359th
4/27/2014 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2014 2:57pm
Ooppps
Regis
Fantasy
359th
4/27/2014 2:57pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2014 3:08pm
Grieby54 wrote:
I know that I will never fully understand the level of commitment and sacrifice that being at RV's level takes, and I accept that. But I...
I know that I will never fully understand the level of commitment and sacrifice that being at RV's level takes, and I accept that. But I know that he works hard and, doing something we all pay a lot of money to do as a hobby, has achieved enough financial success to retire at 27 and live a more comfortable life than 99% of the members of this board could ever hope for.

So while I agree with these top level athletes that we will never know what it's like to walk a mile in their shoes, they need to understand that they will never know what it's like to walk a lifetime in our shoes. They will never understand working 50+ hours a week in a cube. Ryan will never truly understand what it's like to struggle to make ends meet and monitor every penny spent so that the lights stay on. He will never understand that real burnout is 40 years in the work force where there is no entourage or fans. I will never own a Ferrari, nor will I ever have the ability to see the world like Ryan will get to. I will never get to retire with so much of my life left to live in such a huge house with a great piece of land.

I consider myself very blessed and I love the life that I live, but I get really tired of hearing these guys talk about how we don't understand how hard the grind is. Yes, they work incredibly hard for 10 - 15 years. But they'll never know what it's like to work incredibly hard in a different way for 40+ years pinching pennies all the way.

/rant
I find these posts funny in many, many ways.

I am sure Ryan knows what it is like to live in the real world, that's why he works as hard as he does at MX to not have to work in a cubicle for 50 hours a week.

The real world is full of many opportunities to get out of that cubicle.
We all make our own finish line.
hellion
4/27/2014 3:05pm
RV is awesome, but he sure does make any race he gets a good start in boring. Felt the same way about Jeremy, RC, and Stew at some point though.

The Shop

Stephon
4/27/2014 4:10pm
Regis wrote:
If RV decided to "do it differently" he would not be a legend in the sport. The reason he has all these titles is because he...
If RV decided to "do it differently" he would not be a legend in the sport.

The reason he has all these titles is because he works harder than anyone for them. He does lead a military style life. Everyday is regulated and scrutinized. If not by himself, it's his team, trainer and fans.

The guy has to have surgery to get any time off. He gets ankle surgery and misses the MXON and the fans call human traitor and a money hungry selfish person.

If he retired tomorrow, I would applaud him and thank him for putting lan great show the last few years.

Yes, he had a "choice" but he chose to be a champion.
Stephon wrote:
Regis, I think you missed my point. Completely. Did you really just explain to me why RV is a legend? I'm not new to the sport...
Regis, I think you missed my point. Completely.

Did you really just explain to me why RV is a legend? I'm not new to the sport - 30+ years and counting.

I agree that if he decided to "do it differently" he might not be a legend of the sport.
I agree that the reason he's earned the titles he earned might be because he works harder than anyone else.

Ryan Villopoto made an active choice to do what he's doing.

If he retired tomorrow I would also applaud and thank him for the great times. I'm thrilled to have been able to witness his greatness at several different venues across the country.

I'm glad he volunteered to be a pro motocross rider.

P.S. I don't think Tyler is dumb or a bad guy for what he posted; I just disagree.
Regis wrote:
Didn't miss your point at all. Of course, RV made a choice to what he is doing. He could have done it the "average" way and...
Didn't miss your point at all.

Of course, RV made a choice to what he is doing. He could have done it the "average" way and made a decent living or he could have done it the way he needed to do it to be the legend you acknowledged he is with your 30+ years in MX. There is a huge difference and lots of sacrifices between being an average athlete and a elite one.

People don't "volunteer" to be a championship caliber MX/SX rider. that statement right there is disrespectful to what it takes to be not just a pro MX'er but one that will go down as the best the sport has seen. You have to sacrifice a lot of your life to be the best at this sport. Not to mention when you start getting paid you have contractual obligations to be the best. Some people don't take those obligations as serious as others.

Yes, I know it was his choice to race SX and MX. I get what you are saying, Just find it disrespectful to compare it to being "drafted into the military" and implying he didn't have to choose MX/SX.

You are saying, it could always be worse and these guys are living the life they chose. I just have sympathy for someone who made the choice and dedicated himself 100%, no matter what career it is. We all have choices. But you can't be on top in MX and SX and enjoy life like the rest of us. You just can't. Its a lifelong grind, no days off and if you take days off, you just have to make up for them later. If you take days off, you become average. RV is not average.

What Tyler is saying is you can't have it both ways and some people (maybe not you) don't get what it takes to be number 1. They see the money, the gear, the races on the weekend, the fame and just expect the rider to enjoy what they get. They don't see the sacrifices and life long amount of work it took to get there.

All this talk about RV skipping the nationals for a knee injury and all the talk about his surgery last year and missing the MXON, all the heat he is getting and got from those decisions and all that just to take care of himself? The other guy, with 4 SX championships in a row.... Only did SX.

Tyler is merely trying to get people, that may not get it, that being number 1 for so long means sacrifices others don't make and that giving him shit for missing a race or potentially not doing a series or not "acting happy" is lame.
Nope, I don't think RV could have "done it average. Not the RV that I've seen...an "average RV" would be named "rv". Big difference between "RV" and "rv".

Of course RV volunteered to do what he did, the way he did it, which lead to him being a championship caliber MX/SX rider. I'm disrespectful to RV? That's laughable; I'd be an idiot. I'm not. I guess you're saying that RV did not go down his path willingly? I won't say that you're being disrespectful to his family, because I don't think you actually believe that.

I get that he's sacrificed a tremendous amount, which is only the beginning of what it takes to do what he's done. I only compared it to being drafted because of what Bowers wrote. Maybe you haven't seen it. According to Bowers, RV hasn't ever had a non-moto weekend trip, a beer with friends, a family, etc. I get that the sport was the catalyst behind the stress in his family, but how many families have that same stress and break up. My family pretty much sucks for the most parts and I have no MX/SX/LL titles...I don't even a bike anymore, LOL!

No, you're wrong in thinking that I'm saying "it could be worse". I didn't and I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is that what Tyler wrote is SO incredibly depressing that it makes it sound like RV was kidnapped at 3 months and has been made to work without compensation his entire life. There was no balance at all in what he wrote. If it's that bad for RV why would he continue to even next week? Then he says "step up and beat him yourself!" Give me break. I don't have the balls to do what RV or Bowers do week in/week out in my wildest dreams.

The only heat I'd give RV about possibly skipping the nationals and/or the MXdN would be out of my being selfish and wanting to see him blow my fucking mind...again. I really hope he's at Glen Helen, but if he isn't I'll understand.

We're all good. You summed it up with this line: Yes, I know it was his choice to race SX and MX
Stephon
4/27/2014 4:11pm
Grieby54 wrote:
I know that I will never fully understand the level of commitment and sacrifice that being at RV's level takes, and I accept that. But I...
I know that I will never fully understand the level of commitment and sacrifice that being at RV's level takes, and I accept that. But I know that he works hard and, doing something we all pay a lot of money to do as a hobby, has achieved enough financial success to retire at 27 and live a more comfortable life than 99% of the members of this board could ever hope for.

So while I agree with these top level athletes that we will never know what it's like to walk a mile in their shoes, they need to understand that they will never know what it's like to walk a lifetime in our shoes. They will never understand working 50+ hours a week in a cube. Ryan will never truly understand what it's like to struggle to make ends meet and monitor every penny spent so that the lights stay on. He will never understand that real burnout is 40 years in the work force where there is no entourage or fans. I will never own a Ferrari, nor will I ever have the ability to see the world like Ryan will get to. I will never get to retire with so much of my life left to live in such a huge house with a great piece of land.

I consider myself very blessed and I love the life that I live, but I get really tired of hearing these guys talk about how we don't understand how hard the grind is. Yes, they work incredibly hard for 10 - 15 years. But they'll never know what it's like to work incredibly hard in a different way for 40+ years pinching pennies all the way.

/rant
Regis wrote:
I find these posts funny in many, many ways. I am sure Ryan knows what it is like to live in the real world, that's why...
I find these posts funny in many, many ways.

I am sure Ryan knows what it is like to live in the real world, that's why he works as hard as he does at MX to not have to work in a cubicle for 50 hours a week.

The real world is full of many opportunities to get out of that cubicle.
We all make our own finish line.

Perfect!

Smart man that Ryan Villopoto!
Regis
Fantasy
359th
4/27/2014 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2014 4:25pm
Stephon wrote:
Regis, I think you missed my point. Completely. Did you really just explain to me why RV is a legend? I'm not new to the sport...
Regis, I think you missed my point. Completely.

Did you really just explain to me why RV is a legend? I'm not new to the sport - 30+ years and counting.

I agree that if he decided to "do it differently" he might not be a legend of the sport.
I agree that the reason he's earned the titles he earned might be because he works harder than anyone else.

Ryan Villopoto made an active choice to do what he's doing.

If he retired tomorrow I would also applaud and thank him for the great times. I'm thrilled to have been able to witness his greatness at several different venues across the country.

I'm glad he volunteered to be a pro motocross rider.

P.S. I don't think Tyler is dumb or a bad guy for what he posted; I just disagree.
Regis wrote:
Didn't miss your point at all. Of course, RV made a choice to what he is doing. He could have done it the "average" way and...
Didn't miss your point at all.

Of course, RV made a choice to what he is doing. He could have done it the "average" way and made a decent living or he could have done it the way he needed to do it to be the legend you acknowledged he is with your 30+ years in MX. There is a huge difference and lots of sacrifices between being an average athlete and a elite one.

People don't "volunteer" to be a championship caliber MX/SX rider. that statement right there is disrespectful to what it takes to be not just a pro MX'er but one that will go down as the best the sport has seen. You have to sacrifice a lot of your life to be the best at this sport. Not to mention when you start getting paid you have contractual obligations to be the best. Some people don't take those obligations as serious as others.

Yes, I know it was his choice to race SX and MX. I get what you are saying, Just find it disrespectful to compare it to being "drafted into the military" and implying he didn't have to choose MX/SX.

You are saying, it could always be worse and these guys are living the life they chose. I just have sympathy for someone who made the choice and dedicated himself 100%, no matter what career it is. We all have choices. But you can't be on top in MX and SX and enjoy life like the rest of us. You just can't. Its a lifelong grind, no days off and if you take days off, you just have to make up for them later. If you take days off, you become average. RV is not average.

What Tyler is saying is you can't have it both ways and some people (maybe not you) don't get what it takes to be number 1. They see the money, the gear, the races on the weekend, the fame and just expect the rider to enjoy what they get. They don't see the sacrifices and life long amount of work it took to get there.

All this talk about RV skipping the nationals for a knee injury and all the talk about his surgery last year and missing the MXON, all the heat he is getting and got from those decisions and all that just to take care of himself? The other guy, with 4 SX championships in a row.... Only did SX.

Tyler is merely trying to get people, that may not get it, that being number 1 for so long means sacrifices others don't make and that giving him shit for missing a race or potentially not doing a series or not "acting happy" is lame.
Stephon wrote:
Nope, I don't think RV could have "done it average. Not the RV that I've seen...an "average RV" would be named "rv". Big difference between "RV"...
Nope, I don't think RV could have "done it average. Not the RV that I've seen...an "average RV" would be named "rv". Big difference between "RV" and "rv".

Of course RV volunteered to do what he did, the way he did it, which lead to him being a championship caliber MX/SX rider. I'm disrespectful to RV? That's laughable; I'd be an idiot. I'm not. I guess you're saying that RV did not go down his path willingly? I won't say that you're being disrespectful to his family, because I don't think you actually believe that.

I get that he's sacrificed a tremendous amount, which is only the beginning of what it takes to do what he's done. I only compared it to being drafted because of what Bowers wrote. Maybe you haven't seen it. According to Bowers, RV hasn't ever had a non-moto weekend trip, a beer with friends, a family, etc. I get that the sport was the catalyst behind the stress in his family, but how many families have that same stress and break up. My family pretty much sucks for the most parts and I have no MX/SX/LL titles...I don't even a bike anymore, LOL!

No, you're wrong in thinking that I'm saying "it could be worse". I didn't and I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is that what Tyler wrote is SO incredibly depressing that it makes it sound like RV was kidnapped at 3 months and has been made to work without compensation his entire life. There was no balance at all in what he wrote. If it's that bad for RV why would he continue to even next week? Then he says "step up and beat him yourself!" Give me break. I don't have the balls to do what RV or Bowers do week in/week out in my wildest dreams.

The only heat I'd give RV about possibly skipping the nationals and/or the MXdN would be out of my being selfish and wanting to see him blow my fucking mind...again. I really hope he's at Glen Helen, but if he isn't I'll understand.

We're all good. You summed it up with this line: Yes, I know it was his choice to race SX and MX
Too much to read boss. We are saying the same thing in differen ways and understanding it a bit different.

I get you. It's all good!
Overdrive
4/27/2014 4:49pm
This thread makes me LOL, I bet it makes RV LOL as well. You people think way to much.
Crash82
Fantasy
2187th
4/27/2014 4:53pm
Grieby54 wrote:

/rant
Crash82 wrote:
I hate to agree with you but i do. Ryan comes off as an ungrateful as heck. there are so many riders I respect more because...
I hate to agree with you but i do. Ryan comes off as an ungrateful as heck. there are so many riders I respect more because they also bust their ass but just to break even or loose money and they don't whine.
Grieby54 wrote:
Ryan never whines. Ever. That being said, he certainly doesn't try to act like he's loving every minute of it (not that he needs to).
Cool we disagree then! That's a relief.
rebus
4/27/2014 5:30pm
level wrote:
It's a brutal sport and I appreciate his honesty. Perhaps my impression of him was wrong. I like that he is honest that it feels like...
It's a brutal sport and I appreciate his honesty. Perhaps my impression of him was wrong. I like that he is honest that it feels like a job because well it is. There is not a whole lot of joy in it like we get going out on the weekends. However, when they win a championship it probably all seems worth it to them. Another thing about this sport that probably is really difficult to deal with is the injuries and the risks you have to take to be the best. That has to wear on you mentally as well.
Of course it's a job, that's what he gets paid for. The difference is that he gets paid a lot of money and doesn't really work the same as most people. These sports stars put a lot of effort and commitment into what they do but it's not like the working class who often times work much harder. Sports don't make the world go round and when a guy like Bowers says purposeless job he is insulting a lot of people who work hard and actually contribute and give back. People like doctors, nurses, firemen, police, military, etc, etc all have jobs that are not purposeless and often times require work loads that would put athletes to shame.
wow123
4/27/2014 10:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2014 10:23pm
Grieby54 wrote:
I know that racing feels like a job to him. A job that is, without a doubt, harder than mine. However, I'm not making a 7-8...
I know that racing feels like a job to him. A job that is, without a doubt, harder than mine. However, I'm not making a 7-8 figure annual salary. I don't get to retire before I turn 30. He has certainly faced a different set of struggles and obstacles than I have, but he is about to get to walk away from the grind. I still have another 35 years to go.
sorry man, I just don't get this kind of thinking, there are millions making much more than you or I, should
we think about that? I know im not.

now if you want a real eye opener, go live in a poor 3rd world country on their wages and get back to me about grind
jeffro503
4/27/2014 10:56pm
level wrote:
It's a brutal sport and I appreciate his honesty. Perhaps my impression of him was wrong. I like that he is honest that it feels like...
It's a brutal sport and I appreciate his honesty. Perhaps my impression of him was wrong. I like that he is honest that it feels like a job because well it is. There is not a whole lot of joy in it like we get going out on the weekends. However, when they win a championship it probably all seems worth it to them. Another thing about this sport that probably is really difficult to deal with is the injuries and the risks you have to take to be the best. That has to wear on you mentally as well.
rebus wrote:
Of course it's a job, that's what he gets paid for. The difference is that he gets paid a lot of money and doesn't really work...
Of course it's a job, that's what he gets paid for. The difference is that he gets paid a lot of money and doesn't really work the same as most people. These sports stars put a lot of effort and commitment into what they do but it's not like the working class who often times work much harder. Sports don't make the world go round and when a guy like Bowers says purposeless job he is insulting a lot of people who work hard and actually contribute and give back. People like doctors, nurses, firemen, police, military, etc, etc all have jobs that are not purposeless and often times require work loads that would put athletes to shame.
God.....you can be such a sour puss! Pinch
Grieby54
4/28/2014 6:07am
Grieby54 wrote:
I know that racing feels like a job to him. A job that is, without a doubt, harder than mine. However, I'm not making a 7-8...
I know that racing feels like a job to him. A job that is, without a doubt, harder than mine. However, I'm not making a 7-8 figure annual salary. I don't get to retire before I turn 30. He has certainly faced a different set of struggles and obstacles than I have, but he is about to get to walk away from the grind. I still have another 35 years to go.
wow123 wrote:
sorry man, I just don't get this kind of thinking, there are millions making much more than you or I, should we think about that? I...
sorry man, I just don't get this kind of thinking, there are millions making much more than you or I, should
we think about that? I know im not.

now if you want a real eye opener, go live in a poor 3rd world country on their wages and get back to me about grind
Read the rest of my first post. I love my life and feel very blessed.
TerryK
4/28/2014 6:15am
He's now a 4x champ, one of the greatest ever, dominant when he on and he is who he is. He's never fake and never has rehearsed words. He doesn't owe any of us anything.
JB 19
4/28/2014 6:24am
level wrote:
Listen, I am not complaining first of all. I love the kid, one of the greatest riders ever. However, doesn't he just come across as not...
Listen, I am not complaining first of all. I love the kid, one of the greatest riders ever.

However, doesn't he just come across as not really enjoying what he's doing? He always kind of seems like he's in a bad mood like well here I go again, don't really want to be here but might as well. He also comes across a little stand offish to the reporters even though he is more than friendly enough he just puts off a vibe that he would rather not be interviewed.

Is it just me here that thinks this? If I am right in my perception of him what do you think bugs him most about what he is doing and why he can't enjoy it more? Is it the constant training, just so much damn hard work, the politics, people around him?

Guys a warrior and maybe he's just freakin tired and wants to relax. It's a very demanding job for sure.
Have you ever been under unbelievable brain crushing stress? ...................every hour of every day?....................for like 5 years straight?...................................ok then.

It's no wonder that Carmichael retired at 26 and Hannah never wanted to go near a dirt bike when he hung it up. If you don't get it then I guess you don't get it.
JW381
4/28/2014 7:11am
This.

That's all I was getting at. Don't know where people get these ideas that fans don't like him because he's so dominant or he is going to retire. For me, it's 100% the fact that he seems unhappy dominating the sport, and as a fan it's uncomfortable and weird and I don't particularly like it. It's technically about my experience, not RV's, but RV's seemingly negative experience is having an effect on my fan experience.
Jimfunn
4/28/2014 7:18am
Brent wrote:
But, you are complaining. I respect him for what he has accomplished, not his personality as a public figure. I could care less that he's Salty...
But, you are complaining.

I respect him for what he has accomplished, not his personality as a public figure.

I could care less that he's Salty and a little irritable, I don't have to hang out with the guy every day. He does his job damn well and that's what counts.

Some riders, like Canard and Windham, are personable and like talking to people, Villopoto doesn't seem to be one of those guys.
"another words" & "I could care less"

in other words, I couldn't care less.
Hut
4/28/2014 7:40am
Once you get 4 consecutive titles and continually dominate the absolute greatest mofos in the world you can have any face you want; bitchy resting face or anything. The world is yours!
Sandberm
4/28/2014 7:40am
Outsider wrote:
Why cant we have THAT Ricky Carmichael in the booth every week?

Thats what I always enjoyed about David Bailey in the booth, thoughtful intelligent analysis of the race. I could sit and listen to this Ricky all day long.

Post a reply to: Villopoto kind of bothers me a little

The Latest