Vet mx club rules

Moto810
Question: Why do the clubs run different color number backgrounds? I talked to some of them about scoring and they do not use the colors in scoring so why require the colors?

Are there any other rules riders do not like about vet racing clubs?
|
kkawboy14
12/12/2016 7:31pm
When there are multiple classes on the track at the same time, you will know who is in your class.

If your a yellow background and a blue background is pushing you, let him go by, he's not in your class.

NorcalVet
12/12/2016 7:49pm
Same class; ie like yellow for novice

But there's additional classes by age like
30+
38+
45+
52+
And so on

Also if their a national champion / class champion
- they might run red or blue backgrounds and a top 25 #

Good to know who you running w/ during open practice and to pace yourself over obstacles /'different areas of the track
Moto810
12/12/2016 8:22pm
Ok so seems like color number plates are for the riders info only really. Do they do this at Vet world championship at Glen Helen?

Anything else that vet clubs do that stands out from normal racing? Good or bad?
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
12/12/2016 8:46pm
I wish off road races would do this. I get so tired of guys not in my class holding me up, and then when someone comes up on me not knowing if I need to fight or just let them by.

The Shop

FWYT
12/12/2016 8:59pm
Moto810 wrote:
Ok so seems like color number plates are for the riders info only really. Do they do this at Vet world championship at Glen Helen? Anything...
Ok so seems like color number plates are for the riders info only really. Do they do this at Vet world championship at Glen Helen?

Anything else that vet clubs do that stands out from normal racing? Good or bad?
Never occurred to me with the different colored plates but makes sense.

What I like about Vet racing is that I know that when my tongue in dragging in the spokes,
the other guys probably feel the same way. hahahhahah
TXDirt
12/12/2016 9:06pm
It's also to help the scorers. When you have a moto with staggered start (two or more classes on same gate) there is a good chance that some riders have same numbers. So the scorers can tell the class by the background. Not all places have automated scoring systems. There are actual people keeping track positions lap by lap on paper!!! Smile keepin it old school!!
Moto810
12/12/2016 9:26pm
Is there anything that one club does better than others? or certain vet races?
KMC440
12/12/2016 10:40pm
Moto810 wrote:
Ok so seems like color number plates are for the riders info only really. Do they do this at Vet world championship at Glen Helen? Anything...

FWYT wrote:
Never occurred to me with the different colored plates but makes sense. What I like about Vet racing is that I know that when my tongue...

What I like about Vet racing is that I know that when my tongue in dragging in the spokes,
That's the reason for the rubber flaps on front fenders in the 70's... aka tongue saver. Wink

Just wait till all these tongue pierced kids get older. Laughing
TeamGreen
12/13/2016 8:13am
Think of it as a " badge of honor".
I think of it as...a sign...that says...

"Old Guy. Do Not Run Over!"

Tim507
12/13/2016 8:16am
I like the different colored plates - then when an old guy is stomping in a young guy everyone gets to see who's whoWoohooSillyWhistling
TeamGreen
12/13/2016 8:22am
Tim507 wrote:
I like the different colored plates - then when an old guy is stomping in a young guy everyone gets to see who's whoWoohooSillyWhistling
Shhhhhh...

We'd never do that!

ps-young guy is one of'em punks in 0-30 or 0-40, right?
Tim507
12/13/2016 8:28am
Tim507 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Shhhhhh...

We'd never do that!

ps-young guy is one of'em punks in 0-30 or 0-40, right?
RIGHT!
Moto810
12/13/2016 8:32am
Any other things riders like about vet mx clubs? Do you like club practice days?
TeamGreen
12/13/2016 8:37am
Moto810 wrote:
Any other things riders like about vet mx clubs? Do you like club practice days?
All of it, but, namely...having the track to ourselves.

It makes for a calmer and less crowded day.
Moto810
12/13/2016 8:42am
Moto810 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
All of it, but, namely...having the track to ourselves.

It makes for a calmer and less crowded day.
That seems to be the common vibe. I do not see many people saying the rules themselves make or break a vet club. Most seem to want safe riding and a fun group of people to hang with from what I see. I do think vet racing is big because there are less moto's in the day. Your not waiting around for 30 moto's.
mjr119
12/13/2016 8:42am
Any of these "Vet Clubs" in the Southeast? Maybe NC area. How do they work? Do the clubs do private track rentals? Have their own track? You have my attention....
Moto810
12/13/2016 8:51am
mjr119 wrote:
Any of these "Vet Clubs" in the Southeast? Maybe NC area. How do they work? Do the clubs do private track rentals? Have their own track...
Any of these "Vet Clubs" in the Southeast? Maybe NC area. How do they work? Do the clubs do private track rentals? Have their own track? You have my attention....
All good questions.

I think the only vet racing org on the east coast is out of Virginia. Not big though.

The two main clubs on the west coast are the Over the Hill Gang and Old Timers. It is a mix of renting tracks and then tracks just throwing events for them. In CA is where all the vet clubs really are. Its big there! But Old Timers is all up and down the west coast. They throw National races. So each region has one race per year and people travel for it. Its cool!
JohnRoy
12/13/2016 8:59am
TXDirt wrote:
It's also to help the scorers. When you have a moto with staggered start (two or more classes on same gate) there is a good chance...
It's also to help the scorers. When you have a moto with staggered start (two or more classes on same gate) there is a good chance that some riders have same numbers. So the scorers can tell the class by the background. Not all places have automated scoring systems. There are actual people keeping track positions lap by lap on paper!!! Smile keepin it old school!!
That's what I thought also. But don't most classes that our staggered have the same colored background but just different age group? That's why I never understood the background deal.
wwoberg
12/13/2016 9:03am
mjr119 wrote:
Any of these "Vet Clubs" in the Southeast? Maybe NC area. How do they work? Do the clubs do private track rentals? Have their own track...
I am in a club called southeast vintage MX. sevintagemx.com.

Its not really a "vet" club or a "vintage" club because there are a number of modern bikes and a number of kids that race also. But, it is a very relaxed atmosphere, where the tracks are "old-school" friendly. We are in the process of revamping our web site. For 17, we plan on having races in TN, GA, AL, and SC. We usually ride Monster Mountain 2 time a year, memorial day weekend and labor day weekend. Come check us out in 17.
Hammer 663s
12/13/2016 9:15am
Moto810 wrote:
That seems to be the common vibe. I do not see many people saying the rules themselves make or break a vet club. Most seem to...
That seems to be the common vibe. I do not see many people saying the rules themselves make or break a vet club. Most seem to want safe riding and a fun group of people to hang with from what I see. I do think vet racing is big because there are less moto's in the day. Your not waiting around for 30 moto's.
There's a lot of benefits to Vet clubs. I raced OTHG for 5+ years in Norcal, and race Old Timers now since there's no real Vet racing in Oregon.

- Classes are policed pretty good for sandbaggers. If you are fast, you get bumped, so you end up competing against your own level.
- Safe riding. Yeah, it's moto, but the 52+ guys I ride with aren't gonna take you over a berm on purpose.
- Free ride days. Tracks have dedicated practice days just for vets, put on by the clubs, at no cost.
- Support motos. Your kids can race with you.
- Women's classes. So can your wife/girlfriend!
- Vet Prep. Often tracks will tone it down a bit for us old farts. I ain't whippin or scrubbin stuff and don't need 100' triples.
- Fewer motos. Start at 0800, drinking beer by 4:30 most days.
- The best friggin people in the world. My kids grew up at OTHG Sierra racetracks. They'd disappear for the entire day (and sometimes overnight!) and I NEVER worried about where they were.

Hammer 663s
Moto810
12/13/2016 9:35am
There's a lot of benefits to Vet clubs. I raced OTHG for 5+ years in Norcal, and race Old Timers now since there's no real Vet...
There's a lot of benefits to Vet clubs. I raced OTHG for 5+ years in Norcal, and race Old Timers now since there's no real Vet racing in Oregon.

- Classes are policed pretty good for sandbaggers. If you are fast, you get bumped, so you end up competing against your own level.
- Safe riding. Yeah, it's moto, but the 52+ guys I ride with aren't gonna take you over a berm on purpose.
- Free ride days. Tracks have dedicated practice days just for vets, put on by the clubs, at no cost.
- Vet Prep. Often tracks will tone it down a bit for us old farts. I ain't whippin or scrubbin stuff and don't need 100' triples.
- The best friggin people in the world. My kids grew up at OTHG Sierra racetracks. They'd disappear for the entire day (and sometimes overnight!) and I NEVER worried about where they were.

Hammer 663s
Yeah that sums it up. We need more of that up here in the Pacific NW. Its to bad Old Timers does not run more events here. I would like to see it be more like OTHG in NorCal as they have a full schedule of events.
b8res
12/13/2016 9:43am
TXDirt wrote:
It's also to help the scorers. When you have a moto with staggered start (two or more classes on same gate) there is a good chance...
In the OTHG we use transponders for scoring MyLaps which is really cool seeing lap times, ability to compare competitors within your class or compare your times to a more advanced class.
b8res
12/13/2016 9:57am
There's a lot of benefits to Vet clubs. I raced OTHG for 5+ years in Norcal, and race Old Timers now since there's no real Vet...

Hammer 663s
Moto810 wrote:
Yeah that sums it up. We need more of that up here in the Pacific NW. Its to bad Old Timers does not run more events...
Yeah that sums it up. We need more of that up here in the Pacific NW. Its to bad Old Timers does not run more events here. I would like to see it be more like OTHG in NorCal as they have a full schedule of events.
I wish you guys up in the PNW had a OTHG chapter! I think it would really be cool to have a National up there! Not sure how the rider turn out would be, meaning guys from So.Cal (G) chapter would have a long drive! But I"m sure it would be totally worth it! I've made the drive from Lodi to Elkton, OR for the Funky Chicken with 2 other guys and it was a really cool road trip!

Last year we had 13 non national races at the following venues Oatfield, Club Moto, 408MX, Prairie City, Riverfront MX, Dixon (Argyll) DT-1, Tulare, MMX, Hollister (GP Track), 4 Nationals at Prairie City, Fernly, Hollister, LACR and Dt-1 Tulare. That's a ton of moto's like 42 motos all year if you raced the entire season.

Good times!!!

kkawboy14
12/13/2016 10:01am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2016 10:01am
Moto810 wrote:

FWYT wrote:
Never occurred to me with the different colored plates but makes sense. What I like about Vet racing is that I know that when my tongue...

Except for that one old guy on a sweet 125 that passes everyone on the last 2 laps Smile
Moto810
12/13/2016 10:16am
b8res wrote:
I wish you guys up in the PNW had a OTHG chapter! I think it would really be cool to have a National up there! Not...
I wish you guys up in the PNW had a OTHG chapter! I think it would really be cool to have a National up there! Not sure how the rider turn out would be, meaning guys from So.Cal (G) chapter would have a long drive! But I"m sure it would be totally worth it! I've made the drive from Lodi to Elkton, OR for the Funky Chicken with 2 other guys and it was a really cool road trip!

Last year we had 13 non national races at the following venues Oatfield, Club Moto, 408MX, Prairie City, Riverfront MX, Dixon (Argyll) DT-1, Tulare, MMX, Hollister (GP Track), 4 Nationals at Prairie City, Fernly, Hollister, LACR and Dt-1 Tulare. That's a ton of moto's like 42 motos all year if you raced the entire season.

Good times!!!

I would like to do something up here. I know many vet riders who would like to be involved. To me though the thing that matters is you do not want to run the events. I feel the tracks should run the event per the club schedule and rules so that the club members can all enjoy their riding.
Hammer 663s
12/13/2016 10:24am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2016 10:25am
Moto810 wrote:
I would like to do something up here. I know many vet riders who would like to be involved. To me though the thing that matters...
I would like to do something up here. I know many vet riders who would like to be involved. To me though the thing that matters is you do not want to run the events. I feel the tracks should run the event per the club schedule and rules so that the club members can all enjoy their riding.
Unfortunately, that's what makes OTHG work so well - the club management team that oversees all riders and the events. They coord with the track owners, set up the schedule, validate prep, handle registration, timing, and scoring, and lots more. They are the key to the whole thing working smoothly. Without them the program would not work. I can't commit the time and energy it would take to do it here or I'd seriously consider starting an OTHG NW chapter. There's enough tracks here to support it. Too bad the weather sucks so much. Wink

Hammer 663s
b8res
12/13/2016 10:51am
With my limited time with the OTHG 3 years now and seeing how it's run from the outside looking in it's all about commitment to making it work, plus having board members that are passionate about the club and making the events fun and competitive for all. Also having track owners that support the idea is also a major plus.

moto810, if your serious and could muster up a group of core guys to put it all together I'd reach out to one of the Nor.Cal chapter presidents and ask those tough questions.

Good luck!
Moto810
12/13/2016 12:24pm
b8res wrote:
With my limited time with the OTHG 3 years now and seeing how it's run from the outside looking in it's all about commitment to making...
With my limited time with the OTHG 3 years now and seeing how it's run from the outside looking in it's all about commitment to making it work, plus having board members that are passionate about the club and making the events fun and competitive for all. Also having track owners that support the idea is also a major plus.

moto810, if your serious and could muster up a group of core guys to put it all together I'd reach out to one of the Nor.Cal chapter presidents and ask those tough questions.

Good luck!
Yes I have been working on this project for several months. Just trying to figure out the right direction for it. The PNW does have a strong group of vet riders and a vet club could be a great thing here as long as it put in place correctly. Making it fun for the members, easy to join, and good for the tracks is the key.
Wade221
12/13/2016 12:28pm
Moto810 wrote:
Yes I have been working on this project for several months. Just trying to figure out the right direction for it. The PNW does have a...
Yes I have been working on this project for several months. Just trying to figure out the right direction for it. The PNW does have a strong group of vet riders and a vet club could be a great thing here as long as it put in place correctly. Making it fun for the members, easy to join, and good for the tracks is the key.
I'm in!

Post a reply to: Vet mx club rules

The Latest