Ugliest gear era we've ever had

moto_on
Edited Date/Time 2/19/2022 4:23am
Hunters gear takes the cake. Pun intended.
|
2/15/2022 2:13am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2022 2:16am
Agreed. Alot of the gear theses days has too much going on, too tight (yes my belly doesn't help), and really odd color combos. My all time favorite gear was Fro''s from 97, the snow camo pants and black jersey with the white cuffs was the definition of cool in my book. All the early Shift stuff was classic.
https://images.app.goo.gl/5cqt4v3nbHc9DWdd6
moto_on
2/15/2022 2:38am
Agreed. Alot of the gear theses days has too much going on, too tight (yes my belly doesn't help), and really odd color combos. My all...
Agreed. Alot of the gear theses days has too much going on, too tight (yes my belly doesn't help), and really odd color combos. My all time favorite gear was Fro''s from 97, the snow camo pants and black jersey with the white cuffs was the definition of cool in my book. All the early Shift stuff was classic.
Yes. The gear all seems to be one dimension as well just colors that shouldn't be together being put together. Nothing really pops like the gear you mentioned. Like Andersons gear what is that that pastel teal? I feel bad for someone like him who has insane style on a bike to have to wear that stuff. Mc, Fro, even 199 are never wearing that. The baggy gear thing I felt was part of what kept moto badass and different from other sports. Its like when the emo scene happened and dudes started wearing skinny jeans I pushed back on that trend as well.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
2/15/2022 2:47am
Nah, 2008ish-2012 not including twotwo's shift was the worst. I liked Anderson's gear this weekend. But I'm not of retirement age either... Whistling

The Shop

2/15/2022 3:20am
One thing is for sure, if you ain't the correct body type (I'm not), you're in trouble when it comes to gear options.
MKMX
2/15/2022 3:27am
One thing is for sure, if you ain't the correct body type (I'm not), you're in trouble when it comes to gear options.
I didn’t change size, but my gear did.
JMX82
2/15/2022 3:33am
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that the skin tight riding gear trend is hideous. It doesn't even look good on well trained pro riders not mention vet riders who have other priorities in their lives than trying to stay fit as pro athletes.

I think the gear manufactures have dropped the ball on this one and totally ignoring large number of weekend warriors who are buying riding gear
2/15/2022 3:45am
16/17/18 was the worst when every company made the same minimalistic two color stuff
RaceFace58
2/15/2022 4:31am
Agreed. Alot of the gear theses days has too much going on, too tight (yes my belly doesn't help), and really odd color combos. My all...
moto_on wrote:
Yes. The gear all seems to be one dimension as well just colors that shouldn't be together being put together. Nothing really pops like the gear...
Yes. The gear all seems to be one dimension as well just colors that shouldn't be together being put together. Nothing really pops like the gear you mentioned. Like Andersons gear what is that that pastel teal? I feel bad for someone like him who has insane style on a bike to have to wear that stuff. Mc, Fro, even 199 are never wearing that. The baggy gear thing I felt was part of what kept moto badass and different from other sports. Its like when the emo scene happened and dudes started wearing skinny jeans I pushed back on that trend as well.
I agree but I’m assuming it’s his choice on the colors. Tomac is A-Star to and he’s always got a cool color combo on. I don’t know what this tight trend is tho especially when they all wear under protectors. Jett especially looks like he’s worried about defensive lineman being able to grab onto his Jersey or that he’s about to go scuba diving.
reded301
2/15/2022 4:45am
The only thing I want to fit tight are my socks and underwear. I’m not riding a dirtbike in a scuba suit.
2/15/2022 5:02am
97 was a good yr, MC ,s yellow and black fox looked great I hv 2 sets yet. Along with same color Shift, matching Jersey never worn. About 7 pairs of 90,s gear, I still fit into. 97 Indy Emig won his green pants with the chrome shift letters reflected great in the lights.
moto_on
2/15/2022 5:32am
Grouper wrote:
fatties stay angry lol
It doesn't look good on the skinny riders either. Its not a fat or skinny thing its that the gear companies have gone to tight and it looks ridiculous.
Motofinne
2/15/2022 5:40am
Grouper wrote:
fatties stay angry lol
moto_on wrote:
It doesn't look good on the skinny riders either. Its not a fat or skinny thing its that the gear companies have gone to tight and...
It doesn't look good on the skinny riders either. Its not a fat or skinny thing its that the gear companies have gone to tight and it looks ridiculous.
Do you realize that you can buy a size lager than usual and the tight gear will fit you slightly looser and be 10x more comfortable than the baggy and heavy gear from 10-15 years ago?
dl117
Fantasy
2587th
2/15/2022 5:41am
its weird how sizing works nowdays, I have a few sets of my old No Fear from 05/06 and my large jerseys still fit me, but now the "athletic cut" of the new stuff, I have to buy them in 2xl
Gworm
2/15/2022 6:01am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2022 6:03am
reded301 wrote:
The only thing I want to fit tight are my socks and underwear. I’m not riding a dirtbike in a scuba suit.
Me, too.

It’s not just riding gear, if you ever watch SWAT on tv, all of their shirts are painted on. Makes me claustrophobic just seeing them.

Styles change every few years just to up sales.

And Groyper, yes, I’m fat.
2/15/2022 6:12am
97 was a good yr, MC ,s yellow and black fox looked great I hv 2 sets yet. Along with same color Shift, matching Jersey never...
97 was a good yr, MC ,s yellow and black fox looked great I hv 2 sets yet. Along with same color Shift, matching Jersey never worn. About 7 pairs of 90,s gear, I still fit into. 97 Indy Emig won his green pants with the chrome shift letters reflected great in the lights.
I have some of that old shift gear. I've been tempted to steal the reflective logos and add them to the newer camo pants. But I don't want to have to destroy the old school pants
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
2/15/2022 6:15am
moto_on wrote:
Yes. The gear all seems to be one dimension as well just colors that shouldn't be together being put together. Nothing really pops like the gear...
RaceFace58 wrote:
I agree but I’m assuming it’s his choice on the colors. Tomac is A-Star to and he’s always got a cool color combo on. I don’t...
I agree but I’m assuming it’s his choice on the colors. Tomac is A-Star to and he’s always got a cool color combo on. I don’t know what this tight trend is tho especially when they all wear under protectors. Jett especially looks like he’s worried about defensive lineman being able to grab onto his Jersey or that he’s about to go scuba diving.
Tighter fitting gear is better for heat regulation so it does have a purpose. That said Barcia’s Troy lee gear has gone a bit far
Zoom
2/15/2022 6:23am
Yeah they need to go back to all that baggy gear that flaps in the wind and works as a spoiler...

The gear now is a performance cut compression fit. Its also called an athletic cut that helps the athlete perform better. Just like cyclist, runners etc., that want the least amount of resistance.

As far as colorways go, every brand has about 20 or more different options. There is plenty of plain Jane colors for every one, just like there are weird and different colorways for that crowd too.
2/15/2022 6:24am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2022 6:25am
Do you guys remember LBZ fur pants? I only saw a few pictures of them because I think it was just a thing for team guys, but I bought these Grinch costume pants and my mother-in-law sewed some stuff on there to make them rideable.
JMX82
2/15/2022 6:48am
Motofinne wrote:
Do you realize that you can buy a size lager than usual and the tight gear will fit you slightly looser and be 10x more comfortable...
Do you realize that you can buy a size lager than usual and the tight gear will fit you slightly looser and be 10x more comfortable than the baggy and heavy gear from 10-15 years ago?
Size larger gear doesn't work that good either because then the shirt sleeves and pant legs are too long. Also in my case the waist of pants is too loose when I go one size larger and I don't want to drop my pants while I'm riding Grinning
sandtrack315
2/15/2022 6:50am
I thought Hunter's AStars was cool, like red Italian terrazo. But yeah, I would not wear it. But in general I think the AStars and FXR gear is pretty good looking lately. Fox/Shift has been disappointing, though.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
2/15/2022 7:39am
Baggy gear was the fad. Other than Barcia and a maybe a couple others, the overall fit is closer to the pre-90s leather pants and cotton jerseys.

Timo
2/15/2022 7:55am
I bought some brand new shift gear and burned a hole in the knee on the first ride. Bought brand new fly gear and burned a hole in the knee on the first ride. I now just were my old work pants, 100% cotton FR rated, and haven't had any issues burning holes in the knees. I may not look as cool, but the new plastic gear is way overpriced junk.
SonofThor32
2/15/2022 8:16am
The Alpinestars gear Hunter has been wearing the past few races, I keep waiting for the Easter bunny to come running by or something, he looks like a pretty painted Easter egg. Flip side, it is catchy, and you can't miss him on the track. I just can't imagine who would ever actually buy it.
Moto520
2/15/2022 8:59am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2022 9:01am
I like the new stuff. The super lite top of the line gear from most gear companies today is super athletic. You can run in that stuff if you wanted. The old stuff is stuffy to wear and overly thick. I'm glad that they went with the more athletic fit for the top end gear. The mid tier stuff is generally pretty loose and better for the fatasses.

Post a reply to: Ugliest gear era we've ever had

The Latest