Vegas as the last race...

Crush
5/9/2010 5:19pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 10:29pm
Do you guys think that having that super hard packed dirt makes for great racing??!

Granted the Lites race was fantastic but really, so many times that dirt seems to restrict the guys in terms of making up lots of time...

Wish they could get some more moisture through it to keep it tackier for a while... Don't know how, maybe make it a mud bog first?
|
ocscottie
5/9/2010 5:23pm
Look how wet it was in the heats:

we were all talking about how much the track hardly resembled the "usual" LV track early on in the night, but later on it got beat down as usual.
Crush
5/9/2010 5:26pm
Yeah... I heard it was wetter in the heats, it just seems once a rider drops time, there is no where to find traction to really drop the hammer...

It seems every year there are guys slightly paired waiting for mistakes from the other, or just miles in front and behind...

Where as the east tracks where there is traction and berms etc, the guys can drop the hammer and go crazy trying to make up some time...

I LOVE the long lap times in Vegas but damn, sometimes that dirt looks shit to ride...
Highsider
5/9/2010 5:49pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:43pm
For myself, I was disappointed in the Indy and Atlanta hard-packed tracks. Historically, those rounds have softer, loamy soil.

As far as this year's Vegas, it seemed, on tv anyway, to be somewhat worked up and watered.

Yes, unexpectedly slick and muddy for the first 250 Heat, but it sure improved by the second Heat and was pretty good the rest of the night..

I liked the Vegas track.
Rooster
5/9/2010 5:51pm
There seemed to be a lot of ruts developed that offered different lines through many of the corners. The track seemed like it was good for passing. That corner after the ski jump was always fun to watch every lap as the it was a great spot to pass under braking. Especially with some of the weird lines that guys would take setting up for the big triple afterward.

The Shop

ocscottie
5/9/2010 5:54pm
Its hard to beleive this is the same track as the earlier pic i posted:

BobbyM
5/9/2010 6:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2010 6:03pm
Crush wrote:
Do you guys think that having that super hard packed dirt makes for great racing??! Granted the Lites race was fantastic but really, so many times...
Do you guys think that having that super hard packed dirt makes for great racing??!

Granted the Lites race was fantastic but really, so many times that dirt seems to restrict the guys in terms of making up lots of time...

Wish they could get some more moisture through it to keep it tackier for a while... Don't know how, maybe make it a mud bog first?
great track and great venue....great babes too.Smile

the wind really vaporizes the track surface...fucking wind was howling last night. they figured water the hell out of it now and it might be good later.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
5/9/2010 6:14pm
Yeah, practice was so dry that they overwatered before the races. No one was expecting that, and it's why Barcia crashed in the first heat (at the end of the long, fast start straight).

It was back to dusty by the main events.
Crush
5/9/2010 6:33pm
Who makes the decisions to build your open air stadiums over there guys?!?!

haha...

Seattle, wettest place on earth - we need an open air setup...

Vegas, hottest place on earth - we need an open air setup...

SanFran, fuck knows what it will do - we need an open air setup

WTF!?!?!

It'd be great if there was something they could do to combat the hard pack... It just seems that the race is always close to being determined from the start... There might be a mistake or pass here or there, but no-one is going from 10th to first...
Blake
5/9/2010 6:34pm
These track people are clueless.
Its always too wet or too dry. This sport will never rise up until they wise up.
Crush
5/9/2010 6:34pm
I should add that the reason I am asking is, if you have the hypothetical perfect storm, ala 2006... Where it all comes down to the last race, it'd be nice if the track actually helped the racing, rather than being a dirt track follow the leader race...

It always seems to come down to the start... Best advice Johnny O ever gave RC... Start on the inside at Vegas!!!
Blake
5/9/2010 6:37pm
Crush wrote:
Who makes the decisions to build your open air stadiums over there guys?!?! haha... Seattle, wettest place on earth - we need an open air setup...

haha...

WTF!?!?!

It'd be great if there was something they could do to combat the hard pack... It just seems that the race is always close to being determined from the start... There might be a mistake or pass here or there, but no-one is going from 10th to first...
Thats because pretty soon, you can bet the farm San Fran wont see rain for a good 6 months, and during that time, know one knows or gives a shit what supercross is.

Valero Oil isnt buying 500 front seats to the Supercross, but to a Giants Game, hell, that's nothing. Supercross fans can sit in a puddle for all anyone cares............
Crush
5/9/2010 6:47pm
Yeah I know there are other events at the stadiums and SX isn't the main concern...

BUT... It still would be shit watching whatever at Seattle, Vegas or SanFran and dealing with the excessive rain, heat or who knows what...
5/9/2010 6:49pm
Crush wrote:
Who makes the decisions to build your open air stadiums over there guys?!?! haha... Seattle, wettest place on earth - we need an open air setup...

haha...

WTF!?!?!

Most teams that play in the stadium as the "primary" sport like the home field advantage of their particular weather and could care less what anybody else thinks. Furthermore, its a frikkin series, with different elements, different conditions, different everything. Why cater to someone who can only ride in perfect conditions or feels the need to complain about the weekly differences?
Crush
5/9/2010 6:59pm
So you'd rather have a track where the racing most years has been crap because it's a dry dusty follow the leader dirt track race...

5/9/2010 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:43pm
Crush wrote:
So you'd rather have a track where the racing most years has been crap because it's a dry dusty follow the leader dirt track race...

If you are referring to Reed playing follow the leader and that made the race crap for you, then too frikkin bad! Reed just didn't have what it took to win last night, and furthermore was lucky that Windham didn't get a better start. I didn't hear Reed complain about it. He knew what kind of track he would find in Vegas.

Windham found a way around people as did several others. You already admitted that the lites race was "fantastic" but if no one could catch Dungey after he got the holeshot you're going to complain and say that it was crap.

It's pretty well known that the Vegas round will be hard packed, so show up with your bike set up for that, after practicing for that, like everybody else.

Crush
5/9/2010 7:25pm
No, clearly I wasn't, because if I was, I would have said that...

But, save for last nights Lites race and a few riders, typically they all get spread out and there is bugger all action going on...

Don't believe me, watch re-runs of Vegas the last few years... and then tell me I'm wrong.
Craze
5/9/2010 7:31pm
Crush wrote:
Do you guys think that having that super hard packed dirt makes for great racing??! Granted the Lites race was fantastic but really, so many times...

BobbyM wrote:
great track and great venue....great babes too.:) the wind really vaporizes the track surface...fucking wind was howling last night. they figured water the hell out of...
great track and great venue....great babes too.Smile

the wind really vaporizes the track surface...fucking wind was howling last night. they figured water the hell out of it now and it might be good later.
The wind was mild, earlier in the week we had gusts up to 60-70mph at times!!!...Dirt has been the same for 20 years now..........Cool
5/9/2010 7:34pm
Crush wrote:
No, clearly I wasn't, because if I was, I would have said that... But, save for last nights Lites race and a few riders, typically they...
No, clearly I wasn't, because if I was, I would have said that...

But, save for last nights Lites race and a few riders, typically they all get spread out and there is bugger all action going on...

Don't believe me, watch re-runs of Vegas the last few years... and then tell me I'm wrong.
They all take off at the same time, cover the same amount of laps on the same course, at an event with rules and regulations that were announced in advance.

It's a race, it doesn't always turn out like you think it should or might want it to.

I think it gives the guys that are good at hard packed tracks the same advantages of the other tracks that cater to other peoples preferences.

It just happens to be the last race of the series.

I can't make it any clearer for you but if you have a better plan than get some backing and have at it.

Good luck.
mxrider225
Fantasy
2855th
5/9/2010 7:36pm
I dont get why they didnt just water inbetween races? What does it take 5 min? Get like 4-5 trucks to go out after each race.
Crush
5/9/2010 7:44pm
Thanks for clarifying that, you made my day...

I was asking for an opinion on do you think it helps for good racing, and especially being the last race of the series where hopefully it gets decided at that race...

Instead the dry speedway track generally means it's decided at the jump of the gate... And AGAIN... If you don't believe me, go back and watch some races at Vegas over the years...

If there are two guys going at the title, it is pretty much over by the start...

09... Reed needs to win, James need a bad result... Reed gets a bad start and can barely catch James whilst RV is gone from the beginning...

08... Reed comes from right about 3rd or so and slowly catches Short and KW when he was putting them away all year, but it didn't really matter anyways, he won because he was trying to do what Dunge did last night...

07... No one had anything for James anyways, but the racing behind was boring at best...

06... They finished like they started...

05... finished like they started... etc etc etc...
jaeckle
5/9/2010 9:15pm
Variety is the spice of life. Wish there was a dusty, hard pack, blue groove outdoor national.

Post a reply to: Vegas as the last race...

The Latest