Unadilla Layout

Related:
Create New Tag

8/8/2018 5:23 AM

Unadilla seems to have the best track layout...watching the animated track map just makes me want to ride. Is it the rocks that keeps it from being the most incredible MX track ever?

|

8/8/2018 5:29 AM

Isnt unadilla right there with redbud as far as turnout and fan excitement?

|

8/8/2018 6:03 AM

Xracer wrote:

Unadilla seems to have the best track layout...watching the animated track map just makes me want to ride. Is it the rocks that keeps it from being the most incredible MX track ever?

It was the most incredible track for two decades. Then they decided to make it into just another supercross track.

|

8/8/2018 6:09 AM

Hasn't been the same since that tree fell down.silly

|

8/8/2018 6:12 AM

kb228 wrote:

No, I don't believe that's accurate. Holiday weekends play a big role in this stuff with attendance also.

|

8/8/2018 6:16 AM

kb228 wrote:

Jt$ wrote:

No, I don't believe that's accurate. Holiday weekends play a big role in this stuff with attendance also.

Being in BFE doesn't do much for getting the casual fans to show up either.

|

8/8/2018 7:03 AM

Unadilla is spectacular, amazing and a must see !!!!! That being said, it has changed for the worse. Unnecessary man-made jumps and excessive grooming.................what used to be tall grass in the morning. If somebody in power was smart enough to repeal the ridiculous "Double-Displacement Rule" in professional racing, and we could just get back to racing 125cc and 250cc motorcycles, ( Any Stroke), the sport would improve.

Photo

Above, the world famous, "Gravity Cavity" used to have ruts so gnarly at the bottom, it was originally called "Screw you".

Photo

Photo

The above uphill was a natural, crater filled, grass covered, incredible section ? Doesn't need to be a double....

Photo

....moderator, please don't cut me.

|

8/8/2018 7:17 AM

Xracer wrote:

Its really not that rocky. Ive raced the last two rewind events there & the dirt is amazing.

|

8/8/2018 7:25 AM

GangGreen wrote: Unadilla is spectacular, amazing and a must see !!!!! That being said, it has changed for the worse. Unnecessary man-made jumps and excessive grooming.................what used to be tall grass in the morning. If somebody in power was smart enough to repeal the ridiculous "Double-Displacement Rule" in professional racing, and we could just get back to racing 125cc and 250cc motorcycles, ( Any Stroke), the sport would improve.

Photo

Above, the world famous, "Gravity Cavity" used to have ruts so gnarly at the bottom, it was originally called "Screw you".

Photo

Photo

The above uphill was a natural, crater filled, grass covered, incredible section ? Doesn't need to be a double....

Photo

Gravity cavity was never called "Screw You". Screw you is the steep ass hill you go down, then straight back up...

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

8/8/2018 8:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2018 8:12 AM

BobPA wrote:

Gravity cavity was never called "Screw You". Screw you is the steep ass hill you go down, then straight back up...

Yep, I raced the USGP there in 1984 and the first lap when I dropped off that sucker I thought I was screwed lol! They call it GP Hill now I think.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

8/8/2018 8:50 AM

GangGreen wrote: Unadilla is spectacular, amazing and a must see !!!!! That being said, it has changed for the worse. Unnecessary man-made jumps and excessive grooming.................what used to be tall grass in the morning. If somebody in power was smart enough to repeal the ridiculous "Double-Displacement Rule" in professional racing, and we could just get back to racing 125cc and 250cc motorcycles, ( Any Stroke), the sport would improve.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

The loss of that sweeping uphill on the far side of the valley is one of the biggest travesties in MX history. Used to be so gnarly, the highlight of the track every year for me. That's where the men and the boys were seperated.

Then the bulldozers came and made it meaningless.

|

8/8/2018 9:20 AM

BobPA stated incorrectly, "Gravity cavity was never called "Screw You".

Actually it was........................here's a little bit of motocross history for you, (credit: Motocross Action Magazine, November 1978)

Photo

|

8/8/2018 9:28 AM

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

When I rode there in 14 the dirt was awesome. Such a fun track to ride, that step-up you don't like was super hard to make on the quad. I came up short one lap and bent my axle all to hell. Mind you, my build was down about 10hp from what the others were running.

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2003 KTM 125SX
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R

8/8/2018 9:47 AM

bh84 wrote:

When I rode there in 14 the dirt was awesome. Such a fun track to ride, that step-up you don't like was super hard to make on the quad. I came up short one lap and bent my axle all to hell. Mind you, my build was down about 10hp from what the others were running.

That uphill double is a pretty awesome spot to stand at the national. When guys case it you can literally feel the impact in the ground from the fence. Thank god for pro suspension.

|

8/8/2018 10:07 AM

GangGreen wrote:

Actually it was........................here's a little bit of motocross history for you, (credit: Motocross Action Magazine, November 1978)

Photo

Lol GangGreen brought receipts, well done.

|

If it can't be fixed with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.

8/8/2018 10:10 AM

bh84 wrote:

Well that was your problem... you were on a couch

|

8/8/2018 10:29 AM

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

BobPA wrote:

You mean to tell me Screw U is shaped like a U?!?!?!? blink laughing

|

8/8/2018 10:43 AM

raced amateur day there in early 90's..so musta been a friday. we started with mostly grass. rocks weren't an issue..no more than any other track. I thought track was beautiful....glad i drove there and raced it.

|

8/8/2018 10:53 AM

GangGreen wrote:

Photo

SeaClassExpert wrote:

Lol GangGreen brought receipts, well done.

That is interesting, you learn something every day!!. When I raced there in the mid 90's, "Screw-U" was the down hill/up hill on the other side by the finish line like BobPA said. I never got to ride it because they always had it sectioned off for the amateur days.

|

8/8/2018 11:04 AM

GangGreen wrote:

Photo

I usually side with MXA, but they are wrong here.
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Screw-U,1258445

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

8/8/2018 1:35 PM

BroFoSho wrote:

Well that was your problem... you were on a couch

Still cleared every jump there. Not bad for a couch.

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2003 KTM 125SX
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R

8/8/2018 1:39 PM

Unadilla is awesome! Photo

|

From dirt bikes to dirty strikes! Bowl on PBA tour @wozbowls. Oh...and I'm MXPTV.

8/8/2018 1:45 PM

GangGreen wrote:

Photo

mx317 wrote:

I went to a Trans Am race in the mid seventies and Gravity Cavity was called "Screw You". Might just have been a response to "the other side sucks" chant.

|

8/8/2018 3:04 PM

Unadilla was awesome, now that they have taken most of the technical sections out it's just another track. It's really sad what has happened to the great Unadilla. The other side sucks chants that echoed through the valley can now be replaced with "this section SUCKS!".

|

8/8/2018 5:28 PM

HillPeopleHaveBeers wrote:

Unadilla was awesome, now that they have taken most of the technical sections out it's just another track. It's really sad what has happened to the great Unadilla. The other side sucks chants that echoed through the valley can now be replaced with "this section SUCKS!".

I agree I think some of the changes weren't necessary.

Like the section after Gravity Cavity, by adding the jumps and making other sections have bigger jumps. The skyshot is cool, but they could have left most everything else the way it was 20 years ago.

|

8/8/2018 5:34 PM

mx317 wrote:

This. I am also going on the fact that all the old heads who have gone there since the 70’s will tell you the same....

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

8/8/2018 5:41 PM

We used to race our motorsickles when the motos were manly length, had three inches of travel, and there were riots at every national.

You kids get off my lawn!

|

8/8/2018 6:04 PM

GangGreen wrote:

Photo

mx317 wrote:

BobPA wrote:

This. I am also going on the fact that all the old heads who have gone there since the 70’s will tell you the same....

Been going since the late 70's and gravity cavity was never referred to as "screw you."

|

8/8/2018 6:29 PM

mx317 wrote:

BobPA wrote:

Huckster wrote:

Been going since the late 70's and gravity cavity was never referred to as "screw you."

Went thru the 70s.
My 1st one, I think it was an inter-am, 1972, sat next to Torsten Hallman in the riders meeting.
It was screw u before the pc police changed it,
the vertical hill on the track was the wall,
and the ridge across the street, where the camping got wild, was the hill.

Now.... Get off my lawn

|

8/8/2018 7:21 PM

Need the changes so the track "flows", can't have the pros ride a track that doesn't....

|