Use caution when selling your toys

erik_94COBRA
Edited Date/Time 3/17/2021 4:50am
In the Houston area, the common rip-off approach is having a potential buyer ask you to meet them at a park. The park is usually conveniently located near powerline right of ways, trails, or bayous. The perp then shows a wad of cash (a roll of money with a big bill on the outside) and asks to take a test ride. During the "test ride" they ride off, never to be found. Have had contact for this scheme happen to me on FB Marketplace and local groups, and on Craigslist.

A family member forwarded this story from New Orleans which sounds like the same story, but it went to shit. Guy with dirt bike for sale meets prospective buyer, then the "buyer" proceeds to kill him and drive his SUV and trailer away from the scene. Then uses the dirt bike to ride back to his apartment. Unfuckingbelievable.

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_ec3c6166-8029-11eb-95a5-…

Be safe in your transactions. My local police department has an area of the parking lot that can be used for transactions like this. Yours may as well.
|
ShawdowGlen
3/9/2021 1:58pm

Thieves are scum.

For big purchases, I say "meet me at Sheriffs station". That clears out the riff-raff real quick. Small purchases, I meet at a local Starbucks. Want to have the bike/car inspected...sure thing, I'll meet you at your mechanics business...but I am present ALL the time. NEVER meet anyone alone. Avoid at all costs having people come to your home.

Natester551v
3/9/2021 2:02pm
Also, trust rides mean full payment up front. I also recommend meeting at the Sheriff's Depth like ShadowGlen said, and I carry concealed at all times (assuming you can).

I hate selling stuff...

The Shop

Zycki11
3/9/2021 2:10pm
I always go to a very public location with cameras like Walmart. I have also know of someone who was selling a bike, when the buyer asked to test ride it, they simply rode off and had another person with a truck waiting.

Sheriffs parking lot is a smart spot for sure
Skerby
3/9/2021 2:15pm
Be careful test riding peoples stuff. Buddy of mine was test riding a TRX450 on the highway in front of sellers house, gets it into top gear, what do you know red and blue lights. Kid pins it, they run him off the road before too long.

Ended up facing some serious charges, poor bastard. It was dumb to pin it and try to run, but this kid couldnt help it lol.
UGOTBIT
Fantasy
1724th
3/9/2021 2:23pm
Zycki11 wrote:
I always go to a very public location with cameras like Walmart. I have also know of someone who was selling a bike, when the buyer...
I always go to a very public location with cameras like Walmart. I have also know of someone who was selling a bike, when the buyer asked to test ride it, they simply rode off and had another person with a truck waiting.

I also know someone that the same thing happened to, that was like 15 years ago.

Just last week local to me, a kid was stabbed in the ear by someone who wanted to "buy" his bike. IDK all the details but they were ale to get the bike back, but i think the kids ear drum is permanently damaged. Two scumbag attempted murderers still at large.
Zycki11
3/9/2021 3:05pm
Zycki11 wrote:
I always go to a very public location with cameras like Walmart. I have also know of someone who was selling a bike, when the buyer...

UGOTBIT wrote:
I also know someone that the same thing happened to, that was like 15 years ago. Just last week local to me, a kid was stabbed...
I also know someone that the same thing happened to, that was like 15 years ago.

Just last week local to me, a kid was stabbed in the ear by someone who wanted to "buy" his bike. IDK all the details but they were ale to get the bike back, but i think the kids ear drum is permanently damaged. Two scumbag attempted murderers still at large.
That’s crazy. Last bike I sold I did so in a gated cube smart facility. Had to have the combo to open the gate and cameras everywhere. People today are bat shit crazy
xrmark
3/9/2021 3:12pm
Skerby wrote:
Be careful test riding peoples stuff. Buddy of mine was test riding a TRX450 on the highway in front of sellers house, gets it into top...
Be careful test riding peoples stuff. Buddy of mine was test riding a TRX450 on the highway in front of sellers house, gets it into top gear, what do you know red and blue lights. Kid pins it, they run him off the road before too long.

Ended up facing some serious charges, poor bastard. It was dumb to pin it and try to run, but this kid couldnt help it lol.
This happened to my cousin. Went over the bike over a couple beers, guy was on his way out and just wanted to see it run. Cousin rode it up and down the alley to show the guy it ran good and everything. Gets to the top of the street, turns around and bam, lights, cops gave him a fuckin DUI. They were impounding the bike until the buyer told him he came from far to buy it. Got to love Dana Point cops!
yak651
Fantasy
214th
3/9/2021 3:27pm
I usually creep their Facebook profiles before but I need to be more careful. Should be getting my concealed carry soon so that will make me feel a little more comfortable
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
3/9/2021 4:32pm
You did a great job of defining.... wad of cash
3/9/2021 5:00pm
Meet me at local police station. Many have an "E commerce" area and I always make sure its in well lit plain view of cameras.
xrmark
3/9/2021 5:03pm
I always meet in the local target parking lot. Right in front.
kevinr
3/9/2021 5:05pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2021 5:06pm
I got really lucky. Found a brand new dream bike and met a great person on my way home from my son's soccer tournament, 2 hours from my house, at 8:30 at night, at a Love's gas station in a town I never heard of before.

Around here people come see your bike and simply make note of your address. Then they come back later and break in. Insurance through statefarm is only 200 bucks for full coverage on our bikes.
motomike137
3/9/2021 5:40pm
kevinr wrote:
I got really lucky. Found a brand new dream bike and met a great person on my way home from my son's soccer tournament, 2 hours...
I got really lucky. Found a brand new dream bike and met a great person on my way home from my son's soccer tournament, 2 hours from my house, at 8:30 at night, at a Love's gas station in a town I never heard of before.

Around here people come see your bike and simply make note of your address. Then they come back later and break in. Insurance through statefarm is only 200 bucks for full coverage on our bikes.
Nobody ever gets invited to my house these days.
hbdesigns913
3/9/2021 5:41pm
I have them come to my house. But I’m old school. Seems to me a thug is not driving out in the country to steal a bike from a gun carrying redneck. Just sayin
Indy mxer
3/9/2021 5:49pm
I have them come to my house. But I’m old school. Seems to me a thug is not driving out in the country to steal a...
I have them come to my house. But I’m old school. Seems to me a thug is not driving out in the country to steal a bike from a gun carrying redneck. Just sayin
Same here.
And I also mention that the guy that lives across the field from me is an Indiana State trooper, not kidding. lol
SEEMEFIRST
3/9/2021 6:55pm
I have them come to my house. But I’m old school. Seems to me a thug is not driving out in the country to steal a...
They seem to act differently when you have a 1911 on your hip for God and every one else to see it.

Legal or not, here's my attack dog.
PNWRider
3/9/2021 7:02pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Always bring a loading ramp!
And something that goes bang...
Camp332
3/9/2021 7:02pm
Local cop shop parking lot works here in NJ. We have a lot of a$$wipes around here.
Warlock
Fantasy
910th
3/9/2021 7:03pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Always bring a loading ramp!
What's the loading ramp deal?
hubbardmx50
3/9/2021 7:25pm
Dude that is terrible. I always make sure I have people around me at the house when I’m selling something. Plus I have neighbors who are almost always outside. RIP Mr. Vindel you should still be with us. Hope that scumbag rots in hell
Natester551v
3/9/2021 7:33pm
Dude that is terrible. I always make sure I have people around me at the house when I’m selling something. Plus I have neighbors who are...
Dude that is terrible. I always make sure I have people around me at the house when I’m selling something. Plus I have neighbors who are almost always outside. RIP Mr. Vindel you should still be with us. Hope that scumbag rots in hell
I would never, ever have a potential buyer come to my house. Like, ever....
SEEMEFIRST
3/9/2021 8:06pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2021 8:07pm
PNWRider wrote:
And something that goes bang...
Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang.

Sorry, I'm not in California or new York.
walkitoff
3/9/2021 8:11pm
Be careful of walmart parking lots. Their cameras outside are typically garbage. Best cameras in my area are at a local shopping mall... Can get license plates from anywhere in the lot.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/9/2021 8:12pm
This is exactly why I only sell to people I know or friends of friends. People are shitty!
brocster
3/9/2021 8:15pm
Dude that is terrible. I always make sure I have people around me at the house when I’m selling something. Plus I have neighbors who are...
I would never, ever have a potential buyer come to my house. Like, ever....
Nope always at a busy parking lot for small stuff and at the track for bikes if possible. Try and do things like hold their drivers listens, car keys, something valuable etc. I take pictures of their vehicle, license plate and sometimes even the person before they go on a test ride. Sucks that you can’t trust people any more.

Post a reply to: Use caution when selling your toys

The Latest