language that it didn't go like the year before.

That last picture from Paris 1986 and I don't know what I'm doing there, but I look a little cocky. I had some downtime in the pits so I drew that Taichi logo on to my bib with a felt marker. What I remember about nights 2 and 3 was seeing Micky Dymond in the lobby and going to a little italian place before we headed to the stadium. When the check came I was like, I got it! I won that night and I think he got 2nd. The next day Micky said, do you wanna go to that place again? Yes! When the check came Micky reached for it and said, I got it! He won that night and I think I got 2nd. He was blitzing some steam rolled whoops there like nobody else and riding great. Gina was with me and as I was signing some autographs afterwards, I get this one thing to sign and I see a Gina Bailey signature.. I paused and looked up to see Gina out in the crowd looking at me shrugging her shoulders and pointing to a guy like, he wanted me to sign it.. Funny.

Frodad78
8/17/2016 9:11am
David I hope you pop in every now and then to give us your thoughts on racing and on anything else Moto!

Thanks again for doing this, its been awesome.
smezmx
8/17/2016 9:33am
Cool txs so much.great detail in your reply's and a such very down to earth guy.one thing for sure you still have all your marbles ! Wink we as fans could'nt ask for anymore.
scotearl
8/17/2016 9:56am
Hi David!

This is my favorite thread of all time!

Though a life-long fan of motocross, my closest personal connection to you came through corporate America. I was working as a sales rep for EMC when you came and spoke at one of our annual global sales meetings. Probably in Boston, but I'm not sure as it moved around from year to year. I think it was relatively soon after your epic ironman victory making it early 2000s. At any rate, your story brought the house down! Thank you so much for being such an inspiration!

For those who don't know the ironman story, here's a very well-written version of it:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2009/10/features/david-bailey-collision…

As others have said, I REALLY wish you'd find your way back to the booth. Your commentary and perspective were the best ever.
8/17/2016 10:09am
Frodad78 wrote:
David I hope you pop in every now and then to give us your thoughts on racing and on anything else Moto! Thanks again for doing...
David I hope you pop in every now and then to give us your thoughts on racing and on anything else Moto!

Thanks again for doing this, its been awesome.
Glad to do it and glad you guys enjoyed it.

Right now I'm thinking pretty hard about Jesse Nelson.. Lets keep him and his family in prayer!

My thoughts: Here's to hoping this nonsense with so many ruts ends and they leave things more natural and hard packed so they quit forming. They're dangerous, not fun and not motocross! That corner for example used to just be loamy and near impossible to crash like that. Even when it was wet and had a deep mushy berm/rut it was more forgiving. I sincerely apologize if this is viewed as too soon or in poor taste, I don't mean harm by it, but rather that an important lesson is learned here. I've seen this coming! Those who know me well have heard me warn about it. There are many opinions and I respect that, but I wanted to offer mine. That last race I attended was Denver last year when Tomac went down hard in ridiculous ruts. From what I could tell Dungey lost his balance in those ruts this year. STOP with the ruts! Do everything you can to prevent them from forming to this degree. I realize people will crash weird no matter what, but the odds are higher in conditions like this. I raced Unadilla 6-times in all kinds of conditions, rain, hot etc. and never saw ruts like those. It's been overly rutted for a while now - since Burne blew out his leg in one while leading. It's not just Unadilla either. This isn't an attack on anyone or blame, just to pease think about it, whoever reads this or shares it. The question should be asked, how do we get away from having such deep, tacky, long ruts from forming? Less water? Less extra dirt? Flatten them out a little more often in places "In case" they begin forming? It seems they haul in dirt to make it nice and soft, covering rocks or something, then water it and prep it and it invites ruts. Just my observation. If this entire thread ends up helping prevent more life altering crashes, then I'm glad to be able to say something. It isn't about me, it's about the current and next generations being able to compete at motocross without being forced into negotiating such a high degree of getting caught off balance in unecessary ruts and suffering a blow like this.

- David
8/17/2016 10:37am
scotearl wrote:
Hi David! This is my favorite thread of all time! Though a life-long fan of motocross, my closest personal connection to you came through corporate America...
Hi David!

This is my favorite thread of all time!

Though a life-long fan of motocross, my closest personal connection to you came through corporate America. I was working as a sales rep for EMC when you came and spoke at one of our annual global sales meetings. Probably in Boston, but I'm not sure as it moved around from year to year. I think it was relatively soon after your epic ironman victory making it early 2000s. At any rate, your story brought the house down! Thank you so much for being such an inspiration!

For those who don't know the ironman story, here's a very well-written version of it:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2009/10/features/david-bailey-collision…

As others have said, I REALLY wish you'd find your way back to the booth. Your commentary and perspective were the best ever.
That was the Hilton resort on the Kohala Coast north of Kona in 2001. Gina was like, you should do more of THESE! She got in that lagoon with dolphins, we got a helicopter ride and I rode 4 days in a row to downtown Kona and back. Long rides each morning reliving all the races there. We were having a blast, but I was pretty nervous about speaking to such a large room of the companys best reps. Small world. I still have that big blue beach towel
brimx153
8/17/2016 10:45am
David i could not agree more with you . These rutty tracks have to stop . in europe they went like that for a few year s .Now they are alot different , and guess what the racing is 100 time better too . The tracks are less dangeous to .with all the ruts on the straights . I also agree all these ruts is nt motocross . tracks back in the day use to be hard pack bumpy as hell but not slot car racing . It makes the track so one lined and boring . I dont get why people give out about hard pack tracks . WE RACE FOUR STROKES NOW, hard pack on four strokes is easy .you can just roll on the power . Back in the day its was soooooooooo much harder to ride hard pack tracks on a two stroke . and no one gave out about it . I agree they should do every thing they can to get rid of ruts on the straight s . WHY have them all it does is produce bad racing and danger .
sandman768
8/17/2016 11:10am
Epic thread! Totally nailed the Unadilla track prep... Also makes the track very one lined...I would not rip/disc so deep, reseed after the Vintage race in the spring & watch the grass grow. When the national rolls around in August the grass will be high & the riders can form the track like it used to be, big loamy berms & a wide, rough track. I"m no track owner but I think " less is more" here. There is a photo from a year or 2 ago showing someone standing in the deep ruts in a straightaway at Unadilla, who wants to ride that? It has injuries written all over it.
therealhammer
8/18/2016 10:25pm
This David QNA could not have come at a better time in the sport. With all that is going on internally in the sport and on this website: Supercross schedule expanding led by guys in some office in Tampa/Corona, displacement discussions and the 2 stroke making a comeback and track saftey, how has no one contact David to be a voice of reason in these conversations? He is the perfect mixture of passion and reason while not being obsessed with his era as the best era of racing ( even though it might of have been). He clearly respects progression and the riders of today and seems to have his compass pointing the right directions on a lot of conversations. The idea that these guys aren't knocking down his door and paying him for his insight is truly a huge miss calculation from the sport and might be a little insight on why there is some much contention in the direction of the sport we love.

I have worked with David on ideas/events and it goes without saying how incredible he is. I felt honored to have his opinions on my projects and his insight was a huge value.

Thanks DB

- Hammer
Bowmanator
8/20/2016 4:25pm Edited Date/Time 8/20/2016 4:44pm
Hi David, thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions, and it's VERY interesting. I have so many memories of you on the track I don't even know where to begin. First of all, I'm wondering what your memories are of racing at Montrose, NC in `79, the sand track owned by the Sheets family. Last, but not least, what are your memories of the fall 1979 "Super Motocross" Gary put on at Lake Sugar Tree? I was there and remember you led Tony D on the Can Am until a few laps from the end...your chain tensioner fell off during the final, and was that your last race on the Bultaco? Thank you so much.

8/20/2016 5:07pm
Bowmanator wrote:
Hi David, thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions, and it's VERY interesting. I have so many memories of you on...
Hi David, thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions, and it's VERY interesting. I have so many memories of you on the track I don't even know where to begin. First of all, I'm wondering what your memories are of racing at Montrose, NC in `79, the sand track owned by the Sheets family. Last, but not least, what are your memories of the fall 1979 "Super Motocross" Gary put on at Lake Sugar Tree? I was there and remember you led Tony D on the Can Am until a few laps from the end...your chain tensioner fell off during the final, and was that your last race on the Bultaco? Thank you so much.

I loved Montrose. I just found a stack of photos from there with Timmy Walker and that tall guy on the Yamaha that was really good at 3-wheelers or 4-wheels - Steve Mendenhall I think ?? The track was fun, the family atmosphere was cool and I had some good races there that helped my confidence. Ricky Shearer and Tim Sexton who raced there were just out here in Ca on business and I met with Tim, but just missed Ricky.

I forgot about the Super Motocross thing. Your memory is better than mine. I doubt Tony and I were happy with our equipment right about then.. I couldn't believe I was even racing with him! I watched him from the #17 CZ days all the way through his Hall of Fame career including plenty of times there at Sugar Tree. I rode there at different times with riders I really looked up to and it was sureal. Once with Rich Eirsteadt in '77, that time with Tony D in '79, one time in 1980 with Bob Hannah who was just coming back from his year off. He did a race at Anderson SC and then came to our place to ride before heading to Mid Ohio for the first round of the Trans USA that fall, which marked his first official race back, and then in 1983 Marty Tripes came back to a 4-day school with Mike Goodwin who was trying to get Marty fit so he could promote a comeback. It was really interesting and such a privilage to ride with those guys and it dawned on me each time, I wasn't to bad myself. At any of those times if somebody had said, "I'll bet you end up buying this place someday and hold a national and win it" - I'd have thought they were dreaming
Bowmanator
8/20/2016 6:21pm
One more comment if I may, I forgot to mention we were standing at the finish line during the last lap of the final `80 Trans USA support moto at Road Atlanta and knew this was the beginning of even greater things to come. I also for got to mention a good friend of mine for 40 years here in Hickory NC constantly talks to me about the weekend at the `76 Axton Trans AMA when you and him walked the track that Friday evening with Danny Laporte, then you took my buddy Robert into the Cycle Barn to see all the cool stuff. Thanks again

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: David Bailey

The Latest