Uh-Oh

JOHN CHOATE
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 2:21pm
I heard form an industry insider today that the American affiliate of one of the Big 4 will be filling for bankruptcy during the first quarter of 2010. This is terrible news if it comes to fruition.
|
Wandell
11/3/2009 7:51pm
Whoever it is, it ain't good.Sad
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
11/3/2009 7:59pm
Key word is "if".

Hope not!
JOHN CHOATE
11/3/2009 8:42pm
Yeah, I hope not too, but it sounded inevitable. Key word "sounded" Unsure

The Shop

drmarkr
11/3/2009 8:51pm
No Obama bailout to be found??
DanDunes818
11/3/2009 8:51pm
Can someone tell me why Suzukis don't sell? I don't get it. I've been a devoted Suzuki rider since I got on 60cc's in 1978 and have been on them ever since with the exception of 80 and 81 I was on yamadogs. Lately though (last 5 years or so) i'm usually the only guy on the line on a yellow bike. What's weird is it seems the more championships suzuki wins the less bikes they sell. Honda hasn't won anything on the national level in years but for some reason 7 out of 10 big bikes at the track are red. Atleast that's how it is up here in the NW. Is it the color? I don't get it.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
2005th
11/3/2009 9:13pm
Can someone tell me why Suzukis don't sell? I don't get it. I've been a devoted Suzuki rider since I got on 60cc's in 1978 and...
Can someone tell me why Suzukis don't sell? I don't get it. I've been a devoted Suzuki rider since I got on 60cc's in 1978 and have been on them ever since with the exception of 80 and 81 I was on yamadogs. Lately though (last 5 years or so) i'm usually the only guy on the line on a yellow bike. What's weird is it seems the more championships suzuki wins the less bikes they sell. Honda hasn't won anything on the national level in years but for some reason 7 out of 10 big bikes at the track are red. Atleast that's how it is up here in the NW. Is it the color? I don't get it.
I am completely speaking out my ass here, but here goes my thoughts regardless.

Suzuki went through a time when their bikes weren't that great... on the pro level or stock out of the box. The quality wasn't there, and the performance wasn't there. Now, you have your bike buying market filled with Vet riders who won't buy a Suzuki because they sucked back then, and you have the new generation of guys who won't buy the bikes because they were told how bad they sucked while growing up, so therefore, they think they still suck.

Now that Suzuki has their stuff figured out, and they offer a good bike, it'll take time, but they can regain the image needed to attract new buyers. It's a funny world.

I say look at KTM. They had a bad rap for so long, that even though they make a pretty damn good bike now, most won't even give them a thought when purchasing a new ride. It's improving, but it takes time.

Honda can have a bad bike here and there, and can afford to not win races because they have a legacy that gets passed on that is the opposite of KTM and Suzuki... Grandpa told Daddy Honda is the best, and Sonny believes that till he quits riding and passes it along to his Sonny.

Cars are the same way. How many families do you know that the whole family, generation after generation drive either Chevy or Ford and the other one sucks?

Done making shit up that I think makes sense. Peace!
11/3/2009 9:13pm
I heard form an industry insider today that the American affiliate of one of the Big 4 will be filling for bankruptcy during the first quarter...
I heard form an industry insider today that the American affiliate of one of the Big 4 will be filling for bankruptcy during the first quarter of 2010. This is terrible news if it comes to fruition.
Bad news completely!!!!!! I like all 4 brands, Buell just went down, wtf next?
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4434th
11/3/2009 9:32pm
If they are, it probably has very little to do with their off-road 2 wheeler sales performance and everything to do with their road bike and ATV sales performance.
JOHN CHOATE
11/4/2009 5:43am
Can someone tell me why Suzukis don't sell? I don't get it. I've been a devoted Suzuki rider since I got on 60cc's in 1978 and...
I am completely speaking out my ass here, but here goes my thoughts regardless. Suzuki went through a time when their bikes weren't that great... on...
I am completely speaking out my ass here, but here goes my thoughts regardless.

Suzuki went through a time when their bikes weren't that great... on the pro level or stock out of the box. The quality wasn't there, and the performance wasn't there. Now, you have your bike buying market filled with Vet riders who won't buy a Suzuki because they sucked back then, and you have the new generation of guys who won't buy the bikes because they were told how bad they sucked while growing up, so therefore, they think they still suck.

Now that Suzuki has their stuff figured out, and they offer a good bike, it'll take time, but they can regain the image needed to attract new buyers. It's a funny world.

I say look at KTM. They had a bad rap for so long, that even though they make a pretty damn good bike now, most won't even give them a thought when purchasing a new ride. It's improving, but it takes time.

Honda can have a bad bike here and there, and can afford to not win races because they have a legacy that gets passed on that is the opposite of KTM and Suzuki... Grandpa told Daddy Honda is the best, and Sonny believes that till he quits riding and passes it along to his Sonny.

Cars are the same way. How many families do you know that the whole family, generation after generation drive either Chevy or Ford and the other one sucks?

Done making shit up that I think makes sense. Peace!
The 08 Suzuki 450 was a huge flop with case breakage and that was last years model.
pitbike502
11/4/2009 6:32am
The 08 Suzuki 450 was a huge flop with case breakage and that was last years model.
just because they had a bad case on a bunch of models does not mean the bike was crap. i didnt hear any one pop up and say the 09 crf 450 had a bad decompression pin and it was cleaning out engines! the 08 rmz was and is a great bike,turns wonderfully, starts up 2 kicks, very nice linear power, very good bike.

i think what 448 said is quite true, honda has an almost masterful legacy, and suzuki has a bad rep. but i wouldnt worry too much about the bankruptcy, look at chevy, dodge, donald trump, etc.. doesnt mean theyre going away, just clearing some bills
vetarider
11/4/2009 7:03am
I hope not considering all involved and the sport in general.

Self centered moment - Damn, I just picked up a '78 RM250. I hope I can still get what few OEM parts are available.

Ok back to the subject. Would their car sales have an impact on this decision, or is the auto and motorcycle biz separate?
gt80rider
11/4/2009 7:06am
I heard form an industry insider today that the American affiliate of one of the Big 4 will be filling for bankruptcy during the first quarter...
I heard a lot of rumors of that type all year long....... everyone is still up and operating...... it's just a rumor by someone trying to spread doom and gloom.....
lumpy790
11/4/2009 7:19am
In traveling I have found that the majority of brands on a starting line have a lot to do with there being a good supporting dealer. Back in the 80's Kawasaki's were far from the ideal bike but......Cycle 5 Kawasaki in Maryland had the lines filled with them.

Here in the Carolinas Suzukis used to fill the starting lines.....from Gastonia Suzuki. I stopped in last week and was talking to the owner. He said that since his nephews stopped racing a couple years ago...they had stopped going to the tracks and since then his MX sales have pretty much stopped.

Highsider
11/4/2009 7:42am
vetarider wrote:
I hope not considering all involved and the sport in general. Self centered moment - Damn, I just picked up a '78 RM250. I hope I...
I hope not considering all involved and the sport in general.

Self centered moment - Damn, I just picked up a '78 RM250. I hope I can still get what few OEM parts are available.

Ok back to the subject. Would their car sales have an impact on this decision, or is the auto and motorcycle biz separate?
Volkswagen is looking to buy into the Suzuki auto division.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
11/4/2009 7:42am
I won't use them cause IMO the quality still isn't all there still (my RM85 was the worst bike i ever had, motor was awesome, handled awesome, super twitchy at speed, and fell apart every other time i rode it) my current kawi's, few hondas, ktm, and the two yami's we had never had even close to the problems the suzuki did, even with all their problems combined. Dad had the same problem back in the 70's with a suzuki tm (400? can't remember the size) it was just junk.
Motodude
11/4/2009 7:58am
sooooo y'all have agreed its suzuki I take it?
Racer92
11/4/2009 8:25am
The main reason for the disparity in Suzuki vs the other brands right now is that most local-yocal MX riders are sheep and dont think for themselves. They wanna assimilate and do what the other sheep do. They take any rumor or myth and believe it like it was gospel.
11/4/2009 8:37am
I put in 50 races on my 04 RM250 with very little problems. That is a great bike. We'll see how the RMZ450 does long-term.
WhKnuckle
11/4/2009 8:46am
Racer92 wrote:
The main reason for the disparity in Suzuki vs the other brands right now is that most local-yocal MX riders are sheep and dont think for...
The main reason for the disparity in Suzuki vs the other brands right now is that most local-yocal MX riders are sheep and dont think for themselves. They wanna assimilate and do what the other sheep do. They take any rumor or myth and believe it like it was gospel.
Tell Felicia to keep you away from sharp objects for a while. Or go watch that Jeff Beck DVD, that'll make you feel better.

Seriously, this is really bad news. I hope it doesn't happen.
rmgsxr
11/4/2009 9:14am
The motorcycles have supported auto for years at Suzuki. Auto had more reps, advertising and other expenditures that are getting thinned out now I think. Maybe to late.

This whole 08 RM-Z450 turd thing bringing down the ship cracks me up. Their GSX-Rs and Boulevards have been great and sold tons. They may be slow now but they did great. Right now Suzuki has the lowest warehouse inventory than anyone and from what I have heard and seen is that they are doing the best job of tightening the belt.

But this is all just my opinion.
Racer92
11/4/2009 10:08am
WhKnuckle wrote:
Tell Felicia to keep you away from sharp objects for a while. Or go watch that Jeff Beck DVD, that'll make you feel better. Seriously, this...
Tell Felicia to keep you away from sharp objects for a while. Or go watch that Jeff Beck DVD, that'll make you feel better.

That DVD is badass! That young chick on the bass is pretty good too.

I agree, hope its a false rumor.
WhKnuckle
11/4/2009 10:11am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 6:46pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
Tell Felicia to keep you away from sharp objects for a while. Or go watch that Jeff Beck DVD, that'll make you feel better. Seriously, this...

Racer92 wrote:
That DVD is badass! That young chick on the bass is pretty good too. [img]http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbs.gif[/img] I agree, hope its a false rumor.
That DVD is badass! That young chick on the bass is pretty good too.

I agree, hope its a false rumor.
Glad you liked it. That's Tal Wilkenfeld, she's terrific - so is the drummer and keyboardist.

But even if Zuke files for bankruptcy protection, that doesn't mean they're going out of business. They'll just do a Ch. 11 deal and customers will never know the difference. And who knows, maybe it's not even Suzuki - maybe it's Honda. Just because you sell lots of bikes doesn't mean you're making lots of money. Like the salesman who made a deal to sell products below cost said, "Don't worry, we'll make up for it in volume."
rmgsxr
11/4/2009 10:18am
Or could it be a color that has no auto or ship manufacturing to back things up?

But then again, maybe they are selling the shit out of pianos right now.
flarider
11/4/2009 10:22am
Japan's Yamaha president resigns

(AFP) – Oct 26, 2009

TOKYO — Yamaha Motor President Takashi Kajikawa announced his resignation on Monday, with the Japanese motorcycle maker suffering massive losses, officials said.

Yamaha Chairman Tsuneji Togami, 63, will replace Kajikawa on November 1, while the chairman post will be vacant for now, Yamaha said in a statement. Kajikawa will stay at the company as a board director.

In August Yamaha said its net loss in 2009 would swell to 182 billion yen (1.98 billion dollars), more than four times bigger than previously expected, because of sluggish sales and a strong yen.
Sawblade
11/4/2009 10:22am
ML512 wrote:
I won't use them cause IMO the quality still isn't all there still (my RM85 was the worst bike i ever had, motor was awesome, handled...
I won't use them cause IMO the quality still isn't all there still (my RM85 was the worst bike i ever had, motor was awesome, handled awesome, super twitchy at speed, and fell apart every other time i rode it) my current kawi's, few hondas, ktm, and the two yami's we had never had even close to the problems the suzuki did, even with all their problems combined. Dad had the same problem back in the 70's with a suzuki tm (400? can't remember the size) it was just junk.
Define "fell apart every other time I rode it".

Highsider
11/4/2009 10:47am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2009 9:35am
rmgsxr wrote:
Or could it be a color that has no auto or ship manufacturing to back things up? But then again, maybe they are selling the shit...
Or could it be a color that has no auto or ship manufacturing to back things up?

But then again, maybe they are selling the shit out of pianos right now.
From Dave's post, they aren't moving many pianos.
OT: see you at Merwin this weekend?

Post a reply to: Uh-Oh

The Latest