Vital MX Forum QNA: David Bailey

Related:
8/12/2016 4:19pm
David, My wife left me for another man, and one of the first things I did was hang my framed Paul Buckley picture of you at...
David,

My wife left me for another man, and one of the first things I did was hang my framed Paul Buckley picture of you at the 1986 Daytona supercross on my living room wall. No one was around to tell me no and four years later, it's still there. Everyone who sees it, loves it and so do I. I have to say that you were my childhood idol and continued to inspire me with your positive outlook on life before and after your injury.

My question is what are your thoughts regarding the current era of U.S. riders who don't seem as eager or willing to race the MXoN? RV skipped it a few years, Dungey another year, etc. Also, what are your thoughts on the last few losses at the MXoN? Thanks for taking the time to do this.
I'm sorry to hear that Jimmy..

Yes, Buckley captured a great shot! Last year of works bikes, the stands in the background... one of my favorites too.

My thoughts on current riders... I'm not out there now and I don't have all the facts but I, like many of you I'm sure, wish these kids understood the privilage and the honor and felt the responsibility to show up when their country asks and go represent to the absolute best of their ability! I got paid nothing, sacrificed the time, my body and nerves and emotions and met the pressure head on to try to win for the USA and my teammates and crew who worked behind the scenes. Times are just different now, these kids don't understand history or care that much. I'm not even sure it's their fault. It's understandable because there are so many distractions nd things these guys are asked to do, but I never saw it that way. I didn't see it as a hassle, I saw it as an opportunity to learn and grow as a rider and to see a plce and a track I'd never seen and it was always worth it. If these guys really truly loved to ride and race and loved their country and the privilage to make a good living riding, then it seems like a no brainer. You go and you find a way to win! Period

Their losses are in my opinion because if you don't take it serious enough the Europeas WILL beat you. We didn't always send our best teams, but we still won a lot because we took it serious! I've heard way to many excuses like, it's sandy, or it was their home track, or the crowd was crazy. Big deal, get starts, ride your heart out and bring home the trophy! In a culture where everybody gets a trophy though, I suppose it's not that important :-/
kiwifan
8/12/2016 4:27pm
I'm sorry to hear that Jimmy.. Yes, Buckley captured a great shot! Last year of works bikes, the stands in the background... one of my favorites...
I'm sorry to hear that Jimmy..

Yes, Buckley captured a great shot! Last year of works bikes, the stands in the background... one of my favorites too.

My thoughts on current riders... I'm not out there now and I don't have all the facts but I, like many of you I'm sure, wish these kids understood the privilage and the honor and felt the responsibility to show up when their country asks and go represent to the absolute best of their ability! I got paid nothing, sacrificed the time, my body and nerves and emotions and met the pressure head on to try to win for the USA and my teammates and crew who worked behind the scenes. Times are just different now, these kids don't understand history or care that much. I'm not even sure it's their fault. It's understandable because there are so many distractions nd things these guys are asked to do, but I never saw it that way. I didn't see it as a hassle, I saw it as an opportunity to learn and grow as a rider and to see a plce and a track I'd never seen and it was always worth it. If these guys really truly loved to ride and race and loved their country and the privilage to make a good living riding, then it seems like a no brainer. You go and you find a way to win! Period

Their losses are in my opinion because if you don't take it serious enough the Europeas WILL beat you. We didn't always send our best teams, but we still won a lot because we took it serious! I've heard way to many excuses like, it's sandy, or it was their home track, or the crowd was crazy. Big deal, get starts, ride your heart out and bring home the trophy! In a culture where everybody gets a trophy though, I suppose it's not that important :-/
Best reply ever on the current MXdN debacle, thanks David!!! Smile

David, there have been a lot of comments around the current SX format and the perception that the organisers will move the a NASCAR-like chase format, what are your views on this?
8/12/2016 4:41pm
Thx for doing this DB- ..Hope you know you've been an inspiration for many, many superfans. *From your perspective, name your top three riders, that you've...
Thx for doing this DB-

..Hope you know you've been an inspiration for many, many superfans.

*From your perspective, name your top three riders, that you've raced, that were sorely under-rated, and just had plain bad luck, but had the talent be a champion.

I think of riders like Steve Martin and Kris Bigelow right off the bat. I'm sure I'll think of others later, but I learned a lot from them. Chris was in great shape, new his bike, took things serious and could get starts. He was (is) smart too!
Steve was actually the first rider I'm aware of who did a pretty major triathlon in Fla. and was good at everything. Racquetball, fuggettaboutit! Golf, don't bet against him.. ask Jojo. Boxing, be prepared to get hit and never get a punch in! During the Winter Am on a 125 Yamaha he would somehow at 6'3" make it look cool and missed damn near every braking bump out there. I really learned a lot from him and had fun riding with him. I think about him a lot and hope he's doing well. And I hope Kris' brother Kip is doing well.

A 3rd guy? It seems Bradshaw could've won more and hung around longer. I don't judge him on why or even really know why, but when he left, I lost interest for a while. I saw a kid who was great get labeled "The Beast from the East!" I'm not sure that was accurate. He was so good and I really hated seeing him get into on-track fights and nicknamed something that didn't really fit. His amatuer career, his first national at Millville, his first SX in Japan, his first SX in America (SD) he won his heat and was on the box in the main and then Miami... dammit, I think he had more and I'm not sure he was was handled/advised right, but he was awesome while he was out there!
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
8/12/2016 4:53pm
This has been the best QNA yet.

Thanks for doing this David, you've always been one of my favorite riders to watch, announce, and just get your perspective on things.

The Shop

8/12/2016 5:10pm
Adam43 wrote:
Hi David, Odd question, but if the terrible injury had never happened, how long do you think you would have continued? I can picture you as...
Hi David,

Odd question, but if the terrible injury had never happened, how long do you think you would have continued? I can picture you as the smooth Vet taking on the upstarts Bradshaw and McGrath and giving them all you they could handle. Surely you would still have been the guy to beat on the 500.

What are your thoughts on PEDs, were you aware of them during your era, and how widespread do you feel their use is currently?

The sport has missed your voice, sir. Thank you for doing this.
I was thinking of racing a couple more years in the US and then going to Europe. So I would've been done by 1990-91. I wanted to try the 500cc GP's, live in Europe, learn another language, learn more about history and end my career where my first look at it came from. Joel Roberts and Roger DeCoster! There are other greats like Mikkola, Hallman, Johnson, Weil, but Joel and Roger were it for me. Stories about them from my dad Gary who spent some time with them or around them fascinated me and it just made sense for so many reasons to pack up with Gina and head to Europe and figure it out. Going out with a 500cc World Title was what I had my eye on, then I wanted to somehow do that Ironman thing and start a family

I don't know about all of that or what would even work for motocross. It's such a skill based sport (or used to be) that I don't really know what to make of it. I'm sure riders have done or are doing stuff, but I don't know what. My biggest fear was lifting weights and getting stronger and then pumping up. We all wanted to be as flexible and lose as possible. If it came down to getting tired, then it was usually heat index related or longer GP or Des Nations motos. That could be fixed by riding more, running longer or just riding better and picking better lines. It never even occured to me to find some speed in a drug when I raced. It was just a choice between lime or orange gatorade. Now, I suppose there are many flavors .. It sucks to think riders feel they need it. It messed up cycling, it messes up a lot of sports, but it's the world we live in.
8/12/2016 5:21pm
machine wrote:
Hi David, do you think we have lost our edge to the GP riders because we aren't as tough anymore or have easier tracks or are...
Hi David, do you think we have lost our edge to the GP riders because we aren't as tough anymore or have easier tracks or are they just better overall right now?., what's your take on it.

Thanks
Yes we have. It seems they have more variety and that produces better riding skill and they aren't messing around with Supercross. Supercross has it's place and is fine, but when your focus is on that, and then outdoors, you're going to get challenged or beat by riders who specialize in outdoors.
8/12/2016 5:43pm Edited Date/Time 8/20/2016 4:24pm
Hey David, Thanks for doing this. I have to ask about Budds Creek 2003 when you saw James do his scrub for the first time. I...
Hey David,
Thanks for doing this. I have to ask about Budds Creek 2003 when you saw James do his scrub for the first time. I remember in the broadcast you had said you completely lost your train of thought when you saw him do it. What went through your head when you saw that? Did you have a "why didn't I think of that?" moment or did it just seem too crazy when you saw it for the first time? I have loved watching the older coverage from when James was just starting out because your comments about him and his riding techniques were always priceless and you did an excellent job of explaining everything.

Thanks
Thanks. He was so exciting and always delivered with something. It was cool to see all the 250 guys (except RC) stay after their practice to watch James just waiting for that mind blowing set of laps with some triple nobody thought of or thought couldn't be done on a 125. He brought so much, as did RC and Pastrana.

On the Budds Creek thing I was just sitting in a sound booth laying down voice with Art (I think it was Art) and sort of looking at my watch to make sure I'm going to make my flight, figuring James is going to catch everybody and waiting my turn to add something colorful and then WHAT THE...? I didn't expect that. I was caught off gaurd by him going so far beyond the pre-jump lay it over thing. That was a marker in the sport for sure. More like a slice

Later when he got on the 250 at Budds Creek - I think Ricky was leading on a 4-stroke - James came out of that next right hander way back there heading towards the big drop off and hit the first breaking bump and jumped the whole messed up rutted, bumpy sawdust downhill take off and barely missed the lip and kept on flying all the way to where everyone else was landing. It was the sketchiest, gnarliest, thing I've ever seen him do. He came at it really fast, couple blips and then braaaap! He was leaving the ground a good 30 feet before the take off and if he missed.. Catastrophic!
sgthubbard#60
8/12/2016 5:44pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2016 5:46pm
Mr Bailey,

Just wanted to say thank you. Best stories and viewpoints I've EVER read on here. You are an inspiration to us in more ways than you can imagine. So thank you!
8/12/2016 6:07pm
newmann wrote:
It's me again. I've always enjoyed collecting a little bit of moto memorabilia along the way and had heard on more than one occasion that you...
It's me again. I've always enjoyed collecting a little bit of moto memorabilia along the way and had heard on more than one occasion that you had given away most every piece of riding gear you ever owned to fans at one point or another throughout your career. Literally kept nothing for yourself because things were rocking and rolling. Of course things changed with your injury. Fast forward to your benefit auction back in 2006 and I recall a number of people from all over the world actually returned items you had given them to be auctioned off. I thought that was such a cool gesture by some of your fans especially your old MXdN helmet. I remember that fetched a cool ten grand. Since then, have you gotten any of your items back from other fans? Is there any one piece of memorabilia that you would really like to have back?

I'm proud to say I played a small part in a bike project a friend of mine did for the auction, Quite a few people donated items, paint work being mine on a Honda XR75 that nearly fetched the top price of the night. Good times, good people and a great cause. Hoping your health is doing well!

I did land this very cool autographed poster someone had put together for that evening outlining your career.

Thanks again for coming over.

Thank you for your contribution to that! I have one of those posters too ;-) Tim Nash got all that together.

The Des Nations helmet (one of them) was donated by Johnny O and it was the helmet he wore in Italy! Ludo and Marc bidded on it and got it and I see it when I visit them at 100%. So nice of Johnny to do that! Andrew Short bought mine. I was overwhelmed with how people responded and supported me and that whole event. I was face down in bed with elbow pads cuz I was getting sores on them from being prone for so long and I could sense the vibe from my bedroom. I'll always be grateful for the way that went down. And the riders who taught that school at Cahuilla. Millsaps, my dad and Short (I think) Pastrana and RJ, Alessi and Vuillemin, MC, O'Show and Ryno, that was really cool. I talked to McGrath after that and he said he'd never really taught before and it was fun and that he never had so much dirt all over him :-) That made all the difference for me and Gina and the kids and got me back and pointed in the right direction!

I don't ever want anything back, but sometimes people offer in a way tht I'll just accept it with thanks. Last year Michael Holligan sent me my 1984 JT open face helmet. Complete surprise. If I had thought of something that would be cool to have or just to look at again, that ranks way up there. I have a surprise for him if I ever get off my butt and send it...

Most recently, our AMA guy from the Maggiora, Italy trip, Ned Redway said I gave him my jersey from the final moto that day and he has enjoyed it all these years and thought I should have it. We'll see, but I'm going to try and meet with him and check it out. That's a good one too!

8/12/2016 6:30pm
langhammx wrote:
David, I've been lucky enough to spend some time around you in the past and have huge respect for your racing career and how you've adapted...
David,
I've been lucky enough to spend some time around you in the past and have huge respect for your racing career and how you've adapted to your life after MX. I always wanted to ask you what was going through your mind the day you got onto Ricky James bike for the first time. I know that journey caused you some problems from the crash you took, but describe the feeling you had when you circled the track for the first time.

I grew up in Canyon Country and lived a block away from the House that Donnie Hansen bought when he was married to Lisa Petty. Johnny lived with him and they used to ride the hills behind my parents house which was all hills with some really gnarly road jumps and stuff that only they could ride. Did you ever make it out to ride with them back then, it was a lot like Hondaland ? It was '81-'83ish... I remember Chuck Sun bringing a hacky sack over and they would play for hours on front of the house. Other than a LOT riding and a LOT of running, that's about the extent of their training back then. No trainers, No riding coaches... ;-)
I was just up in Santa Clarita Tuesday. Rode bikes with a friend and recognized a hill where Donnie lived with Lisa. He asked me if I wanted to stay there the week before the 1982 LA Coliseum SX and I was shy, didn't know him that well but I wasn't going to say no. He's a funny guy! I went running with him (I wasn't a runner, but I wasn't gunna say no) and we went down a long hill on trails and every step I took, I thought s--t, we have to run all the way back? Then it finished up a long hill he called, Mount Mother ---- ! Then he took me riding and you know the areas I'm sure. One spot we had to jump the fence then we went along the railroad tracks and he did a really gnarly but cool climb where without much of run he doubled the tracks and brapp'd straight up a cliff full of erosion and floated right to the top perfect. I was like that was trick! Wait, do I have to do that? I wasn't gunna say no, so braap! Perfect. I followed him over by Mouse McCoy's dad's place and checked out their track all the while wondering, how are we gunna get back over tht fence? It was an eye opening week! No wonder he won both titles that year! He wrapped up the SX that weekend and I got my first ever podium in 3rd. I could see that I was going to have to step it up if I expected to be that caliber of a rider. Johnny was the same. Trained every day. Not long after that Donnie was injured in Germany and it's always bummed me out. He was right at his peak, or was he? He likely would've kept on going the same way many feel I would've. At least we both earned it, got a taste and went out near the top.
mark1960
8/12/2016 6:50pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2016 8:47pm
newmann wrote:
Damn....this is good. BUT, does everyone remember how epic Ricky "the GOAT" Carmichaels Vital QNA was? Neither do I. As soon as DB clocks out here...
Damn....this is good.

BUT, does everyone remember how epic Ricky "the GOAT" Carmichaels Vital QNA was?

Neither do I.

As soon as DB clocks out here this needs to be pinned at the top for 90 days before being moved directly to the Hall of Fame.
Agree, more effort than yes and no answers from some previous QNA.

Thank you David.

Maybe the mods might want to create a locked QNA forum?
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
8/12/2016 8:43pm
HOF thread.

HOF rider/person!
Whitey
8/13/2016 12:22am Edited Date/Time 8/13/2016 12:23am
Gday David and thank you for stopping by to feed us monkeys here your words of wisdom.

Couple of questions for you

What are your thoughts on the Energy drink companies involvement and the pull they seem to have on the teams, do you see them as a necessary evil or do you actually like what they do?

It must break your heart to see the top guys dismissing the Des Nations for a rest due to these pop up races that have absolutely no bearing on the US guys seemingly being made to race them.

Did you ever get any offers to come and race a SX Down Under?

I will pre warn you that if i see you at Maggiora i will be one of the many annoying mongrels that asks for a photo with you, so sorry in advance Smile
C-Rock
8/13/2016 5:24am Edited Date/Time 8/13/2016 5:45am
Hi David and thanks for being here with us sharing so many great stories.
I was at the very first Bercy Supercross in Paris, and for us french fans who didn't have much of a clue of what SX was, watching you and the other american racers was quite a shock.
Probably less of a shock than for the euro pilots, though...
What memories do you have about the few times you were there? Any good story?
And what did you think about the euro racers in such conditions at the time?
jnickell
Fantasy
1836th
8/13/2016 9:41am Edited Date/Time 8/13/2016 9:46am
Hi again David,

I thought of another question that us moto-geeks tend to revisit regularly but there are WAYYYY too many ifs, ands and buts to really answer it with accuracy. It's regarding the battle of the eras, e.g., 70's versus 80's, Hannah verus RC, etc... In my opinion, the sport is so drastically different it is impossible to determine. A silky rider like yourself or Dungey would have been fantastic in the 60's and 70's when preserving the machine was equal to today's importance of scrubbing. Two completely different skills but equally important. RC and James would have had a harder time back then because the pretty much pound the track into submission. I also lean to the side that says that greats like Decoster, RC, MC, You, Hannah,... pick one, would have been fine regardless of era. Why? Because I think the greatest asset you folks have is your ability to adapt. That isn't era specific. It's simply a trait of a champion. From adapting to different surfaces to 6 hour time zone differences. A champ has that innate ability. I would like to here your opinion on any comparisons you think are notable, be it bikes, training, rider mentality, new techniques, or whatever. We know a current top 10 or 15 SX pro with scrubbing skills would probably win if placed into the 80's with a time machine but that's only because you guys didn't have that in your bag of tricks yet. I believe that once you guys were introduced to the technique, you same champs would have been winning again.

Oh, and to the Vital MX forum moderators, is there a way to publish this thread to PDF so we can keep it for posterity? I suppose any of us can print to PDF each page but we'd need a PDF publisher to merge them.

Thanks again for your time.
8/13/2016 10:24am Edited Date/Time 8/13/2016 9:16pm
Whitey wrote:
Gday David and thank you for stopping by to feed us monkeys here your words of wisdom. Couple of questions for you What are your thoughts...
Gday David and thank you for stopping by to feed us monkeys here your words of wisdom.

Couple of questions for you

What are your thoughts on the Energy drink companies involvement and the pull they seem to have on the teams, do you see them as a necessary evil or do you actually like what they do?

It must break your heart to see the top guys dismissing the Des Nations for a rest due to these pop up races that have absolutely no bearing on the US guys seemingly being made to race them.

Did you ever get any offers to come and race a SX Down Under?

I will pre warn you that if i see you at Maggiora i will be one of the many annoying mongrels that asks for a photo with you, so sorry in advance Smile
They're like any other sponsor. We had Miller Beer, Camel bibs in Europe etc. not the healthiest of things, but what I've noticed being different now is how much control they have or demand. It's a little over the top. If I were racing now and they told me to say such n such, wearing their logo, and their hat, standing in front of their logo, holding a can with their logo.. I wouldn't be popular with them. Let me say what I want to say when it's authentic. Don't treat me like a robot. I didn't even like having goggles around my neck towards the end of my career. It wasn't natural. There would be times I would thank them and I meant it! Being forced to say things and act a certain way is superficial and puts the riders in an awkward position - I think.

These guys don't need rest. It's their chosen profession. They get paid so much money and have so many comforts and percs. When they're 45-50 years old they're going to wish they were asked to do something or had something to prepare for and get nervous about. We live in a society of right NOW and entitlement and it has drained the ambition of a whole generation of riders.

Yes, one time I was going to do some testing in Japan and then go to Australia and I was stoked. It was cancelled for some reason so I flew to LA, got my girlfriend Gina and then flew to Bora Bora instead. It worked out okay

Come say hi! No worries mate

8/13/2016 11:02am Edited Date/Time 8/13/2016 12:21pm
C-Rock wrote:
Hi David and thanks for being here with us sharing so many great stories. I was at the very first Bercy Supercross in Paris, and for...
Hi David and thanks for being here with us sharing so many great stories.
I was at the very first Bercy Supercross in Paris, and for us french fans who didn't have much of a clue of what SX was, watching you and the other american racers was quite a shock.
Probably less of a shock than for the euro pilots, though...
What memories do you have about the few times you were there? Any good story?
And what did you think about the euro racers in such conditions at the time?
That's cool you saw the first one. I had just won the first 500 national at Gainsville, was robbed at gunpoint, talked on the phone for the first time with Gina (who sent me a card because I had a gnarly ear infection and she knew about it) before Daytona and then won it. I had been skipping training because I broke my foot right after Anaheim so I was looking forward to the week off and catching up on things at home. Then DeCoster called and asked if I would be interested in a small SX in Paris and I reluctantly told him no and why. I felt bad, but I was in the middle of the SX series, the nationals had just started and I was trying to do the right thing and avoid some rinky dink Paris SX. So we hung up and he called back a few minutes later and said Johnny was going. He told Roger if David goes I'll go. Our works bikes were on the way! Roger thought I would say yes :-) So I did once he put it like that and it turned out to be a really exciting and fun event. Johnny and I rode well, got starts on our works cheater bikes and beacuse we practiced on tight stuff for fun out at Hondaland, that little track suited us perfect. Loved the atmosphere, the organizers, the thought they put into making it a show, the trophy's and even the stadium was really cool with that grass roof. It was neat to race with Jobe and LaPorte and some of the guys we raced againts in the des Nations and on something entirely new. Even though Johnny, Rick, Broc and I had SX experience, that track was really tight so we were all adjusting! So I'm really glad I went and even more stoked I got to be King a couple times. Still have those giant cups!

The Europeans seemed to struggle a little bit and if I'm being honest I was probably a little bit amused by it, but they were there and tried. I think that was the year RJ punted Vimond and that didn't go over good. Rick didn't know, he was just trying to make progress with very little room. The pit area was all open and tight like the track so everyone was on top of each other and it was a cool environment. At the Des Nations we'd never really see those guys. Since it was a low pressure type of thing, everyone was friendly. Johnny and I were 1-2 both nights so Roger was right. He said they were going to make it a unique event and it definitely was. I came home from that, went to Houston and won, then Saddleback and won, then Hangtown and won again. Bercy was tucked nicely into a great time in my life and I couldn't wait to go back.
8/13/2016 11:57am Edited Date/Time 8/20/2016 4:30pm
jnickell wrote:
Hi again David, I thought of another question that us moto-geeks tend to revisit regularly but there are WAYYYY too many ifs, ands and buts to...
Hi again David,

I thought of another question that us moto-geeks tend to revisit regularly but there are WAYYYY too many ifs, ands and buts to really answer it with accuracy. It's regarding the battle of the eras, e.g., 70's versus 80's, Hannah verus RC, etc... In my opinion, the sport is so drastically different it is impossible to determine. A silky rider like yourself or Dungey would have been fantastic in the 60's and 70's when preserving the machine was equal to today's importance of scrubbing. Two completely different skills but equally important. RC and James would have had a harder time back then because the pretty much pound the track into submission. I also lean to the side that says that greats like Decoster, RC, MC, You, Hannah,... pick one, would have been fine regardless of era. Why? Because I think the greatest asset you folks have is your ability to adapt. That isn't era specific. It's simply a trait of a champion. From adapting to different surfaces to 6 hour time zone differences. A champ has that innate ability. I would like to here your opinion on any comparisons you think are notable, be it bikes, training, rider mentality, new techniques, or whatever. We know a current top 10 or 15 SX pro with scrubbing skills would probably win if placed into the 80's with a time machine but that's only because you guys didn't have that in your bag of tricks yet. I believe that once you guys were introduced to the technique, you same champs would have been winning again.

Oh, and to the Vital MX forum moderators, is there a way to publish this thread to PDF so we can keep it for posterity? I suppose any of us can print to PDF each page but we'd need a PDF publisher to merge them.

Thanks again for your time.
Fun to think about, impossible to compare. I get asked that a lot and I have no good answer. The best in their time were special. Pull those riders out of that time and place them anywhere in the timeline and they're still special and winning and contending for wins. I made up a fun little bracket thing with riders for the Red Bull straight rythym last year and it was fun to visualize, but a day went by and I realized I left off some great names. The 60's and 70's were great because it was all new and undiscovered. The 80's I think is when things were still new, but it was taking shape and really competitive as some top guys from the late 70's overlapped to the early 80's and very few of us were hurt. I was watching one of my dad's videos from '84 at Foxboro with a friend from that area and during the site lap it was Hannah, Broc, Lechien, Ward, Barnett, Johnson, O'Mara, me, Burnworth, Howerton, Bowen, Holland, Holley, Kehoe, King, Dymond etc. That's a line up! Nowadays lots of riders are hurt it seems. We weren't allowed to be hurt. Broc almost won the SX title with a broken wrist, Wardy had lots of injuries but kept racing, I had a ruined ankle, a stretched out ACL, broken feet and a wrist, Johnny won the 125 title at Millville with a broken foot and so on. If all the riders were on the gate today that could or maybe should be, it would look more like the 80's.

I think the riders before me were a lot tougher. Seeing Adolf Weil on a 500cc Maico holeshotting '74 Unadilla in an open face with NO mouthgaurd... I mean, you tell me. They rode bikes with down pipes for 40+2 on rocky dusty tracks that were never groomed. They didn't even have gatorade yet did they? As things have progressed the approach has been made easier and easier so it's probably made us softer - really really skilled, but softer. Hannah used to drive with McCarty in the boxvan on the road. I did that at times with Cliff. You wouldn't see that now I don't think. It's all been uncovered and discovered and today they have monitors and watts and lit pros and go pros and multiple private tracks with special watering nozzles, practice bike mechanics, laptop settings, dynos, launch control buttons, holeshot devices and electric start! The mindset with all of that has definitely changed, but I'll bet Heikki Mikkola could beat the crap out of Justin Bogle right now. Nothing against Bogle, but pick anyone.. A rider in my opinion who has a real appreciation for the sport's history and who paved the way and takes all of it into consideration as they set goals will do well and inspire riders and fans 30 years from now.
Nighttrain
8/13/2016 12:50pm
Many thanks, David, for being so engaged with your responses. This is an awesome QnA. You were a rider I always pulled for during your era. And what a great time it was to be a fan! My favorite riders like you, Hannah, O'Mara, Chandler, Weinert, RJ, Barnett and Bell are all different in many ways but provided fantastic battles for us to watch.

My question is do riders like yourself and those mentioned ever bench race and swap moto stories like the rest of us? Thanks again, sir, for the time and effort you gave to this thread.
8/13/2016 1:17pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2016 1:19pm
Nighttrain wrote:
Many thanks, David, for being so engaged with your responses. This is an awesome QnA. You were a rider I always pulled for during your era...
Many thanks, David, for being so engaged with your responses. This is an awesome QnA. You were a rider I always pulled for during your era. And what a great time it was to be a fan! My favorite riders like you, Hannah, O'Mara, Chandler, Weinert, RJ, Barnett and Bell are all different in many ways but provided fantastic battles for us to watch.

My question is do riders like yourself and those mentioned ever bench race and swap moto stories like the rest of us? Thanks again, sir, for the time and effort you gave to this thread.
Thanks.

I'm sure they do. They probably don't camp out on it, but people look up to them and from time to time just like on here with me, they'll get asked things and I imagine it stirs up some good stories, battles, friendships and funny stories. Broc has a great detailed memory for things. Bell, I'm glad you brought him up. Great guy! I spent entire days trying to figure out how to tuck it around the inside of a flat turn with the head tilt and soak up a jump like he could. I remember him racing his mountain bike at the Coliseum and even Carlsbad I think and knew he went to the Tour De France and saw gnarly athletes suffering big time. Weinert is a story teller I think and we all like hearing Hannah's take on things. Johnny and I visited a couple times recently and he remembers things I don't. He and Wardy were fierce competitors, but now they ride mtb's and enjoy life and they probably still recall or get asked about their battles. Rick and I recently had lunch and bench raced a little bit, but mostly just talked about life and other things. We were fortunate to do well and in front of thousands of people and although I feel like any other person with my helmet off, I recognize I had a gift and it's fun and the least I can do to share those days with people who are interested.
JPLROPER
8/13/2016 2:17pm
Really great that you are answering all these questions. I never met you but your Dad gave a talk at the Aztalan MX club in Wi. in the early 80's, great guy. Big buzz going around was proper diet and someone asked Gary, " what should we have the kids eat?", he paused and then said " feed them something, its going to be a long day". Talk turned to grooming tracks and he said best to just not groom the tracks it makes for better riders, after he left one of the club members said he hoped Gary wasn't mad because they had just totally groomed the track.
WFO!
8/13/2016 3:40pm
Hi David.
I saw you mention the '84 SX at Foxboro MA.

That's where I saw you race for the first time. (1983) You slayed 'em all.

I took plenty of photos that race but you and Jimmy Holley were the only 2 autographs I got that day.

Technology like this and the ability to speak/write to a hero directly makes me glad I lived this long!

It's been a long road! All great memories here.

I just wanted to say simply, Thank You.

You are a mountain of a person.

philG
8/13/2016 5:53pm
What a pleasure to read...

David , as a fan from the UK , we never go to see the bikes the US teams rode, but do you think the development from 1980 to 86 was sustainable if they hadnt made the 'stock' rule.

How much input did you guys get , or was it more engineers coming up with stuff, and having to with it what you could

Many thanks

Phil
8/13/2016 6:02pm
Hello Mr.Bailey! Thank you for taking the time to answer everyone's questions!

My question is as follows,

I started riding Motocross two years ago, and was immediately drawn to the smooth riding styles of riders such as yourself and Jean Michel Bayle! Every since I have tried to emulate my personal style after you both. Do you have any tips for a kid trying to develop a smooth riding style?
mxracer239
8/13/2016 7:19pm
Hey Mr Bailey you are the real (goat). Do you think there is any chance 2 strokes ever make it back to pro racing the way it used to be?

Thanks
kiwifan
8/13/2016 9:57pm
Hi David, you have done a few SX's in your time, what do you think of the proposed Nascar-like chase format....or any other views on the current format?
8/13/2016 10:07pm
philG wrote:
What a pleasure to read... David , as a fan from the UK , we never go to see the bikes the US teams rode, but...
What a pleasure to read...

David , as a fan from the UK , we never go to see the bikes the US teams rode, but do you think the development from 1980 to 86 was sustainable if they hadnt made the 'stock' rule.

How much input did you guys get , or was it more engineers coming up with stuff, and having to with it what you could

Many thanks

Phil
That's a really good question Phil. It seemed like something was going to have to happen for it all to pencil out better. I'm not sure we would've seen some of the wild stuff that was rumored or there were rare photos of, but I learned listening to a pod cast with Cliff White that Honda had an automatic. I never knew that. If "stock" hadn't been enforced maybe they would've kept teams of engineers on projects like that. It came to an abrupt halt in my experience and whatever may have been in work got shelved so we'll never know.

When we tested, it was what Japan had been working on. Probably without my knowing Dave Arnold and Roger and the mechanics would feed them things, but our first tests were usually in Japan and their engineers were the ones (to my knowledge) coming up with the new package. So radical to see a new bike for the first time! Sometimes it was amazing at first glance like '82 and '85 and other times it would grow on us. During those tests we the riders would give our feedback like it hit's to hard, or there is nothing on the bottom, or 2nd and 3rd gear are to close together, or the pipe sticks out as well as stuff we liked such as comfort, more power all around, it feels really stable, it feels light etc. The mechanics would offer their feedback as well and that data would be implemented into the next test which sometimes was in Japan again later in the year or in California. That's when the mechanics would really work hard fabricating and planning to go on the road with parts and we would ride 'em a lot to get race ready. Each rider had things Honda would sometimes make special. Whatever our desire was, Honda Japan (HRC) or American Honda would do their best to address it and solve it. Before Daytona and then again for the outdoors we would get more parts for more power, better suspension ideas for higher speed etc. They always had something new!

8/13/2016 10:24pm
mxracer239 wrote:
Hey Mr Bailey you are the real (goat). Do you think there is any chance 2 strokes ever make it back to pro racing the way...
Hey Mr Bailey you are the real (goat). Do you think there is any chance 2 strokes ever make it back to pro racing the way it used to be?

Thanks
I hope so :-) Doesn't seem like it, but I wish they would. I don't know what the real reason was for the change, maybe it was a good one, but I don't like 4-strokes. When people say, man these 4-strokes are so easy to ride, I wonder if that's a good thing..

100% had a poster years ago and I think it read - regarding motocross, Not because it is easy, but because it is hard!

steve_97060
8/13/2016 10:25pm
Hi David,

thank you for all of the thoughtful and informative answers, just another example of why you are the Icon..
8/13/2016 10:35pm
WFO! wrote:
Hi David. I saw you mention the '84 SX at Foxboro MA. That's where I saw you race for the first time. (1983) You slayed 'em...
Hi David.
I saw you mention the '84 SX at Foxboro MA.

That's where I saw you race for the first time. (1983) You slayed 'em all.

I took plenty of photos that race but you and Jimmy Holley were the only 2 autographs I got that day.

Technology like this and the ability to speak/write to a hero directly makes me glad I lived this long!

It's been a long road! All great memories here.

I just wanted to say simply, Thank You.

You are a mountain of a person.

Good picture! Team Honda was so strong in '84. Cool to see JoJo over there signing. I remember my bike was running crisp that night! I met Gina's mom and dad and some of her sisters at that race. Her dad Jim had a resturant called Diamond Jim's in Vermont and years later Hannah went there with Mike McAndrews.

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: David Bailey

The Latest