Vintage 1975 Honda Elsinore CR125M

newmann
3/8/2019 9:16am
Elsinores do dominate, but you cant run a '75 in AHRMA vintage, right? Jake's bike is a post-vintage machine, with the cutoff year for Elsinores being...
Elsinores do dominate, but you cant run a '75 in AHRMA vintage, right?

Jake's bike is a post-vintage machine, with the cutoff year for Elsinores being '74. Not sure how (or if) that affects value.
The 75 CR125M is basically an identical bike to the 1974 model therefore it qualifies as vintage legal.
Gworm
3/8/2019 9:25am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2019 9:29am
chrisg19
Fantasy
4437th
3/8/2019 9:26am
You should race it. The vintage scene is a lot of fun, and that would be a cool story racing the same bike your mom raced. Definitely don’t sell it. You will regret it if you do.
newmann
3/8/2019 9:33am
newmann wrote:
Didn't one of our fellow Vitards even sacrifice a nice fuel tank so new ones could be made??? http://re-mx.com/honda-cr125-cr250-parts/1974-elsinore-cr125-fuel-tank [img]https://re-mx.com/image/cache/data/cr125_cr250/painted_steel_1974_cr125m_fuel_tank-500x280.jpg[/img]
Didn't one of our fellow Vitards even sacrifice a nice fuel tank so new ones could be made???

http://re-mx.com/honda-cr125-cr250-parts/1974-elsinore-cr125-fuel-tank

AHRMA361 wrote:
Yeah. It was my tank. Gary never disclosed they were going to destroy my original tank to pattern the repops. Later he told me he would...
Yeah. It was my tank. Gary never disclosed they were going to destroy my original tank to pattern the repops.

Later he told me he would get me a nice original tank. That was a few years ago now. Still nothing even though I have asked a few times.

Yeah, I'm bitter.
That's a damn shame. I've been meaning to order up a couple of them to just sit on the shelf for future projects. Shall I make mention??

The Shop

3/8/2019 9:52am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2019 9:56am
Elsinores do dominate, but you cant run a '75 in AHRMA vintage, right? Jake's bike is a post-vintage machine, with the cutoff year for Elsinores being...

Jake's bike is a post-vintage machine, with the cutoff year for Elsinores being '74. Not sure how (or if) that affects value.
newmann wrote:
The 75 CR125M is basically an identical bike to the 1974 model therefore it qualifies as vintage legal.
Disregard post. Looks like you have it right
motomojo
3/8/2019 9:57am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2019 10:06am

Yes this is true i actually had to change the cylinder head on mine as i put it together from parts i found in several motorcycle salvage yards and unknowingly had a 75 cylinder head on it at the first National i went to.
Tech inspection disqualified me.
Fortunately it was a 74 engine and i had a 74 head in my parts box and was able to comply and race.
The 75 is pretty much legal with a 74 motor and a couple other things i think. Been years since i was a member could be wrong.
Great parts bike for someone who already has one outfitted for racing.

Just like when they first came out the line was full of Penton's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's', Hodska's etc...but after they were out a few months it was just a line full of Elsinore's. For AHRMA it's really the only competitive choice.
EDIT
Actually the 75 is AHRMA legal after thinking about it. It was a 76 cylinder head i had on my 74 that didn't fly at Tech it's a little bigger a couple more cooling fins.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
3/8/2019 10:09am
I'm not local but I would be interested if you decide to sell. You should really keep it because one day you will have more time and it would be cool to race the bike you mom raced.The vintage scene is a lot of fun.
abn166
3/8/2019 10:19am

I had both a 1974 and 1975 Elsinore. Here I am at Saddleback in 1975 on my Elsinore.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
3/8/2019 10:32am
newmann wrote:
AHRMA used to allow the 75 in Sportsman class if you used the 74 cylinder. The 75 cylinder has a boost port. The way to tell the difference is you can see light looking at the exhaust port through the fins on a 74. On a 75 you cant as there was extra casting material to facilitate the boost port.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
3/8/2019 10:36am
newmann wrote:
Didn't one of our fellow Vitards even sacrifice a nice fuel tank so new ones could be made??? http://re-mx.com/honda-cr125-cr250-parts/1974-elsinore-cr125-fuel-tank [img]https://re-mx.com/image/cache/data/cr125_cr250/painted_steel_1974_cr125m_fuel_tank-500x280.jpg[/img]
Didn't one of our fellow Vitards even sacrifice a nice fuel tank so new ones could be made???

http://re-mx.com/honda-cr125-cr250-parts/1974-elsinore-cr125-fuel-tank

AHRMA361 wrote:
Yeah. It was my tank. Gary never disclosed they were going to destroy my original tank to pattern the repops. Later he told me he would...
Yeah. It was my tank. Gary never disclosed they were going to destroy my original tank to pattern the repops.

Later he told me he would get me a nice original tank. That was a few years ago now. Still nothing even though I have asked a few times.

Yeah, I'm bitter.
newmann wrote:
That's a damn shame. I've been meaning to order up a couple of them to just sit on the shelf for future projects. Shall I make...
That's a damn shame. I've been meaning to order up a couple of them to just sit on the shelf for future projects. Shall I make mention??
Be my guest Joe. If you buy them directly from Gary (He owns Pro Wheel) you can surely mention it. RE-MX I believe is just selling them for him and probably has no idea about the history.
3/9/2019 3:34am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2019 3:36am

motomojo wrote:
Yes this is true i actually had to change the cylinder head on mine as i put it together from parts i found in several motorcycle...
Yes this is true i actually had to change the cylinder head on mine as i put it together from parts i found in several motorcycle salvage yards and unknowingly had a 75 cylinder head on it at the first National i went to.
Tech inspection disqualified me.
Fortunately it was a 74 engine and i had a 74 head in my parts box and was able to comply and race.
The 75 is pretty much legal with a 74 motor and a couple other things i think. Been years since i was a member could be wrong.
Great parts bike for someone who already has one outfitted for racing.

Just like when they first came out the line was full of Penton's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's', Hodska's etc...but after they were out a few months it was just a line full of Elsinore's. For AHRMA it's really the only competitive choice.
EDIT
Actually the 75 is AHRMA legal after thinking about it. It was a 76 cylinder head i had on my 74 that didn't fly at Tech it's a little bigger a couple more cooling fins.
AHRMA amateur tech can identify the year of the cylinder head over decades of equipment and hundreds of models. And I bet a pro could go through AMA Supercross tech right now (19 homologated models for all classes) with an engine out of a completely different manufacturer.
3/9/2019 6:17am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2019 6:22am
AHRMA amateur tech can identify the year of the cylinder head over decades of equipment and hundreds of models. And I bet a pro could go...
AHRMA amateur tech can identify the year of the cylinder head over decades of equipment and hundreds of models. And I bet a pro could go through AMA Supercross tech right now (19 homologated models for all classes) with an engine out of a completely different manufacturer.
Maybe in the MX events, but AHRMA Dirt Track tech was a joke for years. Raced using 75-76 MX / YZ 250 engines in Sportsman 250 for at least three years before they even knew what they were looking at. And an MX400B engine as well in 251-600 sportsman.

Had a legal 74 MX360 at one event ,sitting right next to the 400B bike, and they just looked at them, a bit confused.

Cases with no numbers stamped, an earlier 74 oil injection style clutch cover, and a Webco head was just enough to throw them off.

Post a reply to: Vintage 1975 Honda Elsinore CR125M

The Latest