Vehicle For Transporting My Bikes

Related:
Create New Tag

5/4/2018 9:23 PM

Hello,
I have a 2010 RMZ 250, I am graduating college next week and am in the process of getting a newer vehicle. I would like to be able to use a motorcycle carrier that goes across the back of the vehicle. I'm not interested in trucks or vans. I need it to be an every day vehicle.

Thank-you!

|

5/4/2018 9:27 PM

Van is an every day vehicle! Or, try to find a small Toyota pickup, I still have mine as a daily driver along with my van, but both work just fine for every day use. Any reason why you absolutely need a car instead?

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



5/4/2018 9:33 PM

collin544 wrote:

Hello,
I have a 2010 RMZ 250, I am graduating college next week and am in the process of getting a newer vehicle. I would like to be able to use a motorcycle carrier that goes across the back of the vehicle. I'm not interested in trucks or vans. I need it to be an every day vehicle.

Thank-you!

An s10 or ranger or the like isnt an every day vehicle?

|

5/4/2018 10:02 PM

I’ve heard Ridgelines are reliable cars.

|

5/4/2018 10:17 PM

Before you buy check the maximum tongue weight rating the vehicle can handle. It will need to handle the bike weight plus the weight of the carrier (about 100 ponds). You’ll probably need a full size suv to get that rating. I bought a Nissan Rogue thinking it could handle it, since they sell trailer hitches that can carry 525 lb tongue weight, but the vehicle can only handle 110 lbs, so I have to go to a trailer instead.

|

5/4/2018 11:34 PM

collin544 wrote:

Hello,
I have a 2010 RMZ 250, I am graduating college next week and am in the process of getting a newer vehicle. I would like to be able to use a motorcycle carrier that goes across the back of the vehicle. I'm not interested in trucks or vans. I need it to be an every day vehicle.

Thank-you!

Yeah, man, I'm with you. Same thing; I wanted an everyday car so I got a small SUV (Ford Escape) and built this
cool rack for the back. I love it. Works perfect for me. In this thread>>
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/My-new-moto-hauler-with-bumper-rack-alternative,1338453

Photo

|

5/4/2018 11:41 PM

vanlife bro… nothing better

|

5/5/2018 3:15 AM

Trucks are everyday vehicles... at this point you need an suv with a 2” receiver for a hitch hauler. I think most come with a 1.5” or whatever the smaller one is.

|

5/5/2018 4:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2018 4:34 AM

Would help to know where you’ll be living /working (downtown in a large city, country, suburbs,etc). Can’t very easily fit a f250 in a parking garage downtown, hell even a 1/2 ton won’t fit in some meaning some suv’s Won’t fit either.

|

5/5/2018 5:04 AM

Get a van if you dont have kids yet its the only way to go

|

5/5/2018 5:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2018 5:27 AM

I've been hauling with an amc400 hitch carrier and a 2006 Toyota 4 runner for the last 5 seasons. I also have a 7x12 enclosed that I use for long trips, it'll pull it acceptably on the flats, but add a brake controller. I HATE having a full-size truck for where I live and the driving/parking situations I have for work. The 4runner is my daily, and i love it. Check out the 4runners from 2003-2009. Very reliable, well appointed and cheap. It's one of the few medium size suvs left with an actual frame and not a unibody chassis. Just read the forums and check the normal items. Frame rust, panel rust, service records or a good owner. Try and find one that has had a transmission fluid change by 60-90k miles. I've got 170k on mine, it's still got original everything except for brakes and tires. I have never been pulled over for blocking the rear plate with my bike either.Photo
Photo

|

5/5/2018 5:56 AM

A dodge ram 2500 cummins turbo diesel is a good daily driver. and can hold a dirt bike

|

5/5/2018 6:06 AM

Shouldn't have parking problems with this set up and it looks smarter than a Smart car.

Photo

|

5/5/2018 6:46 AM

What's your budget?
Photo
PhotoPhoto Photo
All work great with a Switch Hauler®
And when you're done pack it away nicely
Photo
alljackedupinc.com

|

www.alljackedupinc.com home of the Switch Hauler, the only modular hauling system www.sprocketstuff.com home of the Counter Sprocket Tool

5/5/2018 6:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2018 7:01 AM

Budget is in the 5-7k range. I live in a decent sized town (50-60k people) and probably have 1.5 to 2 hour drive to a track. I have no problem with SUV's but don't want to be spending a lot on gas. Personally, no point in getting a truck because otherwise I would just borrow my parents, which is where my bike is stored anyways. Main reason for this question is so I wouldn't have to plan a day of riding around their schedule to borrow their truck. This question is purely a thought right now as I want to see options as I always could borrow their truck. The smaller the SUV the better. I currently am very fond of the newer Nissan Jukes,and that size. I have come to terms with a car is not an option for this. RAV4?

|

5/5/2018 7:00 AM

We love our Xterra. 2007 with 134K mikes. Off Road edition with 6-speed manual. Added the Ultimate MX Hauler with the optional fuel can holder. Works great when I ride by myself. Use the trailer when the family goes with me. Photo Photo

|

5/5/2018 7:10 AM

collin544 wrote:

Budget is in the 5-7k range. I live in a decent sized town (50-60k people) and probably have 1.5 to 2 hour drive to a track. I have no problem with SUV's but don't want to be spending a lot on gas. Personally, no point in getting a truck because otherwise I would just borrow my parents, which is where my bike is stored anyways. Main reason for this question is so I wouldn't have to plan a day of riding around their schedule to borrow their truck. This question is purely a thought right now as I want to see options as I always could borrow their truck. The smaller the SUV the better. I currently am very fond of the newer Nissan Jukes,and that size. I have come to terms with a car is not an option for this. RAV4?

I looked long and hard at a RAV 4 as well as I am a huge Toyota reliability fan. But the way the rear is designed, I couldn't see doing the rack the way I wanted to (check my thread). However, if you are cool with the rail type
of rack, then yeah, a RAV 4 and a class 3 hitch would be awesome. Or the 4 Runner like the other posted above.

As it is, I am really happy with the Escape. 21 MPG and hits my checklist.

|

5/5/2018 8:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2018 8:17 AM

I will only caution you about going that light duty (rav4, escape, etc) if you plan to ride more than 8-10 times a year. I looked at them when i was making my purchase. Almost all small suvs are compact car drivetrains, front wheel drive. with a unibody chassis. To me, unweighting the front when you have all your gear and a 250 lb bike hanging 10 inches off the back was something I was not comfortable with. I drive 2-3 hours each way to the track as well. When I was college age, I used to pull 3 rail trailer with a 98 4 cylinder Altima stick shift. You can make anything "work" when your pinching pennies. Good luck!

|

5/5/2018 8:24 AM

My Durango was great but doesn’t exactly help you with the MPG blink

|

5/5/2018 8:42 AM

collin544 wrote:

Budget is in the 5-7k range. I live in a decent sized town (50-60k people) and probably have 1.5 to 2 hour drive to a track. I have no problem with SUV's but don't want to be spending a lot on gas. Personally, no point in getting a truck because otherwise I would just borrow my parents, which is where my bike is stored anyways. Main reason for this question is so I wouldn't have to plan a day of riding around their schedule to borrow their truck. This question is purely a thought right now as I want to see options as I always could borrow their truck. The smaller the SUV the better. I currently am very fond of the newer Nissan Jukes,and that size. I have come to terms with a car is not an option for this. RAV4?

I know you can buy an 8-10 year old Honda Pilot for 5K.
Around 18mpg. There's bound to be something that's
perfect for your budget.

|

www.alljackedupinc.com home of the Switch Hauler, the only modular hauling system www.sprocketstuff.com home of the Counter Sprocket Tool

5/5/2018 9:08 AM

Ridgeline might be exactly what you’re looking for

|

5/5/2018 9:12 AM

My AMC Eagle could handle a bike on the hitch. Maybe you should look into getting one of them.

Photo

Sadly I don't have a photo of using the hitch carrier but at the time I had a 400 lbs yamaha xt550 that I learned to ride on and I toted that around. I'm sure it wasn't great on the eagle but it did the job.

In all seriousness if you want to get a smaller car or suv(RAV4 etc) then you'll likely need to buy a harbor freight trailer to tow the bike around.

|

5/5/2018 9:16 AM

How is a truck not an everyday vehicle?

|

5/5/2018 9:56 AM

hititpind wrote:

How is a truck not an everyday vehicle?

That is code for " I want a 35 mpg car so I don't have to spend much on gas"

|

Ed Johnson

5/5/2018 10:35 AM

jtiger12 wrote:

I will only caution you about going that light duty (rav4, escape, etc) if you plan to ride more than 8-10 times a year. I looked at them when i was making my purchase. Almost all small suvs are compact car drivetrains, front wheel drive. with a unibody chassis. To me, unweighting the front when you have all your gear and a 250 lb bike hanging 10 inches off the back was something I was not comfortable with. I drive 2-3 hours each way to the track as well. When I was college age, I used to pull 3 rail trailer with a 98 4 cylinder Altima stick shift. You can make anything "work" when your pinching pennies. Good luck!

I was concerned about this, as well, when I got my Escape. But I don't feel the front end any lighter
at all when driving. I don't notice anything at all about the bike on the back. Nothing. Granted when I built my rack, I did place the bike as close as possible to the rear of the car.

|

5/5/2018 10:46 AM

Look for 2" receiver and 500/5000 rating. Anything else is sketchy IMO. And when you get into that size, you're basically full size SUV or truck anyways...

|

5/5/2018 11:14 AM

I've recently bought a Ford Transit Connect Long Wheelbase High Roof (L2H2). It's about the smallest van you can buy to transport your bike without having to compress the forks or other things. Mine is a 2006 but I believe they didn't come to the USA till 2010. (Facelift model). I also use mine as my daily vehicle. Don't buy the newest version Transit connect (2014 and newer) because they're smaller.
Photo
Photo

|

5/5/2018 11:45 AM

A small Harbor Freight trailer or a single rail motorcycle trailer can be pulled behind virtually any car. Store the trailer upright at your parent's house with the bike, and enjoy a 30+ mpg commuter everyday.

|

5/5/2018 12:05 PM

JM485 wrote:

Van is an every day vehicle! Or, try to find a small Toyota pickup, I still have mine as a daily driver along with my van, but both work just fine for every day use. Any reason why you absolutely need a car instead?

“ I’m not interested in trucks or vans “.
First you suggest a van then you tell him to find a truck. Brilliant.

|

5/5/2018 12:56 PM

Here you go...
Photo

|