Vital MX Forum QNA: Dave Osterman

Ozzy
9/8/2015 9:54pm
snakebite wrote:
Are their uninsured riders out on the track or does the sanctioning body require it? I've seen mechanics in pit row get injured. Do the teams...

Are their uninsured riders out on the track or does the sanctioning body require it? I've seen mechanics in pit row get injured. Do the teams provide insurance plans for the crew?
I'm not aware of everyone, but I've been involved with some that didn't & I stressed to them that they should have it.
A team shouldn't sign any athlete without proof of Health Insurance.
It's just good business, period.
I've personally seen it go bad without it.
It's not the teams responseability but it is.
It's just words really.
But those words can save the day.
The sports to dangerous to be without it.
Crews too...
fpandjic
9/9/2015 1:28am
Can't not to ask you something Smile What was Chad the pickiest about? In how physical and how mental condition was he during the races? What do you think Chad did wrong in managing the TwoTwo team?
motogrady
9/9/2015 6:50am
Hello Dave, really appreciate you signing up for this.

2 questions, from 2 different worlds

The rule book, for both SX and the outdoors.
I take it as a given the teams get a new, updated one every year before the seasons begins.
Do the teams, or even riders get asked their take on what should be in it?
Also, if something does change up mid season, how are the participants informed?
Is it a memo or email, or does an AMA guy stop by and inform you guys?

2nd. Have you been contacted by the guy that bought Buell at the bankruptcy sale last month?
Seems to me the Griffin data should have gone with it, and may be just sitting in some file cabinet
In the mid-west, just waiting for the guy like you.
Bruce Belifore (sp?) is rebuilding that company from scratch, and is hard on it being an American
Brand, built by Americans. Nobody knows what the guy is up to, if Eric is gonna be on board,
if he's gonna just keep making kit racers, only that he believes there are too many big cruisers being made as is.
Could we see another Cannondale coming down the pike in the future?

Along this line, and I don't expect you to burn any bridges, what kind of guy is Eric Buell?
Hands on on the assembly line, accessible to all, or keeping his distance from the rest from the office?

Sorry for being so long winded, good luck with this year.
Ozzy
9/9/2015 8:54am
fpandjic wrote:
Can't not to ask you something :) What was Chad the pickiest about? In how physical and how mental condition was he during the races? What...
Can't not to ask you something Smile What was Chad the pickiest about? In how physical and how mental condition was he during the races? What do you think Chad did wrong in managing the TwoTwo team?
Everything..haha!
Chad's very detail oriented.
I'd say the motor's the easy part especially in the 450 class. There's a lot involved for sure & our motors have always been awesome, but chassis stuff is really where the races are won & lost. Chad's an awesome test rider for himself & others, plus if he's lost he'll say so. Overall I'd say front end issues as far as feel etc., were his biggest issues on every brand.
Chad's a front end rider as opposed to RC that rode from the rear.
TwoTwo was a business.
In business there's always up down & sideways at times. Every race car hits the wall, every 1, that's how you learn & improve. We had a great run for 5yrs.
I'm proud of TwoTwo Motorsports whether I land another gig or not.
We made HISTORY!

The Shop

Ozzy
9/9/2015 9:32am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2015 9:43am
motogrady wrote:
Hello Dave, really appreciate you signing up for this. 2 questions, from 2 different worlds The rule book, for both SX and the outdoors. I take...
Hello Dave, really appreciate you signing up for this.

2 questions, from 2 different worlds

The rule book, for both SX and the outdoors.
I take it as a given the teams get a new, updated one every year before the seasons begins.
Do the teams, or even riders get asked their take on what should be in it?
Also, if something does change up mid season, how are the participants informed?
Is it a memo or email, or does an AMA guy stop by and inform you guys?

2nd. Have you been contacted by the guy that bought Buell at the bankruptcy sale last month?
Seems to me the Griffin data should have gone with it, and may be just sitting in some file cabinet
In the mid-west, just waiting for the guy like you.
Bruce Belifore (sp?) is rebuilding that company from scratch, and is hard on it being an American
Brand, built by Americans. Nobody knows what the guy is up to, if Eric is gonna be on board,
if he's gonna just keep making kit racers, only that he believes there are too many big cruisers being made as is.
Could we see another Cannondale coming down the pike in the future?

Along this line, and I don't expect you to burn any bridges, what kind of guy is Eric Buell?
Hands on on the assembly line, accessible to all, or keeping his distance from the rest from the office?

Sorry for being so long winded, good luck with this year.
Thx!!
Got Rulebooks?
Rules are a funny deal at times.
For the most part, yes there's a set of a Rules to follow. Are they always, No.
Many times they're made up as they go along it seems. Really depends on the day or the side your on.
Many times its a Rubber RuleBook to me.
Take NASCAR for example, they're GNARLY & don't waffel around ever it seems. Here, history shows that's clearly not the case. Even the recent BlackFlag deal. Crazy...Chad was wrong. He admitted that very publicly. The FIM was wrong too.
They never admitted they acted wrong & should have. 1 guy shouldn't have all that power. Regardless, those type of situations need to be handled by a group of peers
as in other Professional sports.
That's a prime example of a flawed system.
As far as I know, nothing has changed from that which is wrong!!
No, I've never been contacted by the New owner at Buell.
Erik Buell is an incredibly bright guy.
Easy to talk to & very hands on.
I'm bold in my opinions of what went on there cause I'm on top of my own capabilities.
What should of happened didn't.
The ship sank due to many things in the program that had nothing to do with the actual building of the bike.
Cannondale to me was a disaster.
A lesson in what NOT TO DO.
No disrespect to any involved in that deal, but I called it a Christmas Tree!
I mean, how much crap were they gonna hang on that thing. Their bicycles both road & mtb were the Class of the Insustry at the time & still are at the top level.
How they stumbled in the MX world is beyond me, but they did.
To me they came in with zero respect for their surroundings, none, & it showed!
At Buell, I always told everyone, we're going to be parallel parking our semi at some point with these other teams/manufactures. We need to always be respectful of that, always.
Reinventing the wheel seems to travel through these situations like getting a cold.
They may not start out that way, but in a short amount of time it seems they all get sick. I was the "End User" I called myself.
I was always very respectful of those who were our competition.
That's the key!!
VicDaMoan03
9/9/2015 11:00am
Can you comment on the differences working with Factory Honda vs Kawi during your time at TwoTwo?
snakebite
9/9/2015 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2015 12:05pm
Before 22 racing you were posting on vital daily. Do you plan to start participating on a daily basis again? Is there something about the forum that slows your return?
Ozzy
9/9/2015 1:25pm
Can you comment on the differences working with Factory Honda vs Kawi during your time at TwoTwo?
Factory Teams are ALL very simliar.
The 1st thing to remember is they're ALL
Corporate and Corporate 1st.
Most of the common stereo types apply.
It's business first!!
They'll ALL very professional, yet the common thread as in any business, is that whatever they're doing or providing for you
it also has to 1st work & make sense to them. They won't enter into anything unless it benefits them 1st.
It's just good business.
Face it, we'd ALL rather fly 1st Class than be in the back, right? Well that's it in a nut shell.
But to have them with you is invaluable!!
Trust me.
We saw the huge benefits from both.
At our level it's a welcomed assett.
Ozzy
9/9/2015 1:35pm
snakebite wrote:
Before 22 racing you were posting on vital daily. Do you plan to start participating on a daily basis again? Is there something about the forum...
Before 22 racing you were posting on vital daily. Do you plan to start participating on a daily basis again? Is there something about the forum that slows your return?
I'm always checking Vital out.
Sometimes I may learn something!
You'd be surprised how many industry types are actually on here or at least surf around as well. They may learn something too..haha
It's ALL good.
We'll see what the future holds?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/9/2015 5:31pm
Ozzy, which industry job has been the most challenging for you? 1. From an overall energy stand point (like which was the hardest, period). 2. Most challenging in a fun factor point of view?

Also, I promise I never took a picture of that throttle body... I still give Donn Maeda shit for saying I did that to hide. LaughingLaughingWink
Ozzy
9/9/2015 5:51pm
ML512 wrote:
Ozzy, which industry job has been the most challenging for you? 1. From an overall energy stand point (like which was the hardest, period). 2. Most...
Ozzy, which industry job has been the most challenging for you? 1. From an overall energy stand point (like which was the hardest, period). 2. Most challenging in a fun factor point of view?

Also, I promise I never took a picture of that throttle body... I still give Donn Maeda shit for saying I did that to hide. LaughingLaughingWink
Your not going to like my answer but they were ALL similar, just at different times in my age, experience & developement.
Also, very different in time as well.
I arrived in the Sport when a lot was happening & starting to grow & develop.
Air cooling, drum brakes, Preston Petty front fenders, were the norm.
No internet. No cell phones.
Crews drove & did everything.
Each was a challange but fun at the same time. That's why we're all here, right?
Today it's still a challange.
Regardless of the era it's still Professional Racing at the highest level for the time.
The minute you think it's easy or everything's ok, it isn't.
500guy
9/9/2015 8:04pm
I disagree with you about the black flag, it's no different than the Head referee in a Football game ejecting a player for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Sucks that it happened but in my mind it was the right call.
Ozzy
9/9/2015 9:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2015 9:27pm
500guy wrote:
I disagree with you about the black flag, it's no different than the Head referee in a Football game ejecting a player for unsportsmanlike conduct. Sucks...
I disagree with you about the black flag, it's no different than the Head referee in a Football game ejecting a player for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Sucks that it happened but in my mind it was the right call.
No XMas card for you!! Haha..
Your entitled to yours.
I don't agree.
Unsportsmanlike Conduct....
snakebite
9/9/2015 9:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2015 9:13pm
Why do you think some view you as "troublesome"? You mentioned in the Racerx article that both you and Reed were viewed as troublesome. Why would any owner want a troublemaker manager?

Would you have fired milsaps?
Ozzy
9/9/2015 9:10pm
Dave O,

You need to write a book (a tell all) Lol

Love You
Ozzy
9/9/2015 9:11pm
Dave O,

You need to write a book (a tell all) Lol

Love You
Ozzy wrote:
❤️U2!!
Ozzy
9/9/2015 9:21pm
snakebite wrote:
Why do you think some view you as "troublesome"? You mentioned in the Racerx article that both you and Reed were viewed as troublesome. Why would...
Why do you think some view you as "troublesome"? You mentioned in the Racerx article that both you and Reed were viewed as troublesome. Why would any owner want a troublemaker manager?

Would you have fired milsaps?
That was a figure of speech!
I'm not afraid to speak up if necessary.
If I need heat in the back of the bus I'll ask.
Chad's the same way.
I can be just as Corporate as the next guy,
but I'm not a suck up.
I'm a thinker.
I'm a do-er.
I get it done!!
I'm in it to Win it.
Those who know me know this.
If I'm full of myself about anything, it's about my abilities & the job I can do.
I've done it!!
snakebite
9/9/2015 9:31pm
Have any golden rules you follow as a manager or mechanic?

I Always...
I never....
Ozzy
9/9/2015 11:27pm
snakebite wrote:
Have any golden rules you follow as a manager or mechanic?

I Always...
I never....
Not really..haha.
I do, but they're in my head and used daily.
I'm always the same as far as my work ethic goes.
Total team player.

"Measure twice Cut once"........
I've got a million words and analogies to get me thru the day..

tbanks
9/10/2015 9:48am
Dave,

You've traveled to many a races and different venues across the globe. Which city or place is your favorite to visit? What city did you look forward to going to each year and why?
freeh
9/10/2015 10:08am
Hey Dave,

One question. How much do you miss the winter in Wisconsin? haha
Ozzy
9/10/2015 10:42am
tbanks wrote:
Dave, You've traveled to many a races and different venues across the globe. Which city or place is your favorite to visit? What city did you...
Dave,

You've traveled to many a races and different venues across the globe. Which city or place is your favorite to visit? What city did you look forward to going to each year and why?
There's a ton of cool places, cities & towns.
Flying ruins a lot of that but that's how it is
now a days.
Driving back in the day gave your arrival a different perspective.
I love local events.
So. Cal spoils you.
Everything's so close & most times your home quickly & even in your own bed!
Personally, I don't mind some heat, as long as it's not triple digits like where my folks live in Palm Springs. Couldn't live there.
Don't see how people do.
I also HATE HIGH HUMIDITY!!!
That's almost as bad as months of snow.
So. Cal snow is tolerable. Mid West & East, NO WAY!!
As you can tell I'm spoiled for West Coast Weather.
My bro lives in Florida.
For Work...
I'd never survive there.
Nice to visit but that's as far as it goes.
For the most part, I relish the plane rides home during the Outdoors.
SX is easy!
SX spoils you.
I do like, Colorado, Utah. Very healthy feel to me & the weather's bearable.
But at the end of the day, there's no place like Home.
Ozzy
9/10/2015 10:48am
freeh wrote:
Hey Dave,

One question. How much do you miss the winter in Wisconsin? haha
Howdy!
Hope all is well.
Couldn't stand the Winter there.
The Winter there, HURT!!!
How about all the Buell interest on here?
Cya...
mxnick
9/10/2015 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2015 2:24pm
Box van: Grumman or Utilimaster, and why?

BobbyM
9/10/2015 4:05pm
Yo Dave.. At the Southwick 500 nats in 79 I believe Bells maybe won the first moto but seized his scooter up during the 2nd moto due to the filter getting clogged up. If I remember right you didn't have enough time between motos to change it and that was the downfall. Is that true and did it go down like that?
Ozzy
9/10/2015 4:33pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2015 4:35pm
mxnick wrote:
Box van: Grumman or Utilimaster, and why?

No Contest!!!
GRUMMAN'S all the way.
More SX & MX Championships were deliverd via GRUMMAN BOXVANS than any other!!
Ozzy
9/10/2015 4:45pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2015 4:48pm
BobbyM wrote:
Yo Dave.. At the Southwick 500 nats in 79 I believe Bells maybe won the first moto but seized his scooter up during the 2nd moto...
Yo Dave.. At the Southwick 500 nats in 79 I believe Bells maybe won the first moto but seized his scooter up during the 2nd moto due to the filter getting clogged up. If I remember right you didn't have enough time between motos to change it and that was the downfall. Is that true and did it go down like that?
Not exactly correct!
Back then Yamaha was more of several teams within a team.
The works bikes took a lot of time just to do normal in between moto servicing.
Bell was in a crash in Moto 1.
My priority was to fix everything 1st, then gas, tires, etc.
I had No Help.
There were no floater guys.
The 250's left for the line.
By the time I got to the filter, I had no more time, none.
The filter as I recall wasn't bad.
I had to wrap it up so I did.
It ran the whole Moto.
Sucked some sand!
Hind sights 20/20....
MR. X
9/10/2015 6:06pm
At some point ,Roger will call it quits . If given the opportunity ,would you run the MXdN team ?
Ozzy
9/10/2015 6:56pm
MR. X wrote:
At some point ,Roger will call it quits . If given the opportunity ,would you run the MXdN team ?
Roger's not going anywhere.
1st things 1st my friend, a New
gig is needed 1st.

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Dave Osterman

The Latest