Vinyl Wrap Forks

Edited Date/Time 8/26/2020 3:27pm
Had some leftover Avery Vinyl so I decided to wrap my forks . The vinyl conformed super nicely and looks great. I’ll use it for a while to protect the forks and then peel off. I only finished one side but I’ll take close up pics tomorrow.

If anyone is interested in doing this, I advise you to use Avery or 3M products. All I did was prep with rubbing alcohol and cut two pieces. One for the top and one for the bottom of forks.

The coolest part, if you get tired of the look, simply peel off.

|
XC706
Fantasy
668th
8/25/2020 8:37pm
Are you going to be able to remove the forks with the wrap on ?
TomC31
8/25/2020 10:32pm
XC706 wrote:
You’d need to remove the top vinyl to slide down
Very cool ! It looks good, i vinyl wrapped my forks on my last bike and peeled it off to sell and the forks looked brand new! Only pain as you said is you have to peel the top piece off to pull them out !

8/26/2020 7:12am
XC706 wrote:
You’d need to remove the top vinyl to slide down
TomC31 wrote:
Very cool ! It looks good, i vinyl wrapped my forks on my last bike and peeled it off to sell and the forks looked brand...
Very cool ! It looks good, i vinyl wrapped my forks on my last bike and peeled it off to sell and the forks looked brand new! Only pain as you said is you have to peel the top piece off to pull them out !

That looks clean!

The Shop

Rusty Pistol
12/21/2023 5:17pm
Had some leftover Avery Vinyl so I decided to wrap my forks . The vinyl conformed super nicely and looks great. I’ll use it for a...
Had some leftover Avery Vinyl so I decided to wrap my forks . The vinyl conformed super nicely and looks great. I’ll use it for a while to protect the forks and then peel off. I only finished one side but I’ll take close up pics tomorrow.

If anyone is interested in doing this, I advise you to use Avery or 3M products. All I did was prep with rubbing alcohol and cut two pieces. One for the top and one for the bottom of forks.

Hey man! I've been trying to figure this wrap thing out and came across your photos. I have a Husky as well. I was wondering cuz I can't zoom in enough to make it out, is that a fork dust cover at the bottom of the fork tube lower? Or did you just use heat to stretch the wrap to make it mold to that shape? It looks like there's some sort of black cap there at the bottom of the lower, but let me know please!!!!

McG194
12/21/2023 6:10pm

If you are wrapping your forks and want a nice line you may want to look into knifeless tape. Just put the tape on the fork, wrap and overlap the ends and pull the tape. It will leave an absolutely perfect line. 

12/21/2023 6:34pm
Had some leftover Avery Vinyl so I decided to wrap my forks . The vinyl conformed super nicely and looks great. I’ll use it for a...

Hey man! I've been trying to figure this wrap thing out and came across your photos. I have a Husky as well. I was wondering cuz...

Hey man! I've been trying to figure this wrap thing out and came across your photos. I have a Husky as well. I was wondering cuz I can't zoom in enough to make it out, is that a fork dust cover at the bottom of the fork tube lower? Or did you just use heat to stretch the wrap to make it mold to that shape? It looks like there's some sort of black cap there at the bottom of the lower, but let me know please!!!!

Hi, I just stretched it to mold over right above the dust cover. I didn’t use heat just slowly applied pressure and it applied perfectly. Hope this helps! 

Rusty Pistol
12/22/2023 9:24am
McG194 wrote:
If you are wrapping your forks and want a nice line you may want to look into knifeless tape. Just put the tape on the fork...

If you are wrapping your forks and want a nice line you may want to look into knifeless tape. Just put the tape on the fork, wrap and overlap the ends and pull the tape. It will leave an absolutely perfect line. 

GOOD LOOKING OUT!! I was wondering about how to best cut off the excess since I'd rather have an overlap to cut vs coming up even a mm short. Thanks for this! Hopefully when I do what the OP said with stretching it to mold that shape, I can do it cleanly too since the bottom of that fork tube has the different shape but the rest is smooth. I guess it's all the same whether the shape is there or not since you'd be stretching the whole length of the wrap. I'm sure it'll take a couple tries anyway but this knifeless tape is a huge come up!

12/22/2023 10:08am

When We do customers forks, We use 3M 1080 or 2080 wrap  to cover the tube from seal to clamp and between clamps. Then we put the thicker MX style graphic on top of those areas. We cut the MX material shorter so it doesn't need to conform around the bell/bulges by the seals.  And then on the upper area between the top and bottom clamps, we cut that piece so it has a small gap in the back to make easier to remove.The vehicle wrap style vinyl covers the entire upper tube and we match the color of the graphic to the wrap. The thicker moto graphic material is needed to protect from roost .  The small areas that are exposed, are somewhat protected by the fork guards . We have removed 3M vehicle wrap off of vehicles after a few years and it comes off clean, with little to no adhesive left behind. That is another reason we use it under the graphic on the forks. Its a real pain to remove if not. 

We precut the MX vinyl. Knifeless tape is great for the wrap vinyl. I would recommend practicing with the way the tape works on something so You do not rip the finished fork wrap.  It can be tricky to get started so leaving a long amount at both ends helps. That way if You break it You still have the other end to pull from. 

If You look at the pics You can see the thicker material ending. We also put strips in between the split style clamps. Only the 3m wrap in there so it is easy to remove when the time comes.  We put the starting device on, on top of the 3M vinyl on these examples and they have not had any issues . 

You can use the 3m or other brand vehicle wrap vinyl to change the color of the fork, and then put a set of Showa, KYB, WP, etc on top of the wrap. In the examples below we used black. But You can also use transparent colors and give an anodized look.  Vehicle wrap vinyl will be easier to put on, and easier to remove when You decide to remove it.  There is also thicker PPF (Paint Protection Film) that comes in colors now that might be a good option too. PPF has amazing impact resistance and self healing. I have used clear PPF headlight film on fork decals before and they stayed glossy much longer than the regular MX vinyl . Plus it is self healing so a wipe with Isopropyl alcohol and or some heat, and small scuffs  will disappear. Gasgas Blacked out forks 1Gasgas Blacked out forks clamp areaBlacked out forks Gasgas Barcia edditionGasgas  85 forkGasgas 85

MC943
12/22/2023 10:26am

I don’t see the point, just more weight and troubles for little blink blink. 

12/22/2023 11:31am
MC943 wrote:

I don’t see the point, just more weight and troubles for little blink blink. 

With Vehicle wrap, it is very very very little added weight.  Other than the looks, it will add some protection to the fork tubes. If You use the thicker decals on top or PPF it can protect from impacts that would put a ding in the leg otherwise. It is mostly for looks though. 

What's wrong with wanting to change the looks of your bike? There are many other mods that will impact performance more or add more weight . Its something that anybody can try and  easy to reverse if You do not like it. Its pretty cheap if You do it yourself . It can be time consuming  on some bikes. But its winter and it might give somebody a fun little project . 

hititpind
12/22/2023 12:31pm

Looks awesome. That transparent film on the Gas Gas is clean.

MC943
12/22/2023 12:35pm

Well dirt bike is not a vehicle.   in my opinion if it doesn’t add performance or make me go faster on a dirt bike and just brings more maintenance, it won’t make sense for me . But that is just me , if people want to tinker with some sticker every time they take the forks down , all good . 

12/22/2023 9:29pm
When We do customers forks, We use 3M 1080 or 2080 wrap  to cover the tube from seal to clamp and between clamps. Then we put...

When We do customers forks, We use 3M 1080 or 2080 wrap  to cover the tube from seal to clamp and between clamps. Then we put the thicker MX style graphic on top of those areas. We cut the MX material shorter so it doesn't need to conform around the bell/bulges by the seals.  And then on the upper area between the top and bottom clamps, we cut that piece so it has a small gap in the back to make easier to remove.The vehicle wrap style vinyl covers the entire upper tube and we match the color of the graphic to the wrap. The thicker moto graphic material is needed to protect from roost .  The small areas that are exposed, are somewhat protected by the fork guards . We have removed 3M vehicle wrap off of vehicles after a few years and it comes off clean, with little to no adhesive left behind. That is another reason we use it under the graphic on the forks. Its a real pain to remove if not. 

We precut the MX vinyl. Knifeless tape is great for the wrap vinyl. I would recommend practicing with the way the tape works on something so You do not rip the finished fork wrap.  It can be tricky to get started so leaving a long amount at both ends helps. That way if You break it You still have the other end to pull from. 

If You look at the pics You can see the thicker material ending. We also put strips in between the split style clamps. Only the 3m wrap in there so it is easy to remove when the time comes.  We put the starting device on, on top of the 3M vinyl on these examples and they have not had any issues . 

You can use the 3m or other brand vehicle wrap vinyl to change the color of the fork, and then put a set of Showa, KYB, WP, etc on top of the wrap. In the examples below we used black. But You can also use transparent colors and give an anodized look.  Vehicle wrap vinyl will be easier to put on, and easier to remove when You decide to remove it.  There is also thicker PPF (Paint Protection Film) that comes in colors now that might be a good option too. PPF has amazing impact resistance and self healing. I have used clear PPF headlight film on fork decals before and they stayed glossy much longer than the regular MX vinyl . Plus it is self healing so a wipe with Isopropyl alcohol and or some heat, and small scuffs  will disappear. Gasgas Blacked out forks 1Gasgas Blacked out forks clamp areaBlacked out forks Gasgas Barcia edditionGasgas  85 forkGasgas 85

That looks great!

yak651
Fantasy
192nd
12/23/2023 4:53am
MC943 wrote:
Well dirt bike is not a vehicle.   in my opinion if it doesn’t add performance or make me go faster on a dirt bike and just...

Well dirt bike is not a vehicle.   in my opinion if it doesn’t add performance or make me go faster on a dirt bike and just brings more maintenance, it won’t make sense for me . But that is just me , if people want to tinker with some sticker every time they take the forks down , all good . 

Yet you paid extra for the monster edition yz that is just different stickers 🤷‍♂️

mxb2
12/23/2023 6:03am
MC943 wrote:
Well dirt bike is not a vehicle.   in my opinion if it doesn’t add performance or make me go faster on a dirt bike and just...

yak651 wrote:

Yet you paid extra for the monster edition yz that is just different stickers 🤷‍♂️

Exactly

Gator724
12/23/2023 11:29am

Nice job! Looks super good, I wrap for a living. I’m gonna have to do this on my crf 

eztevam
2/4/2024 8:38pm
When We do customers forks, We use 3M 1080 or 2080 wrap  to cover the tube from seal to clamp and between clamps. Then we put...

Can you sell a set of this ? Please 

all black for a 19-22 husqvarna fs450

Post a reply to: Vinyl Wrap Forks

The Latest