Vintage 1975 Honda Elsinore CR125M

Related:
Create New Tag

3/7/2019 9:42 AM

So I get a call from my mom that she wants to sell her bike. My grandpa bought this bike in 1975 for my mom to race. She raced it 3 times and said this bike scares the hell out of her. Not sure if I should sell it or to hang on to it but if I did sell it I would like it to go to someone who appreciates the history. This bike still has it’s original nobbies. Photo
Photo

|

3/7/2019 9:45 AM

Nice bike. You'll likely get lots of interest. Unless you or your mom really need the money, keep it. Will do nothing but increase in value in the coming years.

|

3/7/2019 9:52 AM

Yeah that’s what I’m leaning towards is keeping it. My buddy told me that it would sell quicker than him selling his modern bikes. Thanks bubba

|

3/7/2019 9:58 AM

Your grandpa and mom are heroes. Sick bike. I'd keep it if I were you.

|

3/7/2019 10:04 AM

Jake Taylor wrote:

So I get a call from my mom that she wants to sell her bike. My grandpa bought this bike in 1975 for my mom to race. She raced it 3 times and said this bike scares the hell out of her. Not sure if I should sell it or to hang on to it but if I did sell it I would like it to go to someone who appreciates the history. This bike still has it’s original nobbies. Photo
Photo

I just sent you a private message.

|

3/7/2019 10:53 AM

Must... resist... buying... another... motorcycle... pinch

I'm sure Newman will chime in. How available are engine parts for these? I know small bore short travel vintage bikes are almost extinct at the races these days and I assume that's because the parts supply has dried up to the point that they're too expensive.

I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling it if you decide to. Not sure what it is worth if it is running alright. $2,500?

|

3/7/2019 12:01 PM

beautiful bike even better story. Cool grandpa bought that for her and she kept all these years. Try your best to keep it in the family

|

3/7/2019 12:06 PM

Sweet. The tank alone is worth what the bike cost new or close. What brand handlebars if you don't mind ?

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

3/7/2019 1:59 PM

My first MX bike!

|

3/7/2019 2:14 PM

Keep it!!!!

|

3/7/2019 6:41 PM

Nice....PM sent. I'm somewhat local and would be interested in putting it back on the track.

|

3/7/2019 6:45 PM

Every time I hear the word “Elsinore” I regret selling my ‘75 CR125.. Keep it, you’ll never get it back once it’s gone!!

I even handed the buyer ($175 selling price btw...) a perfect FMF porcupine head.. regret x 10...

|

3/7/2019 7:26 PM

731chopper wrote:

I'm sure Newman will chime in. How available are engine parts for these? I know small bore short travel vintage bikes are almost extinct at the races these days and I assume that's because the parts supply has dried up to the point that they're too expensive.

I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling it if you decide to. Not sure what it is worth if it is running alright. $2,500?

Lots and lots of parts for these old Elsinore's still available and they dominate the 125 classes in the AHRMA National MX series.
A pic of my 1997 AHRMA Sportsman 125 expert national title winning 74 125.

Just sold a box stock 74 125 a few months ago for 2K. Still have parts to build another complete 125 also have a restored 73 250.

Photo

|

3/7/2019 8:25 PM

731chopper wrote:

motomojo wrote:

Lots and lots of parts for these old Elsinore's still available and they dominate the 125 classes in the AHRMA National MX series.

Just sold a box stock 74 125 a few months ago for 2K. Still have parts to build another complete 125 also have a restored 73 250.

Photo

Nice looking bike. I race some of the ahrma races on my 75 kx250. Good times!

|

3/7/2019 9:47 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh9L38vFj5x/ I’d just run it like Mr. Brown.

|

3/8/2019 6:22 AM

My 75 CR125...in 75! Would love to have this one! Photo

|

3/8/2019 7:32 AM

slideways wrote:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh9L38vFj5x/ I’d just run it like Mr. Brown.

He's either burning a lot of old oil residue out of the pipe from running it hard, or the clutch side crank seal is going out.

|

3/8/2019 7:35 AM

731chopper wrote:

motomojo wrote:

Photo

Thats why moto was so popular back then. That thing is so bad ass, even compared to brand new bikes.
There is no way someone could see that and NOT want to ride it.

|

3/8/2019 7:53 AM

731chopper wrote:

I see one has already chimed in! There are so many new and aftermarket parts available for those to keep them up and running as well as no real shortage of used parts. I was working to organize all my old spares when we flooded here so I now still have a double mess to sort /clean and organize.

|

3/8/2019 7:55 AM

1stSSPZ wrote:

That's a damn cool pic there.

|

3/8/2019 8:01 AM

The handle bars I believe to be stock. Everything is stock except the carburetor and that was put on in 1975 from Northwest Honda in Houston because they say the stock carb was no good. Also the back fender is a after market because Jeff Golbow looped her out. When I was racing 125 novice/ 250 open, the Elsinore in a drag race would walk away from my 01 mod Cr125 and keep up with my 99 Cr250. The motor is a monster and is still in good shape. I did open the gas cap and it looks like there is a little rust in the tank. She has been under a tarp in the garage for about 8 years.

|

3/8/2019 8:12 AM

Bars are not stock. Nor the fork boots.

That said, it's a real time capsule. Do Not Sell It.

|

3/8/2019 8:21 AM

That is right I completely forgot that my pops did the inverted forks. Good eye my friend! This bike is 13 years older than me so it is a time capsule.

|

3/8/2019 8:21 AM

Everyone is saying keep it, but unless you or Mom have a real sentimental attachment or are really going to ride it, what's the point in keeping it? At this point, it's just an old dirt bike to most folks, but to someone that's been infected by the bug, it's a piece of history, a real diamond in the rough. Sounds like Mom is over it, and you aren't driven to go ride the thing; I agree- find someone that will treat it right.

|

3/8/2019 8:33 AM

I hear you Matt. Once you truly have the bug I honestly don’t think you can ever get rid of it. But the reality is I work 50+ hours a week and I’m in school at night for pipe welding. Also I have a 10yr old princess who is a little diva so the time of year is a little hectic but to be honest if the number is right everything is for sell.

|

3/8/2019 8:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/8/2019 8:49 AM

731chopper wrote:

motomojo wrote:

Photo

Elsinores do dominate, but you cant run a '75 in AHRMA vintage, right?

Jake's bike is a post-vintage machine, with the cutoff year for Elsinores being '74. Not sure how (or if) that affects value.

|

3/8/2019 8:44 AM

1stSSPZ wrote:

newmann wrote:

That's a damn cool pic there.

Thanks! That pic was taken at a track in Big Spring Texas, summer of 75. I was racing that bike and a 75 Bultaco 360 pursing in the Open class, hence the Bultaco jersey!

|

3/8/2019 8:47 AM

AHRMA361 wrote:

Bars are not stock. Nor the fork boots.

That said, it's a real time capsule. Do Not Sell It.

Didn't one of our fellow Vitards even sacrifice a nice fuel tank so new ones could be made???

http://re-mx.com/honda-cr125-cr250-parts/1974-elsinore-cr125-fuel-tank

Photo

|

3/8/2019 8:57 AM

Jake Taylor wrote:

That is right I completely forgot that my pops did the inverted forks. Good eye my friend! This bike is 13 years older than me so it is a time capsule.

I’m confused I guess, about the inverted forks.

|

3/8/2019 9:06 AM

Jake Taylor wrote:

Gworm wrote:

I’m confused I guess, about the inverted forks.

Forks look correct; just no boots stock

|