Unadilla Bench Racing - The Motos

PRM31
8/13/2016 6:53pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2016 6:56pm
Can Ken possibly be as good on a Honda (or any other bike)? He is dialed in.

Eli on the other hand is not the same guy as before his 2015 Lakwood crash.

Oh, and I would not enjoy riding that track. I hate ruts. I don't even like watching them race on rut infested tracks.
kiwifan
8/13/2016 6:59pm
PRM31 wrote:
Can Ken possibly be as good on a Honda (or any other bike)? He is dialed in. Eli on the other hand is not the same...
Can Ken possibly be as good on a Honda (or any other bike)? He is dialed in.

Eli on the other hand is not the same guy as before his 2015 Lakwood crash.

Oh, and I would not enjoy riding that track. I hate ruts. I don't even like watching them race on rut infested tracks.
Quite possible he can be as good on any other bike

ET did very well, KR was just better...isnt that the difference? Easy to blame ET or the bike.
Surly100
8/14/2016 1:10am
Very encouraging to see Dean Wilson get a top 5 in the 2nd moto. Surely now between him and Shaun Simpson for the final place on the British MxDN team (Anstie 250, Searle 450). I'd go with Wilson personally. And it's a team that's capable of podiuming with a bit of luck.

The Shop

Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
8/14/2016 1:29am
Surly100 wrote:
Very encouraging to see Dean Wilson get a top 5 in the 2nd moto. Surely now between him and Shaun Simpson for the final place on...
Very encouraging to see Dean Wilson get a top 5 in the 2nd moto. Surely now between him and Shaun Simpson for the final place on the British MxDN team (Anstie 250, Searle 450). I'd go with Wilson personally. And it's a team that's capable of podiuming with a bit of luck.
It looked like he had some fight in him, which was good to see. Really enjoy watching him ride, awesome style
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
2109th
8/14/2016 4:20am
Add a few trees and looks like GNCC to me!
philG
8/14/2016 4:58am
chad_111 wrote:
yes, look at this video from the 2001 unadilla and jump to 11:38. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3xdpGwLlhw
yes, look at this video from the 2001 unadilla and jump to 11:38. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3xdpGwLlhw
ohhhhhh .... Loam.. remember that.
philG
8/14/2016 12:10pm
chad_111 wrote:
philG wrote:
well i watched all of that, well, because i can.. and watching it, i got to thinking , would RC have been able to ride the way he did on todays tracks, hanging it out with such a low rear ride height.

Also , how tight was the racing, RC , Tortelli, Windham(pre meltdown im guessing) Ryno , Ferry etc were all right there till way into the 2nd Moto.

The track prep for me was perfect , wet enough to just have no dust is as wet as needs to be, and obvoiusly not ripped at all. The layout allowed riders to square off turns , and make passes which they struggle to do today. Plus it looked rough , not just rutted rough, but bumpy rough.

I like the layout of the newer track , but it would be great to see decent soil again.
IceMan446
8/14/2016 12:22pm
chad_111 wrote:
philG wrote:
philG wrote:
well i watched all of that, well, because i can.. and watching it, i got to thinking , would RC have been able to ride the...
well i watched all of that, well, because i can.. and watching it, i got to thinking , would RC have been able to ride the way he did on todays tracks, hanging it out with such a low rear ride height.

Also , how tight was the racing, RC , Tortelli, Windham(pre meltdown im guessing) Ryno , Ferry etc were all right there till way into the 2nd Moto.

The track prep for me was perfect , wet enough to just have no dust is as wet as needs to be, and obvoiusly not ripped at all. The layout allowed riders to square off turns , and make passes which they struggle to do today. Plus it looked rough , not just rutted rough, but bumpy rough.

I like the layout of the newer track , but it would be great to see decent soil again.
I dont think mother nature listens to all of our requests.

Ruts are inevitable when it rains that much before the weekend.
philG
8/14/2016 12:38pm
IceMan446 wrote:
I dont think mother nature listens to all of our requests.

Ruts are inevitable when it rains that much before the weekend.
i agree to a point , but one thing we have seen over here , with track prep, is that the over grading and ripping turns the ground into a sponge, which soaks up the water far more than the grassed area around it , rather than being soaked up by the grass.

We had a race earlier this year . went to set up day and the guy was ready to rip it as he is usually asked to by the club that used it before, be we asked him not to, as the forecast looked a bit moist,it rained A LOT, and i went out to do a sight lap to check the flaggers and almost didnt get round, but because the dirt was hard on the top, the water didnt go in far , and once the slop had gone after practice , it rode really really well , apart from a few soft patches.. the old Unadilla , with the grass, would be hard underneath, relatively, compared to how deep it got this weekend.. i cant remember what it was like last year , but for me a track that makes you have to pick a line form one corner to the other, is not going to give good racing.

I guess the old track lets the riders race each other, whereas now , its lots of guys just racing the track at the same time. Lap time spread now is huge compared to what it used to be like, and looking at those races, there were good journeyman guys in the top 10-15, same as this week.
Pirate421
8/14/2016 5:12pm
I've gone to unadilla and southwick many times over the years and rain or shine they water the hell out of unadilla and rip it deep. Practice is always a mud fest and the racing ends up sucking pretty bad and there have been injuries every time due to ruts. Was standing right there when byrner broke his leg.

Southwick otoh while sand, doesn't get hardly any ruts comparatively. I was at southwick this year and watching Tomac and Roczen go at it for nearly 30 minutes was awesome, instead of tip toeing thru knee deeps ruts.

Long story short I love unadilla but the track prep has always boggled my mind I really hate the racing there.
Ted722
8/14/2016 8:10pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2016 8:12pm
Crush wrote:
If BTO doesn't sign Bloss for next year they're on drugs.
kiwifan wrote:
x2
Lots of posts on the track...back to Benny. That was a breakout ride for Benny! I love it when a rider takes it to the next level. After the weekend BTO had, that's as good as a win. Awesome.

Post a reply to: Unadilla Bench Racing - The Motos

The Latest