Upper body/Arm fatigue while riding

Edited Date/Time 8/21/2019 11:19am
Long time listener here, but first time caller. I’ve Been dealing with something weird the last month or so. When I’m out riding My arms and upper body will be dead tired after only a few laps (different feeling than arm pump) yet the rest of my body and my legs feel awesome and are ready to go. I’ll be riding on the balls of my feet and I’m able to grip the bike yet when it’s time to come into a corner hard after some breaking bumps or pull up in some whoops/rollers my arms and hands are done and I feel
like I’m gonna die if I keep riding. I ride my mountain bike 14-20 miles a week and try to do about four ab wheel rolls a day. I thought about adding push ups to my schedule but I thought that would make the situation even worse. Should I maybe try a drink mix like CytoMax for my Motos and workouts? All I want is to enjoy my riding days again and hit some races this year Sad
|
8/3/2019 3:23pm
I’m sure there’s already threads about this but I haven’t seen one recently. Any help is appreciated. I wanted to hit the SwapMoto race in California next week but I felt so horrible out at practice today that I guess I’ll be sitting at home next weekend or just having another frustrating day of practicing. Thanks
greenmx5
8/3/2019 3:26pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2019 3:29pm
Trying a rowing machine. I usually get on anywhere from 30-45 minutes at a time. Pullups and pushups. Do 100 of them in a workout (obviously not in a row.) If you have access to a gym, do lat pull downs, bench pressing, dumbell flys, shoulder press, bent over rows, and dips for 12-15 rep ranges. 4 sets each. Those are a few things to try.

Edit: you're gonna be sore and tired for a while diving into weight lifting but it will get better the more you do it. Just have to power through it and make sure you're eating right. Eating right is the most important part.
8/3/2019 3:27pm
I felt great waking up today and still had plenty of energy when it was time to take the EZ up down and load up. So damn frustrating having another shitty day where I’m barley hitting any of the jumps and almost having my hand come off on downhills.

The Shop

Drop-Bear
8/3/2019 3:30pm
At the Finke Desert race this yr. A bloke finished. Was complaining he lost one of his steg pegz on the throttle side. Took his gloves off, left hand was fine. Right hand looked like it had skin grafts on it.

Steg Pegs put all the effort of holding yourself up/forward, onto the legs.
8/3/2019 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2019 3:36pm
Been dealing with this exact same thing lately... today I was wondering if I am holding on too tight, or what. After just a few laps, my arms and shoulders feeling like I was doing some kind of strenuous overhead workout the night before...
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
8/3/2019 3:39pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2019 3:41pm
i would go see a sports doctor or real medical dr, rather then asking us morans. if it just started happening in the last month and you havent changed anything else there might be something else going on.
8/3/2019 3:48pm
greenmx5 wrote:
Trying a rowing machine. I usually get on anywhere from 30-45 minutes at a time. Pullups and pushups. Do 100 of them in a workout (obviously...
Trying a rowing machine. I usually get on anywhere from 30-45 minutes at a time. Pullups and pushups. Do 100 of them in a workout (obviously not in a row.) If you have access to a gym, do lat pull downs, bench pressing, dumbell flys, shoulder press, bent over rows, and dips for 12-15 rep ranges. 4 sets each. Those are a few things to try.

Edit: you're gonna be sore and tired for a while diving into weight lifting but it will get better the more you do it. Just have to power through it and make sure you're eating right. Eating right is the most important part.
Those are some good suggestions, thank you. I don’t have access to a gym or a rower unfortunately but I do have this cool thing I made for push ups. I just haven’t been using it because I never struggled with grip strength like I am currently and always focused on cardio/legs
8/3/2019 3:49pm
soggy wrote:
i would go see a sports doctor or real medical dr, rather then asking us morans. if it just started happening in the last month and...
i would go see a sports doctor or real medical dr, rather then asking us morans. if it just started happening in the last month and you havent changed anything else there might be something else going on.
I’m hoping it doesn’t come to that. I have good insurance but I don’t know what they would do for me
8/3/2019 3:51pm
Ride more and get comfortable with your setup. Confidence will let you hold on less tight.
My bike is awesome, I’m very vigilant with my suspension, sag, bars and position of my levers. I ride just about every week but I missed last week just because of the heat and no one to ride with. Ate pretty bad this week too so I knew today wouldn’t be my best day. Lol
8/3/2019 3:52pm
I lose my endurance even 3 weeks off my bike. Also try to do 5 slow laps to not allow yourself to get into your adrenaline levels. This kills me if I go full on the first few laps of the day
8/3/2019 3:54pm
The only thing I’ve changed in the last month is I bought a Troy Lee 5900 roost guard to wear under my jersey. It’s very comfy and I don’t see why that would be affecting my arms.
8/3/2019 3:57pm
I lose my endurance even 3 weeks off my bike. Also try to do 5 slow laps to not allow yourself to get into your adrenaline...
I lose my endurance even 3 weeks off my bike. Also try to do 5 slow laps to not allow yourself to get into your adrenaline levels. This kills me if I go full on the first few laps of the day
Very true I’ve had that happen as well. Today I did a few slow laps early in my first session because it was a track I hadn’t ridden in almost a year. And as the day went on my arms tired out and made me feel super sketchy.
8/3/2019 4:01pm
Been dealing with this exact same thing lately... today I was wondering if I am holding on too tight, or what. After just a few laps...
Been dealing with this exact same thing lately... today I was wondering if I am holding on too tight, or what. After just a few laps, my arms and shoulders feeling like I was doing some kind of strenuous overhead workout the night before...
That’s the same feeling I get. Hopefully this thread can help both of us. I’m seriously about to put the bike away for a couple months if I can’t figure this out. It’s no fun having one half of your body feeling completely exhausted, getting head shake and having your hand almost coming off the bars every lap.
mt798
8/3/2019 4:25pm
Do you have a cat? I have heard cat allergies can cause these very symptoms just in case you may have one. Don't get me wrong, I love cats but I don't have one for this very reason. I have found Dogs to be much better moto/training friendly animals than cats. I mean, whens the last time you saw a cat at a motocross track? Me, never! I have never seen a cat at a motocross track. There's a reason for that! Anyway, other than that, I'd suggest ride more if possible, run 3 to 5 miles a day 3 times a week, 5 sets of 100 push-ups 3 to 4 days a week, eat good, take some supplements, get plenty of rest and increase your water intake on a daily basis. That's all I got. Ride on bra...

VetRider97
8/4/2019 4:49am
Ride more and get comfortable with your setup. Confidence will let you hold on less tight.

Ride more and you should loosen up grip with confidence....once a week is minimal, the more the better. I have similar issue in spring every year, Living in the great north it takes me a month or more of riding to get comfortable and reduce arm fatigue.

Make sure you "warm up" by riding few sessions before you start pushing it in a race.. Makes a big difference for muscles and vascular system.

Bars and mounts can make big difference what gets transferred to your upper body. Stay away from cross bar type bars. Rubber mounts help reduce shock.

Fork setup is also a big factor. Too stiff of setup or air forks that are less compliant on small stuff transfer more to arms and upper body.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
8/4/2019 6:31am
mt798 wrote:
Do you have a cat? I have heard cat allergies can cause these very symptoms just in case you may have one. Don't get me wrong...
Do you have a cat? I have heard cat allergies can cause these very symptoms just in case you may have one. Don't get me wrong, I love cats but I don't have one for this very reason. I have found Dogs to be much better moto/training friendly animals than cats. I mean, whens the last time you saw a cat at a motocross track? Me, never! I have never seen a cat at a motocross track. There's a reason for that! Anyway, other than that, I'd suggest ride more if possible, run 3 to 5 miles a day 3 times a week, 5 sets of 100 push-ups 3 to 4 days a week, eat good, take some supplements, get plenty of rest and increase your water intake on a daily basis. That's all I got. Ride on bra...

Generally when MX gets too tough for an individual, getting a cat is a fine suggestion. Very easy.
kb228
8/4/2019 6:38am
Lean into the acceleration and lean against the braking. Right now ill bet youre pushing the bars away from you while you break and are pulling them while you accelerate. Go slow and practice this
kkawboy14
8/4/2019 7:28am
See if a chiropractor helps. Maybe something pinched in your back?
8/4/2019 9:06am
VetRider97 wrote:
Ride more and you should loosen up grip with confidence....once a week is minimal, the more the better. I have similar issue in spring every year...

Ride more and you should loosen up grip with confidence....once a week is minimal, the more the better. I have similar issue in spring every year, Living in the great north it takes me a month or more of riding to get comfortable and reduce arm fatigue.

Make sure you "warm up" by riding few sessions before you start pushing it in a race.. Makes a big difference for muscles and vascular system.

Bars and mounts can make big difference what gets transferred to your upper body. Stay away from cross bar type bars. Rubber mounts help reduce shock.

Fork setup is also a big factor. Too stiff of setup or air forks that are less compliant on small stuff transfer more to arms and upper body.
Yeah, definitely wish I could ride 2-3 times a week. And I’ve been running Twinwall 997 bars for about four years, maybe I should go back to the stock Honda 7/8 bars or maybe try a FatBar or pro taper style bar. Thank you
VetMX.com
8/5/2019 3:56pm
Take an aspirin before you ride and take a few clicks out of the compression on your forks. I would do Poo Tapers to give a little flex too.
Scull79
8/5/2019 4:04pm
VetMX.com wrote:
Take an aspirin before you ride and take a few clicks out of the compression on your forks. I would do Poo Tapers to give a...
Take an aspirin before you ride and take a few clicks out of the compression on your forks. I would do Poo Tapers to give a little flex too.
All poo is tapered. Keeps your asshole from slamming shut.
OtotheB178
8/6/2019 1:19am
Have you changed the clamps or bars? Rolled them forward or back?
Have you changed your riding style? Got lazy with your positioning? Started wearing new neckbrace or helmet?

It sounds like maybe you're not in "your usual" position and therefore fatiguing quickly but not to the point of failure (cus you feel ok afterwards) Get a friend or spouse to film you and compare it to any of the good online coaching videos on youtube. You might find a simple fix.

duckdog77
8/6/2019 2:31am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2019 2:35am
Sounds to me that you need to get on a work out program that involves weight lifting. Some of the lifts posted above are good ones to include. And work on technique. You’re letting the bike pull you out of corners instead of it pushing on your legs if you’re using good form.

I ride once a week. Gym 2-4 times a week. 30 minutes of cardio every time at the gym. I can still fatigue while riding but it gets better each ride the stronger I get and the more I focus on my technique. I started making myself ride slower so I can do thing correct and I’ve gotten a lot faster.

Also a good thing to note as well is a good diet. Eating the right food will help with energy and fatigue levels.
fourfourone
8/6/2019 4:46am
Have you had anyone critique your riding? I find if I am not focusing on proper riding position and gripping with my legs my upper body gets tired very fast.
8/6/2019 11:30am
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It’s really hard to pinpoint one single thing that’s causing it but everything you have all listed can definitely help. I’m gonna start out with better/longer workouts (cardio and arms), more water throughout my day along with a drink mix during workouts/motos and small changes to my bars and levers. And of course small diet changes will help too. I guess working at a desk all day, poor diet and lack of exercise really beats you down and it definitely shows out on the track. Thanks everybody.
adiaz791
8/6/2019 12:29pm
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It’s really hard to pinpoint one single thing that’s causing it but everything you have all listed can definitely help...
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It’s really hard to pinpoint one single thing that’s causing it but everything you have all listed can definitely help. I’m gonna start out with better/longer workouts (cardio and arms), more water throughout my day along with a drink mix during workouts/motos and small changes to my bars and levers. And of course small diet changes will help too. I guess working at a desk all day, poor diet and lack of exercise really beats you down and it definitely shows out on the track. Thanks everybody.
Hey vitalriderCrf,

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago. First thing I did was make sure my suspension was set up right and I was using all the travel my RM-Z has to offer. Make sure your bars are aligned with the angle of your forks....this has helped me a lot as well. But it sounds like your body position, levers, and bars are already comfortable for you Tongue .

Second, eating right and hydrating A LOT. Drink lots of water even if that means having to pee 10 times a day while at work. And if you sit in a desk all day for work, get up and walk around every 30-45 minutes.

Third, I would incorporate core workouts into your daily exercise routine. Mountain biking is great especially if you're getting your heart rate up but your body needs core strength too. Doing a 10 minute core workout a day will go a long ways especially if you do it consistently. Lots of people will do a workout and think "I'm good for a few days". But consistency is key. Every body is different, but I'll share the core workouts I've been doing consistently the last month and a half.....eating right and doing the following workouts everyday has helped me so much and I am able to ride 20 minute motos without feeling dead. I also lost about 10lbs.

First workout is - [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcgZHKNaYis[/url]. It's a 10 min runners core workout.....45 seconds of working out and 15 seconds rest, then onto the next exercise. After that video is done, rest 90 seconds. Then start the next workout video immediately - [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JN8Nque1Sc [/url]. It's a Manny Pacquiao ab workout. About 10 minutes long, again. You can change a few of the exercises in the video to your liking and/or incorporate weights. Total workout about 20 minutes!

Hope this helps!

Albert

Post a reply to: Upper body/Arm fatigue while riding

The Latest