Unique Third Party Perspective On SX Broadcast

Related:
Create New Tag

3/25/2019 9:56 AM

Usually I watch SX by myself or with other guys who know the sport well, all of which have the same opinion on the broadcast. But I always thought that it was just because of how well we knew the sport that we could nit pick the commentating and TV coverage. But this weekend I watched with a group of people who aren't familiar with the sport. Most of the group knew the names of RC, RV and JS7, but also thought they were still the men to beat.

Here are just some of the main points.

1) Many in the group (who know next to nothing about SX) mentioned that the commentators sounded like they didn't really know what was going on either. They didn't feel like they were being educated on the sport and found it hard to keep up with what was going on in the race.

2) People found it hard to focus on the race because the commentators spend a lot of time talking about other things (stories from their past, dinner the night before, etc.). They felt that there needed to be more focus on what was going in the moment rather than reflecting on a previous lap or another weekend al-together.

3) A lot of comparisons to Nascar coverage. The group wanted to know who specifically they were watching and what positions they were battling for. When not showing the leaders, there really is no indication of who they were watching and what place they were in, especially when the commentators won't help out by saying so themselves.

On the forum, I try to keep my opinions about the broadcast to myself because I understand that my perspective is bias because of my knowledge and passion for the sport. Hearing this feedback from people who don't follow the sport was disheartening. I was really disappointed to hear that their experience watching the race wasn't enough to bring them back next time. The only thing they really enjoyed was the carnage during the starts.

|

Two Wheelin is a good time.

3/25/2019 10:01 AM

I would say those are all valid points.

|

3/25/2019 10:35 AM

Yeah i watched alone during Seattle and there where times I was wondering what positions people where in , it seemed like something was different this week isnt there usually a scrolling message with positions, or
A running order thats up most of the time ?
It seems like things are getting worse instead of better, maybe the people in charge should go watch some races from previous years .

|

3/25/2019 10:38 AM

Also i hear the term casual fans a lot , who are these casual fans? Every time ive ever tried watching with other people around they have not paid attention at all , some even left the room , like seriously zero interest at all, more than once.

|

3/25/2019 10:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/25/2019 10:49 AM

That doesn't surprise me. This is an issue. The biggest series in our sport with the most people watching it has the worst broadcast of them all and it seems like it is getting worse, not better.

It would be fun to hear what the same people would think about the broadcast from Matterly Basin last weekend with Malin and Emig.

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- Yamaha YZ450F 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

3/25/2019 11:07 AM

Tarz483 wrote:

Yeah i watched alone during Seattle and there where times I was wondering what positions people where in , it seemed like ...more

I know during the Nationals they have the ticker at the top of the screen showing the running order. I'd imagine that's because there are so many more guys in those races.

Something that I've noticed recently is that timing and scoring takes almost a full lap to update and the running order on the side of the screen often is incorrect when a pass is made.

|

3/25/2019 11:08 AM

Motofinne wrote:

That doesn't surprise me. This is an issue. The biggest series in our sport with the most people watching it has the worst ...more

That would be a great experiment. It is a completely different experience watching essentially the same sport.

|

3/25/2019 11:17 AM

I miss David Bailey!

|

“Let the Good Times Roll”

3/25/2019 11:25 AM

They need tags on screen attached to the riders, showing their name. And position

|

3/25/2019 11:27 AM

cameron96 wrote:

They need tags on screen attached to the riders, showing their name. And position

This was exactly what one person was asking for. Comparing it to NASCAR broadcasts. Would be so helpful to newcomers.

|

3/25/2019 11:32 AM

Tarz483 wrote:

Yeah i watched alone during Seattle and there where times I was wondering what positions people where in , it seemed like ...more

Squid Williams wrote:

I know during the Nationals they have the ticker at the top of the screen showing the running order. I'd imagine that's ...more

Yeah I've noticed the delay as well, seems to me it used to update every time they finished a timing section, now it's like it only updates when they cross the finish line.

|

3/25/2019 11:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/25/2019 11:35 AM

Its a compromise. This sport just doesnt attract casual viewers. So the question is dumb down the broadcast for the minimal ppl who dont kno wtf is going on and tell them every single place and rider on the screen every camera change, or let the die hards see it on the side and talk about other things for the broadcast.

So they try to split down the middle. The reality of it is the broadcasters dont make the sport... if your friends didnt care much for the racing then they didnt like it and wont come back. How do u think it works in person? Exactly.

Either you love the sport or you dont care... no casual viewers, and the broadcasters dont affect if you like the product you see on tv in front of you which is the racing.

|

3/25/2019 11:37 AM

1. So the people who didn't know what was going on think RC didn't know what was going on, lol.
2. Not everybody can be Paul Mauldin.
3. I agree, this NAPCAR crap has to stop.

|

Tim Buck
SoCal MX Pro Apparel
http://www.socalmxpros.com/

3/25/2019 11:44 AM

mx617 wrote:

Yeah I've noticed the delay as well, seems to me it used to update every time they finished a timing section, now it's like it ...more

Sometimes the scoring screen is a disaster. And for some reason it seems like they usually struggle during LCQ's. Often (but not always) it will take nearly a lap before the race order is first updated. Is there any reason the LCQ scoring would be different?

Also, would it kill them to put a few more transponder readers on the track? On some tracks it seems like there is a long distance between time updates.

|

3/25/2019 11:46 AM

Tarz483 wrote:

Are you being sarcastic?

There is a list of all 22 riders on the left side of the screen during the whole race. (Sometimes they chop off the bottom 12 riders to highlight the riders being shown on screen.)

Though there was a weird thing in the 250 Main where only 20 riders were being displayed (instead of 22).

|

3/25/2019 11:50 AM

drt410 wrote:

Its a compromise. This sport just doesnt attract casual viewers. So the question is dumb down the broadcast for the minimal ...more

I can understand why they want to "dumb it down", I just don't see their current approach working very well so something needs to change.

As far as the broadcasters not affecting the product, I strongly disagree. I enjoy some NFL games much more than others simply because of who is in the booth. And Vital is chalk full of forums saying that people enjoyed SX more when Fro was in the booth. So I could argue that the broadcasters directly affect the product, especially when it comes to casual/new viewers - which you say do not exist.

|

3/25/2019 11:52 AM

Toosano wrote:

1. So the people who didn't know what was going on think RC didn't know what was going on, lol.
2. Not everybody can be Paul ...more

The people who didn't know what was going on didn't feel like the commentators were helping them understand what was going on or educating them on the sport itself. I'm not saying they felt like they knew more than RC and Ralph, they just felt like RC and Ralph weren't doing anything to help them understand what was going on.

|

3/25/2019 12:02 PM

I've watched a couple races with people that have never watched before. Here's some quotes....

Hey, that's Ralph Shaheen!

Isn't that the guy that tried NASCAR and got his ass kicked?

Man, those bikes shoot right out of the corners!

When do they give an update on the guys that crashed?

Looks like shit will go bad if they don't land just right. How do they do that?

|

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

3/25/2019 12:06 PM

Kenny Lingus wrote:

I've watched a couple races with people that have never watched before. Here's some quotes....

...more

Yes, drives me nuts when you see injured riders on the side of the track, and there is no mention about them at all.

|

3/25/2019 12:12 PM

Kenny Lingus wrote:

...more

RichieW13 wrote:

Yes, drives me nuts when you see injured riders on the side of the track, and there is no mention about them at all.

This and replays of the starts were non existent this weekend.

|

3/25/2019 12:16 PM

Squid Williams wrote:

In the 250 main, right after the start there was a pileup that I think included RJ Hampshire and Cameron McAdoo, but they never commented on it or showed it again.

I would never except Ralph and Ricky to pick up on all these things in real time. Sometimes there is just too much going on in the screen to cover it all. But surely there is a director who is watching this stuff, that can tell the on-air crew to come back to it.

|

3/25/2019 12:18 PM

Try broadcasting a 3 ring circus

|

“If you don’t crash alot, you just ain’t going fast enough” Chandler

3/25/2019 12:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/25/2019 12:23 PM

Tarz483 wrote:

Also i hear the term casual fans a lot , who are these casual fans? Every time ive ever tried watching with other people ...more

Same here... “They are going around again??” Is what I hear... then I have to explain the what we were watching for the first 2 hours didn’t count.

I just watch it alone.

MXoN this past year was the worst because ofnit being on a football Sunday

|

3/25/2019 12:21 PM

RichieW13 wrote:

Squid Williams wrote:

RichieW13 wrote:

In the 250 main, right after the start there was a pileup that I think included RJ Hampshire and Cameron McAdoo, but they ...more

Exactly. It's almost like there is nobody in the production truck. As much as everyone wants to hate on RC and Ralph for the broadcast, it is a huge undertaking that requires a lot of teamwork and people who know what they are doing. It seems that the people behind the scenes are not doing their jobs.

|

3/25/2019 12:42 PM

I get the feeling that Ralph and RC are looking at the same thing we are watching on TV.

When I watch with "casual fans"...they are always amazed that I can say the same thing the commentators do before they say it.

The commentators should have more info than the viewers do.

|

3/25/2019 12:48 PM

Titan1 wrote:

I get the feeling that Ralph and RC are looking at the same thing we are watching on TV.

When I watch with "casual ...more

I heard somewhere that there is a delay between the actual racing and the TV broadcast. RC and Ralph have to watch what we watch so it doesn't seem like they are predicting the future, if you will.

Not saying this is the best practice just what I heard.

|

3/25/2019 12:48 PM

Titan1 wrote:

Yes, my understanding is that they watch the same feed that we watch to base their commentary on.

|

3/25/2019 1:02 PM

Kenny Lingus wrote:

...more

RichieW13 wrote:

Squid Williams wrote:

I personally hate when the show a Replay of the start most times , because the first 5 or so laps is really the most important part of a SX race , and usually they go away from all that action when they show a start Replay, how about right after every Race while letting the guys catch there breath show a Replay of the start.

|

3/25/2019 1:49 PM

Squid Williams wrote:

Usually I watch SX by myself or with other guys who know the sport well, all of which have the same opinion on the broadcast. ...more

All great points. You should email that to there media team. Cc a few different areas of feld (or do a little research on there SX site of some relevant email adresses)
All of us talking about it on here ain’t going to do much. But you would be surprised when you put a professional well put together potential email like you have, without being offensive they well may very well not only read it but respond to it and also appreciate the feedback ..?

|

3/25/2019 2:04 PM

Titan1 wrote:

RichieW13 wrote:

Yes, my understanding is that they watch the same feed that we watch to base their commentary on.

I think this is part of the problem.

|