VA moto scene

navalseabee
Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 8:25am
Hey Vital, so active duty military here getting ready to PCS again to the Virginia Beach, Virginia area. Wondering if anyone knows how the moto scene is there, I've heard the offroad racing is good but the wife and I enjoy both. Any input would be welcome.
|
mark_swart
11/23/2018 9:17am
I lived in that area and moved in 2012 (also military), at the time the closest track was Elizabeth City MX. There was also a practice track less than a mile from it that was open more often. South Fork MX is in Petersburg.

Quite a few historic tracks within driving distance you should also think about adding to your bucket list - you are probably 3 hours from Budds Creek and nearly that from Lake Sugartree in Axton. Sugartree was a national track in the 70s and 80s, it's worth a visit!

I'm sure guys with more recent knowledge will chime in, but you also have quite a few other tracks within a couple hours down in NC.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
11/23/2018 12:33pm
I'm 30min from Va beach. For quick day trip rides, Morgans Corner and Southfork are what I ride mostly, with in a hour.

To Marks historic tracks I would like to add Birch Creek, just raced there last week for the first time, awesome track, about 3.5 hours away from VA beach.

Unfortunately, VA isn't a hot bed for moto. But fortunately you will be near NC that is.

NC has these off the top off my head with in 3 hours:

Morgans Corner
ECMX
Deep Woods MX (new)
West Craven MX
NCMP
Cowbranch MX

A little further south,

Club MX (place is unreal, def plan a camp trip)
South of the boarder
etc etc.
navalseabee
11/23/2018 1:07pm
We're no stranger of driving, were lucky here we've got 1 good track very close, the next one worth driving to is Monster Mountain at around 4 hours. So it sounds like some of the same boat but with more options. Thanks for all the Intel, keep it coming if theres more.

The Shop

crowe176
11/23/2018 2:56pm
I was stationed in Va beach in 98-01. Elizabeth city and southfork were the goto's then. Southfork was a fun track. There was also some property not too far in to the country that was kind of like an ORV park loosly maintained lol.

I'll be honest though, the lack of riding around there is one of the main reasons I didn't re-enlist. Kicking myself now, as I'd be retired lmao. I hated living there.

One cool thing I remember was in 2000 they had a MX race right on Va Beach. I raced B, and lapped up to second in the A class (double gate drop) I grew up riding sand in West Michigan, but me and another guy were the only ones doing a long straight section in the wet sand, so it was pretty unfair to the guys not doing it lolol.. Good memory
crowe176
11/23/2018 2:57pm
OT, I always wanted to be a Seabee! I was a GM, so I had a little fun, but the Seabee's were a different breed.. I hope you find something that makes you enjoy the area and your time there.
Scull79
11/23/2018 3:55pm
You can check out Roberts Track and Trails in Gloucester, VA. Its probably an hour give or take from where you are. Very well maintained and wide track, usually not overcrowded and the owner and his crew are really awesome people.
Paul333
11/23/2018 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 11/23/2018 4:52pm
Virginia, NC, Maryland, SC, etc all have a very strong MX presence. All the tracks mentioned by others make it that way. Morgan’s Corner, Southfork, and the Elizabeth City MX track (ECMX Club) are the closest for you. Numerous members of this forum live in Virginia Beach, myself included.
PRM31
11/23/2018 5:12pm
I wish I knew more places in Northern VA.

I used to live in Va Bch when I was stationed at Oceana. Wasn’t riding at the time though.
JustMX
11/23/2018 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 11/23/2018 5:21pm
crowe176 wrote:
I was stationed in Va beach in 98-01. Elizabeth city and southfork were the goto's then. Southfork was a fun track. There was also some property...
I was stationed in Va beach in 98-01. Elizabeth city and southfork were the goto's then. Southfork was a fun track. There was also some property not too far in to the country that was kind of like an ORV park loosly maintained lol.

I'll be honest though, the lack of riding around there is one of the main reasons I didn't re-enlist. Kicking myself now, as I'd be retired lmao. I hated living there.

One cool thing I remember was in 2000 they had a MX race right on Va Beach. I raced B, and lapped up to second in the A class (double gate drop) I grew up riding sand in West Michigan, but me and another guy were the only ones doing a long straight section in the wet sand, so it was pretty unfair to the guys not doing it lolol.. Good memory
I was the promoter of that event.

It was a lot of fun, but the city sure got hard to deal with.

It is too bad. There were some awesome dealers to work with.

I remember you guys veering all the way down to the water at low tide on that long start straight. That was pretty cool.

I had never been around the ocean much before setting that deal up and I found out all kinds of interesting stuff about tides, dredged sand, and nor'easterns (they lost about 40' of beach in one night and almost lost a 6" diesel pump).
crowe176
11/23/2018 9:35pm
crowe176 wrote:
I was stationed in Va beach in 98-01. Elizabeth city and southfork were the goto's then. Southfork was a fun track. There was also some property...

JustMX wrote:
I was the promoter of that event. It was a lot of fun, but the city sure got hard to deal with. It is too bad...
I was the promoter of that event.

It was a lot of fun, but the city sure got hard to deal with.

It is too bad. There were some awesome dealers to work with.

I remember you guys veering all the way down to the water at low tide on that long start straight. That was pretty cool.

I had never been around the ocean much before setting that deal up and I found out all kinds of interesting stuff about tides, dredged sand, and nor'easterns (they lost about 40' of beach in one night and almost lost a 6" diesel pump).
That's awesome. Thank you! I can't imagine something like that would fly anymore.

It was one of the funnest races I've ever done. Pitting on the beach, the beach itself, rough rough track.. When I came back to MI, I used to check every year to see if it was still going. It would have been the only reason I'd ever go back to Va Beach at that time in my life..

At the time, the internet wasn't like it is today. When ever I asked people if they knew of places to ride, it was always private tracks, but only being there a short time, it was hard to make those connections or form any relationships. I literally rode by myself for 3 years every time. Lots of riders at the races I went to though, and some fast kids at the time.
11/24/2018 12:13am
Southfork in Disputanta is definitely worth checking out. Jon and his wife run a great facility. The track is always prepped and they update regularly with track conditions. This place is in my regular rotation and it’s 2.5 hour commute for me.

Not sure how far away it is from the OP, but Lake Sugar Tree is beautiful. Ryan Smith does an awesome job. They have a supercross series along with races on the main track. I wish I lived a little closer.

There’s also a training facility, Ivyhill, near Thornburg. it looks like something out of a video game! There’s quite a few videos on their social media pages that will give you a good idea of what they have to offer.

PRM, what area are you in? Have you heard anything about the club track in Prince William being built?
I’ve come to learn that there are private tracks scattered throughout the area as well, not too sure how open they are to people outside of their inner circle though.
navalseabee
11/24/2018 3:44am
Paul333 wrote:
Virginia, NC, Maryland, SC, etc all have a very strong MX presence. All the tracks mentioned by others make it that way. Morgan’s Corner, Southfork, and...
Virginia, NC, Maryland, SC, etc all have a very strong MX presence. All the tracks mentioned by others make it that way. Morgan’s Corner, Southfork, and the Elizabeth City MX track (ECMX Club) are the closest for you. Numerous members of this forum live in Virginia Beach, myself included.
We'll be moving late spring early summer, we will have to meet up sometime and go ride. Sounds like theres a good scene.
PRM31
11/24/2018 7:52am
Southfork in Disputanta is definitely worth checking out. Jon and his wife run a great facility. The track is always prepped and they update regularly with...
Southfork in Disputanta is definitely worth checking out. Jon and his wife run a great facility. The track is always prepped and they update regularly with track conditions. This place is in my regular rotation and it’s 2.5 hour commute for me.

Not sure how far away it is from the OP, but Lake Sugar Tree is beautiful. Ryan Smith does an awesome job. They have a supercross series along with races on the main track. I wish I lived a little closer.

There’s also a training facility, Ivyhill, near Thornburg. it looks like something out of a video game! There’s quite a few videos on their social media pages that will give you a good idea of what they have to offer.

PRM, what area are you in? Have you heard anything about the club track in Prince William being built?
I’ve come to learn that there are private tracks scattered throughout the area as well, not too sure how open they are to people outside of their inner circle though.
Yes, I am aware if the track in Prince William. They keep,saying they are building a track, but I don’t think they have as of yet.

http://forpwc.com/

For now I’m limited to Budds Creek on occasion or Tomahawk in WV.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
11/24/2018 11:57am
Southfork in Disputanta is definitely worth checking out. Jon and his wife run a great facility. The track is always prepped and they update regularly with...

PRM31 wrote:
Yes, I am aware if the track in Prince William. They keep,saying they are building a track, but I don’t think they have as of yet...
Yes, I am aware if the track in Prince William. They keep,saying they are building a track, but I don’t think they have as of yet.

What you think of Tomahawk? I been meaning to do a camping trip because I'm 5 hours out.
Paul333
11/24/2018 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 11/24/2018 3:00pm
Paul333 wrote:
Virginia, NC, Maryland, SC, etc all have a very strong MX presence. All the tracks mentioned by others make it that way. Morgan’s Corner, Southfork, and...
We'll be moving late spring early summer, we will have to meet up sometime and go ride. Sounds like theres a good scene.
Absolutely

Joining the Elizabeth City Motocross Club is simply a no brainer. They run the ECMX track as a nonprofit. Very well organized, nice people, and great track. Once a full member you get access to ride as much as you want.
rmoto003
11/24/2018 3:39pm
Virginia is LAME

LAME GAANNNGGGG
A
M
E

G
A
A
N
N
N
G
G
G
G

fuck i hate living in virginia
PRM31
11/28/2018 8:25am

PRM31 wrote:
Yes, I am aware if the track in Prince William. They keep,saying they are building a track, but I don’t think they have as of yet...

Markee wrote:
What you think of Tomahawk? I been meaning to do a camping trip because I'm 5 hours out.
I like Tomahawk. Track is typically very well prepped. They’ve toned down some of the jumps over the years. That works for me as I’m old now and I did destroy my collarbone there many years ago. If I were closer I’d happily ride there a lot.

Post a reply to: VA moto scene

The Latest