Unpopular Opinion: WTF are these guys thinking

Related:
Create New Tag

11/27/2020 8:48 PM

https://www.swapmotolive.com/kickstart-support-the-industry-this-holiday-season/features/kickstart/

The industry has had a record year. I've seen so many new people at the tracks, and recommended dozens to different businesses in the industry. Can we take some time to give back to the people that need it? E.g., people who have lost their entire livelihood through 2020? What about people like Tevin Tapia, Brian Moreau and James Marshall? They are in the industry, and I dont think buying a fucking calendar or something from a media company will help them at all?

I'm sorry but this grinds my gears. I've been able to help many people and loved ones this years who have been less than fortunate, and then I see an article like this asking for support, in an industry that has been booming since the shit hit the fan! I cant even buy the bike i want because they're all sold out, performance companies are turning business away because they're too busy, and parts are taking 3 times as long to be delivered in some cases. Maybe I'm uptight because its raining all over Texas and I can't spend my money at the tracks (even though I went on Wednesday), but Holy shit, if someone in the powersports industry isn't doing well right now, they are probably doing something wrong.

If you can, please donate some to James Marshall, who could use it WAY more, at @outlaw452 on venmo. Also Brian Moreau, Tevin Tapia and Killian Auberson have pages set up on Road2Recovery.

Fuck buying a bag a coffee, calendar or whatever shit that's selling like hotcakes right now.

/rantover

|

Holeshot Coffee Co.
Each bag sold donates $1 to Road2Recovery

11/28/2020 4:33 AM

Photo
|

Make sure you downvote!

11/28/2020 4:48 AM

Well said.

I've been nudging (read – forcing) my kids to put a portion of their very meager pocket money to a donation jar... we do save/spend/give... and them learning to help others less fortunate is why.

Last year we did a hamper for the local charity from their money. We'll do it again. My eldest got it when we went to the local charity stop, I actually saw the penny drop on her face... and EJ probably will this year. Good lesson.

Good rant!

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11/28/2020 5:30 AM

Engine Ice does not make a good holiday gift. Even we get that. So we're totally cool with people forgetting about us for the rest of the year and helping out our fellow man.

Happy Holidays everyone

|

Make sure you downvote!

11/28/2020 6:54 AM

EngIceDave wrote:

Engine Ice does not make a good holiday gift. Even we get that. So we're totally cool with people forgetting about us for the rest of the year and helping out our fellow man.

Happy Holidays everyone

Much respect to you sir. Not many business owners would follow your lead unfortunately.

|

themotolog.com The only offroad bike specific logbook available

11/28/2020 6:57 AM

EngIceDave wrote:

Happy Holidays everyone

For what it’s worth, my wife bought me a bottle of Engine Ice for Xmas a couple years ago. Great gift. She did tape a straw to the container though. Not sure what that was all about.

|

11/28/2020 7:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2020 7:18 AM

A well known suspension guy in my area told me he went from $3-5k a week in business to $10k average per week this year. Our local dealer was hiring guys to uncrate bikes they were ordering so many (and techs were super busy cause shops full).

The line that says try spend all your holiday money within this industry...?

Sorry, MX was never shut down. I will spend it at mom and pop shops that were shut down for months this year and are on the verge of shutting down.

|

Rent free...

11/28/2020 7:31 AM

EngIceDave wrote:

Happy Holidays everyone

crowe660 wrote:

For what it’s worth, my wife bought me a bottle of Engine Ice for Xmas a couple years ago. Great gift. She did tape a straw to the container though. Not sure what that was all about.

Engine Ice is non-toxic!

|

Make sure you downvote!

11/28/2020 7:35 AM

James Marshall is really struggling. Been very close to him for years, even before his crash. Look for a MX School/Ride Day for him soon. Blake Wharton and Trey Canard are interested in helping out. Will keep everyone posted.

|

11/28/2020 7:55 AM

We have felt like the dealers have that the bubble has been getting smaller.

So far Our black Friday sales have been a little smaller than usual but there is still today, tomorrow and cyber Monday to possibly catch up.

|

11/28/2020 8:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2020 8:43 AM

Welcome to the moto Industry OP

Where everyone cares about nothing but themselves and filling their own pocket While trying to act like your buddy

|

11/28/2020 9:29 AM

NOGAF!

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/28/2020 9:55 AM

Photo
|

11/28/2020 10:11 AM

I agree the powersports industry has done well, but promoting the sport and continuing to support those businesses is not a bad thing. I don't think Anton/Swap meant "buy an FMF pipe rather than help James Marshall". Charity and buying things for yourself are two very separate things and personal for everyone. For me, I would much rather donate my time helping someone/groups rather than write a check because it just isn't ever clear where that goes, but helping people in person is different.

Back to powersports.......this economy is going to catch up and drop like a bag of hammers soon, and when it does this industry will take a monster hit. We have already seen out with Geico bailing. I also predict a massive drop in dealer/online sales where all these people got into the sport this year and sell their 2020 stuff next year is a massive way. This could be due to employment issues or just not liking it like they thought, realizing you have to have fitness, or many other reasons. I hope I am wrong, but the economy in general is going to be really bad soon.

|

Facebook.com/8tensolutions
Twitter and Instagram @8tensolutions

11/28/2020 10:13 AM

Generosity is a great defense against cynicism.

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

11/28/2020 10:25 AM

No One Gives A Fuck.

|

11/28/2020 10:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2020 11:01 AM

My wife and I each year donate toys to Toys for Tots at our local fire station. It has nothing to do with moto but, hopefully doing so makes some kids day.
Edit: And yes, I’ll be donating to R2R .

|

11/28/2020 10:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2020 10:52 AM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

I think I get what you're trying to say here, and maybe you're right. But, I feel strongly about what I wrote. And remember, the owner of the media company that put out this article actively shits on moto companies every chance he gets because of petty stuff. Like taking time to comment negatively on PulpMX Twitter sponsor plugs, because he has a personal problem with them.

If you meant something else by it, then carry on.

|

Holeshot Coffee Co.

11/28/2020 10:54 AM

How do we send James Marshall some money?

|

11/28/2020 11:16 AM

GforceCoatings wrote:

If you have the Venmo App, sign in and tap the 'Pay or Request' button. Search for the username 'Outlaw452' and you will see James Marshall pop up (he has a profile pic with green/blonde hair). Enter the amount you would like to donate, and an optional message.

Then you can pay with a linked card or venmo balance! He's a good guy and if you have the time to reach out on instagram (he uses the same Outlaw452), he also appreciates having a little conversation, usually.

|

Holeshot Coffee Co.

11/28/2020 11:44 AM

Another way to support the industry indirectly is support the businesses of fellow riders. If you need a roof, call the dude that you know that has a roofing company. I try to support fellow riders whenever possible.

|

11/28/2020 11:48 AM

I'm thinking Swap meant well (obviously) and USA took it completely wrong. Although USA is right in his own rant about what we should be dropping money on. Do you need the gold wheels, or could you help out a downed rider in his darkest moments in life?

Although to turn it around, could you call USA an jerk for saying "help out Marshall, Moreau, Tapia and Auberson" but he left out Henry, Fonseca and Bailey? USA is an asshole! Fuck that guy! Obviously I'm looking at hit post the way he looked at Swaps.

|

11/28/2020 11:55 AM

And truth be told, I've donated to a David Bailey fund years ago, and that's about it. And to a few local guys who have been injured over the years. I need to donate more myself, and I know it comes down to money.

And just speculation, Swap has probably done more for the injured guys than half the guys in this post put together, maybe more.

Want one more unpopular opinion? When guys get hurt, we need to help financially, not just type in the comment box "prayers sent", I don't think that does much. Ok, now rip me apart for that comment......

|

11/28/2020 1:16 PM

GforceCoatings wrote:

USA wrote:

If you have the Venmo App, sign in and tap the 'Pay or Request' button. Search for the username 'Outlaw452' and you will see James Marshall pop up (he has a profile pic with green/blonde hair). Enter the amount you would like to donate, and an optional message.

Then you can pay with a linked card or venmo balance! He's a good guy and if you have the time to reach out on instagram (he uses the same Outlaw452), he also appreciates having a little conversation, usually.

Thanks. Money sent.

|

11/28/2020 1:26 PM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

USA wrote:

I think I get what you're trying to say here, and maybe you're right. But, I feel strongly about what I wrote. And remember, the owner of the media company that put out this article actively shits on moto companies every chance he gets because of petty stuff. Like taking time to comment negatively on PulpMX Twitter sponsor plugs, because he has a personal problem with them.

If you meant something else by it, then carry on.

What I am getting at, wholly apart from specific MX issue, is that choosing to be generous and acting on it to help someone, not for attention or to control the person who benefits, is better for one's soul than dwelling too much on the crappy reasons why generosity may be needed or even how f'ed up or just clueless people can be.

Leaning into generosity for the right reasons never screwed anyone's head up.

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

11/28/2020 6:32 PM

Why can’t a person do like 2 or 3 things at the same time supporting different people?

I don’t get you people that think everything has to be this or that......it can be both!

|

11/29/2020 12:18 PM

Years ago I started a simple website to help the privateer. Had riders name and email and if you wanted to give assistance all you had to do was PayPal them what you wanted to give. It pretty much died as few people gave.

I still own the domain soooooo ...... who wants to help get it going?

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Help-The-Privateer-help-needed,673422

Photo

|

11/29/2020 12:25 PM

lumpy790 wrote:

Years ago I started a simple website to help the privateer. Had riders name and email and if you wanted to give assistance all you had to do was PayPal them what you wanted to give. It pretty much died as few people gave.

I still own the domain soooooo ...... who wants to help get it going?

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Help-The-Privateer-help-needed,673422

Photo

What did you have in mind?

|

themotolog.com The only offroad bike specific logbook available

11/29/2020 12:32 PM

Let’s keep this thread on track helping ex riders that are down not those who still can live a normal life. Thanks.

|

11/29/2020 1:05 PM

EngIceDave wrote:

Engine Ice is non-toxic!

True story, I bought the pumpkin spice Engine Ice to add into my coffee. Still alive.

|

United States of America