Vital MX Forum QNA: Blake Wharton

philG
12/1/2016 5:34am
MX Guy wrote:
Do you think more pro level MX athletes should transition to Supermoto? In your view was/is it the same fun? More laid back maybe?
Hi MX Guy, this is actually something we have seen in the past where pros retire from SX and land a spot in Supermoto. Compared to...
Hi MX Guy, this is actually something we have seen in the past where pros retire from SX and land a spot in Supermoto. Compared to a full season of SX and MX, you're right, Supermoto is more mellow but I think you'd see that change as the number of participants increases. I believe Supermoto would be a great place for not only guys who are "aging out" but for young privateers who lack support in their own motor sport to make the switch to. This in turn could provide them the opportunity to gain support and continue to race.
This was how it was back in the early days of the AMA, but the TV and the AMA turned it into SupermotoX and all the guys who were good at Supermoto, couldn't run the pace, Road Race guys who didn't have the skills to bust out huge jumps, but who would have bought kudos to the sport just quit.

Factory KTM had 10 guys at the first AMA national , and not one of them was an SX guy, there were flat track boys, road racers , desert guys and everything.. even a nobber like me could run the pace , because I had speed on asphalt and was good enough in the dirt.. by the time the urbancross came in at the end of the season, and the appearance of technical dirt in the second year , anyone without a pro MX background was wasting their time.

It needs to go back to how it was for the Superbikers at Carlsbad, fast , technical , but without an obstacle that gives a guy 2 seconds a lap because he is the only guy doing it.

That's why Mettet is so cool, the track is raceable for every ability, the 'new' track had doubles that only a few could do , and everyone else was wasting their time.

The AMA series looks like it is gaining momentum again, I hope it keeps going.
mxjon454
12/1/2016 5:16pm
When you talk about doing more events that will keep you on the starting line, are you talking about doing some sx and or mx rounds? Or supermoto and stuff like that? Would like to see you back out there. Thanks for your time
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/2/2016 6:22pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2016 6:26pm
Blake,

I always thought it was interesting how Pilot Point has had so many fast riders at the same time. Yourself, your brother, Hewitt, Alec Mellick (amatuer), John Short, etc. all active around the same time and conversely, not equally active around the same time. Just interesting to me.

You ever see many of them around there anymore? Of course, that is if you are there enough.

12/3/2016 8:28am
FahQ wrote:
Any chance of you showing up at any of the two stroke nationals on a factory TM 300?
Maybe an invite to Glen Helen?
Good idea FahQ, I'll talk with factory TM to see what we can do. I've heard good things about those events and would like to attend one next year. I'm in the process of filling my calendar for 2017 so we will see what happens.

The Shop

12/3/2016 8:42am
Hey Blake. Do you think the suzuki rmz 250 is an under appreciated bike? The general moto community for the most part really enjoys bashing the...
Hey Blake.

Do you think the suzuki rmz 250 is an under appreciated bike? The general moto community for the most part really enjoys bashing the bike. You spent a large portion of your racing career on an rmz 250. While the bike you rode was far from stock, I'm curious what you think of the bike compared to the other manufacturers.
Good question dbrunski125, I think you're right. A good portion of the industry does seem to rag on Suzuki. Although personally I think that it is a great bike, it is easy to see they have fallen behind in the R&D department over the last 5-10 years. I'm going to be rooting for local Texan and Factory Suzuki lites rider Matt Bisceglia. I feel confident that they will come up with a competitive package this year.
12/3/2016 10:00am
Hi Blake, love your style, so unique, and really appreciate you coming on and answering our questions.

1) What is the average rate a top 10 guy pays for an elite trainer? And do you think there is a need for more accredited/licenced trainers that specialize in motocross and understand the physical demands of the sport?

2) What kind of track changes would you like to see for supercross? A lot of us would like to see something different than the old cookie cutter track designs, and possibly safer; what does a real pro have to say?

Good luck to you sir!

12/3/2016 4:01pm
Hi Blake

Any plans for you to prehaps do another Loretta Lyn's ? Pre haps relive the childhood dream chase another amateur title?

With ur professional background I can see you being very successful training for an amateur is this something you consider?
Given ur success throughout your pro career I think you would make a terrific coach for a few up and comers!

Cheers!
12/6/2016 5:56pm
Grenader26 wrote:
I loved watching you race but the big question is what influences has Justin Blocker had on your hair care?
Hey Grenader26. Justin Blocker is a fine Dentonite and has influenced me in many ways over the years...like the time at Chipotle, just ask him.
12/6/2016 6:01pm
Thanks for taking time to answer questions. Do you feel at this time in your life, that if an offer to race sx came along, would...
Thanks for taking time to answer questions.

Do you feel at this time in your life, that if an offer to race sx came along, would you take it? or are you done with that part and would rather explore other disciplines, (including supermoto) such as off road or endurocross?
Hey Phillip_Lamb. I have been able to learn a great deal off the bike over the last two years, but would certainly entertain the idea of returning to SX. I'm always up for new ventures and am looking to fill my 2017 calendar. Keep an eye out for me.
12/6/2016 6:05pm
If you could go back in time and attend any one live musical performance, who/ what would it be? By the way thanks for taking the...
If you could go back in time and attend any one live musical performance, who/ what would it be?

By the way thanks for taking the time, and MUCH respect for the talent on and off a dirtbike.
Hey snackfedbear, I would go back in time to see Alice in Chains perform their "Jar of Flies" album with front man Lane Staley.
12/6/2016 6:16pm
Any regrets you have in the sport? You obviously had a stellar career but anything you wish you had done different?
That's the question, isn't it rhargrave431? I feel like every racer would like to go back a time or two when looking in retrospect. All-in-all I feel like each year I was willing to do whatever it took to be a top contender. Would I like to go back and redo a few costly mistakes? Sure, but I don't find myself losing sleep at night wishing I'd left it all on the table.
Banzai551
12/6/2016 7:28pm
Hey Blake. Always enjoyed watching you ride, just not when you were ahead of my son. Lol! Last time we raced with ya was Branson 06. Glad to see how far you got into this sport. Was a...,no brainer after seeing you ride methodically. Wish the best in your new endeavors. As someone of faith, who would love to check oit Israel one day...can you explain your experience please? Good riding areas? Track and free riding? Did you feel safe while there? Would love some in site. Thanks Blake

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Blake Wharton

The Latest