VW T5 Transporter lwb moto setup

NotCore
4/26/2016 8:42pm
I've got no idea on the dimensions, but I do know that kids grow faster than you think.
4/26/2016 10:58pm
A lot of my friends drive a T5, that project would't work as I'm retty sure it's not long enough. When we put two bikes in it, it's basically filled up even without an extra seat bench
Sidecar
4/26/2016 11:06pm
I think you will struggle.... I had a lwb T4 and the internal dimentions are almost identical, I had a double seat in the back, giving seating for 5 ( 3 in the front ) and could get 2 450s in the back.... And tool box, fuel cans, kit bags etc but one bike had to be tight to the side of the van, in backwards and then the other in forwards, with front wheel next to the rear seat and bike then angled across the van, it was tight. How about a swb low roof crafter? They look awesome done right, iv now moved up to a lwb high roof crafter and I'm doing a full moto van conversion, not regretted it for a second.
Sidecar
4/26/2016 11:11pm

(Not my van or photo ) like this.....

The Shop

4/27/2016 3:11am
Yeh a crafter would be good, if i could find one in good condition that hasnt done 300+ ks. 2nd hand is my only option. Ive seen vitos with 3 seats in the back plus a bike but they have a couple more hundred mm in the back. I do like the transporters better. Thanks for the feed back
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
4/27/2016 4:20am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 4:20pm
Twas my dream van... I searched for all the Euro mods (ABT body kit and more).
Crappy early daze photochopLaughingShockedHuhSick

Sidecar
4/27/2016 10:13am
Yeh a crafter would be good, if i could find one in good condition that hasnt done 300+ ks. 2nd hand is my only option. Ive...
Yeh a crafter would be good, if i could find one in good condition that hasnt done 300+ ks. 2nd hand is my only option. Ive seen vitos with 3 seats in the back plus a bike but they have a couple more hundred mm in the back. I do like the transporters better. Thanks for the feed back
I know what you mean, took me 3 months to find a good clean straight crafter, bigger vans tend to be used as work horses more so than T4/5s, Vitos etc.... Happy with the crafter I found though

Stuntman949
4/27/2016 10:36am
Sidecar wrote:
I know what you mean, took me 3 months to find a good clean straight crafter, bigger vans tend to be used as work horses more...
I know what you mean, took me 3 months to find a good clean straight crafter, bigger vans tend to be used as work horses more so than T4/5s, Vitos etc.... Happy with the crafter I found though

Beautiful!
Tim507
4/27/2016 10:37am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 10:40am
Here is my project...2015 Dodge ProMaster 3500 Gas.....started in last summer. Nearly complete. Some fit and finish details to get done is all.

Tim507
4/27/2016 10:40am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 10:45am
Here is the exterior. It was a plain van, cut in all the windows, sunroof, 2 fantastic vents........

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
4/27/2016 11:04am
Tim,

Cool van! But you know what caught my eye the quickest? The chains through the rear wheel!
Tim507
4/27/2016 12:11pm
kzizok wrote:
Tim,

Cool van! But you know what caught my eye the quickest? The chains through the rear wheel!
When it comes to my bike - Trust no one!EvilAngryCool
Sidecar
4/27/2016 1:35pm
Thanks stuntman.

Tim, that's an awesome set up, cutting holes in your van is a nervous, scary, SLOW job hey!!!!
Sidecar
4/27/2016 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 1:46pm
sorry double posted.
Tim507
4/27/2016 2:18pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 2:21pm
Sidecar wrote:
Thanks stuntman.

Tim, that's an awesome set up, cutting holes in your van is a nervous, scary, SLOW job hey!!!!
It was actually pretty easy........I'm a glazierWoohoo Lots of blue tape, measure twice - cut once.....lots of sealant.

I did the initial layout and template on the inside of the door. Locating the opening square to the chassis. Held it in place with blue tape on the interior. Then drilled 2 1/4" holes through the door from the inside. Took the template outside and used 1/4 -20 truss head screws to place the template on the exterior of the door using the same holes.Then traced the template on the blue tape and then used a jig saw. Same method for all penetrations. About an hour total time per window......

The damn sunroof leakedCool Turned out to be a factory assembly problem on the unit itself!!!

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
4/27/2016 3:10pm
kzizok wrote:
Tim,

Tim507 wrote:
When it comes to my bike - Trust no one!EvilAngryCool
I hear ya. Just sucks it has come to that.
4/27/2016 3:52pm
Hey has anyone had a LWB VW transporter t5? Need to know if i can have a 3 seat bench seat in the back and fit...
Hey has anyone had a LWB VW transporter t5? Need to know if i can have a 3 seat bench seat in the back and fit a bike in the back still or even better 2. Dont mind if there is minimal leg room on the bench seat its gonna have kids seats on it.
Just ordered a new 16 Vito LWB yesterday I like the sprinters and crafters but you lose convenience e.g can't go through drive throughs etc. a good mate of mine runs a team and he said the sprinters and crafters are excellent Moto options but once you take the bikes and and have to use one as an everyday driver there a pain in the ass
tobz
4/27/2016 5:04pm
Hey has anyone had a LWB VW transporter t5? Need to know if i can have a 3 seat bench seat in the back and fit...
Hey has anyone had a LWB VW transporter t5? Need to know if i can have a 3 seat bench seat in the back and fit a bike in the back still or even better 2. Dont mind if there is minimal leg room on the bench seat its gonna have kids seats on it.
Just ordered a new 16 Vito LWB yesterday I like the sprinters and crafters but you lose convenience e.g can't go through drive throughs etc. a...
Just ordered a new 16 Vito LWB yesterday I like the sprinters and crafters but you lose convenience e.g can't go through drive throughs etc. a good mate of mine runs a team and he said the sprinters and crafters are excellent Moto options but once you take the bikes and and have to use one as an everyday driver there a pain in the ass
I've had my t6 for a few weeks now, things keep getting in the way but I've just aboit finished dynomatting the rear, that shit ain't cheap but totally worth getting rid of the road noise. and putting a floor in to at least get the bike in, then I'll plan everything else around that, storage space, dual battery and fridge/freezer.

cwtoyota
4/27/2016 5:19pm
Tim507 wrote:
It was actually pretty easy........I'm a glazier:woohoo: Lots of blue tape, [b]measure twice - cut once[/b].....lots of sealant. I did the initial layout and template on...
It was actually pretty easy........I'm a glazierWoohoo Lots of blue tape, measure twice - cut once.....lots of sealant.

I did the initial layout and template on the inside of the door. Locating the opening square to the chassis. Held it in place with blue tape on the interior. Then drilled 2 1/4" holes through the door from the inside. Took the template outside and used 1/4 -20 truss head screws to place the template on the exterior of the door using the same holes.Then traced the template on the blue tape and then used a jig saw. Same method for all penetrations. About an hour total time per window......

The damn sunroof leakedCool Turned out to be a factory assembly problem on the unit itself!!!

Nice work!
Sidecar
4/28/2016 12:09am
Sidecar wrote:
Thanks stuntman.

Tim507 wrote:
It was actually pretty easy........I'm a glazier:woohoo: Lots of blue tape, [b]measure twice - cut once[/b].....lots of sealant. I did the initial layout and template on...

Haha I'm not a glazier so it was not an easy one for me.... That's why my van only has a window in the sliding door Tongue
By the sound of it I wasn't far off doing it right though, plenty of measurements, tape used and used a jigsaw, very happy with the end result.
4/29/2016 6:27pm
Just ordered a new 16 Vito LWB yesterday I like the sprinters and crafters but you lose convenience e.g can't go through drive throughs etc. a...
tobz wrote:
I've had my t6 for a few weeks now, things keep getting in the way but I've just aboit finished dynomatting the rear, that shit ain't...
I've had my t6 for a few weeks now, things keep getting in the way but I've just aboit finished dynomatting the rear, that shit ain't cheap but totally worth getting rid of the road noise. and putting a floor in to at least get the bike in, then I'll plan everything else around that, storage space, dual battery and fridge/freezer.

you can buy pre cut flooring. I'm thinking of going marine grade carpet on the floor and if i don't like that i will get some flooring in.
tobz
5/5/2016 6:17pm
tobz wrote:
I've had my t6 for a few weeks now, things keep getting in the way but I've just aboit finished dynomatting the rear, that shit ain't...

you can buy pre cut flooring. I'm thinking of going marine grade carpet on the floor and if i don't like that i will get some...
you can buy pre cut flooring. I'm thinking of going marine grade carpet on the floor and if i don't like that i will get some flooring in.
Sure you can. Couple of sheets of ply wood and 2 metres of marine carpet from the store down the road, worked out a treat at a fraction of the cost Wink

JB479
5/5/2016 10:14pm
tobz wrote:

you can buy pre cut flooring. I'm thinking of going marine grade carpet on the floor and if i don't like that i will get some...
tobz wrote:
Sure you can. Couple of sheets of ply wood and 2 metres of marine carpet from the store down the road, worked out a treat at...
Sure you can. Couple of sheets of ply wood and 2 metres of marine carpet from the store down the road, worked out a treat at a fraction of the cost Wink

How are you liking your T6? TDI340 or 400?

I currently have an Iload but I'm looking at buying LWB Van. I was leaning towards are near new Vito, (not the newest shape) which are selling for around 30K with low kilometres. However I'm starting think I'm better off paying an extra 15k and buying a New/demo t6 or Vito.
tobz
5/6/2016 9:07pm
Bloody awesome mate, tdi400 7 speed auto. Travels great once I sorted the road move out. I'm getting a bit over 1000k's to a tank. The Vito was a bit to weirdly euro for me, gear selector where the windscreen whiper is n stuff like that, if you a accidently hit it, it goes into neutral, not ideal.
5/7/2016 3:55am
tobz wrote:
Bloody awesome mate, tdi400 7 speed auto. Travels great once I sorted the road move out. I'm getting a bit over 1000k's to a tank. The...
Bloody awesome mate, tdi400 7 speed auto. Travels great once I sorted the road move out. I'm getting a bit over 1000k's to a tank. The Vito was a bit to weirdly euro for me, gear selector where the windscreen whiper is n stuff like that, if you a accidently hit it, it goes into neutral, not ideal.
You get used to it my wife has a Mercedes with the same setup and yes I've gone for the indicator and put it into neutral a few times.
tobz
5/8/2016 6:18pm
tobz wrote:
Bloody awesome mate, tdi400 7 speed auto. Travels great once I sorted the road move out. I'm getting a bit over 1000k's to a tank. The...
You get used to it my wife has a Mercedes with the same setup and yes I've gone for the indicator and put it into neutral...
You get used to it my wife has a Mercedes with the same setup and yes I've gone for the indicator and put it into neutral a few times.
Yeah for sure it would be a pain to anyone that isn't used to it. I just felt more comfortable in the veedub. There was a shitty delay in the throttle on the Vito too, where as the vw just has torque for days.
5/8/2016 6:26pm
tobz wrote:
You get used to it my wife has a Mercedes with the same setup and yes I've gone for the indicator and put it into neutral...
tobz wrote:
Yeah for sure it would be a pain to anyone that isn't used to it. I just felt more comfortable in the veedub. There was a...
Yeah for sure it would be a pain to anyone that isn't used to it. I just felt more comfortable in the veedub. There was a shitty delay in the throttle on the Vito too, where as the vw just has torque for days.
I'm used to lag I've got a 550 Navara. I went the Vito as for a lease the car is cheaper than a VW. Robbie Marshal has got his T5 decked out real nice as well
tobz
5/8/2016 9:24pm
Yeah that's near on a perfect setup, I was a couple of weeks too late buying his old t5 that was mint. Not sure who done the work on it but I'd like to know!
shanhard
5/9/2016 11:11am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2016 1:18am
We had the T5 LWB with removable three seat bench in the back. I couldn't fit bikes in there with the seat in, as the seat was fixed and couldn't be moved forward, but 2 or three bikes and gear was no prob.

Post a reply to: VW T5 Transporter lwb moto setup

The Latest