Vet Needs advice on a Brand new 2 Stroke 250

Hower131
Hey Vital.

Need some help with choosing.
About me: 30 years old, elite bicycle racer and use to race in my younger years. 80's Supermini, School Boy and C-B-Caught running money races and bumped to A class racer until I was 20 and Quit.

2 years ago I bought a ktm EXC-F. I'm ready to move on because I'm basically a professional practice rider and have no need for that bike anymore with my desired use.

I'm between a 2017 KTM 250sx, 150sx and a 2017 YZ250x. Leaning KTM. I'm not looking at used bikes at all as I don't have any interest in buying a possible issue or having something occur because I didn't know it existed...so no need to weigh in on that option.

My issue is that I read on other posts that people say pick the KTM hands down. but then I see people gripe about the carb, the reeds being stuck open, the Clutch slave leaking(have this issue on my ktm), air forks sticking in cold weather.
I also really like that KTM is developing 2 strokes still and the price really isn't that much more than a YZ250X thats over a decade old.

The YZ is the old war horse and is trusty as ever, but just not sure if I want to support Yamaha for only kinda updating the YZ.

Am I going to be putting 7K into a KTM only to be pissed off every couple weeks with a new issue?
Weigh in Please. I feel I've read alot of the posts that are out there and no one has given a "6 month" update on their 17 KTM.

Thanks everyone
|
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
3/17/2017 3:21pm
Thank you for your service to the US.

The Shop

fins227
3/17/2017 3:22pm
I went from 2013 ktm 300 to a 2015 yz250, and have been very happy with the decision. Others will say that the Yamaha is old tech. I prefer a refined motorcycle.
philG
3/17/2017 4:06pm
TM 300 is awesome, but in the US i would go with the Husky. 300 is great , its not like a fast 250, its like a slow 500, nice to ride , without being frantic.
tek14
3/17/2017 4:13pm
KTM sx250 is best of those. Just make sure reeds are tight and then you don't have problem with jetting.
That is first good 2-stroke that doesn't shake and have good power curve for anyone. Others are more on/off type 2-strokes.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
3/17/2017 4:15pm
just was talking with a guy who is on a TC250 and has raced the yz250 before.

The husk/ktm chassis is good, but like other bikes that are updated regularly there are some niggling issues mainly the air forks and shock need some sorting out.

overall it is better than the yz but marginally, its motor is stronger for sure and the chassis is sharper.

if i was buying NEW, i would choose KTM HUSKY, for a few reasons, one they are actively investing in the 2 stroke design, whilst yamaha has just hit the copy button as demand from dealers is still high enough to justify keeping it.

2nd the KTM is more advanced, comes with premium parts (like vforce etc) that you would otherwise be paying to add to the yz.

3rd its new. again its not a reheated 2002 bike. I have a 03 yz250 and my dad has a 17 yz250. literally almost NO difference.

YZ, its a very good bike. the fact that the existing model is fairly unchanged speaks volumes as to how good it was, BUT its showing its age and the only department its better than the ktm is suspension. with that being said i wouldnt buy a new one, only cuz you can buy a 2006 and its the same but half the price.
HenryA
3/17/2017 4:31pm
KTM KTM KTM KTM KTM ....or maybe a Husky if you're into white bikes
TeamGreen
3/17/2017 4:45pm
For me, the AER fork on the Husky was Waaaaay BETTER than the KYBs on the Yamaha
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
3/17/2017 5:05pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Husky

TX300

Done
Great bike but depends on what he wants to do and what level he is.
For an advanced rider who wants the bike only for motocross, the TC250 would be more suiting.
3/17/2017 5:56pm
Id grab a YZ 250 because they are dead nuts reliable, parts are easy to get, and because its been the same bike for a while the bike has been mastered by other riders. There are no unexpected situations with the YZ.

I had a 2010 YZ250 that was just awesome, should have never got rid of it.
BobPA
3/17/2017 5:57pm
Id grab a YZ 250 because they are dead nuts reliable, parts are easy to get, and because its been the same bike for a while...
Id grab a YZ 250 because they are dead nuts reliable, parts are easy to get, and because its been the same bike for a while the bike has been mastered by other riders. There are no unexpected situations with the YZ.

Could you actually justify paying that much for an 11 year old bike?
mxstate
3/17/2017 6:05pm
You can't go wrong with any listed in that thread.
I owned one of each but the TM (and plan to fix that in a not so long future because i just turned 50... Been drooling on the craftsmanship for years, plus it's not everybody's bike)

Currently on a 17TC 250.
Yes she drove me nuts for some time to get it running correctly but now it's fixed and it's an awesome bike.
I'm a slow Vet C, practice wonder
AER are in my modest opinion as good if not better than the KYB on the Yamie,
Rode last WE in 40F temp and no issues with the forks.
I put a stiffer spring on the shock and today don't even feel the need for a revalve

I had 13 250SX that I converted into a 300 with full Ohlins TTX setup and never had an issue with it either

I got many YZ and the were rock solid too.

I ended up with the TC because I could not get the YZ significantly cheaper (and it's pretty much the same bike I bought in 2006), and I see too much Orange these days!
You're getting a lot of quality components on the KT/Husqy for more than the $ difference with the YZ

Pro's: Engine,weight (lack of), traction, stability (first smoker feeling so "planted"), AER are top, Air filter maintenance is a breeze, Hydro clutch can be beat. PV allows a lot of adjustability in the power delivery.

Con's : bolts sizes all over the place, the Mikuni was a pain to jet..., it's a 2 stroke, so you're on some sort of Dinosaur Woohoo

Mickolobe7
3/17/2017 6:26pm
My buddy owns a bike mechanic shop right by my shop and Im always in there and one day I asked him how come you always have so many KTM's in here always. He said because KTM is the fastest 2 stroke out there and everyone wants one, but they always need to be rebuilt and worked on. He said the top end goes on them quick and they always need to be worked on. The squeeze the most HP out of them. I was going to get another 2 stoke myself but he said stay away from them unless you want to keep dumping money in it and always want to work on it. He said go with a YZ all day. But if you want the fastest bike KTM is it.

Maybe that might help you on your pick YZ or KTM
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/17/2017 7:09pm
Mickolobe7 wrote:
My buddy owns a bike mechanic shop right by my shop and Im always in there and one day I asked him how come you always...
My buddy owns a bike mechanic shop right by my shop and Im always in there and one day I asked him how come you always have so many KTM's in here always. He said because KTM is the fastest 2 stroke out there and everyone wants one, but they always need to be rebuilt and worked on. He said the top end goes on them quick and they always need to be worked on. The squeeze the most HP out of them. I was going to get another 2 stoke myself but he said stay away from them unless you want to keep dumping money in it and always want to work on it. He said go with a YZ all day. But if you want the fastest bike KTM is it.

Maybe that might help you on your pick YZ or KTM
I'd totally disagree with this. I've talked to more people who have gone way too long on a ktm top end and they still run fine even when they shouldn't. There are a lot of factors that go into that but still.
As a yz and sx owner, my advice is the sx for sure.
zehn
3/17/2017 7:23pm
Id grab a YZ 250 because they are dead nuts reliable, parts are easy to get, and because its been the same bike for a while...

BobPA wrote:
I could justify paying that for a bike that still wins 250 2T shootouts regardless of how old the design is
zehn
3/17/2017 7:25pm
For reliability and suspension, I'd go YZ.

For the absolute fastest motor, I'd go KTM/Husky but you can negate that difference with $600 in a FMF/PC and VForce on the YZ.
dedi684
3/17/2017 7:32pm
I thought my ktm was a better race bike but I could not gets past all the things you mentioned so I got another yz.
BobPA
3/17/2017 7:39pm
zehn wrote:
I could justify paying that for a bike that still wins 250 2T shootouts regardless of how old the design is
The YZ's do not beat the new KTM chassis/engine. Ridden them both. While the YZ is good, it has finally been outclassed by a more refined design. Obviously it is very opinion based, but ride them back to back and make your decision.
JBecker 72
3/17/2017 8:01pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/17/182009/s1200_IMG_1345.jpg[/img] Build quality is second to none.

Build quality is second to none.
Shwing!
B-EVANS
3/17/2017 8:01pm

23hrs on mine. Leaned the clip, 450 main. Runs good. No issues at all. Buddy has a new husky 250 with more hours and hasn't had any problems either.
endurox
3/17/2017 8:58pm
I have an independent shop here is Boise. Work on many brands but especially KTM and BMW. I have owned Yamahas, KTMs, Huskies, Gas Gas etc. All the stuff is good these days. As far as piston life, it comes down to proper air filter maintence more than anything. I have seen KTM pistons with 85 hours that look fine and others at 30 hours are worn out due to dirt getting past the filter.
3/17/2017 9:14pm
endurox wrote:
I have an independent shop here is Boise. Work on many brands but especially KTM and BMW. I have owned Yamahas, KTMs, Huskies, Gas Gas etc...
I have an independent shop here is Boise. Work on many brands but especially KTM and BMW. I have owned Yamahas, KTMs, Huskies, Gas Gas etc. All the stuff is good these days. As far as piston life, it comes down to proper air filter maintence more than anything. I have seen KTM pistons with 85 hours that look fine and others at 30 hours are worn out due to dirt getting past the filter.
This^ i had 85 hours on my 14 sx top end, it never ran once with a dirty filter or a dirty carb. The piston still looked good at 85 hours!

filters are cheaper than early rebuilds
tobz
3/18/2017 1:05am
Im on a new yz250x. And i dont think id like a motor thats faster than that, tbh.

Thing is smooth, rideable for long periods of time and a shitload of fun.

Ktm's are flash but not worth the extra coin it would of cost me. (Plus my yamaha dealer is abit friendlier than the local ktm dealer)
3/18/2017 4:48am

BobPA wrote:
Absolutely. Your not buying the latest computer gadget. Your buying mechanical engineering, years of setup testing etc.

Think of the people that were considering buying an 08 CRF450 but didn't want to buy a 6 year old bike so they got the 09 CRF450 instead.

There is a reason they still make them...because people buy them. Also, if you have to justify anything financially related to motocross get a different sport. Nothing in MX should ever be justified lol
philG
3/18/2017 6:00am

Eric Gorr knows how to make these go.

Post a reply to: Vet Needs advice on a Brand new 2 Stroke 250

The Latest