Vital MX Forum QNA: Brandon Anderson

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
7/20/2015 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2017 4:40pm

This week's guest in the Vital MX forum QNA is Brandon Anderson. Currently Blake Baggett's mechanic with the Yoshimura Suzuki Factory Racing team, he got started as a practice bike mechanic for Ben Townley, Davi Millsaps, and Malcolm Stewart, among others.

Bring your best questions, and he'll be peeking in here this week to answer them. As always, keep it respectful, and ask questions that you would like in a face-to-face meeting.
|
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
7/20/2015 3:37pm
BRAKE BRACKETT FASTIEST SUSZUKI!!!
Yeah, that's not a question...and my patience is getting thin with the Mustard Tiger character. Have a nice day. Smile
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
1835th
7/20/2015 3:53pm
How did you land a job with a top factory team vs working in a dealership? From education to working other jobs.
RCB33
Fantasy
90th
7/20/2015 4:18pm
does Blakes height and weight make it harder to get a good setting on a 450, I know he is one of the smaller riders out there so was kind of curious, thanks as always for taking the time to answer our questions.

The Shop

Mini Elsinore
7/20/2015 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2015 4:35pm
Do any random fans approach you---oh, lets say, at airport McDonald's and talk your ear off? Wink

What has been your biggest adjustment in moving into a race-day mechanic role on weekends?

Thanks for stopping by the Vital sandbox and best of luck!
Roostermx58
7/20/2015 4:37pm
How often does the RCH team collaborate with the Yoshi team on race day? Whats it like working out of a semi all to yourself (no other riders)?
RonSkj
Fantasy
141st
7/20/2015 4:39pm
How fun was it working with Malcolm Stewart? Him and James both seem like they know how to have a good time, while still getting the job done.
Starcrossed
7/20/2015 5:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2015 5:25pm
For those of us who aren't familiar, could you share some of your biographical info? Age, where from, how you got involved with mx, what has led to your success, and anything else that you would care to share.
Congrats on the terrific results at Spring Creek. Keep up the good work.
7/20/2015 6:03pm
RCB33 wrote:
does Blakes height and weight make it harder to get a good setting on a 450, I know he is one of the smaller riders out...
does Blakes height and weight make it harder to get a good setting on a 450, I know he is one of the smaller riders out there so was kind of curious, thanks as always for taking the time to answer our questions.
Hey everybody! It's so cool to be posting on here with you guys. I usually look at the forum insanity from afar and laugh, but now I get to get up close and personal with this cool vital family. Grinning

To answer your question: I don't think that size is so much of an issue on the 450. It's more about the strength of the rider IN MY OPINION. At the factory level, each team has countless options to accommodate every riders size and their riding style. It's more about the riders ability to test, and make beneficial changes to the bike.
7/20/2015 6:26pm
How did you land a job with a top factory team vs working in a dealership? From education to working other jobs.
Yoooooo,

It's not an overnight deal, that's for sure. There were years of successes and failures in between. However, I never stopped wanting the privilege of working for a factory team. I know I have a good reputation as a hard worker, and that carried with me throughout the years from one gig to another. So, when I asked for the job, these guys knew of my reputation, and decided that I would be an asset to the team.

Actually, my first industry job was at Seminole PowerSports in Sanford, FL (shout out to BoKey!) Grinning I raced a lot before that, but I knew I'd never make a living from being pro. I graduated from MMI while working at the dealership, and took advantage of a lot of different opportunities in school that involved motocross. After graduation I found out that the Wonder Warthog team was offering a supercross internship. So, I would work the service counter at SPS, take college courses at night, then go to the races on the weekend (eventually getting my associates degree). During the mx season, I helped a couple of local pros also. Through word of mouth, this led to my first "real" job as a practice mechanic for Ben Townley during that bummer of an '08 season. However, I must say that working with him was one of the most informative and eye opening jobs that I've ever had.
7/20/2015 6:33pm
For those of us who aren't familiar, could you share some of your biographical info? Age, where from, how you got involved with mx, what has...
For those of us who aren't familiar, could you share some of your biographical info? Age, where from, how you got involved with mx, what has led to your success, and anything else that you would care to share.
No problem! I answered a little in my last post. I'm born and raised in Atlanta, GA and I just turned 28. My father used to take me to the Fram Nationals (NHRA) in Commerce, GA as a kid. For some reason, the pro stock bikes always were my favorite to watch. I showed interest in supercross as an early teen. So, my dad took me to my first race in Atlanta in 2002. The heat race between David Vuillemin and Stephane Roncada is what I credit to my love for the sport. After their heated battle, I remember DV smacking Roncada on the helmet. From that moment on, I was hooked! Grinning
7/20/2015 6:38pm
Do any random fans approach you---oh, lets say, at airport McDonald's and talk your ear off? ;) What has been your biggest adjustment in moving into...
Do any random fans approach you---oh, lets say, at airport McDonald's and talk your ear off? Wink

What has been your biggest adjustment in moving into a race-day mechanic role on weekends?

Thanks for stopping by the Vital sandbox and best of luck!
Hahaha! I remember you! What's up bud?!

I'd say the biggest adjustment is devoting your life to your job. We don't get a lot of free time. Either we're on the road, or in the shop. You have to have a very understand girlfriend/wife/family as well.

I'd also have to say, another big adjustment is having so many options. Lots of works parts...and options for those parts. You can't just grab a brake hose when you're rebuilding a brake system, or a linkage bolt, or a clutch cable.
Starcrossed
7/20/2015 6:39pm
For those of us who aren't familiar, could you share some of your biographical info? Age, where from, how you got involved with mx, what has...
No problem! I answered a little in my last post. I'm born and raised in Atlanta, GA and I just turned 28. My father used to...
No problem! I answered a little in my last post. I'm born and raised in Atlanta, GA and I just turned 28. My father used to take me to the Fram Nationals (NHRA) in Commerce, GA as a kid. For some reason, the pro stock bikes always were my favorite to watch. I showed interest in supercross as an early teen. So, my dad took me to my first race in Atlanta in 2002. The heat race between David Vuillemin and Stephane Roncada is what I credit to my love for the sport. After their heated battle, I remember DV smacking Roncada on the helmet. From that moment on, I was hooked! Grinning
Thanks Brandon, oddly enough some of my earliest racing experiences were at the drag strip also. I'm sure your outstanding work ethic and mechanical skills will continue to reward you with the best opportunities in the industry.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
7/20/2015 6:42pm
I could probably do a goggle search on this but since you are here maybe you can fill me in.

What is a typical work week like for a mechanic at your level? Back in the 70's I believe the mechanics drove the box vans and practically slept with the bike during the week while also getting it to the next event. Pics of top mechanics working in hotel parking lots and bringing the works bikes into hotel rooms were commonplace.

What is it like for you? Airports and test tracks pretty much fill up your work week? During the racing season do you get any days off or is it a 7 day a week commitment?

Thanks Brandon

7/20/2015 6:46pm
RonSkj wrote:
How fun was it working with Malcolm Stewart? Him and James both seem like they know how to have a good time, while still getting the...
How fun was it working with Malcolm Stewart? Him and James both seem like they know how to have a good time, while still getting the job done.
OMG. You have no idea GrinningGrinningGrinning Mook is and will always be one of my best friends. I'm more of the cautious big brother, and he's just the silly, annoying, and funny little brother. We definitely had some great times together: road trips, nights out, arguments, rap battles, etc.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
7/20/2015 6:53pm
Yoooooo, It's not an overnight deal, that's for sure. There were years of successes and failures in between. However, I never stopped wanting the privilege of...
Yoooooo,

It's not an overnight deal, that's for sure. There were years of successes and failures in between. However, I never stopped wanting the privilege of working for a factory team. I know I have a good reputation as a hard worker, and that carried with me throughout the years from one gig to another. So, when I asked for the job, these guys knew of my reputation, and decided that I would be an asset to the team.

Actually, my first industry job was at Seminole PowerSports in Sanford, FL (shout out to BoKey!) Grinning I raced a lot before that, but I knew I'd never make a living from being pro. I graduated from MMI while working at the dealership, and took advantage of a lot of different opportunities in school that involved motocross. After graduation I found out that the Wonder Warthog team was offering a supercross internship. So, I would work the service counter at SPS, take college courses at night, then go to the races on the weekend (eventually getting my associates degree). During the mx season, I helped a couple of local pros also. Through word of mouth, this led to my first "real" job as a practice mechanic for Ben Townley during that bummer of an '08 season. However, I must say that working with him was one of the most informative and eye opening jobs that I've ever had.
Can you expand on the last statement, i.e. what opened your eyes? Was it how heartbreaking this sport can be? Thanks for taking the time to post!
7/20/2015 6:54pm
How often does the RCH team collaborate with the Yoshi team on race day? Whats it like working out of a semi all to yourself (no...
How often does the RCH team collaborate with the Yoshi team on race day? Whats it like working out of a semi all to yourself (no other riders)?
I'm not sure about race day, because I'm so focused on my own job...lol. But yes, the teams do collaborate. The bottom line is the success of the Suzuki brand.

It was quite unusual having a semi to myself at first. On build days, you have the entire semi to yourself. Having other hands at your disposal on race day is something new to me. As a practice mechanic, you do a lot of things on your own. However, it's nice to have the extra hands on deck when there are fire drills.
MR. X
7/20/2015 6:57pm
How does it typically work during a testing session? Do you just try what the rider wants or are the riders usually open to suggestions ?
DMG
7/20/2015 6:58pm
I know every major team has a guy or team of guys to do specific tasks on the bike, so my question is, how much do todays factory wrenches actually know about the bike, like with R&D in the engine, really knowing suspension, mapping etc outside of general maintenance ?
Tumblin
7/20/2015 6:58pm
Nice resume Brandon, I love your path and the related stories!
It seems many a wrench/coach/man friend get through with that same path. I actually took Todd Brown to his first race, I know he's MMI and scrambled around the pits with privateers to teams to Showa. I'd always try and look him up, but since he had his hand on Bubba getting those wins he's been hard to catch up with...that and its been a few months away...Whistling tell him Tumblin said hi please. I also know that young whipper next door at RCH Travis Parry is another MMI grad. Both coming from the great state of Jefferson!

I have no question, just a request. As you may well know (since you've already admitted lurking) every panty wearer on this board has to criticize our best when they take to their podium interviews. I usually go for a beer, but I ALWAYS want to hear Blake....or mostly see him because I swear when he gives that stare into the camera he's going to wink! Have him hook us boys and girls in our panties up so I can get on with my cold one!

& Congrats on your excellent season!

7/20/2015 7:03pm
Yoooooo, It's not an overnight deal, that's for sure. There were years of successes and failures in between. However, I never stopped wanting the privilege of...
Yoooooo,

yak651 wrote:
Can you expand on the last statement, i.e. what opened your eyes? Was it how heartbreaking this sport can be? Thanks for taking the time to...
Can you expand on the last statement, i.e. what opened your eyes? Was it how heartbreaking this sport can be? Thanks for taking the time to post!
I saw that guy bust his butt day in and day out, and for some reason it didn't click for him that season. There was injury, frustration, and even tears at times. The guy was more visibly passionate about racing and winning than ANYONE. I had never seen the enormous amount of work that a rider of BT's caliber had to put in...day in and day out. I'm sure at times, he thought that season was a waste. It wasn't. I'm sure he learned his own lessons. He prepared me for my future. Also, it made me appreciate the good days at the track so much more.
7/20/2015 7:09pm
Hey guys! Sorry, but I'm done for the night. I'll be sure to dial most of you in tomorrow.

Thanks for the interest!
Sidecar
7/20/2015 10:14pm
Brandon, do you get to test with the Suzuki Europe team in Japan during the off season and get to see the true works bikes (no production rule) The hand made frames, magnesium engines, titanium cranks, carbon subframes etc. How do you think it would change the AMA scene with no production rule?
7/21/2015 2:04am
Brandon, do mechanics still do the after-race teardown and rebuild of engines, or do you guys simply replace clutches and such or swap whole motors and send the used engines back to suzuki for the rebuilds? Im just curious as to how different the motor builds are today as opposed to the old box van days. Thanks!
7/21/2015 2:07am
I saw that guy bust his butt day in and day out, and for some reason it didn't click for him that season. There was injury...
I saw that guy bust his butt day in and day out, and for some reason it didn't click for him that season. There was injury, frustration, and even tears at times. The guy was more visibly passionate about racing and winning than ANYONE. I had never seen the enormous amount of work that a rider of BT's caliber had to put in...day in and day out. I'm sure at times, he thought that season was a waste. It wasn't. I'm sure he learned his own lessons. He prepared me for my future. Also, it made me appreciate the good days at the track so much more.
Thats a great answer! I think the relationship that a rider/mechanic has can be overlooked by the public sometimes. We all have heard tales of the bad rider/ wrench relationships, but the positive stories get lost most of the time.
huck
7/21/2015 5:49am
Did you ever get over your nervousness of your 'first race'? And did it hurt when you jumped the berm at the end?

https://youtu.be/SbHIxXiFAyA
mxtech1
7/21/2015 7:09am
With a title sponsor like Yoshimura, who builds a mean motor in their own right, how much of the engine is factory Suzuki parts vs. Yoshimura-based parts?
TailSoHard
7/21/2015 7:26am
First off, thanks for taking the time to do this, Brandon. I don't know if you've looked at any of the previous QNA forums, but so far they've all been a lot of fun and very informative for all of us. It's nice to see that the riders and mechanics we stare at through our TV screens every weekend are all regular dudes just like ourselves...

Couple questions:

What's the trickest/sickest/coolest/dopest "works" part you've ever seen? Maybe something that never got put into production (or hasn't yet) or something they weren't allowed to use for the AMA races? It's always neat hearing a mechanic's perspective about some of the stuff they work on because they have a different appreciation for craftsmanship than their rider does (in most instances).

If you could swap jobs for a week with anyone in the industry, who would it be and why?

Do you ever have any friendly competition between mechanics from your team or other teams? Either racing your own bikes, fastest rebuild times, quickest tire changes, etc?

Again, thanks for hangin out with us, and good luck in the rest of the season!

ktmdan
7/21/2015 7:33am
Hi,
Congrats on the recent podium.
I'm curious to know how closely you work with the engineers who make the changes to the bikes sold to the public. Do you see them on a regular basis or is it more of a scenario where you send them test data and comments.

I suppose I'm interested In how factory testing is integrated into new bike design.

Thanks,
Good luck with the rest of the season.
7/21/2015 9:00am
huck wrote:
Did you ever get over your nervousness of your 'first race'? And did it hurt when you jumped the berm at the end?

https://youtu.be/SbHIxXiFAyA
OMG. When I first started working for BT101, he showed me this video and was convinced that it was me! HAHAHA. Probably the sketchiest D-rider ever!

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Brandon Anderson

The Latest