Vegas EX bench racing Stream begins at 8pm pst

8/20/2017 7:56am
DannoJ919 wrote:
I worked the event all week with the track set up and running the race. The track was intentionally made easier to work toward boosting the...
I worked the event all week with the track set up and running the race. The track was intentionally made easier to work toward boosting the amateur turn up. Colton and Cody will go fast on anything. The matrix was pretty greasy from the water getting drug to it. Bonnier the new owners seem very excited about the series and want to see it grow. Everyone was great to work with.
If he wants to see the series grow, they need to have live video at all the races. That was awesome last night, I shared to feed to lots of riders who ended up loving it.
RangerLee
8/20/2017 10:00am
DannoJ919 wrote:
Also ARay did a nice job. He got faster the more he rode. Guessing he is beat up quite a bit. Pretty sure he isn't a...
Also ARay did a nice job. He got faster the more he rode. Guessing he is beat up quite a bit. Pretty sure he isn't a matrix fan.
How much did he get to ride, there were two motos I heard him announced including the final, where they announced him and his number. Live timing did not have him listed though and I never saw his bike. I thought it was strange.
agn5009
8/20/2017 10:14am
DannoJ919 wrote:
Also ARay did a nice job. He got faster the more he rode. Guessing he is beat up quite a bit. Pretty sure he isn't a...
Also ARay did a nice job. He got faster the more he rode. Guessing he is beat up quite a bit. Pretty sure he isn't a matrix fan.
RangerLee wrote:
How much did he get to ride, there were two motos I heard him announced including the final, where they announced him and his number. Live...
How much did he get to ride, there were two motos I heard him announced including the final, where they announced him and his number. Live timing did not have him listed though and I never saw his bike. I thought it was strange.
Yeah, I'm not sure how he even qualified?
DannoJ919
8/20/2017 11:34am
DannoJ919 wrote:
RangerLee wrote:
How much did he get to ride, there were two motos I heard him announced including the final, where they announced him and his number. Live...
agn5009 wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure how he even qualified?
He rode both amateur and expert during the day at least. So he was on track a decent amount. I talked to him a couple times. Nice kid. Very honest about his level in that stuff. Hopefully he had fun because he got beat up for sure.

The Shop

DannoJ919
8/20/2017 11:36am
The guy on the Alta over jumped a kid to tire double on his first lap and had one of the harder hits I've seen into the next set of tires. It was obvious he broke his wrist right away
DannoJ919
8/20/2017 11:38am
The wheel tap over this log was cool. It was a big log.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
8/20/2017 12:00pm
DannoJ919 wrote:
The guy on the Alta over jumped a kid to tire double on his first lap and had one of the harder hits I've seen into...
The guy on the Alta over jumped a kid to tire double on his first lap and had one of the harder hits I've seen into the next set of tires. It was obvious he broke his wrist right away
You mean he almost made those tire jumps a triple? Fuuuck. No wonder he snapped his wrist. Suprised it ain't worse.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
8/20/2017 4:05pm
DannoJ919 wrote:
The wheel tap over this log was cool. It was a big log.
Yep, that was bitchin. Webb made it look so pedestrian. Colton looked like he had to really try to match the move.
DannoJ919
8/20/2017 5:48pm
I was working around the matrix all day and pretty sure Colton actually did that log wheel tap first.
Johnny Depp
8/21/2017 9:12am

Here's a little taste of what it's like for real people. I see they placed a milk crate in the matrix for the Vets to keep them from getting stuck between them.
Johnny Depp
8/21/2017 8:02pm
I found out today that the live stream deal was only put together 48 hours before the race, so hopefully the next one's will go better.

A few suggestion I made were;

A better verbal/visual explanation of the format, maybe a chart?
A better verbal/visual introduction of the riders and machinery
A better use of intermission than dead air, possible pit interviews?

The input was well received,. I'd like to see this sport make it out of the shadows into the limelight.

Race recaps with some great photos:
http://enduro21.com/index.php/endurocross/2485-endurocross-haaker-muscl…
https://dirtbikemagazine.com/endurocross-2017-season-opener/

For those that haven't seen the replay is available, including the 1st few races that were missed before the stream went live.

replay: http://www.endurocross.com/

ccullins76
8/24/2017 4:40pm
Sorry so let to the party. Just took a look at this and think I can add a few things.

First off my son rides pro. Ty Cullins on the #16 Beta. He's 18 years old and won the first qualifier of the night. Our family was bummed it didn't make the live broadcast, but at least they can watch it on YouTube now.

We where extremely disappointed in that track. That's was the easiest EX track there has ever been. In our opinion the tracks have been getting too easy and fast over the last few years and this one just went way too far. If you look back at videos of the
more technical tracks of the past the racing was way more unpredictable.

The amateur class was a decent size, but not near the biggest. The Vegas finals in 2013 had over 60 amateur entries and it was crazy hard to make the main! Fortunately Ty made it that race at age 14 and finished 3rd that night. His first amateur podium. That was one of the best tracks ever!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLgDDCUG4z4

More details

The guy on the Alta is sponsored by them to ride EX. I didn't see exactly what happened, but he was doing the tire double on his first lap of practice and the frame broke breaking his wrist. Not good.

Alex Ray rode both the amateur and pro class. Not sure why they let guys do that, but they do. He wasn't close to making the pro main even on this easy track. The announcer was all messed up when he was going through the riders for the main. They announced a lot of incorrect info.

I've known Colton and Cody since they where teenagers on trials bikes. I like them both, but they are very different people. Colton isn't near the punk he makes himself out to be. I think it's good though for the series to have a bad guy and bring some drama in and Colton is happy to play that part.
ccullins76
8/26/2017 1:56pm
Here's a nice story of an amateur in his 1st Endurocross:

https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/amateurs-endurocross-experience/#7j…
This shows what a specialized sport and how hard EX has become. The kid that wrote the article races Pro/Expert in GP's here in Southern California. When Ty goes to those races he is a little faster than Ty. Yet in EX they are in completely different classes.

When we saw the easy fast track we figured the MX and regular off-road guys would fair pretty well, but I think just the tight track and how close obstacles are just make it really hard for guys who aren't used to it.
Johnny Depp
9/18/2017 10:53am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2017 5:12pm
Round # 2 coming up this Saturday in Reno. Maybe some of the members who are planning on riding can check in and we can try to keep track during the stream. Give us some bike/gear photos so we know what to look for.

I haven't heard any more about the Alta incident? Was the broken frame the cause or the result of the crash? If he was trying to double the tires and came up short into one of them it's hard to blame that on the bike, still you'd hope a frame could take something like that, but if it's like a wall, then something has to give. I wonder if they have rounded up another rider?

Greco

Ted722
9/18/2017 11:40am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2017 11:43am
I'm planning on being there. Sitting in the stands and cruising the pits. Thinking on bringing a real camera too (if they let you). Sounds like Josh485 will be racing. I'm sure he'll chime in.
ccullins76
9/18/2017 4:43pm
Round # 2 coming up this Saturday in Reno. Maybe some of the members who are planning on riding can check in and we can try...
Round # 2 coming up this Saturday in Reno. Maybe some of the members who are planning on riding can check in and we can try to keep track during the stream. Give us some bike/gear photos so we know what to look for.

I haven't heard any more about the Alta incident? Was the broken frame the cause or the result of the crash? If he was trying to double the tires and came up short into one of them it's hard to blame that on the bike, still you'd hope a frame could take something like that, but if it's like a wall, then something has to give. I wonder if they have rounded up another rider?

Greco

It was the result of the crash. Seems to me that probably shouldn't happen. Usually triple claims or something break else breaks first.
JM485
9/18/2017 4:53pm
Round # 2 coming up this Saturday in Reno. Maybe some of the members who are planning on riding can check in and we can try...

Greco

I'll be there in the Am and trials classes, I'll make sure to post some pictures of the setup when I get there so you know who to laugh at when I land on my head in the matrix. . .ShockedLaughing
Johnny Depp
9/18/2017 5:31pm
Chris Cullins just posted this up over at TT Beta:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZIDPcfnnXk/?taken-by=maxgerston

maxgerstonNot the way I wanted to start the weekend. Staying the night in the hospital after a huge crash. Swapped out in some whoops and got bitch slapped pretty bad. I remember hitting the ground and thinking, wow that sucked, glad that's over, then I landed finally coming to a stop. Separated shoulder, hole in my lung, bruised rib cage, sternum, and everything connecting all of that shit. Don't worry I'm gonna be OK. So thankful I had my @6dhelmets on keeping me safe. Thanks to my love @bibilynn177 for taking care of me once again and definitely my boys @cooperabbott120 @cody_miller987 @danhayakawa @destryabbott for convincing us to get to the hospital. I'll be back soon.

Hopefully he can make it back in early Oct. to defend his lead in the West Coast Hare Scrambles series with 2 races left?

ccullins76
9/18/2017 8:40pm

Greco

JM485 wrote:
I'll be there in the Am and trials classes, I'll make sure to post some pictures of the setup when I get there so you know...
I'll be there in the Am and trials classes, I'll make sure to post some pictures of the setup when I get there so you know who to laugh at when I land on my head in the matrix. . .ShockedLaughing
Hopefully you'll have more trials guys to ride with. My youngest so who's 13 rode the trialscross class at Vegas last month and was the only one. They wound up having him run the amateur B main.
9/22/2017 12:19pm
Really nice build here by Cory! http://www.dirtrider.com/cory-graffunders-husqvarna-tc-250-endurocross-race-machine#page-4 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/22/216164/s1200_graffunder_bikes_of_ex_01.jpg[/img]
To bad he won't be racing this weekend. Out with a injury.
Ted722
9/22/2017 2:55pm
ccullins76 wrote:
We'll have to see what it's like when we get there, but so far we're not liking the track at all. Looking way to much like...
We'll have to see what it's like when we get there, but so far we're not liking the track at all. Looking way to much like an MX track!!

https://instagram.com/p/BZWMSiPgWm4/https://instagram.com/p/BZWMSiPgWm4/
Here's another look from from this morning as they're still finishing up the track: http://mynews4.com/news/local/endurocross-races-come-to-reno
NV825
Fantasy
2740th
9/22/2017 2:56pm
I'll be there watching this weekend. Looking forward to some good racing.
JM485
9/22/2017 3:39pm
ccullins76 wrote:
We'll have to see what it's like when we get there, but so far we're not liking the track at all. Looking way to much like...
We'll have to see what it's like when we get there, but so far we're not liking the track at all. Looking way to much like an MX track!!

https://instagram.com/p/BZWMSiPgWm4/https://instagram.com/p/BZWMSiPgWm4/
I can totally see why you guys would be bummed out, but for amateurs it's a huge relief to see the tracks get a little easier. The last few times I've done it I've been fine on every part of the track except the matrix, it basically just became survival at that point so it was hard to actually race rather than just survive the lap. I'll see the Reno track tonight probably in person but for me it's looking a lot more fun to race than tracks have been in years past.

For the pros though, I absolutely see where you're coming from in regards to the tracks being too easy, it's a piece of cake for Ty and the others. The thing is though there just aren't a lot of places to practice this type of stuff, I've never even ridden an Endurocross track aside from an actual event, so I'm always behind the 8 ball before the race even starts. The faster, less technical tracks are a little more inviting to true amateurs like myself, but at the same time it's kind of screwing the pros over. I think the track designers are kind of in a tough spot.
Johnny Depp
9/22/2017 4:47pm
That's what they ought to use the No Joke lane for, pro's only every lap.

Post a reply to: Vegas EX bench racing Stream begins at 8pm pst

The Latest