Villopoto kind of bothers me a little

level
4/26/2014 10:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2014 7:40am
Listen, I am not complaining first of all. I love the kid, one of the greatest riders ever.

However, doesn't he just come across as not really enjoying what he's doing? He always kind of seems like he's in a bad mood like well here I go again, don't really want to be here but might as well. He also comes across a little stand offish to the reporters even though he is more than friendly enough he just puts off a vibe that he would rather not be interviewed.

Is it just me here that thinks this? If I am right in my perception of him what do you think bugs him most about what he is doing and why he can't enjoy it more? Is it the constant training, just so much damn hard work, the politics, people around him?

Guys a warrior and maybe he's just freakin tired and wants to relax. It's a very demanding job for sure.
|
jeffro503
4/26/2014 10:58pm
Combination of a couple things......

A.) Ryan has a really dry sense of humor. And you will not see him ever get emotional on the podium.

B ) This is a job that has taken a toll on the guy. Not sure when the end is coming......but it isn't to far away.

Another words......he's over it and just wants to finish his career healthy. He's a professional at his job and see's no reason to bring emotional bullshit into it. He's doing exactly what he's being paid to do.....win as much as possible. Either you love him or hate him......and Honestly I don't think he cares. He's made a great living and left a hell of a mark in this sport......weather anyone agrees with it or not.
4/26/2014 10:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2014 10:59pm
It's not to hard to understand, He is focused on the race and concentrates on the job at hand. If he rode like a regular Joe he would probably be smiling more but not as many wins or championships..
dantheman
4/26/2014 10:59pm
Stop taking these:

You'll harden the f^&k up and be less sensitive to every minute detail of a riders life who you do not know personally Wink
level
4/26/2014 11:00pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Combination of a couple things...... A.) Ryan has a really dry sense of humor. And you will not see him ever get emotional on the podium...

A.) Ryan has a really dry sense of humor. And you will not see him ever get emotional on the podium.

B ) This is a job that has taken a toll on the guy. Not sure when the end is coming......but it isn't to far away.

Another words......he's over it and just wants to finish his career healthy. He's a professional at his job and see's no reason to bring emotional bullshit into it. He's doing exactly what he's being paid to do.....win as much as possible. Either you love him or hate him......and Honestly I don't think he cares. He's made a great living and left a hell of a mark in this sport......weather anyone agrees with it or not.
Good point. His attitude is actually pretty healthy. It's a good balance. I have watched some off track videos when he trains during the week and he looks like he's having a good time so maybe it's just the way he comes across on broadcast tv.

The Shop

Brent
4/26/2014 11:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2014 11:05pm
But, you are complaining.

I respect him for what he has accomplished, not his personality as a public figure.

I could care less that he's Salty and a little irritable, I don't have to hang out with the guy every day. He does his job damn well and that's what counts.

Some riders, like Canard and Windham, are personable and like talking to people, Villopoto doesn't seem to be one of those guys.
mirramaxx
4/26/2014 11:06pm
I'm not sure where he said it but in an interview he stated that racing seems like a job. Going threw what he does day in and day out would get that way for sure. However he views riding a dirt bike its working !
jeffro503
4/26/2014 11:07pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Combination of a couple things...... A.) Ryan has a really dry sense of humor. And you will not see him ever get emotional on the podium...

level wrote:
Good point. His attitude is actually pretty healthy. It's a good balance. I have watched some off track videos when he trains during the week and...
Good point. His attitude is actually pretty healthy. It's a good balance. I have watched some off track videos when he trains during the week and he looks like he's having a good time so maybe it's just the way he comes across on broadcast tv.
You're completely 100% correct though on the way he comes across on the TV screen. Very dry , robot , no personality. And it's sad because people judge him off of that.....when in reality , people that know him , would tell you the exact opposite.

Truth is.....he's a wise ass , joking around SOB that likes to push peoples buttons. In " real ' life.....he is not anything like what you see on camera. The dude is just 100% focused on his job.....to the point of almost lunacy. He takes his job very serious.....but when the time comes to hang up his boots and he isn't under all that pressure......you will see a different Rv if they can ever get a mic put back in front of him.

Honestly.....when he's done.....he's going to be hard to find IMHO.
4/27/2014 1:55am
He is just all business right now and sometimes that can be a little boring for the fans but there is still something to appreciate. He was on a higher level than everyone on the track last night and that was as clear as day. He was the only one tripling into the corner (same corner that had the "cheat" inside line where the tuff block was puched to the inside of the last roller). No one else did it once the whole night and he did it every lap. If you watched him, his traction out of corners, drive, form, was clearly a step above everyone else. Gave me new respect for his ability. He does nothing and says nothing strange.. it is just that people are drawn more to other personalities.

I saw him in the pits last night and for the first time noticed 2 big tatoos on his left arm I hadnt noticed before. They looked faded almost like he was in the process of getting them removed or they were those "fake" tatoos starting to wash off. What is up with that?

mike
burnside
4/27/2014 2:18am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2014 2:24am
Funny thing is, when you hear him on Pulp he doesn't sound boring at all. Always a funny interview. Usually taking the piss out of Matthes and telling him to get into shape... I can remember one episode where he was saying he should do an article for RacerX and go on an Aldon bootcamp. I was cracking up. Seems like a witty dude to me.

I also feel like Villopoto is from a post-RC era of robots - Dungey, Bagget, Canard, Barcia etc, is almost a "class of 2008" generational thing ... feels like some of the new kids are breaking loose a bit more from that corporate mentality. Hear less and less of the sponsership robot spiel these days which is a step in the right direction. Seems like there was a window 2-6 years ago where the new kids showed zero personality and it was the done "professional thing"... and RV is a product of the "class of 2008". haha
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
4/27/2014 2:29am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2014 2:35am
Tyler Bowers puts it well,

jeffro503
4/27/2014 2:38am
scott_nz wrote:
Tyler Bowers puts it well, [img]http://instagram.com/p/nR2Q_3A9mh/ [/img]

He put it very well indeed!
burnside
4/27/2014 3:06am
scott_nz wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
While this is well put, what he missed out is EVERYONE is different. I don't see Roczen and AC having the same demeanour in 5+ years and there have been great champions and sportsmen that worked every bit as hard as RV and that were under incredible pressure (corporate and otherwise) who still wore their heart on their sleeves and spoke their mind... Senna, Rossi, MC - anyone want to add to this list?

No one can question his heart and effort, but I think Matthes or Weege made the point that they wished the fans could see the real RV thats messing around in the truck . . . or the RV thats on Pulp MX being himself.

I am an RV fan by the way, I loved watching him come back from those savage injuries and crushing the Dungetards Wink and listening to his appearance on podcasts.. But whilst his riding is near perfect, his public persona is one area of his game he could improve wether he (or his entourage) think its important or not.
Stephon
4/27/2014 3:18am
scott_nz wrote:

This is putting it well? Really?

Did Ryan get drafted by the military?

Ryan Villopoto is a legend of my favorite sport. No question. Ryan Villopoto also could have decided to do different things with his life. It seems to me that he chose to try his hand at being a professional motorcycle racer and reached an insanely rare level of success...and he may not be finished achieving.

The things Tyler listed that Ryan gave up were largely by his own choice and it seems that he's been rewarded handsomely. Personally, I really hope he is able to walk away as healthy as possible, but make no mistake, he chose this road...warts and all.

Ryan doesn't owe me a smile or an explanation. I'd bet that he's MUCH more interesting away from spotlight, but maybe not. I'd also bet that he doesn't give a damn what I think.

I cheered Tyler on in Vegas last year at the shoot out, but I disagree with his notion that anyone is "running off the heroes of the sport".
conwaymx
4/27/2014 3:18am
MX is no different to any other sport where one guy is dominating.

Take Schumacher in F1, dominant through the early 2000s people thought he was arrogant and that he was damaging the sport making millions whilst other guys were paying for seats to drive.

The difference is that with social media people think they know everything about a rider from a few twitter updates and a few instagram photos. Tylers post sums up the true dedication/ sacrifice required, and before long that can outweigh the benefit, especially when you are financially stable.

RC's path is one which will become the norm, which is why riders like Windham will grow to be even bigger legends through time.
daemon616
4/27/2014 3:30am
I love how people judge other people. Some of us are introverts and you can't read a book buy it's cover. Nor can you sit there and tell someone what they're feeling basic on your stupid hypothesis. These threads are fkn retarded.
burnside
4/27/2014 3:35am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2014 3:40am
daemon616 wrote:
I love how people judge other people. Some of us are introverts and you can't read a book buy it's cover. Nor can you sit there...
I love how people judge other people. Some of us are introverts and you can't read a book buy it's cover. Nor can you sit there and tell someone what they're feeling basic on your stupid hypothesis. These threads are fkn retarded.
The perils of being public figure / pro athelete eh? Paid thousands of dollars to race AND promote brands... being 'judged' by the market is part of the job, for good or ill.
FIREfish148
4/27/2014 4:16am
Seems like Villo has the perfect balance of not caring too much, and caring the most. If that makes sense.

He kind of has that attitude like meh I don't really give a shit about this, but I'm going to make sure I beat all of you when it counts... but it doesn't matter.
wow123
4/27/2014 4:20am
I can't spend the rest of my life coming onto this stinking forum every ten minutes to pore over the excruciating minutia of every single daily event of rv!
rallendude
4/27/2014 6:23am
He is not having fun and has not had fun on a motocross track in years. It is a job and the kid works, I mean physically works, hard enough EVERY day to make most popcorn eaters physically ill. He does it because he has the drive to be a champion. Anything less is not acceptable. So he doesn't like what he does. But he's darned good at it. He is not looking forward to outdoors. He's burned out like many others are but he won't let up because he can't let those other knuckleheads get one over on him.

I figure there's a good chance he'll just quit with very short notice not too far in the future. An injury could speed it along. He has been impressive.
Regis
Fantasy
359th
4/27/2014 6:59am
scott_nz wrote:

Stephon wrote:
This is putting it well? Really? Did Ryan get drafted by the military? Ryan Villopoto is a legend of my favorite sport. No question. Ryan Villopoto...
This is putting it well? Really?

Did Ryan get drafted by the military?

Ryan Villopoto is a legend of my favorite sport. No question. Ryan Villopoto also could have decided to do different things with his life. It seems to me that he chose to try his hand at being a professional motorcycle racer and reached an insanely rare level of success...and he may not be finished achieving.

The things Tyler listed that Ryan gave up were largely by his own choice and it seems that he's been rewarded handsomely. Personally, I really hope he is able to walk away as healthy as possible, but make no mistake, he chose this road...warts and all.

Ryan doesn't owe me a smile or an explanation. I'd bet that he's MUCH more interesting away from spotlight, but maybe not. I'd also bet that he doesn't give a damn what I think.

I cheered Tyler on in Vegas last year at the shoot out, but I disagree with his notion that anyone is "running off the heroes of the sport".
If RV decided to "do it differently" he would not be a legend in the sport.

The reason he has all these titles is because he works harder than anyone for them. He does lead a military style life. Everyday is regulated and scrutinized. If not by himself, it's his team, trainer and fans.

The guy has to have surgery to get any time off. He gets ankle surgery and misses the MXON and the fans call human traitor and a money hungry selfish person.

If he retired tomorrow, I would applaud him and thank him for putting lan great show the last few years.

Yes, he had a "choice" but he chose to be a champion.
4/27/2014 7:59am
conwaymx wrote:
MX is no different to any other sport where one guy is dominating. Take Schumacher in F1, dominant through the early 2000s people thought he was...
MX is no different to any other sport where one guy is dominating.

Take Schumacher in F1, dominant through the early 2000s people thought he was arrogant and that he was damaging the sport making millions whilst other guys were paying for seats to drive.

The difference is that with social media people think they know everything about a rider from a few twitter updates and a few instagram photos. Tylers post sums up the true dedication/ sacrifice required, and before long that can outweigh the benefit, especially when you are financially stable.

RC's path is one which will become the norm, which is why riders like Windham will grow to be even bigger legends through time.
You missed his point and took it in a different direction. The guy's a champ he can act anyway he wants on podiums and in interviews etc.

Ryan actually doesn't enjoy what he's doing - he said exactly that in the interview a couple of days ago. I don't hold it against the guy, it's been a long long slog to get here, but he's really not enjoying it, in fact is probably hating it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him a) take a short break to recharge or b) retire on top. It's one thing to keep fighting when you love racing dirt bikes, it's another when you don't even enjoy it anymore.
jndmx
4/27/2014 8:08am
Regis wrote:
If RV decided to "do it differently" he would not be a legend in the sport. The reason he has all these titles is because he...
If RV decided to "do it differently" he would not be a legend in the sport.

The reason he has all these titles is because he works harder than anyone for them. He does lead a military style life. Everyday is regulated and scrutinized. If not by himself, it's his team, trainer and fans.

The guy has to have surgery to get any time off. He gets ankle surgery and misses the MXON and the fans call human traitor and a money hungry selfish person.

If he retired tomorrow, I would applaud him and thank him for putting lan great show the last few years.

Yes, he had a "choice" but he chose to be a champion.
This....
toroP
4/27/2014 8:39am
level wrote:
Listen, I am not complaining first of all. I love the kid, one of the greatest riders ever. However, doesn't he just come across as not...
Listen, I am not complaining first of all. I love the kid, one of the greatest riders ever.

However, doesn't he just come across as not really enjoying what he's doing? He always kind of seems like he's in a bad mood like well here I go again, don't really want to be here but might as well. He also comes across a little stand offish to the reporters even though he is more than friendly enough he just puts off a vibe that he would rather not be interviewed.

Is it just me here that thinks this? If I am right in my perception of him what do you think bugs him most about what he is doing and why he can't enjoy it more? Is it the constant training, just so much damn hard work, the politics, people around him?

Guys a warrior and maybe he's just freakin tired and wants to relax. It's a very demanding job for sure.
hmm. Maybe this attitude is one of the keys to his success. Maybe others would do better if they were more serious.

The guy is at the top of the sport. Maybe there is something to learn here.
gharmon
4/27/2014 8:40am
I've heard those podcasts, heard wedge and matthes talk about him. He is for sure different with a mic in his face. Some people just do not perform well under these conditions and it looks like poto is one of them.

I, for one don't think he has long left in this sport. He can't even force himself to say he likes it anymore (the MC interview). I believe when he is done with our sport that he may be one of those that never rides a bike again.

I, for one, will really hate the day that he hangs it up. I've only been watching SX/MX for a tad over ten years and have already had to come to terms with RC retiring now it appears the next greatest warrior of my ten years watching is about to come to an end.

That said maybe Tomac, AC or someone else will fill the void left by RV.
level
4/27/2014 9:04am
scott_nz wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
Well fuck now i feel bad.
rebus
4/27/2014 9:11am
scott_nz wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
level wrote:
Well fuck now i feel bad.
I don't know why, Bowers is wrong. These guys choose to do what they do and to say that our jobs are pressureless...well fuck that guy. Anyone who throws away their family for motocross is an idiot so I don't buy the bullshit "poor athlete had to sacrifice life" bit.

The only thing I do agree with is that RV doesn't deserve all the naysayers saying the crap they do about him.
ATKpilot99
4/27/2014 9:25am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2014 9:28am
scott_nz wrote:

There are plenty of people with so called "pressure-less" jobs that sacrifice a ton. I respect the talent and hard work these athletes put in but that comment was pretty clueless. Also I kinda understand the frustration he is expressing but he's really describing only part of the fanbase that unfortunately is heard from the most.
level
4/27/2014 9:38am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2014 9:40am
I think what riders need to understand is that us fans just like to point out what's on our minds sometimes.

RV is pretty special. There is really nothing bad you can say about the guy. Sure maybe he doesn't light it up with personality but he doesn't have to and I know deep down this guy is being professional for the cameras and off camera he is tons of personality.

When I wrote this I was assuming something that crossed my mind for a brief second then I went on with my day. I don't give a shit about RV any more than he gives a shit about me. I have my own family, life, work, kid, etc.

We are just fans that shoot the shit. Sometimes we are stupid as hell and say something without thinking but that's why we are here. We are fans of the sport and we like to talk shit sometimes. We don't think of these guys as humans sometimes but more of a action figure. At the end of the day we love these guys and are mesmerized by what they do and we want there autographs. We just also like to be fans and talk some shit.

Post a reply to: Villopoto kind of bothers me a little

The Latest