Used 2 stroke prices

Related:
Create New Tag

2/23/2018 7:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/23/2018 7:39 PM

Are people really paying this much for really old bikes? I mean I know 500s are rare but the were not really great bikes back then, so why would someone pay this much? Nostalgia? I mean you could get a like new 450 for these prices.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/d/2001-honda-cr-500-make/6507705618.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mcy/d/03-kx-500-kxoriginal-one/6430223135.html

|

2/23/2018 7:41 PM

There’s a more original, very low hour 01 CR500 up here (WA) for 5k firm but it hasn’t sold in a month or two. Unfortunately most of these folks think their 2-stroke is made of platinum...

|

2/23/2018 7:47 PM

Both of the bikes in the ads you posted are definitely over priced IMO... but yea the market price for big bore 2strokes has definitely spiked a lot compared to 5, 10 years ago. Anything less than $2500 for a clean, complete running 500 is good deal these days

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

2/23/2018 7:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/23/2018 7:52 PM

I ride and love mine but still think they are over
Priced. But people pay up. I remember used 2 stroke 250s costing 800-1500 all day long. Those were the days......

|

why does Kermit's fingers always smell like pork?

2/23/2018 7:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/23/2018 7:55 PM

Well. I think they are fantastic bikes. But what do I know.?
Photo
If I could only have one bike In my garage for the rest of my days I'm pretty sure it would be the 5hundy

|

2/23/2018 7:54 PM

The 500s shown in those ads aren’t going to bring anywhere near the asking prices.

|

2/23/2018 8:09 PM

Yz250’s are great to buy new because they have awesome resale value. Just go new.....ride the shit out of it.....then sell it for a decent price. If you buy it for $6500.......ride the snot out of it (of course taking great care of it), then sell it in a year or two for around $4-4500. Great deal to only depreciate by a couple grand.

Look at it from the buying it new side. Almost makes sense to finance

|

2/23/2018 8:13 PM

Moto520 wrote:

Yz250’s are great to buy new because they have awesome resale value. Just go new.....ride the shit out of it.....then sell it for a decent price. If you buy it for $6500.......ride the snot out of it (of course taking great care of it), then sell it in a year or two for around $4-4500. Great deal to only depreciate by a couple grand.

Look at it from the buying it new side. Almost makes sense to finance

Love the YZ. But they are losing ground to ktm and husky year after year. How long until the yz “stock”takes a hit?

|

why does Kermit's fingers always smell like pork?

2/23/2018 9:31 PM

out in cali they are all so pricey. i want one but not really trying to pay alot

|

2/23/2018 10:44 PM

omalley wrote:

There’s a more original, very low hour 01 CR500 up here (WA) for 5k firm but it hasn’t sold in a month or two. Unfortunately most of these folks think their 2-stroke is made of platinum...

Seen that one. I would not be surprised if he didn't get close to that amount though. Ya it's overpriced, but it's still cheaper than a decent 450. See a lot of bikes that most would say way o/p, sell fast only because it isn't a pile?

|

2/23/2018 10:58 PM

Moto520 wrote:

Yz250’s are great to buy new because they have awesome resale value. Just go new.....ride the shit out of it.....then sell it for a decent price. If you buy it for $6500.......ride the snot out of it (of course taking great care of it), then sell it in a year or two for around $4-4500. Great deal to only depreciate by a couple grand.

Look at it from the buying it new side. Almost makes sense to finance

JOE_SPROCKETS#1 wrote:

Love the YZ. But they are losing ground to ktm and husky year after year. How long until the yz “stock”takes a hit?

Very true but the YZ’s definitely have a loyal following as the bikes sit. They do work pretty great and are easy to keep running. I like the KTM 4 strokes but i personally prefer the YZ smoker over the KTM. Just preference and i wouldnt race the two stroke anyhoo. I use it for fun and it doesnt matter as much that it’s not as quick as the KTM. If i was racing the two stroke......i’d maybe give the newer ktm another chance

|

2/23/2018 10:59 PM

JWACK wrote:

Well. I think they are fantastic bikes. But what do I know.?
Photo
If I could only have one bike In my garage for the rest of my days I'm pretty sure it would be the 5hundy

Race the 4 stroke and play on the 500? Great combo

|

2/23/2018 11:16 PM

|

2/24/2018 12:07 AM

JWACK wrote:

Well. I think they are fantastic bikes. But what do I know.?
Photo
If I could only have one bike In my garage for the rest of my days I'm pretty sure it would be the 5hundy

Moto520 wrote:

Race the 4 stroke and play on the 500? Great combo

I don't care about preferences too much, but I really like that photo...too much bike porn going on here..

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel

2/24/2018 12:54 AM

What people ask and what people pay are two different things.

I heard recently (from Weege?) who said that YZ250s are the most selling dirtbikes of all time, and one YZ will go through 4-5 owners in its lifetime. I don’t know how true it this is but it makes sense.

I think it’s sort of an exaggerated market. Like people hear two strokes are in demand so they ask high prices for them.

I’m constantly browsing the norcal craigslist markets. I see the same two stroke posted for weeks/months at a time. I also see two strokes priced to sell that disappear within a few hours.

|

2/24/2018 1:59 AM

calcoast wrote:

What people ask and what people pay are two different things.

I heard recently (from Weege?) who said that YZ250s are the most selling dirtbikes of all time, and one YZ will go through 4-5 owners in its lifetime. I don’t know how true it this is but it makes sense.

I think it’s sort of an exaggerated market. Like people hear two strokes are in demand so they ask high prices for them.

I’m constantly browsing the norcal craigslist markets. I see the same two stroke posted for weeks/months at a time. I also see two strokes priced to sell that disappear within a few hours.

Exactly! I bought an absolute pristine .less than 5 hours ..2013 yz 250f limited edition ,for $3,600 AUD. The thing is literally as new...Id prefer to have the yz250 two stroke..2006 or newer....I've never seen one for under. $4k!! Friggin ridiculous!
At the moment...looking on Australia's biggest online selling option..Gumtree.... I can find a brand new 2018 yz 250 two stroke selling for $9k from a parallel imports seller... Numerous 2017 models with allegedly low hours for a measly $9.5 to 10.5 k...WTF???Are these people having unrealistic dream sequences?
I want an 06or newer yz 250... Be fucked if I'm gonna pay more than $2.8 k for one though....just batshit crazy prices..
You can quite literally buy a 2018 yz 450 f here a lot cheaper than you can a new ( 13 model years old ) yz 250...
Already been through that process..bought a new 2017yz 450 for more than $1k cheaper out the door than the yz 250 sitting beside it on the dealer floor....really batshit crazy when you Thi k about it..

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel

2/24/2018 4:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2018 4:37 AM

calcoast wrote:

What people ask and what people pay are two different things.

I heard recently (from Weege?) who said that YZ250s are the most selling dirtbikes of all time, and one YZ will go through 4-5 owners in its lifetime. I don’t know how true it this is but it makes sense.

I think it’s sort of an exaggerated market. Like people hear two strokes are in demand so they ask high prices for them.

I’m constantly browsing the norcal craigslist markets. I see the same two stroke posted for weeks/months at a time. I also see two strokes priced to sell that disappear within a few hours.

PJRAUS wrote:

Exactly! I bought an absolute pristine .less than 5 hours ..2013 yz 250f limited edition ,for $3,600 AUD. The thing is literally as new...Id prefer to have the yz250 two stroke..2006 or newer....I've never seen one for under. $4k!! Friggin ridiculous!
At the moment...looking on Australia's biggest online selling option..Gumtree.... I can find a brand new 2018 yz 250 two stroke selling for $9k from a parallel imports seller... Numerous 2017 models with allegedly low hours for a measly $9.5 to 10.5 k...WTF???Are these people having unrealistic dream sequences?
I want an 06or newer yz 250... Be fucked if I'm gonna pay more than $2.8 k for one though....just batshit crazy prices..
You can quite literally buy a 2018 yz 450 f here a lot cheaper than you can a new ( 13 model years old ) yz 250...
Already been through that process..bought a new 2017yz 450 for more than $1k cheaper out the door than the yz 250 sitting beside it on the dealer floor....really batshit crazy when you Thi k about it..

So a new 18 yz450 goes for 9.1k US, that includes r&d, tooling set up, advertising, and what ever else. And the yz250 has no r&d, or tooling costs, have not seen any 2 stroke ads during mx or sx. So why does a yz cost damn near the same of a brand new yz450? Seems they should be close to half the cost new.

How many would the sell if 5 or 6 k otd...

|

2/24/2018 5:39 AM

There was a CR480 for sale at Telford last week, which had been converted to twin shock. £6995 = $9,800....

|

2/24/2018 7:06 AM

My 2 cents. I don't think used two stroke prices are that crazy. As new bike prices keep rising it makes sense that used bike prices will come up with them. New 450's are close to 10k these days. On top of that the pool of used two strokes is ever shrinking and its simple supply and demand.

With that said bikes priced to sell, sell quick while other people go fishing. I had a 2006 yz125 I sold this year for 2k that I paid 1700 for in 2011. Also had a very low hour 2006 yz250 that I sold for 2600. I paid 2500 for it the year before. Cash always talks...

|

2/24/2018 7:15 AM

JWACK wrote:

Well. I think they are fantastic bikes. But what do I know.?
Photo
If I could only have one bike In my garage for the rest of my days I'm pretty sure it would be the 5hundy

Moto520 wrote:

Race the 4 stroke and play on the 500? Great combo

Pretty much! I take the 500 out a few times a year and am always glad i did. I freakin love that bike.

|

2/24/2018 7:52 AM

Think of the economics of it. For the first time in the history of the world.....dirt bike resale pricing is not dropping like a bomb. A 2 stroke actually holds some value. Seriously makes sense to go new and sell after 1-2 years.

Think of low financing and 0% down. Anyone ever do this on a dirt bike? You wind up upside down right away (of course). With a smoker....you can almost consider financing as comparable to a lease. $4500 for a 2 year old YZ is a good deal for the buyer and seller. I like this trend although im having a hard time explaining it.

|

2/24/2018 8:02 AM

b_kowalsk wrote:

My 2 cents. I don't think used two stroke prices are that crazy. As new bike prices keep rising it makes sense that used bike prices will come up with them. New 450's are close to 10k these days. On top of that the pool of used two strokes is ever shrinking and its simple supply and demand.

With that said bikes priced to sell, sell quick while other people go fishing. I had a 2006 yz125 I sold this year for 2k that I paid 1700 for in 2011. Also had a very low hour 2006 yz250 that I sold for 2600. I paid 2500 for it the year before. Cash always talks...

Yep. I've actually made money on 250 2 strokes the last 8 yrs. with out trying especially here in CA.

Bought a new 07 CR250r in 2011 with 0 hrs. for a good price & was offered $7K a couple of yrs. ago.

Photo

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

2/24/2018 8:06 AM

I have bought and sold a lot of different bikes over the years and by far the two strokes are just easier sells to the average buyer. I always hated selling two strokes because I enjoyed riding them and I knew they would sell fast after listed so I had to be ready to part with it. Four strokes seemed to typically take 3-4 weeks to sell so I could keep riding those for awhile.

You sell it with a fresh top end and everything mechanically sound and they basically sell themselves at the right price.

There are tons of people out their that don't want to take out a loan for a new bike. So they start looking backwards to see what they can get based on what they can pay out of pocket or with a tax return. For most of these people, I think that value tends to land in the $2500 to $4500 range. And then you start comparing 4 stroke and 2 stroke in those years. Most are going to see that it is hard to beat a 250 two stroke for value (bang for the bank)

Yes I think they are worth fair values in today's dirt bike economy and it is important that we always have a good supply of used bikes to buy at affordable prices to keep the grassroots guys in and paying the bills.

|

2/24/2018 8:30 AM

calcoast wrote:

What people ask and what people pay are two different things.

I heard recently (from Weege?) who said that YZ250s are the most selling dirtbikes of all time, and one YZ will go through 4-5 owners in its lifetime. I don’t know how true it this is but it makes sense.

I think it’s sort of an exaggerated market. Like people hear two strokes are in demand so they ask high prices for them.

I’m constantly browsing the norcal craigslist markets. I see the same two stroke posted for weeks/months at a time. I also see two strokes priced to sell that disappear within a few hours.

Ive been browsing norcal craigslist too ... People want insane prices for 2 stroke 250's ....the first gen aluminum framed cr250's are on average $2000 and up but i bought this beauty ...low hours for $1500 and i REALLY like it! 2003 KX250

Photo

|

2/24/2018 9:13 AM

Wells423 wrote:

Are people really paying this much for really old bikes? I mean I know 500s are rare but the were not really great bikes back then, so why would someone pay this much? Nostalgia? I mean you could get a like new 450 for these prices.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/d/2001-honda-cr-500-make/6507705618.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mcy/d/03-kx-500-kxoriginal-one/6430223135.html

Those two bikes are kind of extreme examples of being over priced for sure. A good and honest price all depends on what you want and how well it's been taken care of. There are great deals out there , as many have posted their buys on here.

I picked this up for $3000.00 about 3 years ago. Love this bike more then anything.

Photo

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

2/24/2018 9:34 AM

Photo

|

2/24/2018 9:45 AM

^^^ LOL Good one smile

|

2/24/2018 3:01 PM

PJRAUS wrote:

Exactly! I bought an absolute pristine .less than 5 hours ..2013 yz 250f limited edition ,for $3,600 AUD. The thing is literally as new...Id prefer to have the yz250 two stroke..2006 or newer....I've never seen one for under. $4k!! Friggin ridiculous!
At the moment...looking on Australia's biggest online selling option..Gumtree.... I can find a brand new 2018 yz 250 two stroke selling for $9k from a parallel imports seller... Numerous 2017 models with allegedly low hours for a measly $9.5 to 10.5 k...WTF???Are these people having unrealistic dream sequences?
I want an 06or newer yz 250... Be fucked if I'm gonna pay more than $2.8 k for one though....just batshit crazy prices..
You can quite literally buy a 2018 yz 450 f here a lot cheaper than you can a new ( 13 model years old ) yz 250...
Already been through that process..bought a new 2017yz 450 for more than $1k cheaper out the door than the yz 250 sitting beside it on the dealer floor....really batshit crazy when you Thi k about it..

Simply the classic 'model' - Supply and Demand , PJ .

Yes, some people think they have gold to sell, and go for unrealistic prices. Those bikes sit. Then, others have real, For Sale prices, and move things on. That they get, generally, far more money still for the bike over an equivalent 4t - well, there you go.

You ain't going to get a Good 05 - 18 YZ250 for $2800, young man. Unless it's completely f**ked, or the bloke that's selling is desperate for a sale and / or dumb as a post. Or, it's 'hot' as hell.......

Priceing of new YZ 2ts? Shit yes, it's mind boggling.

Yamaha themselves, are making quite the profit on a 13 year old 'base' bike - it's a hell of a business model.

KTM did much the same with the up to '15125/200 and '16 250/300 engine modules, that were basically the same 'base' engine design for damned near 2 decades, that they just tagged into the 4t rolling chassis design evolution. Count up the number of 4t engine full re-designs and outright new designs they put out during the same years. Once again, a hell of a good business model.

I've a CRE500. I've seen the prices they are getting now. w00t That ADR*** plate adds a Lot to their desirability.

I've a mate that endlessly harasses me about selling it to him, offering me 'silly' money. And, I regularly have others chasing me for it - enough to drive me up the wall at times.

But it's a 'keeper' which will remain in my family forever, I hope. It's used constantly, between body breakdowns, work and travel. It's highly modified, with totally different suspension, air induction, brakes etc, looks terrible (with some plastics being a decade or two old), but can be put back to standard in an afternoon - with all new, original plastics and parts back on it and mechanically perfect..

*** - for non Australians, ADR is for Australian Design Regulations = a plate / tag that enables a Vehicle to be registered (plated) for full road use. Hell, to get through that, the 500s were so heavily restricted - 1 Reed blocked off with a steel plate, a Throttle Limiter, a washer welded into the pipe right at the barrel junction with about a 20(?) mm hole, and a muffler with a final core ID of about 16mm. And, I think, a plate between the airfilter and airboot. It made it "learner Legal", due to it's power to weight ratio. The Noise Compliance sticker that is affixed to it shows the Db test as being at 1750rpm - that's 1/2 the revs it was capable of in ADR spec. I 'think' they were rated at around 17HP..........whistling

|

2/24/2018 3:16 PM

I know its a quad but some dude floating around the ixcr series wants 10 grand for a like new 2014 trx450er. Been raced though. No way would i give that much for a stock machine just because the owner bought it out of the crate.

|

2009 RMZ 250 (sold)
2004 LTZ 400
#nukethequads

2/24/2018 3:28 PM

Not sure about the rest of the country, but i feel like the market has corrected itself a bit and some people out in CA are a little less delusional about their old 2-strokes this year than last year.

Just anecdotal observation, but I've noticed people who posted the absurd prices from last year didn't find many buyers and capitalism played into effect. Most of the ratted out shit I see on craigslist these days is priced appropriately. Just my $.02

|

If it can't be fixed with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.