Varner Motorsports issues

cmotodad
5/17/2020 7:29am
I have a cylinder and head with Varner. He has had it for a few months. He has been a little slow to get back but has contacted me pretty regular with progress updates and photos. Had a slow time getting cylinder back from plating and has the work complete except for the head. Yesterday we talked and he will have it ready this week. Excited to ride a good running CR250. Maybe judging others isn't the best.
yz133rider
5/17/2020 7:34am
cmotodad wrote:
I have a cylinder and head with Varner. He has had it for a few months. He has been a little slow to get back but...
I have a cylinder and head with Varner. He has had it for a few months. He has been a little slow to get back but has contacted me pretty regular with progress updates and photos. Had a slow time getting cylinder back from plating and has the work complete except for the head. Yesterday we talked and he will have it ready this week. Excited to ride a good running CR250. Maybe judging others isn't the best.
A few months is way too long for the services though.

A few weeks is acceptable. A few months is losing an entire riding season.
jmo443
5/17/2020 1:11pm
Yeah so I managed to get my YZ125 and YZ250 cylinders back. Got the 250 back together as of now but first break in ride I...
Yeah so I managed to get my YZ125 and YZ250 cylinders back. Got the 250 back together as of now but first break in ride I had Enzo revalve the suspension and something in the forks failed and they barely hold the bikes own weight up. So I’ve been dealing with that this past week. I wanted to come back with pictures and a review for everyone but I haven’t gotten the bike to a good track yet.

The work and craftsmen ship looked pretty good. Nothing crazy but a very clean job, just not 4 months worth of waiting. Once I get my forks fixed and get my 125 also back together I’ll have some better reviews.

Another Terry downfall though is he still has my CR125 cylinder and he’s still very hit and miss answering the phone and never very straight forward with the answers. A month ago it was to my understanding it came back from the platers (big boring to a 134), then 2 weeks ago he said he was going to use a cylinder he had at the shop ready to go instead, the final word I got was this week I was told the cylinder was being sent to Powerseal USA for the boring which he told me he always used Millenium? It’s such a hassle dealing with this I’ve been trying to keep him on his toes to get this CR cylinder done too but I really can’t understand what stage it’s at and anytime I ask him about it his answers are so vague and not reassuring at all.
Your luck sounds like shit. How does Enzo send you something like that? That’s hard to believe. I understand Varner after all the horror stories.
wadmaster11
5/17/2020 2:05pm
Yeah so I managed to get my YZ125 and YZ250 cylinders back. Got the 250 back together as of now but first break in ride I...
Yeah so I managed to get my YZ125 and YZ250 cylinders back. Got the 250 back together as of now but first break in ride I had Enzo revalve the suspension and something in the forks failed and they barely hold the bikes own weight up. So I’ve been dealing with that this past week. I wanted to come back with pictures and a review for everyone but I haven’t gotten the bike to a good track yet.

The work and craftsmen ship looked pretty good. Nothing crazy but a very clean job, just not 4 months worth of waiting. Once I get my forks fixed and get my 125 also back together I’ll have some better reviews.

Another Terry downfall though is he still has my CR125 cylinder and he’s still very hit and miss answering the phone and never very straight forward with the answers. A month ago it was to my understanding it came back from the platers (big boring to a 134), then 2 weeks ago he said he was going to use a cylinder he had at the shop ready to go instead, the final word I got was this week I was told the cylinder was being sent to Powerseal USA for the boring which he told me he always used Millenium? It’s such a hassle dealing with this I’ve been trying to keep him on his toes to get this CR cylinder done too but I really can’t understand what stage it’s at and anytime I ask him about it his answers are so vague and not reassuring at all.
glad to hear you at least got your Yamaha stuff back. Sure enzo will make it right. I've had good luck with them in the past.

The Shop

Kowalczyk579
Fantasy
2223rd
5/17/2020 2:13pm

jmo443 wrote:
Your luck sounds like shit. How does Enzo send you something like that? That’s hard to believe. I understand Varner after all the horror stories.
Yeah hasn’t been the best lately. Oh trust me I’m an Enzo advocate I love their work and service my suspension guy is already fixing it just a freak thing happened in the right fork leg. I’m not upset about that at all he said he lost sleep over it and made my stuff priority to get done. I’ll have it back ASAP. I know it’s hard to believe but I just want to ride I wouldn’t be spending my time talking about bike issues If all was good! Look for a ride update this coming week if anyone is interested
wadmaster11
5/17/2020 2:13pm
Kowalczyk759 and I are going through the same thing. Nothing against him. He got two cylinders back and I'm still waiting on my complete motor. 69...
Kowalczyk759 and I are going through the same thing. Nothing against him. He got two cylinders back and I'm still waiting on my complete motor. 69 weeks now for me.
Well....not to be a topper but I'm sitting at 77-78 weeks on a complete mod motor that was paid in full upfront and was told 3-4 weeks to complete. I have a project bike sitting there with a pile of new parts just waiting to get the motor back. There's been many "lets meet up" or "it's shipping this week" during this journey but still no motor.

It really bums me out to see and hear others with the same issue. Terry have done at least a half dozen cr125's and a cr250 motor for me in the past and the quality and the performance never disappoints. Prior to this experience his turn around time has always been acceptable (within an agreed upon time).

My hope is this can be put behind us and we can come on here and post up how good the bikes run but we need our SH** back to do that.
D_L118
5/17/2020 2:19pm
Sorry guys for not getting back sooner, I do Cerakote and motorcycle services on the side for extra cash and it’s been super busy I barely...
Sorry guys for not getting back sooner, I do Cerakote and motorcycle services on the side for extra cash and it’s been super busy I barely keep up with the Cerakote work right now! So update is he sent me a picture of a box with my address and a tracking number. It’s still in California as far as I know but it’s definitely on its way, well I hope. He was in good contact last week and although kept buying himself time finally got around to shipping my YZ125 and YZ250 cylinders I believe. I know for sure my CR125 cylinder is still there and I’ve been trying to call him this week to keep him on his toes about getting that done ASAP. Hasn’t answered the phone yet again this week but I’ll keep trying. When and/or if the Yamaha stuff gets home I’ll confirm with a picture. I’m just jonesin’ to get riding with this nice weather we’ve been getting I hope I’m near the end of the tunnel on this.

Here’s some of my Cerakote work just for show n tell. I’m building myself a 2018 YZ250 to show of my work and all it needs is the damn cylinder so hopefully soon!

Nice work!
How does it survive after a couple of hours? Let’s say the clutch cover.
How much do you charge for this kinda work?
BobbyM
5/17/2020 4:57pm Edited Date/Time 5/17/2020 4:59pm
Myke wrote:
Someone literally needs to go punch this guy in the face for what he is doing to people. Who does he think he is? I hate...
Someone literally needs to go punch this guy in the face for what he is doing to people. Who does he think he is? I hate this kinda stuff happening.
And that will make him port and ship cylinders faster?
Uh huh...

Howabout not sending him shit to mod up? Send it to me and I won't do shit to it and only charge half of what Varner does. But at least you'll get it back within a year.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
5/17/2020 5:28pm
Myke wrote:
Someone literally needs to go punch this guy in the face for what he is doing to people. Who does he think he is? I hate...
Someone literally needs to go punch this guy in the face for what he is doing to people. Who does he think he is? I hate this kinda stuff happening.
BobbyM wrote:
And that will make him port and ship cylinders faster? Uh huh... Howabout not sending him shit to mod up? Send it to me and I...
Uh huh...

Howabout not sending him shit to mod up? Send it to me and I won't do shit to it and only charge half of what Varner does. But at least you'll get it back within a year.
True but him obviously gives zero fucks about these people's feelings, their motorcycles and their money. How about the cylinder he took in after the projects in this thread and is going to have it done before their stuff. How do you think that makes these guys feel? He should feel something.

I do like your idea hopefully no one will send him work anymore.
BobbyM
5/17/2020 7:07pm
Less than zero shits. That's almost as bad the DOTUS giving less than zero shits about the "succumbers" out there.
5/17/2020 10:01pm Edited Date/Time 5/17/2020 10:01pm
I retract my earliest statements. Replace with, wtf. How do you have someone’s shit for 77 weeks after agreeing 3-4 ??? At that point....week 5 send the fuckin motor back and a refund. That’s just ridiculous. OP has been more than nice. Wtf.
5/17/2020 10:59pm
Here in lies a lesson to you lot.

Don't pay up front because not only have you lost all leverage (along with money+parts), the guy doing the work doesn't have a motivator to get the job done. If he needs one. Working on bikes day in, day out ain't the cake, blow jobs and buying another mansion I think the most of y'all think it is. But if that's all you know ......
5/18/2020 8:51am
All any of us are asking for is to get our motors back.We paid for a service and expect it done.

As for paying upfront. you do that on Ebay, Amazon etc.

I had a custom jewelry business. I made a lot of one off pieces. If you came to me for wedding rings or a custom piece. You paid up front. Because what was I going to with it, if you didn't pick it up? Sure I could melt it down again. Use the stones etc. But that would have been time and money lost too. Plus if there was a delay. I called the customer. Kept them informed etc.

I see someone posted there that Terry's had his motor longer than mine!!!

Some people are saying cut your losses. That's just theft. Period. I doubt they would under the same circumstance.

PNWMX'r
5/21/2020 9:15am
Dam, this is no good. I have a buddy that's had his top end down there since about the start of the year. Every time I ask why it's still not done, there's some other reason. He's had other motors built by Varner and it seems like it was pretty normal wait time before. This thread got linked on one of the big Pac NW MX FB forums the other night. At this point I'm pretty sure he'd just take his jug back and worry about trying to get a refund at some point down the road. Last I heard a couple weeks ago it was supposedly out at Powerseal...
Hallzilla
5/21/2020 9:55am
So Varner keeps taking in more work, and never getting around to it? What an F'nn nozzle. Get him a balloon cause a bag is not big enough.
aeffertz
5/21/2020 10:33am
Myke wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
And that will make him port and ship cylinders faster? Uh huh... Howabout not sending him shit to mod up? Send it to me and I...
Uh huh...

How about he stops taking orders and peoples money until he is caught up? How is someone to know unless they frequent Vital and read this thread?

Not saying he needs to be punched in the face but he needs to do something different.
bvm111
5/21/2020 10:40am
TMR .... you are welcome
mx317
5/21/2020 11:53am
bvm111 wrote:
TMR .... you are welcome
My cylinder came in from TMR this week and looks great! UPS for some reason couldn't find my house and asked for an address correction when the address was correct. I tracked and caught it and called UPS and shortly after Tom Morgan called me concerned about my cylinder getting delivered. He had got a notification also and was doing a follow up. That is the kind of customer service you don't get from everyone! He is a class act.
Flipsid33
5/21/2020 1:25pm
Still haven't uncovered the Black Swan.
kkawboy14
5/21/2020 2:25pm Edited Date/Time 5/21/2020 2:26pm
Why would anyone wire transfer money to a business?
That would be my first sign that I wouldn’t do business with them!
500guy
5/21/2020 2:39pm
Just imagine getting $500-$1000 now and doing the work next year after the money is long gone, sure wouldn't be much motivation.

Sounds like a Ponzi Scheme for dirt bike porting
OLDMOTO
5/21/2020 5:27pm
I've worked in the automotive repair industry for over 50 years in California. I've managed everything from small and medium sized mechanical repair shops to huge multidealer collision repair centers. I have also seen simular situations before. These things don't get better by leaving them alone and waitng. Regardless of the cause, this is fraud and stealing. Here's my thoughts on this situation:

According to all these posts. It seems that Mr. Varner has the ability to do excellent work. He is a nice man that has helped people out in the past. He has run his business properly in the past but that appears to no longer be the case. It also appears he is now perhaps lacking integrity and has questionable business ethics. He may have financial issues, health issues, mental health issues or an addiction problem causing the problems. Who knows. I think it is a good thing this has been exposed here on this forum. For every one person that states a problem there must be more we haven't heard about yet. I don't think this has been a lynching and people are giving honest testimonies.

My questions:
To the people that claim to be Mr. Varner's friends. Have you checked on him? Have you explained to him that he must get the oldest work done first or return the parts and refund the money? Further has anyone explained to him that he should not take in any more work until he is caught up? Is there family that can be contacted to help if he is unwell or mentally compromised in some way?

My suggestion to the people that have not received their parts:

If you haven't received the completed work or your parts and refund after all of this, you're probably not going to. This situation won't fix itself.

Contact the State of California Bureau of Automotive Repair at 800-952-5210. File a consumer complaint for fraud. The BAR is the licensing agency in California. Charging for work not performed is fraud and a crime. Running an automotive repair business without a BAR license is a crime. The BAR will investigate this. First they will go knock on his door and work to resolve the problem. The BAR inspectors are good people. Most of the time the money gets refunded or the repairs cmpleted properly. They can also suspend his license to operate temporarily, close him down permanently and refer cases of fraud to the District Attorney for prosecution. I have Seen shops fined, closed down and people sent to jail in severe instances. You will also be preventing other people from ending up in the same situation. It may also help Mr. Varner to get his situation under controll.
JMCR250
5/21/2020 5:46pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Why would anyone wire transfer money to a business?
That would be my first sign that I wouldn’t do business with them!
Absolutely correct. If the vendor wants some money up front, fine. Use a credit card. If the vendor screws you over you can do a charge-back with the credit card issuer, and it's usually 100% effective if the consumer is truly in the right.

I had an experience with an east coast camera shop a few years that sold me what turned out to be a gray-market Nikon camera and wouldn't take it back unless I paid a several hundred dollar "restocking fee." A few calls to Chase solved my problem.
5/21/2020 10:36pm
All of you with TMR engine work, where is yours before and after dyno runs? We All know what varner Can make out of a engine?
5/22/2020 1:05am
MadsDausel wrote:
All of you with TMR engine work, where is yours before and after dyno runs? We All know what varner Can make out of a engine?
What he can make out of an engine is a long wait!!
GODZILLA
5/22/2020 1:27am
OLDMOTO wrote:
I've worked in the automotive repair industry for over 50 years in California. I've managed everything from small and medium sized mechanical repair shops to huge...
I've worked in the automotive repair industry for over 50 years in California. I've managed everything from small and medium sized mechanical repair shops to huge multidealer collision repair centers. I have also seen simular situations before. These things don't get better by leaving them alone and waitng. Regardless of the cause, this is fraud and stealing. Here's my thoughts on this situation:

According to all these posts. It seems that Mr. Varner has the ability to do excellent work. He is a nice man that has helped people out in the past. He has run his business properly in the past but that appears to no longer be the case. It also appears he is now perhaps lacking integrity and has questionable business ethics. He may have financial issues, health issues, mental health issues or an addiction problem causing the problems. Who knows. I think it is a good thing this has been exposed here on this forum. For every one person that states a problem there must be more we haven't heard about yet. I don't think this has been a lynching and people are giving honest testimonies.

My questions:
To the people that claim to be Mr. Varner's friends. Have you checked on him? Have you explained to him that he must get the oldest work done first or return the parts and refund the money? Further has anyone explained to him that he should not take in any more work until he is caught up? Is there family that can be contacted to help if he is unwell or mentally compromised in some way?

If you haven't received the completed work or your parts and refund after all of this, you're probably not going to. This situation won't fix itself.

Contact the State of California Bureau of Automotive Repair at 800-952-5210. File a consumer complaint for fraud. The BAR is the licensing agency in California. Charging for work not performed is fraud and a crime. Running an automotive repair business without a BAR license is a crime. The BAR will investigate this. First they will go knock on his door and work to resolve the problem. The BAR inspectors are good people. Most of the time the money gets refunded or the repairs cmpleted properly. They can also suspend his license to operate temporarily, close him down permanently and refer cases of fraud to the District Attorney for prosecution. I have Seen shops fined, closed down and people sent to jail in severe instances. You will also be preventing other people from ending up in the same situation. It may also help Mr. Varner to get his situation under controll.
You're absolutely right on all levels.

Oh, and we've read here as an excuse that Mr Varner has health issues.
I'll let you imagine what will happen to the missing parts if things get worse...
People get old, get sick, and in the end, they die.
Trust me, it happens.

yz133rider
5/22/2020 5:49am
MadsDausel wrote:
Tom Morgan's credentials are more than enough. His word is solid. His packages work. He answers questions, communicates, follows up, includes set up paperwork, tuning info, recommendations, and best of all, he gets it done and you get back to riding.
GODZILLA
5/22/2020 7:51am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2020 12:24pm
MadsDausel wrote:
A pile of parts that never get back together, obviously.

I don't have the feeling that anyone questioned his ability... when he actually does the work he's been paid for.
5/22/2020 11:40am
OLDMOTO wrote:
I've worked in the automotive repair industry for over 50 years in California. I've managed everything from small and medium sized mechanical repair shops to huge...

My questions:

Right here sounds like the best advice yet.

Contact the State of California Bureau of Automotive Repair at 800-952-5210. File a consumer complaint for fraud. The BAR is the licensing agency in California. Charging for work not performed is fraud and a crime. Running an automotive repair business without a BAR license is a crime. The BAR will investigate this.

If all of us that haven't received our motors/cylinders etc. Did this it might make a difference.

He hits the mark with his statement about Varner's friends. How are you helping us?

Post a reply to: Varner Motorsports issues

The Latest